Forza Horizon 2: Should it have gone MMO?

Edited 6 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Forza Horizon 2: Should it have gone MMO? (16 votes)

Yes, MMO would bring an entirely different aspect, a virtual living world full of thousands of other drivers,and massively deeper replay value. 31%
No, Forza Horizon 1 was just fine with it's non MMO type system, it was just as fun even with fewer people. So i don't mind it not happening for horizon 2. 50%
Agree to Disagree. 19%

As it says, what do you think about FH2 not going true MMO, i for one am a little disappointed, seeing how TDU on the 360 pulled it off wonderfully well, i just like the fact of driving around a massive open world knowing thousands of other players are also in that world, randomly running into people was the best thing about TDU imo, But as for Horizon, the first was great, even though it lacked MMO and was on a smaller map with fewer people, but now i'm just wondering why they have not made that true MMO jump for next gen.

But as for player count while driving around, i hope it's atleast 50-100 or more in a single session, that would more then make up the lack of MMO, but either way i'm still purchasing it.

What do you think SW.

#1 Posted by lglz1337 (3879 posts) -

i think you need a break TC

#2 Edited by mems_1224 (47443 posts) -

racing games online are always awful.

#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5071 posts) -

mr happens it just so happens i think an mmo racer would be a good way to go. but i would not go with an established franchise on either system to do it. i'd make a 'new' game. it could recycle models from those other games, 'course.

world of speed is going into beta. should be interesting.

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (89393 posts) -

The resources required to run such an open world at the fidelity that Forza achieves with more than 10-20 players at a time would be astronomical.

#5 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

racing games are fun for hours, they are not fun for days

#6 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8518 posts) -

Not really, no.

#7 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3097 posts) -

While it sounds plausible in theory, it would be hard to implement that type of game where Forza is concerned. I had high hopes for TDU2 on the 360, and while I did enjoy it at first, I felt it lacked focus overall and the driving mechanics were not that great. I'm fine with the Horizon 1 formula and it seems the 2nd game is brigning several new things to the mix, so as long as they have those cool co-op missions they had from the first and expand on that, it should turn out awesome. Perhaps an MMO type Forza game could happen in the future, but I would rather it be a spinoff title.....though that could spread the series a bit too thin I don't know.

#9 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9305 posts) -

I wouldn't really want it. Horizon is mighty fine as it is. To me it's the best racing game out there.

#10 Posted by lhughey (4247 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

this

#11 Edited by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Wasn't TDU limited to like 11 players online? And TDU2 was only 8. I'm not understanding how this was better than Horizon's free roam.

#12 Posted by Bruin1986 (1312 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

World of Warcraft is hardly even fun for minutes, but yeah...

#13 Posted by General_Solo76 (262 posts) -

Ummm no!

#14 Posted by DerekLoffin (8794 posts) -

It would be rather pointless to make an MMO, not to mention very difficult. MMOs generally have to have rather poor reaction times because they are processing so much compared to a simple online game. As such, they rely heavily on the client doing a lot of stuff, or faking it to cover up the issue. In a racing game, that would be really noticeable. Might be better to go the Diablo route, of having one common lobby area with separate instances which allows those instances to be processing just a bit of data.

#15 Edited by magicalclick (23023 posts) -

I do not see the appeal at all. Why do I want to drive and trying to magically push through the crowd because they decided to have a nice group chat in the middle of a tunnel? That doesn't make any sense.

#16 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9305 posts) -

I've returned to playing the first Horizon and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

#17 Posted by Alcapello (970 posts) -

Gran Turismo and the other playstation racer have a bigger and better community....it jus won't work on xbox infrastructure.

#18 Posted by Heil68 (45707 posts) -

Naw, I dont think it would of done that well.

#19 Posted by always_explicit (2972 posts) -

@alcapello said:

Gran Turismo and the other playstation racer have a bigger and better community....it jus won't work on xbox infrastructure.

Oh come on now, dont let blatant fanboyism allow you to just pull "facts" out of your ass. Literally nothing you said there can be substantiated with proof or source material. Its just nonsense.

Everything you said is subjective and adds nothing to the topic of conversation. The Forza community is huge and if anything the Xbox infrastructure is better suited to MMO than that of playstation and certainly Nintendo.

#20 Posted by Alcapello (970 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@alcapello said:

Oh come on now, dont let blatant fanboyism allow you to just pull "facts" out of your ass. Literally nothing you said there can be substantiated with proof or source material. Its just nonsense.

Everything you said is subjective and adds nothing to the topic of conversation. The Forza community is huge and if anything the Xbox infrastructure is better suited to MMO than that of playstation and certainly Nintendo.

Look at the sales. Both games and hardware infrastructure.