Forza or Forza: Horizon? Put On Your Seatbelt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Yes, many will say Forza has become a yearly franchise, and well, I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. Indeed. See, Horizon is a different beast compared to classic Forza. It's handled by different studios offering a solid, yet different racing experience for racing enthusiasts.

Much like how PGR once existed alongside Forza. Well, Forza: Horizon is PGR. It is, honestly. The vast majority of Playground Games is made up of members of Bizarre, and you can feel that. Horizon has that feel of pure fun combined with the right amount of sim, so anyone can jump in and tune their experience to their liking.

Now, on the other side of the fence, Forza. Forza, making GT its bitch. GT can be compared to a dentist's waiting room, while Forza, while stuck in its own loop, still a much more exciting and consistently great(bar F5) racing racer.

Now, I've played my fair share of Forza: and I've played my fair share of Forza: Horizon. And when it comes down to it, I prefer Horizon. It's fun. Like, fun fun. No bullshit, although I miss rivalries jn F:H2, it's still absolutely brilliant. The offroad introduction is more than welcome. It doesn't only serve as a "run through a field with some classic music on", but mechanically, they've catered the game to serve both asphalt and off-road racing to perfection. There are few games out there that get me as excited about racing a vehicle as the Horizon franchise. Burnout is great, but that's dead. Lesbohonest.

So, besides my little words on words, what's your opinion? More sim-heavy like Forza, or a PGR-like experience with a shot of cocaine in your gearbox like Forza: Horizon? Let me know. Let System Wars know.

And for Ps4 owners, Driveclub is alright, okay? I'll give you that. I hope Polyphony can do some good shit with GT. We'll be waiting.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

yea horizon is the ROAT

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
@wolverine4262 said:

yea horizon is the ROAT

Your ass better be at work or I'll bitch slap that ass.

Took a shot of some clouds while driving the truck at work. It's great, except for my finger blocking the screen. We were late back at work with furniture delivery because some bus decided to have its engine explode. It's in the newspaper. We were driving behind it. Shit's fucked, man. Good music on the radio though. Countdown the 90s kinda shit. Rhythm is a Dancer.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

They both have a lot to offer and I play them both for different reasons, the thing I like though is that there is a lot of transference from Horizon to Motorsport and vice-versa, if you learn how to play one game that will carry over into the other. I love Motorsport, but I am a bigger fan of Horizon, it's just about pure fun whereas every Motorsport is also fun but it's a more serious take on racing and driving.

I hope the next Horizon has a more diverse landscape with varying weather conditions and environments, a much larger scale with snowy mountains, tropical beaches, deserts, forests etc.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If I ever somehow find more time to play games, I would actually consider a XB1 almost entirely for the Forza franchise (and the few other exclusives I find marginally interesting). I haven't played Horizon yet, but I did play the (360) demo and loved it.

And if EA comes out with console-only Skate 4, then I really won't have an option to not get a new-gen console.

Forza's the bomb.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak

@foxhound_fox: Skate is such a weird game. I like it, don't get me wrong, but man, it takes getting used to. The control scheme is just out there, but nailing a nice combo of tricks, pulling that off with that control scheme.. yeah, feels good.

And you played the 360 version? Damn, son. That version is almost a rip-off compared to the X1 version. You talk about cross gen games looking similar, it isn't the case with F:H2. It's the only version of Horizon 2 you should play.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NyaDC

@freedomfreak said:

@foxhound_fox: Skate is such a weird game. I like it, don't get me wrong, but man, it takes getting used to. The control scheme is just out there, but nailing a nice combo of tricks, pulling that off with that control scheme.. yeah, feels good.

And you played the 360 version? Damn, son. That version is almost a rip-off compared to the X1 version. You talk about cross gen games looking similar, it isn't the case with F:H2. It's the only version of Horizon 2 you should play.

It's a massive difference, completely different game.

Loading Video...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak

@nyadc: Mmhm. I was unfortunate enough to have played the demo of the 360 version after playing the X1 version, and yeah, not brilliant.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

I just bought an Xbox One and Forza Horizon and Forza were two games I was very excited to play.

I'm really enjoying Forza Horizon at the moment. But I've always been more fond more arcadey racers.

Forza seems to be more realistic.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k: Horizon or Forza Forza, because Horizon can be tweaked to feel really arcade-y. Not Burnout-like though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:

@R4gn4r0k: Horizon or Forza Forza, because Horizon can be tweaked to feel really arcade-y. Not Burnout-like though.

No I meant I think I'll enjoy Horizon more because I've always been fond of more arcade racers :-)

But I have the Forza Xbox One so I have Forza 6 and will try it out once I got the hang more of Horizon 2.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
@R4gn4r0k said:

No I meant I think I'll enjoy Horizon more because I've always been fond of more arcade racers :-)

But I have the Forza Xbox One so I have Forza 6 and will try it out once I got the hang more of Horizon 2.

Ah, yeah, for sure. Horizon will definitely be up your alley moar.

Also, does that Xbox make the engine sound when you turn it on?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox

@freedomfreak said:

Skate is boss. And the trick stick or whatever the **** they call it is brilliant. The first game I literally "mastered" to the point where pulling off the hardest tricks were like child's play for me. 2 and 3 were a little bit "bigger" in terms of stuff to do, but I put an equal amount of time into both.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a new one yet. Especially with the announcement of the new Tony Hawk. The studio that makes Skate games was already working on 4 after 3 came out. So perhaps EA is waiting for Activision to make a move.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:

Ah, yeah, for sure. Horizon will definitely be up your alley moar.

Also, does that Xbox make the engine sound when you turn it on?

Yeah but especially the controller is really nice. The back side of the controller has this 'steering wheel' texture which I really like.

Used to be more of an arcade racer fan, and I used to always drive with the camera behind the car...

But I played Forza 5 at a mates house and I really liked it, it didn't feel "too realistic" if you catch my drift.

So forza was definitely a big reason for me to get an Xbox (with Rare and QB being the biggest).

I even turned off some options and am driving in first person in Horizon to make it more realistic.

I love how in Horizon you are doing a street race at one point, going off road the next and racing a train the next. Like you say: fun-fun ^^

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#16 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

I prefer the more traditional circuit racing, but Horizon is fun too. It is a shame that FH2 runs at 30fps and has so much motion blur though. Otherwise a great game, hampered by hardware limitations.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k: Exactly. And it's all about that. You taking small steps to becoming a better, non arcade driver, and I think Horizon does it quite well. And speaking of the controller, the force feedback on those triggers are so good. It's so gimmicky, but for things like racers it's absolutely brilliant.

@foxhound_fox: Won't disagree with you there, but the new Tony Hawk doesn't look that brilliant, and I don't think EA is interested in putting out another skating game. Seems people have moved past that, which is a shame because I quite like them.

@magicalclick:That sounds alright, but I doubt the Horizon franchise will ever go that "silly", but I do hope they will include motorcycles. It seems like the next step, considering that was the last big thing PGR did. Glad to have another Horizon fella here.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I prefer traditional track racing as well, it's the competitveness of it, it's even more competitve than shooters. FH is cool to play around with though.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

I agree they aren't yearly, but every other year is still a little quick for my tastes. They should mix in a 3rd racer (Rally Racer maybe) and put that in rotation so they are every 3 years as opposed to 2. I'm skipping Forza 6 because I bought Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2. If I didn't buy 5, I'd get 6, but there are still events for me to finish in both 5 and Horizon 2.

While Horizon may be made by a bunch of the same people as PGR, Horizon feels nothing like PGR imo. PGR was all about getting that drift perfect, in Horizon, it doesn't really matter if you botch it, just take the race to the grass, there's no real penalty for doing so. If I didn't previously know that Horizon had a bunch of Bizarre developers on the team, I would've never guessed it.

Also Forza Horizon >>>>>>> Forza Motorsports.

Just my opinions though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@freedomfreak said:

@foxhound_fox: Won't disagree with you there, but the new Tony Hawk doesn't look that brilliant, and I don't think EA is interested in putting out another skating game. Seems people have moved past that, which is a shame because I quite like them.

I'd be in the market for a new one.

And I just put in the first Skate into the 360 (been on for the first time in probably over a year now) and just pulled a 360 Hardflip 360 in the first 30 seconds of actual playing. Yeah, it's pretty much like riding a bike.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By freedomfreak

@iambatman7986: Not like PGR at all? I agree with the penalty stuff. Granted, PGR is a circuit racer, so going out of bounds is met by bouncing you back in by losing a lot of speed, much like how I look at Horizon and think "if I didn't take the turn quite well, I'll lose, not only speed, but I'm out of bounds, so I have to make that right". I understand your complaint, but at the same time I think that Horizon punishes you fairly similarly for letting your car slide. Having said that, I wouldn't be entirely against Horizon having more circuits-focused races. They take on a lot. Having this big open world, and applying it to actual gameplay, having fun tracks. Can't be easy. I'm not arguing against you. Honestly, I like having more explained Forza/Horizon posts in this forum, because I feel so little users play them properly.

But yeah, PGR is good shit. No argument from me. And yes, Bizzare peeps are all on Playground Games, and I feel the driving model is so close to PGR. It's this sweet balance between sim and arcade. It hits me good.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freedomfreak

@foxhound_fox: Not being able to get off your board though. I thought it was gimmicky in Tony Hawk's games, but it serves as a combo meter, and much the same in Skate, where it's just another option to go even further with your trick. Going back to board-only.. Yeah, like riding a bike :p

@magicalclick:It's like how TimeSplitters had this mode called "Virus". Absolutely brilliant. It's dumb and it's fun. That's all I need from my video games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak: Exactly

And yeah the Xbox One controller feels great for racers, I love it.

Have you played a lot of Forza 6 yet ?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@nyadc said:

They both have a lot to offer and I play them both for different reasons, the thing I like though is that there is a lot of transference from Horizon to Motorsport and vice-versa, if you learn how to play one game that will carry over into the other. I love Motorsport, but I am a bigger fan of Horizon, it's just about pure fun whereas every Motorsport is also fun but it's a more serious take on racing and driving.

I hope the next Horizon has a more diverse landscape with varying weather conditions and environments, a much larger scale with snowy mountains, tropical beaches, deserts, forests etc.

Yeah agreed on all points, except I prefer the motorsport games a little more.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

The only two Forza games I've played were Forza 4 on the Xbox 360 which I didn't much care for the traditional race track sim nature with a buttload of cars, however I liked the style of Horizon 2's open world and crazy races and found that much more enjoyable. Though not a fan of too much freedom and less structures to basically dictate the events. It's hard for me not to want to do muscle car races even if the game suggest I do a much different car class, and it's hard for me not to want to customize the hell out of every car class to its ultimate performance rather than enjoy a lesser rated car, though I should as that's not always the best thing, I put too much speed and power in a Fiat and I could barely control that thing.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

I literally picked up FH2 yesterday and I've played through around 4 championships so far and I'm really enjoying it. The open world design gives you a great sense of freedom while still having the solid driving mechanics of a Forza title and a great selection of cars. The music is icing on the cake.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I picked up Forza 6 earlier today on a whim. I've been dying to sink my teeth in another racing game. Should I expect good things?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Yes, Forza is the best sim on consoles and comes biyearly, Horizon is fucktacular arcade racer that also comes biyearly. Wonderful, wonderful games, system seller sfor me.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NyaDC

@locopatho said:

Yes, Forza is the best sim on consoles and comes biyearly, Horizon is fucktacular arcade racer that also comes biyearly. Wonderful, wonderful games, system seller sfor me.

Biyearly or biannually would mean twice a year, it comes biennially, that's a two year span.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

@freedomfreak: I agree that both pgr and horizon are excellent games. MS definitely has the driving genre on lock down. All their racing series have to notch mechanics. I just remember pgr having a total arcade feel while horizon is agreeably a perfect mix of the two mechanics.

I'd love another pgr. I miss getting my kudos.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

I appreciate the forza series on x1. Just got forza 6 but haven't had much time to play. Horizon 2 was cool, but got old quick

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Forza Horizon is better than ten years' worth of the Motorsport games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak
@R4gn4r0k said:

Exactly

Nah, not at all. Just been playing other stuff, and I bought the Storm Island expansion for H2 last week, because it was on sale. So, I'm focusing on that now.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Prefer Forza Motorsport over Forza Horzion but for Xbox One, I actually own Forza Horzion 2 and don't own FM5 or FM6.

Forza 6 not supporting my wheel was a deal breaker. Really wished the Motorsport series went to PC.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Only played Forza 5 and Horizon 2, Forza 5 was dogshit while Horizon 2 was fun.

Work it out.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I've always been a big Forza fan, just like i was a GT fan in it's hay day, but lately i've enjoyed Horizon much more, it's pick up and play fun with Forza's customization and (like you said) PGR's handling.

Hard to go wrong with that combo.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Exactly

Nah, not at all. Just been playing other stuff, and I bought the Storm Island expansion for H2 last week, because it was on sale. So, I'm focusing on that now.

The storm expansion was on sale last week ? How did I not see that :O

I'll def buy it too if it's on sale.

Right now I'm playing Forza Horizon 2 and Banjo Kazooie on Xbox One. Once I finish FH, I think I'll move on to Forza.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Horizon for me - Ive always been a bigger fan of arcade than sim.

I hope we get another PGR someday, and that they don't make it open world.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: PM me your gamer tag, champ.

Anyway, FH2 disappointed me and I loved the first one. Environments while more organic, less restrictive and more believable were noticably less varied. That's one thing. But the worst offender for me were the obligatory road trips on segments which I had already explored that served no purpose to me. I had wanted to tick off all those championships one after another but those forced intermissions just killed all the excitement. Btw most perks were useless.

There. I said it. Solid game but by the time I finished I was getting sick of it. And I'd like even more freedom in the next one.

Am I still a blind lem?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@nyadc said:
@locopatho said:

Biyearly or biannually would mean twice a year, it comes biennially, that's a two year span.

Biyearly can mean either.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

FiveClub. The worst Forza scored 4 points higher than it. lol

Evolution Studios are hacks.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The level of competition that Forza offers is excellent. Seat of your ass pants.

I'll take this with 24 player racing and rivalries any day.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Forza Horizon is cool but I think there's just more to a mainline Forza game. I like me my sims.