Forza Horizon 2: 1080p/30 fps locked - confirmed

• 178 results
#1 Posted by shawn30 (4316 posts) -

Resolution and Framerate,

The discourse around resolution and framerate continues to make headlines as developers optimise their games as they see fit. Fulton and the team at Playground are firmly of the belief the next-generation is about light rather than resolution, but he did confirm Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One would display at 1080p and, like the original Forza Horizon, a locked 30 frames-per-second.

Dropped or torn frames have traditionally been a common bugbear with many console games that target approximately 30 frames-per-second. However, with the original Forza Horizon Playground found it was able to avert these issues entirely. The team adopted a zero-tolerance approach to frame drops (regardless of what level of rendering was required on screen the frame rate was never permitted to dip) and as such the game was rigidly locked at 30 frames-per-second. Most importantly, the locked frame rate (as opposed to a fluctuating one) resulted in a smooth and consistent racing experience. Playground has approached Horizon 2 similarly.

“I think what we did on Horizon was demonstrate that, and this is really important, a locked frame rate that’s absolutely solid and never drops is the most important thing for our game,” explains Fulton. “30 [frames-per-second] actually enables us to realise that experience.”

“I think I remember that’s always a hot-button topic, until a game comes out and people go, ‘Oh, this actually really works.’ But 1080p was an absolute must for us; it’s the benchmark for next-gen.”

Music

Audio is another obvious focus and we’ll be diving deeper into that later this month. On the topic of music, however, Fulton explains quite a bit of work has gone into ramping up the aural offering in Horizon 2.

“Music is incredibly important to Horizon,” says Fulton. “I think we did a great job in the original Horizon. Our goal for Horizon 2 is to go bigger and broader.”

“We want a soundtrack you can explore in the same way you can explore our world. To that end we’ve doubled the number of radio stations in the game. We’ve doubled the amount of music that we’re going to be shipping with the game on disc.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/04/forza-horizon-2-resolution-framerate-music-more-detailed-ign-first

#2 Posted by Desmonic (12782 posts) -

Somewhat expected. Wonder how the 360 version will hold up.

#3 Posted by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

All lems should pass on this game then since it's a mulitplat and it's running at only 30fps, since that's not acceptable in a racing game.

#4 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42539 posts) -

Would have preferred 720p and 60fps.

#5 Posted by silversix_ (13663 posts) -

Great. Now when the inevitable DriveClub/Horizon 2 comparison come out lems won't hide behind the 'our game runs in 60fps and that's more important than graphics *even tho their game looks like something released on 360 in 2010*'

#6 Posted by HadOne2Many (1185 posts) -

Pretty interesting article. Can't wait to see some gameplay videos. I hope the Thrustmaster TX shifter is available by the time this game hits.

#7 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3246 posts) -

Pre-order cancelled.

#8 Posted by lostrib (31849 posts) -

uh oh, now it's going to be awkward for them to make fun of Drive Club

#9 Posted by Animal-Mother (26231 posts) -

lol 30 fps? On a racing game?

#10 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6237 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Somewhat expected. Wonder how the 360 version will hold up.

I think it's the same developer who did the Dirt games on Wii and Psp.

Yeah, that is not encouraging at all.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Most importantly, the locked frame rate (as opposed to a fluctuating one) resulted in a smooth and consistent racing experience.

#12 Posted by Blabadon (25271 posts) -

30 FPS admittedly didn't get in the way of the first game, doubt it will here.

#13 Edited by B4X (2709 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Great. Now when the inevitable DriveClub/Horizon 2 comparison come out lems won't hide behind the 'our game runs in 60fps and that's more important than graphics *even tho their game looks like something released on 360 in 2010*'

The open world vs. static track is always open for debate. Expect it.

Corridor racer vs. open world at same resolution and FPS.

This should get interesting.

#14 Edited by UnbiasedPoster (638 posts) -

Wow this really blew up in lem's faces.

BTW: we all knew Forza 5 was stripped down to run at 1080/60. That was obvious.

#15 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Confirm some Split Screen then we can talk.

#16 Edited by sam890 (1057 posts) -

I guess 30fps locked instead of a fluctuating 60fps would suffice for filthy peasants.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

One is a Multiplat vs One that's a Exclusive

Expect it.

#18 Posted by B4X (2709 posts) -

Drive Club and Forza Horizon 2. Are two different games.

One is OPEN world. Other is static track.

The debates will be sweet.

#19 Edited by shawn30 (4316 posts) -

Somebody call 911!!!!!!

#20 Edited by Dire_Weasel (15891 posts) -

Works for me.

Now, let's see how all those posters that turned out to hate on Driveclub's 30fps/1080p rendering think of these developments.

#21 Posted by B4X (2709 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

One is a Multiplat vs One that's a Exclusive

Expect it.

The Gaggies in Driveclub could not be ported to the PS3. There is just not enough screen size to support them. Stairs don't look good in racing games. It's about the smooth track,

You know this.

#22 Posted by Shewgenja (7963 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

I wish more people used common sense like you.

#23 Posted by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

Works for me.

Now, let's see how all those posters that turned out to hate on Driveclub's 30fps/1080p rendering think of these developments.

first up TC @shawn30 :D

#24 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6237 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

LOL common sense. Common sense is over-rated. We should throw out random insults at random people who have different opinions than use. Much more fun.

#25 Edited by NFJSupreme (5033 posts) -

Just like drive club.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (38291 posts) -

From what I've read, they're going for a PGR approach, and I'm totally okay with that.

This is gonna be great.

#27 Posted by silversix_ (13663 posts) -

@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

excuses, shit's still a racing game. You just know Horizon 2 is 1 gen n a half behind DC visuals.

#28 Posted by B4X (2709 posts) -

@b4x said:

@silversix_ said:

excuses, shit's still a racing game. You just know Horizon 2 is 1 gen n a half behind DC visuals.

You saw it....Link me, don't be greedy.

#29 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27233 posts) -

@lostrib said:

They just need to practice shameless cow hypocrisy! :D

#30 Posted by FastRobby (819 posts) -

Aw sweet, the cows saying it was going to be sub 1080p, put in their place again. Microsoft owning it

#31 Posted by f50p90 (3752 posts) -

Arcade racers - 30fps

Sim Racers - 60 fps

#32 Posted by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

Aw sweet, the cows saying it was going to be sub 1080p, put in their place again. Microsoft owning it

No comment on the 30 FPS????

#33 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2626 posts) -

Loved most of the music in the first game, good to hear they are doubling the music. 30 fps is fine, since the first game had that and it didn't bother me, and this is open world. I hope we get a firm release date soon

#34 Edited by Aljosa23 (24331 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Well, it's an open world game. Besides Burnout Paradise I can't think of any open world console games that run at 60fps.

#35 Edited by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Well, it's an open world game. Besides Burnout Paradise I can't think of any open world console games.

NFS Rivals is?

#36 Posted by hoosier7 (3699 posts) -

Well this is ironic after the shit the lems have given Driveclub.

#37 Edited by Aljosa23 (24331 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Well, it's an open world game. Besides Burnout Paradise I can't think of any open world console games.

NFS Rivals is?

Is it? The game got bashed for the PC version being locked to 30... having the console version be 60 doesn't make sense to me. Do you have proof?

edit: oh fuck me I forgot to add "open world console games at 60fps".

#38 Edited by Desmonic (12782 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Need For Speed: Carbon, Fuel, Test Drive Unlimited 1 & 2, Midnight Club to name a few. Plus we have The Crew coming too.

Granted I have no bloody idea of the performance of these games, but yeah there are some :P

#39 Posted by shawn30 (4316 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Agreed. Personally, I have zero issue with The Order: 1886, Drive Club, or Forza Horizon 2 being 30fps. I don't even care about the 1080p thing so long as the game is amazing.

#40 Edited by Heil68 (42716 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Heil68 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

NFS Rivals is?

Is it? The game got bashed for the PC version being locked to 30... having the console version be 60 doesn't make sense to me. Do you have proof?

I have the game for PS4, it's an open world game. I dont know what FPS it is though, but it's pretty fun.

#41 Posted by Aljosa23 (24331 posts) -

@Desmonic: Yeah I'm an idiot. I forgot to add "that run at 60fps" at the end of my previous post. -_-

#42 Posted by hoosier7 (3699 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

NFS Rivals is?

Midnight Club LA was i think, Driver San Francisco? NFS have one or two i think, iirc Underground 2 was open world (albeit limited by the hardware of the time) and also the Test Drive franchise.

#43 Posted by Blabadon (25271 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@Blabadon said:

LOL common sense. Common sense is over-rated. We should throw out random insults at random people who have different opinions than use. Much more fun.

I think that's why in over 5,500 posts from you I can't remember a single good one.

#44 Posted by Desmonic (12782 posts) -
#45 Edited by HadOne2Many (1185 posts) -

Since we're talking Driveclub (which I've been calling a Forza Horizon wannabe since day 1), graphics are going to be secondary to handling. That's the area Driveclub will need to excel at to be a proper comparison to Horizon. And given the lame handling and physics in Motorstorm they have their work cut out for them.

#46 Edited by lglz1337 (3027 posts) -

so lemmings what now ?

#47 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3258 posts) -

30FPs is unacceptable for a racing game. Playground Games, start again.

/s

It's the Flopza 5 engine, so it was always gonna be 1080p. What I want to know if it looks worse than F5 because of open world.

#48 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9432 posts) -

Well that ruins my ammo towards Drive Club

#49 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12848 posts) -

I wonder how it's going to match up visually with Drive Club.

#50 Posted by B4X (2709 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

so lemmings what now ?

Not a lemming, but I would love to answer this.

Horizon 1 was a great game. DC at last years e3 was horse shit?

One is open world. One is static. 1080p 30fps.

Hype might be more deserving for one over the other, considering track records? Pardon the pun.