For Non-Haters Who Genuinely Think Halo 3 is "more of the same"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts
...and are too lazy to look up the new features in the game. Usually its the fanboys who think "teh Halo is overrated" and in actuality never played or only played a level of the game at a friends house). It's more than most games innovate from sequel to sequel, but I've heard this one too many times and it's driving me crazy. So here's a quick rundown:

-new guns (strategic differences; refer to link if interested)
-new vehicles (stragetic differences; some vehicles handicap your ability to one thing or another)
-new multiplayer maps (new replayability)
-new "man cannon" (transportation mode, not a vehicle, fast but makes you extremely vulnerable)
-new shields (you can shoot out of but bullets don't penetrate in)
-the (x) button (no one knows what this actually does, but I suspect its a sprint)
-new/final chapter in storyline (can't complete the series without 3, duh)

Still think it's just "more toys, same game"? Check out EGMs special about how the new toys affect gameplay:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3155479&sec=PREVIEWS

So let's stop with all this hater crap about "Well, it won't do anything new, so it can't get AAA or it will flop" crap.
Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

First of all, I'm a Halo fan, so I'm not hating on the game, I think it'll be great, BUT...

More content =/= completely new gameplay. I'm sure the new weapons and vehicles will add some new strategies to the game, that's obvious, but I really don't expect it to reinvent the wheel.

Halo 2 was an amazingly fun game, it didn't have all the features or detail of some other games, but it was a game that was insanely fun, had great variety depending on map / game mode, and had huge replay value.

As long as they add some new stuff I'm happy, I don't want them to make a completely different game.

GatoFeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GatoFeo
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts
I did'nt mind reading all that.... yea, Halo is overrated. Halo is a alien fps game with wierd weapons.
GatoFeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GatoFeo
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts
And yea, it should be the same cause if it was changed, many halo fans would be dissappointed... Well in my opinion.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
...and are too lazy to look up the new features in the game. Usually its the fanboys who think "teh Halo is overrated" and in actuality never played or only played a level of the game at a friends house). It's more than most games innovate from sequel to sequel, but I've heard this one too many times and it's driving me crazy. So here's a quick rundown:

-new vehicles (stragetic differences; some vehicles handicap your ability to one thing or another)
-new "man cannon" (transportation mode, not a vehicle, fast but makes you extremely vulnerable)
-the (x) button (no one knows what this actually does, but I suspect its a sprint)

Still think it's just "more toys, same game"? Check out EGMs special about how the new toys affect gameplay:

So let's stop with all this hater crap about "Well, it won't do anything new, so it can't get AAA or it will flop" crap.
shsonline
I dunno, it looks pretty similar to its predecessors to me, and I played the original religiously for two years (and then played Halo 2 online religiously for two years). I don't have a problem with it being "more of the same," because Halo is a good series. It's no different than when cows and lems were like "LOL LEGEND OF REHASH LOL" as a clever reference to Twilight Princess. Sheep pointed out all the new and different things in Twilight Princess to no avail, so unless you're speaking to lems I can't say that what you point out that's new for Halo 3 should be any different.
Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
As long as they don't start adding a cover system and stuff, they should make some changes... not to much and not to big. I like new vehicles and new weapons as they can sometimes offer new types of strategy. But they just shouldn't touch the gameplay.
shadow_lord_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 shadow_lord_11
Member since 2004 • 20792 Posts
I dont really care. Just being named halo is good enough for me tbh. 
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shsonline
[QUOTE="shsonline"]...and are too lazy to look up the new features in the game. Usually its the fanboys who think "teh Halo is overrated" and in actuality never played or only played a level of the game at a friends house). It's more than most games innovate from sequel to sequel, but I've heard this one too many times and it's driving me crazy. So here's a quick rundown:

Tristam22
I dunno, it looks pretty similar to its predecessors to me, and I played the original religiously for two years (and then played Halo 2 online religiously for two years). I don't have a problem with it being "more of the same," because Halo is a good series. It's no different than when cows and lems were like "LOL LEGEND OF REHASH LOL" as a clever reference to Twilight Princess. Sheep pointed out all the new and different things in Twilight Princess to no avail, so unless you're speaking to lems I can't say that what you point out that's new for Halo 3 should be any different.

I agree with your post. I don't know where this whole "same ol same ol" argument as a way of bashing came up. It's silly really. Certain things in a game you shouldn't try to change. If its not broke don't try to fix it. Bungie could have been content and would have sold craploads of Halo 3 just doing new maps and weapons, but they did more in trying to improve the gameplay concerns from the last game, and also introducing new concepts.

I just posted this thread because apparently some people don't actually research a game before making a statement.
Virtual_Space1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Virtual_Space1
Member since 2004 • 343 Posts
Okay, I love Halo as much as the next guy, but while the Halo games are great, they are more evolutionary than revolutionary. Halo 3 dosent look like anything more than an evolution of Halo 2, which given how good Halo 2 was, is not really all that bad.
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts

[QUOTE="shsonline"]...and are too lazy to look up the new features in the game. Usually its the fanboys who think "teh Halo is overrated" and in actuality never played or only played a level of the game at a friends house). It's more than most games innovate from sequel to sequel, but I've heard this one too many times and it's driving me crazy. So here's a quick rundown:

Tristam22

Wow, new cars, guns and the "X" button, how original. Cows and Lems call Zelda a rehash, yet it has a new sword, shield, wolf, and the "Motion Sencing" button, so using your logic if a sequil adds guns, swords, cars, or buttons its 100% original.

shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shsonline

[QUOTE="Tristam22"][QUOTE="shsonline"]...and are too lazy to look up the new features in the game. Usually its the fanboys who think "teh Halo is overrated" and in actuality never played or only played a level of the game at a friends house). It's more than most games innovate from sequel to sequel, but I've heard this one too many times and it's driving me crazy. So here's a quick rundown:

tman93

Wow, new cars, guns and the "X" button, how original. Cows and Lems call Zelda a rehash, yet it has a new sword, shield, wolf, and the "Motion Sencing" button, so using your logic if a sequil adds guns, swords, cars, or buttons its 100% original.

I don't know why these cows and lems bashed zelda, and I'm not going to get into that. But comparing a game that has only 2 previous installments to a game that has been around for more than 20 years as far as rehashes go is kinda silly so I won't go there. This was meant to be an informative post to the people who sincerely didn't know better that Halo 3 did have many new things in it.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
[QUOTE="tman93"]

[QUOTE="Tristam22"][QUOTE="shsonline"]...and are too lazy to look up the new features in the game. Usually its the fanboys who think "teh Halo is overrated" and in actuality never played or only played a level of the game at a friends house). It's more than most games innovate from sequel to sequel, but I've heard this one too many times and it's driving me crazy. So here's a quick rundown:

shsonline

I don't know why these cows and lems bashed zelda, and I'm not going to get into that. But comparing a game that has only 2 previous installments to a game that has been around for more than 20 years as far as rehashes go is kinda silly so I won't go there. This was meant to be an informative post to the people who sincerely didn't know better that Halo 3 did have many new things in it.

Really, though, the only Zelda games that TP is very similar too are OoT and MM (and even then calling it similar to MM is a stretch). I find it difficult to believe that anyone would look at the original Legend of Zelda (or the Adventure of Link, which is radically different anyways) and call them "more than 20 years [worth of rehashes]."
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts

shsonline

I played Halo 1-2, I'm not a fanboy, and I think Halo should be high AA or low AAA at best

shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shsonline

Timesplitter14

I played Halo 1-2, I'm not a fanboy, and I think Halo should be high AA or low AAA at best

Why?
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Timesplitter14
[QUOTE="Timesplitter14"]

shsonline

Why?

Generic guns (and very few of them). Cartoony graphics.

It's mainly because I think the guns are boring, and that's important in a FPS...

vidiofreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vidiofreak
Member since 2003 • 427 Posts

Halo 3 will probably be one of the greatest games ever.

vidiofreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 vidiofreak
Member since 2003 • 427 Posts
[QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="Timesplitter14"]

Timesplitter14

Why?

It's mainly because I think the guns are boring, and that's important in a FPS...

I dont know why people say Halo has cartoony graphics. Maybe Halo 1. But Halo 2 didnt.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shsonline
[QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="Timesplitter14"]

Timesplitter14

Why?

So for you Serious Sam>>Any FPS ever?
hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
I've played Halo 1 + 2. it deserves most of its hype but it is overrated. *flame shield activated*.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shsonline
[QUOTE="hyruledweller"]I've played Halo 1 + 2. it deserves most of its hype but it is overrated. *flame shield activated*.

I hear that alot, but I have yet to hear someone actually tell me WHAT makes it overrated.
Squeek37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Squeek37
Member since 2003 • 697 Posts
man cannon ROFL
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Timesplitter14
[QUOTE="Timesplitter14"][QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="Timesplitter14"]

shsonline

Why?

So for you Serious Sam>>Any FPS ever?

Serious Sam probably has more bad points... (never played it)

But if I dont like the guns in a FPS, I think it's a good reason why I think the game should score lower

hyruledweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hyruledweller
Member since 2006 • 3168 Posts
[QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]I've played Halo 1 + 2. it deserves most of its hype but it is overrated. *flame shield activated*.

I hear that alot, but I have yet to hear someone actually tell me WHAT makes it overrated.

OK, first of all, i generally love Halo, i think its a great series, but whats soo special about it. I think the main reasons for it being so 'big' is because its just plain fun, which is a good thing and that it has no major flaws to the casual eye, it has good gameplay, good graphics, good AI, good maps, and good online. But thats it, its a great game, but it dosent really move the genre on, if FPS can be innovated anymore. i think personally it lacks depth, because all you do is shoot aliens, reload, shoot them again, that is fun and all, but thats it. Some people love that, i do at times when i just want a plain shootem-up but why lemmings think its the greatest game ever i really dont undertstand.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shsonline
[QUOTE="hyruledweller"][QUOTE="shsonline"][QUOTE="hyruledweller"]I've played Halo 1 + 2. it deserves most of its hype but it is overrated. *flame shield activated*.

OK, first of all, i generally love Halo, i think its a great series, but whats soo special about it. I think the main reasons for it being so 'big' is because its just plain fun, which is a good thing and that it has no major flaws to the casual eye, it has good gameplay, good graphics, good AI, good maps, and good online. But thats it, its a great game, but it dosent really move the genre on, if FPS can be innovated anymore. i think personally it lacks depth, because all you do is shoot aliens, reload, shoot them again, that is fun and all, but thats it. Some people love that, i do at times when i just want a plain shootem-up but why lemmings think its the greatest game ever i really dont undertstand.

I think it has ALOT of depth, compared to most games. I also think the AI was some of the best I've ever seen on Legendary.

Listen ALL games have some sense of repetition, whether its platforming, or FPS or stealth or sports or fighting or anythign else. I don't know what you mean by moving the genre on. Halo has done enough to move FPS genre on just by making it so popular on console. It did duel wielding right, it introduced the regenerating shield system for health. It had a great storyline, things happened in the story that affected the course of the game. That's like saying Pulp Fiction is about people shooting people. Shooting aliens and reloading is a gross oversimplification.

Greatest game ever? That's an opinion, but great games and critically acclaimed games that are consistently rated high are rated high for a reason, not just because they are "overrated".
obi_kenobi24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 obi_kenobi24
Member since 2003 • 119 Posts
*The TC also forgot to mention that you'll have in game tools to record video of your own matches. Thus giving you great music video capabilities if you so choose to show your ownage online. Plus the machinima will be better then ever with those added tools.

*Don't forget the a-hole button either, so you can mute the idiots who won't shut up, even faster now.

*More Spartan/Elite customization to further create the look of your clan members

*Ability to edit gravity levels in your custom matches, which opens up the many possibilities for unique and fun user created match types
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
And yea, it should be the same cause if it was changed, many halo fans would be dissappointed... Well in my opinion.GatoFeo
Not being a Halo fan, obviously, your opinion is sort of irrelevent...
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="Squeek37"]man cannon ROFL

:P Name isn't set yet.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shsonline
*The TC also forgot to mention that you'll have in game tools to record video of your own matches. Thus giving you great music video capabilities if you so choose to show your ownage online. Plus the machinima will be better then ever with those added tools.

*Don't forget the a-hole button either, so you can mute the idiots who won't shut up, even faster now.

*More Spartan/Elite customization to further create the look of your clan members

*Ability to edit gravity levels in your custom matches, which opens up the many possibilities for unique and fun user created match types
obi_kenobi24

I almost forgot about those, thanks :)