For those of you that HAS played xenogears and FF7.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by slvrraven9 (9239 posts) -

i recently started playing FF7 (thanx to the psn store DL!) i then also shortly after started playing xenogears. im now playing them both but it just seems like xenogears has aged far better than ff7. i dont know but i think its the art style of xenogears that i like over FF7, at least im PRETTY sure thats the case. anyway, im a lover of both games i can play xenogears and not actually feel like im playing a game from the 90's whereas ff7 i do.

#2 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28503 posts) -

i recently started playing FF7 (thanx to the psn store DL!) i then also shortly after started playing xenogears. im now playing them both but it just seems like xenogears has aged far better than ff7. i dont know but i think its the art style of xenogears that i like over FF7, at least im PRETTY sure thats the case. anyway, im a lover of both games i can play xenogears and not actually feel like im playing a game from the 90's whereas ff7 i do.

slvrraven9

most definately Xenogears had the fresh gameplay and the better story, ff7 was generic in every way.

#3 Posted by Yandere (9878 posts) -

FF7 bores me in every way, I play the game for around 10 mins every 3 weeks. Honestly, the game is dreadfully overrated.

#4 Posted by Crossel777 (5735 posts) -

The only thing that hasn't aged well in FF7 is the graphics, everything else is pure gaming goodness.

#5 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

First of all, VII was in no way generic. People have this habit of comparing VII with all of the games released AFTER VII in 1997. Part of the reason why it's so popular is because it stepped out of the medieval box, that even VI was afraid to do.

Second, Xenogears has aged better because VII is a graphically confused game. You have "realistic" characters in battles, and stubby characters on the map, and then realistic characters in some fmv, with stubby characters in others, and buildings that are small and cute on the outside with large insides, and then there are the buildings that are true to size ... and ... well. Yeah.

Xenogears is a much better game than FFVII, anyways. But VII is a great charming game that's both underrated and overrated, but is more likely to be underrated more than not these days.

#6 Posted by Odrec (1897 posts) -
Xenogears is my favorite rpg ever. FF7 is pretty good, in my top 5 at least but is not and would never be a Xenogears for me.
#7 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -
i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the game
#8 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gamesurrealnumber5

It did? Care to explain?

#9 Posted by Melkari (576 posts) -

FFVII is still one of my favorite games to this day. Strange and dated graphics and "mediocre story" or not, it's still very charming and very fun to go through with great music, characters, mini games and locations. The people instigating hatred against it are generally those that believe WRPGs are Jesus in game form or people that just don't want to look like followers considering all the FFVII spinoffs and sequels that have been thrown at us recently.

However, Xenogears continues to be in a league of its own by still being the best RPG story, 11 years later. I would say in a technical sense, FFVII's graphics were superior, but Xenogears wins in art design. I would take a Xenogears remake over an FFVII remake anyday, provided the graphics and dialogue awkwardness were the only things changed.

#10 Posted by slvrraven9 (9239 posts) -
i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gamesurrealnumber5
i didnt know there was more than one version of xenogears! i couldnt tel you about the ether doubler, i mustve pased that part without knowing AGAIN! i never noticed that in the game! ill have to atart the game over and look for that buy. at what point are you given the chance? man i did NOT know there was more than one version of xenogears!!
#11 Posted by Yandere (9878 posts) -

First of all, VII was in no way generic. People have this habit of comparing VII with all of the games released AFTER VII in 1997. Part of the reason why it's so popular is because it stepped out of the medieval box, that even VI was afraid to do.

Second, Xenogears has aged better because VII is a graphically confused game. You have "realistic" characters in battles, and stubby characters on the map, and then realistic characters in some fmv, with stubby characters in others, and buildings that are small and cute on the outside with large insides, and then there are the buildings that are true to size ... and ... well. Yeah.

Xenogears is a much better game than FFVII, anyways. But VII is a great charming game that's both underrated and overrated, but is more likely to be underrated more than not these days.

hakanakumono

Quite a few RPGs weren't in a medieval setting back then, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei was released a month before the first final fantasy and it was set in the 1980s.

#12 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gameslvrraven9
i didnt know there was more than one version of xenogears! i couldnt tel you about the ether doubler, i mustve pased that part without knowing AGAIN! i never noticed that in the game! ill have to atart the game over and look for that buy. at what point are you given the chance? man i did NOT know there was more than one version of xenogears!!

He could be talking about ... regional differences maybe? I don't know. I've gone through Xenogears websites and seen various things like name changes from "Church" to "Ethos" but I've never heard of version differences.

#13 Posted by Chokipez (74 posts) -

hakanakumono
Sure, if the first time you had ever played FFVII you had never read any books or seen any movies, I guess it would seem like the greatest thing ever. There are so many common and yes, GENERIC elements, characters, bits of dialogue, and action scenes that have been done before in other forms of media. This is why FF7s main fanbase are young teenagers, they don't know any better. When it all boils down to it, FF7 was a very cookie-cutter form of entertainment, popular only because of it's "cool" and "edgy" sense of atmosphere and storytelling.
#14 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Yandere

Quite a few RPGs weren't in a medieval setting back then, Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei was released a month before the first final fantasy and it was set in the 1980s.

Subtract "Quite" from your sentence and I think you'd have a more accurate look at the market. There were a few non medieval themed fantasy games, but the majority of them didn't step outside of the box. Even "futuristic" RPGs like Star Ocean were mostly medieval in appearence (and continued to be).

#15 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

I take Xenogears over FF7 any given moment and it's not because of graphics only.

#16 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Chokipez

Sure, if the first time you had ever played FFVII you had never read any books or seen any movies, I guess it would seem like the greatest thing ever. There are so many common and yes, GENERIC elements, characters, bits of dialogue, and action scenes that have been done before in other forms of media. This is why FF7s main fanbase are young teenagers, they don't know any better. When it all boils down to it, FF7 was a very cookie-cutter form of entertainment, popular only because of it's "cool" and "edgy" sense of atmosphere and storytelling.

First of all, the translation is known for being terrible. No one raves about Final Fantasy VII's dialouge.

Second, what was really generic about VII? I mean, really? After all of the hate the game gets I began to think that the game wasn't that great because I let others taint my memory of the game. I went back and played it and it exceeded my expectations.

But yeah, I want to know what you think was generic. Let's go over what wasn't generic first:

+ Corporation as an enemy rather than government or empire.

+ Cast. They didn't look like JRPG heroes of old.

+ World. Much more modernized; Didn't follow the same depiction of "futuristic" that had previously graced Final Fantasy games.

+ Villain. He was more thought out than any Final Fantasy villain beforehand, and I'm not aware of any other JRPGs that devoted such an extensive backstory to a JRPG or even thought of explaining the motive beyond simply being "evil."

+ System. Obviously the Materia system was not generic, although the ingame battles might be considered as such.

+ Connection to our world. VII is definitely a game of the 90s when the idea of global climate change was beginning to set in. VII showcased a magical representation of the problems ailing our world today. Again, not something really being done in JRPGs at the time.

By the way, I suspect you don't understand the meaning of generic. Just because things had been done in books, movies, or had been done before at all doesn't make it generic. Most if not all forms of storytelling media take inspiration from multiple sources.

#17 Posted by mythrol (5237 posts) -

slvrraven9
Part of the issue is that Final Fantasy 7 came out a year earlier than Xenogears and was Squaresoft's first big 3D title. No FF7 hasn't aged the best due to the technology used in it's making, but coming from someone who actually bought the game on release day I can tell you, for it's time it was a revolutionary game. It's gotten a stigmatism due to so many people calling it the "bEst1 gAmexz EvAr!2" and so naturally countless people had to start hating it because of that. What I can say is this, FF7 single handedly propelled RPGs to the top of the gaming world for it's time. It changed the way RPGs were viewed and was one of the first console games that catered to an adult (they drop the "S" word countless times in that game) all the while having one of the best story twists ever in Aeris death coming out of nowhere. I still loved Xenogears too, and it "might" be a better game but in the realm of which one had the biggest influence on RPGs and other games in general, there is little doubt that that goes to FF7.
#18 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gamehakanakumono

It did? Care to explain?

the game fell short on funds, the whole story time on disk 2 was going to be playable game as it was on disk one. there were rumors that after the game was put out there were some additions to later released Xenogears: Elyhaym Van Houten Edition and Xenogears: Wong Fei Fong Edition but these games were only in japanese so i cant tell you if they rumors are true or not
#19 Posted by kozzy1234 (35356 posts) -

I own both games but i still to this day enjoy FF7 more.

#20 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gamesurrealnumber5

It did? Care to explain?

the game fell short on funds, the whole story time on disk 2 was going to be playable game as it was on disk one. there were rumors that after the game was put out there were some additions to later released Xenogears: Elyhaym Van Houten Edition and Xenogears: Wong Fei Fong Edition but these games were only in japanese so i cant tell you if they rumors are true or not

Ah, okay. Those versions exist, but they don't include any of the summaries of disc 2 in playable form. They're part of a millenium edition series, which a number of Square games were released for.

#21 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gameslvrraven9

the village in the sand ....... nisan i think
#22 Posted by Chokipez (74 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chokipez"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

First of all, the translation is known for being terrible. No one raves about Final Fantasy VII's dialouge.

Second, what was really generic about VII? I mean, really? After all of the hate the game gets I began to think that the game wasn't that great because I let others taint my memory of the game. I went back and played it and it exceeded my expectations.

But yeah, I want to know what you think was generic. Let's go over what wasn't generic first:

+ World. Much more modernized; Didn't follow the same depiction of "futuristic" that had previously graced Final Fantasy games.

+ Villain. He was more thought out than any Final Fantasy villain beforehand, and I'm not aware of any other JRPGs that devoted such an extensive backstory to a JRPG or even thought of explaining the motive beyond simply being "evil."

+ System. Obviously the Materia system was not generic, although the ingame battles might be considered as such.

+ Connection to our world. VII is definitely a game of the 90s when the idea of global climate change was beginning to set in. VII showcased a magical representation of the problems ailing our world today. Again, not something really being done in JRPGs at the time.

By the way, I suspect you don't understand the meaning of generic. Just because things had been done in books, movies, or had been done before at all doesn't make it generic. Most if not all forms of storytelling media take inspiration from multiple sources.

First off I would like to say that I consider video games to be a form of media and entertainment. If I buy a game that tells a story, I'm going to compare it to stories I have seen before. After all, what if one book just took all of the best elements from Mark Twain's and put them into one book, then was critically acclaimed to be one of the best ever? Obviously there was "inspiration", but when the inspiration comes in so obvious and so often, it becomes derivation, and that is what makes FFVII such a generic game. Yes, I know what generic means, no need to reassure me. What is an RPG without the story? Absolutely nothing. Therefore, when I (and a lot of people, for that matter) talk about RPGs, we talk about the game's story. People think 12 was disappointing, but it had a great battle system and played perfectly. The story fell flat though, and so did most people's opinions of it. That's how important story is to RPGs. That being said, if you can HONESTLY look at all of FFVII's story and not find a scene that has been done similarly or exactly the same in a movie or a book, then I suggest you put down the controller. We're on different pages here. I guess in terms of only comparing to other FF games that FF7 was revolutionary, only in the sense that it was so different than its predecessors. But it was only that. There was nothing that it did for entertainment as a whole, story-wise. And that, good sir, is why I say it is "Generic".
#23 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]

WilliamRLBaker

most definately Xenogears had the fresh gameplay and the better story, ff7 was generic in every way.

Wow for the first time I agree completely with you.

#24 Posted by surrealnumber5 (23044 posts) -
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gamesurrealnumber5

also you can beat graf durring story time on disk 2 with out cheating but it is hard, i needed a Z-charger on fei, and used wild smile (BART), my brother used the ether doubler on billy and his square attack and wildsmile. he gives you the executioners something, its been around 6 years since i have played so some things are a bit fuzzy. the people over at gamefaqs at the time said you could not beat him with out gameshark, cheats are a joke
#25 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Chokipez"]Sure, if the first time you had ever played FFVII you had never read any books or seen any movies, I guess it would seem like the greatest thing ever. There are so many common and yes, GENERIC elements, characters, bits of dialogue, and action scenes that have been done before in other forms of media. This is why FF7s main fanbase are young teenagers, they don't know any better. When it all boils down to it, FF7 was a very cookie-cutter form of entertainment, popular only because of it's "cool" and "edgy" sense of atmosphere and storytelling. Chokipez

First off I would like to say that I consider video games to be a form of media and entertainment. If I buy a game that tells a story, I'm going to compare it to stories I have seen before. After all, what if one book just took all of the best elements from Mark Twain's and put them into one book, then was critically acclaimed to be one of the best ever? Obviously there was "inspiration", but when the inspiration comes in so obvious and so often, it becomes derivation, and that is what makes FFVII such a generic game. Yes, I know what generic means, no need to reassure me. What is an RPG without the story? Absolutely nothing. Therefore, when I (and a lot of people, for that matter) talk about RPGs, we talk about the game's story. People think 12 was disappointing, but it had a great battle system and played perfectly. The story fell flat though, and so did most people's opinions of it. That's how important story is to RPGs. That being said, if you can HONESTLY look at all of FFVII's story and not find a scene that has been done similarly or exactly the same in a movie or a book, then I suggest you put down the controller. We're on different pages here. I guess in terms of only comparing to other FF games that FF7 was revolutionary, only in the sense that it was so different than its predecessors. But it was only that. There was nothing that it did for entertainment as a whole, story-wise. And that, good sir, is why I say it is "Generic".

You can't just muddle all mediums together. When you say "VII is generic" it's implied that you're setting a boundry line around the JRPG genre because its unreasonable to accuse VII of being generic for using a commonly used plot device in movies and apply it to videogames, where it isn't a commonly used plot device. Basically, using the word "generic" implies that you're drawing a boundary line around at least videogames.

For VII to be generic it has to use plot devices, twists, turns, elements, whatever that are used frequently in the JRPG genre. It's silly to judge VII by the standards of a book or a movie, because it isn't a book or a movie. I still don't think you understand the meaning of generic, anyways. You can have a completely unoriginal RPG that evades the category of "generic" as long as it isn't an amalgamation of commonly used JRPG elements.

#26 Posted by slvrraven9 (9239 posts) -
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"][QUOTE="surrealnumber5"]i wonder what version of xenogears it is, as the last disk had some small changes depending on the version. oh yea, it is worth the graind at the start of the game to save up the money for an ether doubler. you wont be able to buy another at any point in the gamesurrealnumber5

you mena one version has it and one doesnt? my version has nisan in it. but then again i had to buy the game 3 times so i probably do have an updated version of it! i bought it for the last time when square was doing the grand rerelease of the game years and years ago....
#27 Posted by CoreoVII (1838 posts) -

Their is so much pointless dialogue on Xenogears that I fell asleep with its dated anime story.

#28 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

Their is so much pointless dialogue on Xenogears that I fell asleep with its dated anime story.

CoreoVII

Says the person with a Kingdom Hearts avatar.

Something tells me you never got very far in Xenogears.

#29 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

[QUOTE="CoreoVII"]

hakanakumono

Says the person with a Kingdom Hearts avatar.

Something tells me you never got very far in Xenogears.

Kingdom Hearts was your typical fruity kids,"Lets all be friends and sing hannah montana songs", story.I bet he is a Naruto fan too.Xenogears on the other was a love story with bits of Freud, Jung, and Nietzsche philosophies wrapped around it.

#30 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2415 posts) -

Xenogears is the best RPG of all time IMO. Best story + Nice graphics + Best Music / soundtrack ever

#31 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

slvrraven9

I will agree with that also, FF7 is a very hard game to go back and play. One day I need to go back and play the prequels to Xenogears.

#32 Posted by Melkari (576 posts) -

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]

HarlockJC

I will agree with also. One day I need to go back and play the prequels to Xenogears.

Xenosaga got shafted in pretty much every direction. It had issues and wasn't on the same level as Xenogears, but going straight through Episode I to Episode III, it's by far my favorite RPG storyline last gen. Too bad they didn't get to finish it.

#33 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="slvrraven9"]

Melkari

I will agree with also. One day I need to go back and play the prequels to Xenogears.

Xenosaga got shafted in pretty much every direction. It had issues and wasn't on the same level as Xenogears, but going straight through Episode I to Episode III, it's by far my favorite RPG storyline last gen. Too bad they didn't get to finish it.

They still might you never know. Nintendo may own them down but there has been a number of Sqaure/Nintendo games. With how many remakes come to the WIi. We could see remakes than hopefully squeals.
#34 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

hakanakumono

I wouldn't say the older ff were medieval. They were fantasy. In fact they were always fantasy before VII. Fantasy can have some medieval elements but, it doesn't mean the setting is medieval. FF7 the series became more sci-fi which, I personally didn't like.

Also, the graphics for the older games were pretty bad. You couldn't really tell what they were wearing. They were just low pixellated 2d sprites. FF7 looked alot better because you going to 3d and have the FMV sceenes. So you were finally able to make out what the characters look like.

#35 Posted by AppleBlade (615 posts) -

Xenogears was my favorite RPG of that gen while the gen was taking place. Looking back, I have more fond memories of FF7. I guess it was all the hype surrounding the game. It was the first RPG I ever purchased at launch and along with Donkey Kong Country for the SNES and Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii is among my most hyped for games ever.

#36 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

sleepingzzz

I wouldn't say the older ff were medieval. They were fantasy. In fact they were always fantasy before VII. Fantasy can have some medieval elements but, it doesn't mean the setting is medieval. FF7 the series became more sci-fi which, I personally didn't like.

Also, the graphics for the older games were pretty bad. You couldn't really tell what they were wearing. They were just low pixellated 2d sprites. FF7 looked alot better because you going to 3d and have the FMV sceenes. So you were finally able to make out what the characters look like.

Sci-Fi is fantasy. Medieval is castles, dragons, dungeons and that type of thing. There have always been sci fi elements in Final Fantasy games, ever since the very first one. VI was much more industrialized than the other Final Fantasies, but it was still very medieval.

I don't think the older graphics were "bad" they were just a part of the times. I think VI looks pretty good. I think VI is graphically a better quality game than VII, actually.

#37 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="slvrraven9"]

Melkari

Xenosaga is complete; it was basically summarized. There are a lot of rumors floating around Xenosaga and the team so it's difficult to know what is and isn't real. But I believe that the Xenosaga ending we got wasn't the original ending. I'd really like to know how the story was truly supposed to develop, because I found the final revelations to be silly.

#38 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Sci-Fi is fantasy. Medieval is castles, dragons, dungeons and that type of thing. There have always been sci fi elements in Final Fantasy games, ever since the very first one. VI was much more industrialized than the other Final Fantasies, but it was still very medieval.

I don't think the older graphics were "bad" they were just a part of the times. I think VI looks pretty good. I think VI is graphically a better quality game than VII, actually.

Well FF7 has dragons, dungeons, and that type of things too. I'm just saying the graphics weren't good enough to make the stuff look different from the other rpgs. It looked like the other games that were medieval. The houses were just big blocks on the screen. The big change came with FMV and 3d.

Your party in FF6 were mostly fantasy characters. Cyan is probably the character that looks most like he's from the medieval period.

Your right Sci-Fi is also Fantasy but, FF7 went hardcore with machines and technology in the story. FF6 does also but not to the extent that FF7 does. The entire main city in FF7 is made too look like a futuristic cyber city. I would say FF7 is where the series goes to a more heavy Sci-Fi theme. They didn't go back to a more fantasy theme till 9.

#39 Posted by CaptainHarley (2703 posts) -

xenogears is my favourite jrpg, probably out of nostalgia (i know chrono trigger is better, really, but i like xg so much for some reason). i am going to go back and try to play it again sometime soon and see if it aged as badly as most old jrpgs have. personally, i would love so see an updated version with sensical dialogue.

also xenosaga sucked

#40 Posted by shutdown_202 (5647 posts) -

hakanakumono

Agreed, except for that part Xenogears>FFVII

I always thought i was the only one to notice the graphical inconsistancy. I've never ever seen anyone mention it. And when i bring it up, people always have a wtf? look on their face.

#41 Posted by menserman (218 posts) -

The only thing that hasn't aged well in FF7 is the graphics, everything else is pure gaming goodness.

Crossel777
you think they woulda made ff7 in 2d or buffed the graphics for an rpg that helped put them on the map.makes you wonder if they even seen it since back in the day when they first made it lol