Former Criterion boss: Both EA and Nintendo are to blame...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25841 posts) -

...for the lack of support for the Wii U version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

Link

Well, s***! Granted, the tweets here mostly on what went wrong with Nintendo's side of things (if it really IS their job to help promote third party products than I'm continually headdesking as hard as I possibly can because that IS indeed stupid on NIntendo's part), but I'm hardly seeing anything on how EA (who he also blames for this mess) is the problem (and this comes from someone who WILL blame all parties if the situation allows it). Maybe I'm missing something.

#2 Edited by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2076 posts) -

So Nintendo is to blame because EA didn't market their game? I don't get it.

That's the job of the publisher, not of the console makers. If Nintendo marketed every game that goes to their console they'd have no money left for making games.

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25841 posts) -

That's the job of the publisher, not of the console makers. If Nintendo marketed every game that goes to their console they'd have no money left for making games.

Aren't Sony and MS known for advertising third party products? Last gen, many multiplats were advertised as exclusives (a kind of marketing I freaking hate to be honest).

#4 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24316 posts) -

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

Aren't Sony and MS known for advertising third party products? Last gen, many multiplats were advertised as exclusives (a kind of marketing I freaking hate to be honest).

Never heard about Sony though it almost seems like they're money hatting Assassin's Creed for a while now.

But Microsoft most definitively. A Lot of my friends get all surprised or confused looks when they find out one of their favorite 360 games were on PC or PS3.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (6971 posts) -

My friends, I'm currently playing Dead Space 1 (released 2008) and it has a bug that changed the difficulty if you choose "continue game" than rather "load game". EA still hasn't fixed it but I feel if I hold out, it will happen.

#6 Edited by TheEroica (13078 posts) -

dudes pissed... and seemingly, rightfully so. Nintendo sees hell bent on self destruction, and EA... sigh. I'd never boycott a game company, I think its kinda lame, but EA is just... well... they like to punch their own face in a lot.

#7 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6232 posts) -

My friends, I'm currently playing Dead Space 1 (released 2008) and it has a bug that changed the difficulty if you choose "continue game" than rather "load game". EA still hasn't fixed it but I feel if I hold out, it will happen.

We don't care about your problems.

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25841 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:
@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

Never heard about Sony though it almost seems like they're money hatting Assassin's Creed for a while now.

But Microsoft most definitively. A Lot of my friends get all surprised or confused looks when they find out one of their favorite 360 games were on PC or PS3.

Not a surprise that Sony is money hatting Assassin's Creed, considering the very first game was going to be PS3 exclusive.

#9 Edited by widdowson91 (1235 posts) -

If EA was the publisher it was their responsibility to market the game and not Nintendo's.

#10 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24316 posts) -

@widdowson91 said:

If EA was the publisher it was their responsibility to market the game and not Nintendo's.

I'm going to argue that the game WAS marketed. HOWEVER the marketing was not intended for Nintendo's Audience. It was intended for the PS3/360 audience.

Nintendo's Commercial was just targeted to the wrong audience.

It was sent to die before it was even released. Didn't help that the game was released a nearly 6 months after the PC, IOS, Kindle, Android, PS3, 360, and Vita versions came out.

So when Most Wanted U came out everyone who wanted to play the game already did. Late Ports don't work in the console space.

#11 Posted by widdowson91 (1235 posts) -

@widdowson91 said:

I'm going to argue that the game WAS marketed. HOWEVER the marketing was not intended for Nintendo's Audience. It was intended for the PS3/360 audience.

Nintendo's Commercial was just targeted to the wrong audience.

It was sent to die before it was even released. Didn't help that the game was released a nearly 6 months after the PC, IOS, Kindle, Android, PS3, 360, and Vita versions came out.

So when Most Wanted U came out everyone who wanted to play the game already did. Late Ports don't work in the console space.

Well, whether it was marketed or not, that wasn't the only cause. But Most Wanted U wasn't the only game to suffer from hitting the Wii U several months after it hit the other formats. Mass Effect 3 also suffered a similar fate, as it was released 8 month after the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC versions. And it was even worse with Mass Effect 3, as EA expected Wii U owners to pay full price for it despite releasing the entire trilogy in a collection for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC at roughly the same time, for the same price as the stand-alone third game on Wii U. I mean, who the hell wants to play just Mass Effect 3? And who the hell would buy the third as a stand-alone game on Wii U when you could get the trilogy for other formats? A similar fate is inevitably going to befall the Wii U version of Watch Dogs too - that is, if it actually ever comes out for the Wii U.

#12 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

who gives a shit about wii u version. Bet ever other outsold it by long ass gap

#13 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16482 posts) -

What system? I don't have that issue on my PS3 version.

#14 Posted by uninspiredcup (6971 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

What system? I don't have that issue on my PS3 version.

Apparently this issue also exists on console systems. Either way regardless, the ports of both Dead Space 1/2 on the pc are horrendous. EA in general are horrendous, I doubt anyone will doubt what Criterion is saying.

#15 Posted by _Matt_ (8794 posts) -

dudes pissed... and seemingly, rightfully so. Nintendo sees hell bent on self destruction, and EA... sigh. I'd never boycott a game company, I think its kinda lame, but EA is just... well... they like to punch their own face in a lot.

And seemingly the face of their consumers too...

#16 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6232 posts) -

Criterion were once gods. A developer you could say actually cared about gamers and delivering quality games that were amazing.

Now, EA has ruined a once great developer. Again. Now gamers need to look to Sony for quality and value.

#17 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -

Nintendo hate life, console gaming and themselves. Just quit.

#18 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

lets all blame nintendo for the third parties in ability to create wiiu games from the ground up , instead of shoving old games that were out on other platforms months before the wiiu version and as some one stated before me3 was the worst example as it was available as a trillogy on ps3 and 360 for the same price as wiiu , , the only developer who sort of tried to actually support wiiu is sega and ubisoft , though ubisoft is also in on the whole delaye/port thing with rayman what was worst is they said it was gonna be a wiiu exclusive but then made it multiplat by the time it actually came out , so ya , its not nintendos responsibility to make third party games, that simple , if they were im pretty much sure there would have been alot better effort put in to all the titles,

#19 Edited by superbuuman (2533 posts) -

^ Nintendo shares the blame for not having better relations with 3rd parties...hence why they are being ignored. Heck they don't even advertise Wii U *exclusive* games...you get the usual Nintendo *ONLY* Mario, etc.

Late ports at full price were never gonna work to begin with..its kinda dumb to expect people to pay full price for games that could be had at sometime half the price on other systems. EA sabotage Wii U big time..announced ME3 for Wii U, then a week later announce ME trilogy for PS3 & 360 ..at less than price of Wii U ME3. Its the same with Squenix Deus Ex: director's cut - cost less on all other platforms, Wii U -> full price.

I ain't paying $80AUD for Most Wanted U, when you can get it cheaper on other systems. :P

#20 Posted by Life-is-a-Game (546 posts) -
#21 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25841 posts) -

who gives a shit about wii u version. Bet ever other outsold it by long ass gap

That's not the point.

#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25841 posts) -

^ Nintendo shares the blame for not having better relations with 3rd parties...hence why they are being ignored. Heck they don't even advertise Wii U *exclusive* games...you get the usual Nintendo *ONLY* Mario, etc.

Late ports at full price were never gonna work to begin with..its kinda dumb to expect people to pay full price for games that could be had at sometime half the price on other systems. EA sabotage Wii U big time..announced ME3 for Wii U, then a week later announce ME trilogy for PS3 & 360 ..at less than price of Wii U ME3. Its the same with Squenix Deus Ex: director's cut - cost less on all other platforms, Wii U -> full price.

I ain't paying $80AUD for Most Wanted U, when you can get it cheaper on other systems. :P

But of course, third parties are NEVER wrong on the situation and don't deserve to share ANY blame. *eye roll*

#23 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6622 posts) -

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

Nintendo makes a whole lot more games than Sony and Microsoft do.

#24 Edited by dr_jashugan (2539 posts) -
#25 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69134 posts) -

It's EA's responsibilty to advertise the freaking game...

#26 Edited by lamprey263 (22460 posts) -

the game got ported late, and nobody was going to buy a Wii U to play something already available on X360/PS3 and cheap and probably a PS+ title by the time it released on the Wii U

not to mention the game wasn't that good, such a lazy cookie cutter concept, pick a car, there's like a few races to win then you just keep switching cars doing the same races over and over

#27 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6876 posts) -

I sincerely question the competency of publishers with regards to their Wii U offerings. It seems like they throw common sense under the bus. VERY FEW people will buy a version of a game with less features and support, or with a higher price tag than what other systems offer. Are people going to buy Mass Effect 3 on Wii U without DLC support, when they can get the entire trilogy, fully supported, for the same price elsewhere? Are people going to buy a heavily stripped version of Sniper Elite V2? No and No. Most people who own a Wii U have another platform and they're not stupid. They're going to go where they can get better value. It's a shame publishers can't fit these very simple puzzle pieces together.

#28 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25841 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@T3H_1337_N1NJ4 said:

Nintendo makes a whole lot more games than Sony and Microsoft do.

That's a poor excuse, I'll be honest.