For those waiting for an Xbox One 'slim'

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Don't waste your time, it's probably not going to come and you should just get the normal console. Microsoft currently has no plans to create one out of what appears to be fear of another RRoD episode, they are more concerned with functionality and proper engineering rather than aesthetics.

It doesn't sound like it's any form of a priority for them.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The console is not small, per se, but it isn't like a 1950's super computer like many seem to think. Don't get me wrong, it was surprising to see how much larger it grew (at E3 2013) when compared with being used to a smaller 360 for years.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NyaDC

@Solaryellow said:

The console is not small, per se, but it isn't like a 1950's super computer like many seem to think. Don't get me wrong, it was surprising to see how much larger it grew (at E3 2013) when compared with being used to a smaller 360 for years.

What people need to understand is the actual footprint of the console is not that much more than the PlayStation 4, it's about an inch taller but it will fit in basically all the same places the PS4 will.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Some random youtuber is telling a story about how he asked an Xbox PR person(s) about a slim model? That's not even worth discussing.

We can't interview or even see the same supposed PR person(s) he supposedly talked to in Pax Prime 2015, not to mention there is no reason M$ would instruct their PR people about such plans. Even if they did know, there is no way in hell they would tell some random dude when they aren't ready to discuss the plans.

If a slim Xbone was planned, M$ certainly wouldn't be telling people at the holiday 2015 window as people would be inclined to wait (same strategy for any company). That would hurt their sales.

There is nothing to discuss. This isn't proof of anything, it's just some dude with a story. He must not realize they aren't going to tell him anything...or he just wants clicks.

If a new slim or otherwise Xbone is coming, we won't know until they are ready or if it's leaked. They aren't going to tell us in advance. Of course, it's certainly possible they were being 100% upfront at this time, but times change. It's also possible they really aren't going to release a Slim model but my point is we won't know the corporations future plans either way...which makes this thread pointless.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

Wut ?

Slim is happening. This thread is basically assumptions. And RROD did not stop Xbox 360 slim from happening in fact... Xbox 360 slim stopped RROD from happening :)

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NyaDC

@SolidTy said:

Some random youtuber is telling a story about how he asked an Xbox PR person about a slim model? That's not even worth discussing.

We can't interview the same PR person not to mention there is no reason M$ would instruct their PR people about such plans.

If a slim Xbone was planned, M$ certainly wouldn't be telling people at the holiday window as people would be inclined to wait (same strategy for any company). That would hurt their sales.

Or there could be no plans for one, I wouldn't bet on it happening.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Pretty please buy and xbox!!!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Microsoft says Xbox One will never sell without Kinect

Of course they're going to make a slim. The hardware in the Xbox One will not stay the same. They'll make smaller, cheaper, more energy efficient chips. They'll need to do this the avoid getting manhandled when the PS4 slim comes out.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@nyadc: I never really care for an Xbox One slim at all. The only reason why Xbox 360 slim existed in the first place was to correct the RROD from the original Xbox 360 model but I will admit that I actually like the 360 slim models then the original back then. I was cool with fat PS3 models as well since it was the only model to have BC to play PS2 games at the time. I'm cool with the Xbox One model as it is and PS4 is as slim as it can get anyway.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero_epyon

@nyadc said:
@SolidTy said:

Some random youtuber is telling a story about how he asked an Xbox PR person about a slim model? That's not even worth discussing.

We can't interview the same PR person not to mention there is no reason M$ would instruct their PR people about such plans.

If a slim Xbone was planned, M$ certainly wouldn't be telling people at the holiday window as people would be inclined to wait (same strategy for any company). That would hurt their sales.

Nah, it's likely they just want people holding out to go buy it now. PR people are paid to say things, whether they're true or not.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I have a bigger issue with the Xbone not having any USB ports on the front of the console than I do with it being too big.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NyaDC

@Zero_epyon said:

Of course they're going to make a slim. The hardware in the Xbox One will not stay the same. They'll make smaller, cheaper, more energy efficient chips. They'll need to do this the avoid getting manhandled when the PS4 slim comes out.

They can make smaller and more efficient chips, however I doubt the console itself is going to change, I've seen quite a few people holding their breath and it appears to be futile, especially with how short this generation is likely to end up being.

Also a PlayStation 4 slim is something I want to confidently say will never happen, they've already got that thing jam packed to the brim, even with slightly smaller chips I don't see it happening, their thermal solution is already on the brink of unreliability.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

This is exactly my point above. They were adamant they would not sell Xbones without Kinect and some poor fans here were believing the PR...but the people weren't biting and they swiftly changed course.

This isn't even as good as that PR, because here we don't even have PR talking to us, but some guys story about PR talking to him. This isn't even really citable evidence of anything.

Hindsight is 20/20. Companies change strategies to tailor to the market. Of course, they may mean what they told this youtuber (if his story is legit and they said no and meant it to a slim model, after all there is no Xbox rep in the video).

I can't say either way and we can't trust the PR. Their job is to move product. Right now it's time to sell Xbones for Holiday 2015. Any rumblings about a newer or slimmer model would hurt sales.

Slim models typically boost sales, so when Xbone sales seem to be dipping lower than their expectations (sooner rather than later is possible), we may see a slim model/other model released.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

All things considered I really don't care for how a console looks, but instead how it works. So far aside from the occasional boot up issue, I've had little to no issue with the Juan thankfully.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So why should this be given any credibility?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think it is quite likely there will be one

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zero_epyon

@nyadc said:
@Zero_epyon said:

They can make smaller and more efficient chips, however I doubt the console itself is going to change, I've seen quite a few people holding their breath and it appears to be futile, especially with how short this generation is likely to end up being.

Also a PlayStation 4 slim is something I want to confidently say will never happen, they've already got that thing jam packed to the brim, even with slightly smaller chips I don't see it happening, their thermal solution is already on the brink of unreliability.

Seems to be working just fins as there aren't many reports of catastrophic failures like last generation. Besides, the PS3 was pretty jam packed as well and they made a slim and a super slim by the time the generation was over. They'll do it with the PS4 to gain ground on aesthetics and manufacturing costs. It would be a mistake for MS to not do the same.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@nyadc said:
a PlayStation 4 slim is something I want to confidently say will never happen, they've already got that thing jam packed to the brim, even with slightly smaller chips I don't see it happening, their thermal solution is already on the brink of unreliability.

It works fine, it's just louder because of the design. But that's beside the point - a smaller and more energy efficient chip allows for less "robust" thermal solutions to do the same job. So - a PS4 could absolutely get smaller if its circuitry was made cooler. That would allow even worse airflow and wimpier cooling to keep the the system in a safe heat range

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@lostrib said:

So why should nyadc be given any credibility?

ftfy

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

No one is waiting for an Xbox slim though.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NyaDC

@blufalconultra said:

Tons of people are, it's half the reason countless people have said they're waiting.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib

@nyadc said:
@blufalconultra said:

Tons of people are, it's half the reason countless people have said they're waiting.

source?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NyaDC

@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@blufalconultra said:

source?

Why do you need a source for that? You're on these forums and the Internet as much as I am, I don't even know how many posts of people I've seen saying "I'll wait for the slim" and other variants of that same concept.

Don't be that guy right now, I know you've seen that same shit.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lostrib
@nyadc said:
@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@blufalconultra said:

source?

Why do you need a source for that? You're on these forums and the Internet as much as I am, I don't even know how many posts of people I've seen saying "I'll wait for the slim" and other variants of that same concept.

Obviously I haven't if i'm asking for a source. I'm not sure what you quantify as "tons of people" and where you got the info that it's half the reason people are waiting. Most of the things I see people saying about waiting for a console has to do with games

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NyaDC

@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@lostrib said:
@nyadc said:
@blufalconultra said:

source?

Obviously I haven't if i'm asking for a source. I'm not sure what you quantify as "tons of people" and where you got the info that it's half the reason people are waiting. Most of the things I see people saying about waiting for a console has to do with games

Oh I'm sure you haven't, get the hell out of here, everyone has... Maybe it's not half the reason, it's a large reason though as a lot of the complaints are related to its size.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zero_epyon

@lostrib: He's been reduced to anecdotal evidence. That "Xbox taking over the world by 2015's end" thing has fried his brain.

Altivera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Altivera
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

They will probably make one, a definite sure if the ps4 gets a slim model.

off-topic but where the hell are all these views coming from.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NyaDC

@Zero_epyon said:

@lostrib: He's been reduced to anecdotal evidence. That "Xbox taking over the owrld by 2015's end" thing has fried his brain.

Are you people seriously saying you haven't seen the god knows how many posts over the last two years from countless people saying they're going to wait for a slim model...

You think you've got me pigeonholed right now because I can't source a bunch of random posts, however I know I've seen it, I know you've seen it, we run in the same circles, shut up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

****'em then. Not buying a VCR.

@altivera said:

Holy shit!

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NyaDC

@hernandezzzz said:

****'em then. Not buying a VCR.

@altivera said:

Holy shit!

What the ****, 25,349....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

I'm gonna go with what everyone has said, I don't believe anyone isn't interested for an Xbox One slim. What benefits can MS gain from making a slim? Before E3 2015, there were rumors that MS might be announcing Xbox One slim but it didn't happen. The Xbox One design is fine, no one isn't interested on a slim, some people aren't ready to buy Xbox One or just not interested atm.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zero_epyon

@nyadc said:
@Zero_epyon said:

@lostrib: He's been reduced to anecdotal evidence. That "Xbox taking over the owrld by 2015's end" thing has fried his brain.

Are you people seriously saying you haven't seen the god knows how many posts over the last two years from countless people saying they're going to wait for a slim model...

You think you've got me pigeonholed right now because I can't source a bunch of random posts, however I know I've seen it, I know you've seen it, we run in the same circles, shut up.

No. If there are that many, can you cite just one?

It's really easy, just put xbox one slim system wars into google.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@nyadc: yes that's exactly what I'm saying. I've seen plenty of posts of people waiting for certain games (halo, gears, quantum break), or even price drops. But I'm not sure where you're getting the idea of all these countless tons of people who are just holding out for a slim model. Hence asking for a source

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@Zero_epyon said:

No. If there are that many, can you cite just one?

It's really easy, just put xbox one slim system wars into google.

With a quick google search, I stumble on this link Xbox One Slim holding out, scan through those comments and good luck find the actual answers to NyaDC question.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zero_epyon

@nyadc:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/xbox-one-slim-worth-buying-31522073/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/when-will-they-come-out-with-slim-systems-this-gen-32028640/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/new-xbox-one-model-bundle-incoming-32118271/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/who-s-holding-off-till-xbox-one-slim-and-or-halo-5-32012834/

Not very hard. Three threads, 1 made last year that was....odd.

Countless posts though? Hardly. There was only one thread specifically about the Xbox One slim. The others were speculation about a new sku or about current gen systems in general.

@davillain-: See this is what makes people talk about it. Market speculation, not consumer demand.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@nyadc said:
@SolidTy said:

You are so gullible.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

So while it's perfectly fine to use pieces of media to extrapolate discussions in SW (and GS forums in general), I'm not really understanding why you would consider this youtuber to have any more credibility to his claims than any of us here on the forum.

Genuinely curious, does he have inside contacts or someone close to the company that gives him hints on what may/may not happen?

---

In any case, I think a Slim version for the XB1 and PS4 will happen sooner or later. It's always a fantastic chance to "reboot" mid-gen. Look at what the PS3 Slim did for Sony. It pulled the whole PS sector from a miserable failure to a decent market competitor (it never quite caught up with the X360 in total sales but for something that suffered as many PR, pricing and even software [lack of, in this case] issues early on, it came decently close).

If MS devises a new strategy, which they are more than capable of doing, along the launch of a Slim/New XB1 model there is no reason as to why the same can't happen to them. If done well it's a win-win situation for companies: they get more sales mid-gen and produce units at much lower costs.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zero_epyon

@Desmonic said:

So while it's perfectly fine to use pieces of media to extrapolate discussions in SW (and GS forums in general), I'm not really understanding why you would consider this youtuber to have any more credibility to his claims than any of us here on the forum.

Genuinely curious, does he have inside contacts or someone close to the company that give him hints on what may/may not happen?

---

In any case, I think a Slim version for the XB1 and PS4 will happen sooner or later. It's always a fantastic chance to "reboot" mid-gen. Look at the PS3 Slim did for Sony. It pulled the whole PS sector from a miserable failure to a decent market competitor (it never quite caught up with the X360 in total sales but for something that suffered as many PR, pricing and even software [lack of, in this case] issues early on, it came decently close).

If MS devises a new strategy, which they are more than capable of doing, along the launch of a Slim/New XB1 model there is no reason as to why the same can't happen to them. If done well it's a win-win situation for companies: they get more sales mid-gen and produce units at much lower costs.

I think it's more, "This guy says what I think, therefore, he's credible" kind of thing.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

book marking this thread for future purposes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

This youtuber has no more credibility than any of us on the subject, and this is kind of a weak thread.

As for the discussion, I'm not overly offended by the size of my XBertha here. Let's not try to undermine that it's a big ass console with frankly, little aesthetic appeal. If they came out with a slim, which i'm sure they'll do when it's most viable, and the redesign gave it the ability to stand up, I'm sure it would be welcome.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

More like they have a bunch of Xbox Ones sitting in warehouses that they can't sell, the moment the even hint a slim version is coming those would have to be sold off cheap or put in landfill.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

The size is a problem.

It's coming. i mean who asked for the 360 slim?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I have overheard a conversation at Microsoft HQ and I know this will be a killer for Nyadc who not only thinks the sun shines out of Microsoft's ass he has actually had plastic surgery to make his own ass Xbox shaped but who am I to judge?

MS: guys are we doing an Xbox Slim?

MS marketing monkeys: No sir, hardly any fucker has bought the other one.

MS: alrighty then.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Some random youtuber is telling a story about how he asked an Xbox PR person(s) about a slim model? That's not even worth discussing.

This. That said, Adam's a cool dude.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NyaDC

@Desmonic said:

Genuinely curious, does he have inside contacts or someone close to the company that gives him hints on what may/may not happen?

---

In any case, I think a Slim version for the XB1 and PS4 will happen sooner or later. It's always a fantastic chance to "reboot" mid-gen. Look at what the PS3 Slim did for Sony. It pulled the whole PS sector from a miserable failure to a decent market competitor (it never quite caught up with the X360 in total sales but for something that suffered as many PR, pricing and even software [lack of, in this case] issues early on, it came decently close).

He interviewed Microsoft employees at PaX Prime 2014/2015.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49567 Posts

I'm more interested in an Xbox One that can stand vertically.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NyaDC

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I'm more interested in an Xbox One that can stand vertically.

If you don't insert physical media into the console, is there technically any actual reason you can't stand it vertically?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'm starting to think that this might be the first major console that I skip on. Unless some dark horse emerges, it's all hinging on Scalebound right now.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

This thread has over 60,000 views and it's only been posted today.

wat