FPS and resolution fights...so this is this gens s#!tstain?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

The uber-popularity of Digital Foundry and the sudden sprouting of dozens of other "tech-comparison" YT-channels and dedicated articles is probably one of that saddest (and funniest) things to come out of this gen.

Last gen the fight against the filthy casuals was the embarrassing thing that made me want nothing to do with the title of "gamer", this one now has this stupid shit filling the pockets of gaming sites and pseudo-jurnalizts, the quick and dirty way. Thats the sad part.

The funny one is that most of these click-bait articles, aimed at the easy console warrior prey, are offering comparisons that only really affect these gamers ON PAPER.

• 1080p VS 900p? (Chances are you won't really notice it anyway)
  • Locked 30fps VS unlocked 30fps with 28fps dips max? (Chances are you won't notice or care about it)
  • Mario Kart 8 being 59fps with the 60th frame being a duplicate instead of 100% 60fps? (loooool **** off)

For fucks sake people. This is how you want to feed gaming sites and channels? Giving them 50.000.000 views over grass density comparisons in GTAV?

There is currently a movement to create the impression of considerable disparity between the XBONE and PS4, and how important this should be to you the consumer, when its not really the case. So much so that the word "parity" in the gaming world is met with the same reaction of someone dropping some horrible racist or pro-nazi claim in public.

Logic and perspective are taking a long break it seems. Meanwhile these jurnalizts laugh all their way to the bank by starting easy fights between people who own incredibly similar machines.

GG jurnos! GG

The joke is on us

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Buy the current gen 8 leader PS4 and enjoy.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thunderdrone

@Heil68 said:

I own a PS4

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Welcome to last gen? It's just a rinse and repeat.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

I own a PS4

Congratulations.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

I don't know, I think it's only human to have curiosity what FPS and resolution games are running.

Is it wrong to be curios?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thunderdrone

@lundy86_4 said:

Welcome to last gen? It's just a rinse and repeat.

Nah, this might have been a thing last gen also. But this gen it blew up something fierce, you're kidding me?

Going by some of the backtracking and hilarious apologies I've been seeing, PR departments must be currently distributing pamphlets informing that the word "parity" should not be used in any case. Thats some next level nonsense right there.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Last gen, console users couldn't tell the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS or 720p vs 1080p. Funny how things turn out huh.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

I can certaintly tell a difference. It's not like I sit 10 feet away from my TV.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Thunderdrone

@Heil68 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

I own a PS4

Congratulations.

And to all XBONE only owners I'm the first to say that on a technical standpoint, they are not losing much, if anything at all.

The extra power on the PS4 is not significant enough to mean shit.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

I own a PS4

Congratulations.

And to all XBONE only owners I'm the first to say that on a technical standpoint, they are not losing much, if anything at all.

Means everything in here and it looks like the general population is embracing it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Digital Foundry and other sites (LensofTruth, IGN, Gametrailers, etc) were used a lot last generation for comparisons as well.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EZs

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

Congratulations.

Your significant is subjective.

PS4 graphic power is objectively 50% more powerful than the XBONE.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

Nah, this might have been a thing last gen also. But this gen it blew up something fierce, you're kidding me?

Going by some of the backtracking and hilarious apologies I've been seeing, PR departments must be currently distributing pamphlets informing that the word "parity" should not be used in any case. Thats some next level nonsense right there.

It was pretty hot last gen. The onset of Digital Foundry really blew it up, because we had a legitimate source... Then came claims of bias... Yada... Yada.

Parity is pretty new... It's also bullshit. Lame.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thunderdrone

@EZs said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

Congratulations.

Very impressive number... that doesn't translate visually? You will never see a good PS4 port perform 50% better than a good XBONE port.

Texture resolution will not be consistently 50% more detailed on PS4.

Framerate average will not be 50% better on PS4.

Resolution will never be 50% higher on PS4.

So yeah, that "50%" means very little.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thunderdrone

@Heil68 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

I own a PS4

Congratulations.

Means everything in here and it looks like the general population is embracing it.

Hence the thread. Its stupid

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Digital Foundry and other sites (LensofTruth, IGN, Gametrailers, etc) were used a lot last generation for comparisons as well.

^ A lot being an understatement.. Every muliplat game that came out was scrutinized by LOT or DF..

OP where the hell have you been?

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@EZs said:

I don't know, I think it's only human to have curiosity what FPS and resolution games are running.

Is it wrong to be curios?

Is it wrong what is the only thing most gamers in gaming forums seem to care.

MCC multiplayer is not functional? **** that, we have more serious problems, GTA5 grass is greenier in the PS4 version...that must mean that the X1 version is an unplayable mess...

I'm agree with TC, this new obsession over FPS and resolution is stupid.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@SolidTy said:

^ A lot being an understatement.. Every muliplat game that came out was scrutinized by LOT or DF..

The comparison between the machines were huge last gen as they counted pixels, but I guess the TC didn't pay attention.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Thunderdrone

@OhSnapitz said:

@SolidTy said:

I don't remember developers being harassed on twitter until they spilled performance targets pre-launch to calm up the fanboys during the PS360 era.

Hell, the PS3 was more powerful than the 360, consistently got shittier multiplats, and STILL "parity" and framerate/resolution targets weren't go-to questions on every journalists interview notes as it seems to be now.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@SolidTy said:

I don't remember developers being harassed on twitter until they spilled performance targets pre-launch to calm up the fanboys during the PS360 era.

Hell, the PS3 was more powerful than the 360, consistently got shittier multiplats, and STILL "parity" and framerate/resolution targets weren't go-to questions on every journalists interview notes as it seems to be now.

Twitter wasn't really as much of a thing, duh.

Plus less "parity" speak and no obvious headline laughers like "30 faps is more cinematic"

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EZs

@madsnakehhh said:

MCC multiplayer is not functional? **** that, we have more serious problems, GTA5 grass is greenier in the PS4 version...that must mean that the X1 version is an unplayable mess...

Humans are visual creature, more grass is definitely better.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thunderdrone

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@SolidTy said:

Plus less "parity" speak and no obvious headline laughers like "30 faps is more cinematic"

The fact that someone out there felt the need to spin 30fps into something marketable says a lot about the fake interest most of the uninformed gaming community has in these spec numbers.

There is nothing wrong with 30fps in plenty of genres if 60fps wasn't achievable. There should be no need to attach dumb buzz words to convince a crowd that simply wants to fling shit at each other and see how much they can escalate things with big companies on the internet for the lulz.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

I'm sorry to hear you are blind

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

@Thunderdrone said:

@jg4xchamp said:

The fact that someone out there felt the need to spin 30fps into something marketable says a lot about the fake interest most of the uninformed gaming community has in these spec numbers.

There is nothing wrong with 30fps in plenty of genres if 60fps wasn't achievable. There should be no need to attach dumb buzz words to convince a crowd that simply wants to fling shit at each other and see how much they can escalate things with big companies on the internet for the lulz.

Eh, debateable. Especially because usually that means that work went all out into "lets make this shitty tree slightly more like a real tree" instead of making sure the gameplay is supreme as ****. To be fair though, that's what a PC is for.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Thunderdrone

@EZs said:

@madsnakehhh said:

Humans are visual creature, more grass is definitely better.

15% of extra grass density will not alter your experience or significantly impact your immersion in a non grass-based story, sandbox game with billions of other assets, effects, and moving parts.

The diference is not anywhere near important enough to be one of the main traffic bait articles on gaming sites and source of so much bickering between people who would probably not notice it even if they had both versions and no one pointed it out.

Developers shouldn't have to keep their PR teams on alert because shit like this is what the internets chose to blow out of proportion this year.

Reminds me of that dumb shit called Gamergate and how most people poking the flames obviously don't genuinely give a shit about it beyond watching their actions cause waves.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Thunderdrone

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Eh, debateable. Especially because usually that means that work went all out into "lets make this shitty tree slightly more like a real tree" instead of making sure the gameplay is supreme as ****. To be fair though, that's what a PC is for.

Thats an artistic decision. We should be pro-artist to an extent, no?

Voicing preferences is okay, but causing so much shit that these developers suddenly see themselves robbed of that choice or forced to spin things? Yeah not cool.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jg4xchamp

@Thunderdrone said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Thats an artistic decision. We should be pro-artist to an extent, no?

Voicing preferences is okay, but causing so much shit that these developers suddenly see themselves robbed of that choice or forced to spin things? Yeah not cool.

I'm pro make whatever the **** you want. Just understand I'm going to be pro- yo this gameplay sucks, because you tried to sell me a shallow game that was busy trying to be pretty than actually good.

But, yeah the recent behavior that gets spotlighted on the internet is a bit much. Reality is people have always been this terrible, but the internet gave everyone a license to be douchier without any punishment.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I agree, when DF has to go frame by frame and do extreme close ups of games that are meant to be played in motion just to see a difference, its all pointless, well it's done for site hits, views, traffic.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

lems really are desperate to see performance threads go away, well blame microsoft for making a pos console that hardly runs games at 900p.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Part of the reason console gaming is going to shit.

People rarely seem to care about the actual quality of games being released. There are so many more pressing matters to worry about such as the rate at which games are being re-released, the amount of rehashing going on, and the amount of broken games, and yet the most popular discussions in the gaming world are about minute differences in graphics that don't actually matter to people playing one version of the other.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

This was also a thing last gen but it's the same kind of bullshit this gen as well. Like last gen, the two consoles are pretty much the same from a technical standpoint. When you need to zoom into a picture at 500X magnification and you're comparing the amount of grass between two versions of game to see which version looks better and claiming a 2 fps advantage as something significant then they're the same in the real world.

I've seen both version of Battlefield 4 and I couldn't tell the difference between the two. I've also seen the both versions of some last gen Call of Duty games and surprise, surprise they looked identical. These comparisons are just for fanboys to throw shit at each other.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@Thunderdrone: TC, do you know that this doesn't affect you at all? Seeing as you don't seem to care about those things, you can ignore them.

On the other hand there are people like me get obsessive about graphics, fortunately I'm a PC gamer so "comparisons" are hardly appropriate. Some people really care about that last pixel. And it's fun to talk about.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@sailor232 said:

I agree, when DF has to go frame by frame and do extreme close ups of games that are meant to be played in motion just to see a difference, its all pointless, well it's done for site hits, views, traffic.

Kinda true, but these activities have been going on since the genesis/snes days.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It's definitely out of control and has turned normally sensible adults into bickering children. I think this minimal graphical edge the PS4 has over the X1 is one of the reasons it flew off the shelves at launch too, it's not all down to price. If you tell people one machine is more powerful than the other that's the one they want, it's as simple as that. Only hardcore Xbox fans insisted on buying an X1 and that's why MS have fallen so far behind.

It's kind of pathetic because as the TC said you can hardly tell the difference between most versions of games on both systems yet there seems to be a war every time a games comes out how many fps what resolution blah blah my console is better than yours it's like the entire console gaming populace had a mass lobotomy and can now only spew out the same gibberish over and over.

Equally hilarious is these comparison sites always end every 'face off' by saying it doesn't affect gameplay on either system and they still pretty much both look just as good. Why fucking bother then?

Before some clown calls me a lem or a cow I own both systems and a good gaming PC so I have no agenda here.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@EZs said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@Heil68 said:

Congratulations.

Nobody ever said that, one developer said it was 50% faster which doesn't equate to 50% more powerful

'According to sources speaking to Edge, the PS4's memory reader are 40-50% faster than the Xbox One. Its Arithmetic Logic Unit is also said to be about 50% speedier.'

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-is-50-faster-than-xbox-one-says-developers-1181352

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/166649-ps4-is-50-faster-than-xbox-one-report-game-developers

http://www.edge-online.com/news/power-struggle-the-real-differences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

On a PC, switching back and forth between 900p and 1080p you can easily see the difference. BUT sit someone down in front of a console and it is a different story. Everyone who claims they can notice a difference on consoles played Killzone MP thinking it was 1080p for the longest time.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I don't know where you been for the last 8 or so years but it's been like this for a long time.

And I'm not complaining, I like it.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#40  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I like this battle of fps/resolution, it shows how bad the consoles hardware are struggling at 1080p... which is a res that's been achieveable on any PC for way over a decade. If sony and microsoft wanted to cheap out so badly they should have delayed the console launch a couple years for cheaper hardware that could have at least achieved 1080p properly.

But if you can't notice a difference between 1080p and 900p(dafuk kinda resolution is that anyways?) or 720p, you are probably blind. Anything below 1080p is unacceptable in 2014.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

900p vs 1080p you can't tell the difference... really?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Everyone is a hardware technician these days. People like to act like they are the end all of knowledge when it comes to hardware. People like to forget that its the games is what makes the hardware stand out. Otherwise its just a lump. Nintendo said that gamers today lost its enchantment with games when they became all about system specs, and they are right. Now people think that the hardware is what makes the games what they are and that is not the case. It was never supposed to be the case.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Last gen, console users couldn't tell the difference between 30FPS and 60FPS or 720p vs 1080p. Funny how things turn out huh.

Lol yeah, funny that.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Oh please, let's not act like this didn't happen last gen either because it did generally it was on a much smaller scale however.

This is actually ancient history in fact, genesis does what nintendon't, blast processing, etc. It's a time honored tradition.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

What else are they supposed to do?

Xbone/PS4 users don't have many unique games to play. This is the kind of stuff that happens on platforms where all the best games are multiplats.

Wii U & PC gamers are the only 2 parties that are actually winning at anything important.