FORZA 5 and GT6 Ultimate Visuals Comparison. 56k nooo.

• 89 results
#1 Edited by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

So, i went through both games and took pictures of each, same car, on the same or same(ish) track, and came to the conclusion that GT6 car models, Specifically the lighting, lights,paint, etc. once again, look better,(More photorealistic, Forza 5(once again) has better, MUCH, MUCH MUUCCHH better environments though,No competition, period. But still, this is pretty interesting considering the generation gap.

As always, to get the original HD resolution, Click on the picture.

here they are.

First car, KTM xbow

Volks wagen Bug.

Ferrari F40

Subaru BRZ

Continuing with that theme, Subaru Impreza.

PEUGEOT HDI FAP(lol)

Ferrari 208 GTO

Ferrari 458 italia

Mazda RX7 FD Spirit R.

RUF yellow Bird.

yes i replicated the tag, to mach GT6.

Lexus LFA

So, For me atleast,

Forza 5 pros,

Incredible environmental effects. fog, sun rays effect,

The textures.

Clouds, no pun intended.

Trees, Grass, Road textures.

Good damage, and particle effects. best on metallic.

Incredible orange peel paint effect.

High attention to details, dynamic reflections of dashboard/wheel etc.

Highly detailed environments on Every track.

Updated lighting looks great and takes on it's on look.

Metal surface materials look much more natural.

Chrome, looks hands down better on body panels.

much better LOD of model. nice and smooth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons:

Tail lights and head lights, Need alot of work.

The lighting while a massive step forward is still behind GT.( this is more of a what do you prefer situation) but a con for me.

Cars tend to look, plastic at times, not very natural.

outside of forza vista, Wheels stop looking polished, a bit more matte.(LFA photo)

The crowds, No seriously, lets try and ignore them. But they are still there, Just drive faster.

Horrible smoke effects, seriously discouraging. smoke has the ability to teleport from the ground far after you pass it. instead of from the car, and disperses quickly.

very few cons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GT6 Pros.

Highly photo realistic lighting engine.

Head lights and tail lights look like actual lights, glass, the chrome a reflections etc.

The bulbs reflect inside the chrome of the lights, so does the beam from the lights.

Better paint tones when out on the track.

crowds(while bad) react to what you do, if you crash they cover their little 2/3d faces and have full body movement.

The lighting engine brings out the cars more dynamically.

Surfaces on the models react more naturally to light.(plastic etc)

Great volumetric smoke effects. reflect shadows and lights. and lots of smoke that lingers for a long time.(great for drifting, burnouts etc)

Dynamic Headlights.

Rain effects (while honestly lacking imo) look ok,better then GT5 that's for sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cons.

Horrible trees, 2D, only certain tracks have 3d trees( good wood, some city tracks)(hardware)

horrible grass, (hardware limitations)

horrible clouds on standard tracks( green valley, trial moutain etc.

Environments lacking (Race atmosphere) Which forza 5 nails.

Crowds, while 3d, look freakishly horrible, especially on eiger, they look better in london though. but not by much

Environments as a whole are severely lacking. (blame this on hardware)

horrible damage, seriously...just bad, bad damage, if you can even call it damage. GT5 while bad, was better.

crash at 200, and slight dents and scuffs that make the car look burnt...what?

standards cars, that were not upgraded to premium, just horrible as hell, the RUF yellow bird was 1 of the 200 to be updated to premium.

aka the supra RZ.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's really all for me, what do you think SW?

#2 Edited by Dire_Weasel (16000 posts) -

Very nice post, you put a serious amount of work into that.

Also, wow, the Gran Turismo 6 headlights and taillights are really a step above, aren't they?

#3 Posted by happyduds77 (1472 posts) -

Aren't those bullshots?

#4 Posted by stereointegrity (10731 posts) -

well.....damage control incoming

#5 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5016 posts) -

nice work op. forza getting a 9 was a slap in the face to the integrity of this site, but then again they gave halo odst a 9 that is more a expansion than a game. gt comes very close and in some shots surpasses the 'next gen' game. HOWEVER, this comparison is quite meaningless because racing games suck ass

#6 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14402 posts) -

It's pretty sad a next gen racing game can't outright best a seventh generation console title, especially where it counts, it's cars.

Lack of weather is a major contributor to forza's lighting engine falling behind the competition I think. Also, those cardboard cutout onlookers, what was Turn 10 thinking? Were the performance issues really that big of a deal they had to make such a cut back?

Anyway, great thread. Well thought out and detailed we don't get enough of these.

#7 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5016 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's pretty sad a next gen racing game can't outright best a seventh generation console title, especially where it counts, it's cars.

Lack of weather is a major contributor to forza's lighting engine falling behind the competition I think. Also, those cardboard cutout onlookers, what was Turn 10 thinking? Were the performance issues really that big of a deal they had to make such a cut back?

dat next gen crowd

#8 Edited by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

While i do love and adore both, and while this might upset "some" i have to say the generation gap, does not feel that big, It's not as dramatic as say, GT4 to GT5p, or forza 1 to Forza 3, those were massive leaps, this one however, is quite small, But, it gets wider when both are in motion. But as a whole, it's not what people were making it out to be, and in alot of cases, GT6 happens to look better, (but only car models imo)

#9 Posted by freedomfreak (40879 posts) -

You can always please me with a 458 Italia. Too sexy for its own good.

You ever played PGR4, TC, or is that too arcade-y for your tastes? :p
I find it to be excellent in the visuals department.

#10 Edited by Indicud (739 posts) -

Forza 5 is 60 fps though so it'd be more fluid in motion.

But, tbh I couldn't tell which picture belonged to which game when if didn't have the Forza 5 heading in the top right.

#11 Edited by lglz1337 (3853 posts) -

lmao cardboxgame with google maps gtfo

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (30411 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

dat next gen crowd

Me too I play racing games to look at the crowd

#13 Posted by Indicud (739 posts) -

@MonsieurX: good thing it's not the cars.

#14 Posted by DA1M0Z (33 posts) -

Both looks nice.

Although one is from less powerful system and one is being ran on a more powerful hardware.

#15 Posted by GreySeal9 (24401 posts) -

The PS3 Gran Turismo games are kind of ugly during regular gameplay.

#16 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

You can always please me with a 458 Italia. Too sexy for its own good.

You ever played PGR4, TC, or is that too arcade-y for your tastes? :p

I find it to be excellent in the visuals department.

yes i have PGR1- 4, i love them.

#17 Edited by AdobeArtist (22937 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

Aren't those bullshots?

Photomode shots. They're not real-time gameplay, but are a viewing mode that uses engine assets in a more optimizable setting. So not bullshots in that regard.

#18 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5016 posts) -

@Indicud said:

ooooo burn

@MonsieurX said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

dat next gen crowd

thats a stupid arguments, and if the devs felt the same way they wouldnt have wasted their time putting the crowd in the game.

#19 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

Why does the RUF have the same number plate in both games? I mean... WTF?

#20 Edited by MonsieurX (30411 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Indicud said:

ooooo burn

@MonsieurX said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

dat next gen crowd

thats a stupid arguments, and if the devs felt the same way they wouldnt have wasted their time putting the crowd in the game.

I don't get how this is a stupid argument.

If you're the one stopping in a racing game to look at the crow, you might be the stupid one. And downplaying a game for that,lolz

#21 Posted by nini200 (9817 posts) -

Dat FAP

#22 Posted by murray69murray (126 posts) -

Nice comparison, I'd vote for GT6 in the technical department and Forza 5 in aesthetics.

#23 Edited by Roger_The_Alien (28 posts) -

I think Forza 5 looks better. But not as much that one looks like it's on next gen while the other one isn't

#24 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13595 posts) -

To hell with Graphics. Tell me about the Physics !

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13595 posts) -

#26 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

in terms of a controler, Forza, in terms of a wheel GT6.

#28 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

lol GT6 looks better. The premium GT6 cars look better and the lighting in GT6 looks more realistic. Man, is the Xbone really this weak?

@Lulu_Lulu said:

GT6 has the better physics.

#29 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13595 posts) -

@ TorqueHappens08

The Convex shape of the dual shock controller makes it a colossal pain to play precision games like Driving Simulators and First Person Shooters.

@ I_can_haz

True, but does feel right ? my biggest problem with GT4 was how all the physics seemed to make the game less realistic. The cars never slide right or lose control properly.

#30 Edited by pelvist (4853 posts) -

Good comparison GT6 wins, now please do a comparison between Project C.A.R.S and Assetto Corsa.

#31 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

Car models and lighting - GT6 winner

Everything else - Forza 5 winner

Looking forward to when the GT6 car models will get used during proper real time races on the PS4 GT.

#32 Edited by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:

Why does the RUF have the same number plate in both games? I mean... WTF?

long answer: and the significant's, (if you care)

It's a iconic plate used on the real RUF yellow bird during the legendary nurburgring video from back in the day, the guy drove the wheels off that car. the forza one is just a decal, the GT6 one is the actual copy of the entire car from the film. short answer: i wanted them too match.

@pelvist said:

Good comparison GT6 wins, now please do a comparison between Project C.A.R.S and Assetto Corsa.

That would actually be a great comparison, i just may do that. i also plan to do a NFSx? vs Drive club..when ever it happens to drop.

@Desmonic said:

Okay.

#33 Edited by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

Have not played nor have interest into GT6 but Forza 5 looks abysmal.

#34 Edited by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Have not played nor have interest into GT6 but Forza 5 looks abysmal.

That's GT5, silver, you can tell by the HUD, shadows, lighting and the old Upscaled PS2 version of high speed ring(besides the new bridge)...but the fact that you thought it was forza 5, I have no comment on that.

Unless it was just a mistake.

#35 Posted by Cyberdot (3538 posts) -

There are some serious inaccuracies in Forza's car models.

#36 Edited by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

There are some serious inaccuracies in Forza's car models.

care to explain?

#37 Posted by MrXboxOne (743 posts) -

@Forza is awesome

#38 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@mrxboxone said:

@Forza is awesome

i agree.

#39 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7938 posts) -

GT always been the better game gameplay and graphics. Can't wait for the hopefully next installment on PS4.

#40 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23833 posts) -

please note that it has to be a visual comparison because the gran turismo series evolved into a dated piece of shit franchise that is at least a decade behind every other race game that exists.

#41 Posted by bobbetybob (19286 posts) -
@happyduds77 said:

Aren't those bullshots?

Pretty much, the only impressive thing about GT6 is its photo mode, because the in game graphics look like shart burgers.

#42 Posted by foxhound_fox (88656 posts) -

Only GT fans care about what the cars look like in a still photo with a ton of post-processing effects.

#43 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2501 posts) -

Fake GT6 pictures.

gran turismo 6 is not even 1080p but this image is more than 1080p.

I post some real gameplay pictures:

#44 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (926 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Fake GT6 pictures.

i avoided taking off screens from both, because it would mess up the pictures, And i do not have a capture card of any sort.

#45 Edited by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

Haven't played GT6, but I can guarantee those are bullshots. Even the Forza 5 pictures are done in photo mode or bullshots. Show real in-game pictures or don't bother at all. Don't throw excuses like "I don't have a capture card" just Google in-game pictures of the games because anything is better than fake bullshots which do jack shit.

#46 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (761 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Fake GT6 pictures.

Both of them are replay and photomode shots. You can always post gameplay screenshots from both and GT6 would still look better, car model wise.

#47 Posted by Heil68 (45115 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer said:

GT always been the better game gameplay and graphics. Can't wait for the hopefully next installment on PS4.

Indeed.

#48 Posted by AdobeArtist (22937 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer said:

And how long did it take for the GT series to incorporate damage physics? If anything it's been behind Forza ever since that series made its debut, and had been playing catch up.

#49 Posted by bforrester420 (1654 posts) -

We're either seeing the Law of Diminishing returns strike console racing sims, or Polyphony is really good at making their cars look good. In some cases Forza looks better, in some cases GT6 looks better. Hell, in some cases Forza looks better (F40 exhaust) at the same time GT6 looks better (F40 tail lights)!

#50 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5222 posts) -

Forza engineers just can't get the game to look photorealistic like GT engineers, with respect to the vehicles.

Regardless of power allotted to them