For those who were here at the start of last generation...

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lawlessx (46456 posts) -

Doesn't system wars look very familiar?

1.Tons of doom threads about the 360 stating it would be the next dreamcast.

2.stating that the xbox360 wouldn't last 6 months once the ps3 released

3. Hyping a FPS at launch like it's the second coming of jesus?

it's 2006 all over again and that year didn't end well for a certain fanboy group.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

I guess the difference is the PS4 is much better positioned going into the next generation than the PS3 was going into its generation

#3 Edited by lawlessx (46456 posts) -

I guess the difference is the PS4 is much better positioned going into the next generation than the PS3 was going into its generation

that's true.

being $100 cheaper than the xbox one is a big win for sony.

#4 Posted by Giancar (19046 posts) -

And both coming the same year. And tons of support from devs. And good PR. A lot has chanced for Sony. And for MS in a bad way.

Those doom and gloom Xbone threads are laughable however.

#5 Edited by RossRichard (2330 posts) -

I remember when all the cows were calling the 360 the XBox 1.5, because the first games didn't look that much better than what was on PS2/XBox. History is repeating itself.

What you need to remember TC, is that PS4 is doing similar things that the 360 was doing before launch. And the XBone is doing similarly to how PS3 was doing at launch. I think you are right, a certain fanboy group got it wrong. I don't think it's the one you are thinking of, however.

#6 Posted by silversix_ (13922 posts) -

It was much more active than its currently is but this is mainly because of the GS change bullshit.

#7 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

History repeats itself

#8 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7102 posts) -

Some things change, others are mostly the same.

#9 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25550 posts) -

I wasn't in this particular forum back then but the hype today seems much less overblown than pre-PS3 launch. The PS4 is in a much different and better situation.

#10 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5753 posts) -

I dont remember the PS3 getting much hype... I know it got lots of hype from sony, but people here, no I dont think so. If anything the PS3 was getting bad news left and right. On top of all that the system launched with a $600 price tag.

#11 Edited by Ballroompirate (22284 posts) -

Now that I think about, last gen was pretty interesting here in sw compared to this upcoming gen. People gave crap to the PS3 cause of it's stupid price tag, then there was the massive flack the 360 got cause of the RROD, then you had the Wii breaking sales records cause it was being bought for Wii fit while all 3 consoles had a piss poor first year line up.

#12 Posted by _Matt_ (8842 posts) -

War.

War never changes.

#13 Edited by lawlessx (46456 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

I remember when all the cows were calling the 360 the XBox 1.5, because the first games didn't look that much better than what was on PS2/XBox. History is repeating itself.

What you need to remember TC, is that PS4 is doing similar things that the 360 was doing before launch. And the XBone is doing similarly to how PS3 was doing at launch. I think you are right, a certain fanboy group got it wrong. I don't think it's the one you are thinking of, however.

certainly you don't think 2006 was a victory for the cows back then? that year was filled with crying cows and sheep committing account suicide when TP flopped.

It was also when the "just wait" threads started.

#14 Posted by RossRichard (2330 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@RossRichard said:

certainly you don't think 2006 was a victory for the cows back then? that year was filled with crying cows and sheep committing account suicide when TP flopped.

It was when the "just wait" threads started

No, I am trying to say lems might be the one that gets burned this time. Like cows were burned last gen.

#15 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17028 posts) -

No, not really. Only the Wii seemed gimped, specs wise, but at least its controller was exciting. The one thing that's similar is that no games coming out at launch look amazing.

#16 Posted by Ballroompirate (22284 posts) -

History repeats itself

No not really

Look at the Wii-U compared to the Wii, one was breaking sales numbers one isn't. As for the PS4 it's not gonna repeat itself with a bad price tag, but who knows it might pick up the over heating thing the 360 had while the X1 will be the over priced console of this gen.

#17 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I can't wait until it's raining dramas.

#18 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

War.

War never changes.

Ah, I like it I see what you did there. Quote from Donkey Kong. Love it. Or was that Fallout?

#19 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@charizard1605 said:

that's true.

awwww yeahhhh

"“The PS4 is the most powerful gaming system ever created, which enables us, along with our partners to add amazing entertainment options to the platform that we know PlayStation fans are going to love.”

#20 Posted by _Matt_ (8842 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

War.

War never changes.

Ah, I like it I see what you did there. Quote from Donkey Kong. Love it. Or was that Fallout?

Well I was thinking of Fallout yeah.

Also Metal Gear Solid if I'm not mistaken.

#21 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

The more things change, the more they stay the same....

#22 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@charizard1605 said:

that's true.

Yeah, but people still bought the PS3 when it was more expensive than the 360. And six years later the PS3 is very close but still behind the 360 :) Both the box One and PS4 will do just fine. Sony as a corporation long-term, that's a more scary question.

#23 Posted by StormyJoe (4764 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

it's 2006 all over again and that year didn't end well for a certain fanboy group.

Yes. And, 2006 was 2001 all over again. Some other things I've noticed.

In 2001, Cows bashed the Xbox for not having XBL on dial up. They were all like "most people aren't going to have high speed internet for years. Good luck playing multiplayer games by yourselves! LOLZ!!!" Same argument was being made at E3 about "always online" and "the cloud".

In 2001, Cows were all about "the games are what matter, not the graphics". Then in 2006, when the PS3's multiplats looked worse than the 360s, they were all about "it's the devs fault! " Actually some validity to that, but it's the same argument with the PS4 and XB1.

In 2006, Lemmings were all about "Sony is forcing you to buy a Blu-ray player, Wi-Fi adapter, etc. that you don't need! Have fun with that $600 console!". Now, the shoe is on the other foot with the XB1 and Kinect, and the arguments are identical.

#24 Posted by Tessellation (8796 posts) -

the upset camp always gets owned at the end.

#25 Posted by Frozzik (3421 posts) -

@lawlessx: don't forget the GDDR5 crap, it's the cell all over again

#26 Edited by Boddicker (2438 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

Very true, but the PS4 has the price advantage and the power advantage too.

In all honesty I think the X1 will do fine.

#27 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13132 posts) -

@Frozzik said:

wouldn't that be the cloud?

GDDR5 seems like it's actually useful. combine that with ESRAM bottleneck and the xbone looks more like the ps3 architecure wise than the quad does.

Also the higher pricetag, it's like Sony and MS are trading places from 2006.

#28 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@Frozzik said:

PS4 already has the superior multiplats, so no.

#29 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

Yes. And the Xbox One is the new PS3

#30 Edited by Darthmatt (8966 posts) -

I remember a lot of hype for the PS3, then the price tag, then the giant enemy crab...etc It was pretty funny at the time. I'll also add, I didn't buy a PS3 until 2008. I thought Sony's arrogance and the whole PS3 launch situation made me not give a crap. But after E3 2008 (when Jack Trenton started taking the floor) with the price drop I got on board. I've had a good experience with the system mostly on the first party games. The PS3 came back from way behind, and any trouble xb1 has is nothing compared to that. I think Xboxone will do fine after in the long run, but it needs a serious price drop to complete with the PS4.

#31 Edited by StormyJoe (4764 posts) -

I also remember the E3 2006 game hype.... Perfect Dark Zero, Lair, Haze, ShadowRun, Too Human, etc.

My personal favorite was the ChromeHounds rumor. Cows said there were "strong rumors" and "confirmed sources" that the reason ChromeHounds occasionally crashed was because it maxed out the 360's hardware.

Loved that one...

#32 Edited by Led_poison (10140 posts) -

Considering they are both launching around the same time, with ps4 having better hardware and being cheaper. The emphasis will be on the better exclusives now more than ever. If anything this all makes PC gaming look a lot more feasible down the line.

#33 Posted by MonsieurX (29243 posts) -

@Frozzik said:

Just 2

Calm down

#34 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13132 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Frozzik said:

Just 2

Calm down

The statement is still correct.

#35 Posted by SolidTy (42134 posts) -

I was here before last gen even started. I still remember Halo vs. Metroid Prime vs. Metal Gear Solid 2 Graphic wars threads.

#36 Edited by Snugenz (11740 posts) -

The cows are pretty much the exact same, but the companies have changed as have their attitudes.

#37 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I was here before last gen even started. I still remember Halo vs. Metroid Prime vs. Metal Gear Solid 2 Graphic wars threads.

lol! cows actually used a multiplat that looked better on XBox as their graphics king?

#38 Edited by SolidTy (42134 posts) -

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@SolidTy said:

lol! cows actually used a multiplat that looked better on XBox as their graphics king?

Yes, partially because MGS2 Xbox port wasn't the best of ports, not to mention Substance worldwide was actually a PS2 game. In the west, it was a timed exclusive Xbox release, but it's true, it was used in many a thread. Eventually when MGS 3 released, that was used instead. Other games argued were Resident Evil Remake, RE4 GC, Rogue Squadron, Brute Force, Final Fantasy X, Halo 2, Jak II, Kindom Hearts, Splinter Cell 1-3, Mario Sunshine, God of War, Gran Turismo 3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and a host of others. PC at the time we saw a lot of graphic threads about Half Life 2 and especially DOOM 3 threads, it was used the way Crysis 1 was used this previous generation.

Then there was the online arguments, EA at one time wouldn't work with Xbox Live which complicated the XBL argument. Of course, controllers...it's everything you would expect. Nintendo Gamecube of course, not measuring up in that regard. Occasional Dreamcast > all threads, etc.

Formats argued about was GD-Rom DC, DVD PS2, DVD Xbox, GC mini-DVD disc...

#39 Posted by madsnakehhh (14077 posts) -

I was an anti Sony guy back then, i couldn't stand Sony's arrogance before the PS3 launch and it was quite funny to see the little Wii beating the Bejeezus out of the PS3.

But in the end Sony won me back with the PS3, and now i'm kind of an anti MS guy...i don't know, i don't like how utterly clueless they can be with their products, specially with the Xbox brand, and in a way, it's kind of the same, we have the weak console, the expensive one, the one who seems to be focusing on gamers.

Personally, i think the 3 consoles will be fine by the end of the year, Nintendo has some good software that could move some units but still they will have an up hill battle, the PS4 seems to be doing exactly the opposite that they did with the PS3...and MS, well...MS has nothing that interesting IMO, but they have brand power, so who knows.

#40 Posted by lamprey263 (22836 posts) -

yes, cows are like the Tea Party of the video game world like always

#41 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@SolidTy said:

Yes, partially because MGS2 Xbox port wasn't the best of ports, not to mention Substance worldwide was actually a PS2 game. In the west, it was a timed exclusive Xbox release, but it's true, it was used in many a thread. Eventually when MGS 3 released, that was used instead. Other games argued were Resident Evil Remake, RE4 GC, Rogue Squadron, Brute Force, Final Fantasy X, Halo 2, Jak II, Kindom Hearts, Splinter Cell 1-3, Mario Sunshine, God of War, Gran Turismo 3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and a host of others. PC at the time we saw a lot of graphic threads about Half Life 2 and especially DOOM 3 threads, it was used the way Crysis 1 was used this previous generation.

Then there was the online arguments, EA at one time wouldn't work with Xbox Live which complicated the XBL argument. Of course, controllers...it's everything you would expect. Nintendo Gamecube of course, not measuring up in that regard. Occasional Dreamcast > all threads, etc.

Formats argued about was GD-Rom DC, DVD PS2, DVD Xbox, GC mini-DVD disc...

I wish there was a way to go back and view the forums as it sounds hilarious but I only found old error message pictures

#42 Posted by remiks00 (1650 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

War.

War never changes.

XD

#43 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

Sony is gaining momentum with each passing year. Microsoft is in full damage control this time around.

COD in 720p is just the beginning of the butthurt. Much more to come!

#44 Posted by Spartan070 (16327 posts) -

Indeed

#45 Edited by JTH_22 (1433 posts) -

The similarities are eerie lol. I don't see the same outcome this time around though, Sony is sitting too pretty right now, But who knows?

#46 Posted by Zophar87 (4345 posts) -

Yeah, that's very true. Also the PS3 didn't try to completely ruin their console by imposing all kinds of lame ass restrictions on the player.

#47 Posted by Couth_ (9977 posts) -

I wasn't in this particular forum back then but the hype today seems much less overblown than pre-PS3 launch. The PS4 is in a much different and better situation.

This. I think the negative hype on the xbone is overblown. If you just went by forums you'd think the xbox one was going to tank but I know a lot of people in real life picking it up day one. it will definitely hold it's own in sales and might even lead in the U.S.. But the Ps4 is in an infinitely better position than the PS3 was as far as price, specs and developer support.. Until the first party gets rolling it has the benefit of some major multiplats right from day one unlike the ps3

#48 Posted by lawlessx (46456 posts) -

i just had to bump this...it's 2006 all over again in system wars

#49 Posted by ratchet_usa (356 posts) -

My future predictions.

1. xbox one will be dead in japan and on life support in Europe.

2. nintendo will not have a single new AAA franchise this gen. and the only games sheep will hype all gen will start with M,Z and S.

3. Sony will implement more drastic DRM features on the PS4 (no MP3 playback?), but still have the best and most awesome exclusive AAA NEW franchises all gen. long.

#50 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

Well, I stand corrected.

So, will Wii U pull a surprise win again?