*for console gamers only - What do you think is the cost of a decent gaming PC

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 26 days ago

Poll: *for console gamers only - What do you think is the cost of a decent gaming PC (58 votes)

400 dollars 7%
600 dollars 16%
800 dollars 31%
1200 dollars 33%
1600 dollars 5%
2000 dollars 2%
2500 dollars 0%
3000 dollars 7%

i am not asking the PC gamers that already (or should) know the answer, i wanna know what console gamers think

p.s. i am no system fanboy, i had nes, snes, ps2, ps3, x360 wii and some pcs

a decent gaming PC is one that can run next gen games like Battlefield 4 or Need for Speed Rivals at decent frame-rates up to 60fps, 1080p, high to max visual settings, record videos, run wii and ps2 emulators...

#1 Edited by MonsieurX (29215 posts) -

1000$ is the sweet spot

#2 Edited by Muffin2020 (527 posts) -

$600 would be my vote. Any less and you'll struggle to upgrade it due to old mother boards and crap power supplies.

That said, unless you really can't stand not using a K/M why bother paying more for the hassle. You'd be better off with a console or spending $1000.00 for a definite improvement.

#3 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

1000$ is the sweet spot

Yep, this is where I'm at. Could I build one for less? Sure, but that would not be the PC experience that I know exists. It would be a diminished experience on a platform that I know could do much better.

#4 Edited by leandrro (787 posts) -

$600 would be my vote. Any less and you'll struggle to upgrade it due to old mother boards and crap power supplies.

a very very good corsair 450W PSU costs around 20-25

you can put a 200W graphics card on it, and only upgrade to another 200W card made in a new technology, like upgrading from a 45nm card to a 28nm card would give you more than 200% performance increase without any PSU power increase

#5 Edited by thegroveman (115 posts) -

You can get a good PC for $6-800, but you won't get more than 3 years of decent performance out of it without updating the graphics card and/or increasing RAM at that 2-3 year mark, which turns it in to a $8-1,000 PC.

#6 Edited by K1ngd0m4g3rul3z (178 posts) -

@thegroveman said:

You can get a good PC for $6-800, but you won't get more than 3 years of decent performance out of it without updating the graphics card and/or increasing RAM at that 2-3 year mark, which turns it in to a $8-1,000 PC.

Increasing the Ram? WHy? Do you think games will require 16gb in 2-3 years?

Also you can sell your old gpu when upgrading, so that recoups partially the cost of the upgrade

#7 Posted by thegroveman (115 posts) -

@thegroveman said:

Also you can sell your old gpu when upgrading, so that recoups partially the cost of the upgrade

I haven't built a PC in a few years, I've moved to consoles after I had kids, so my thoughts may be a bit dated :) For $600 you'd probably be sitting at 4 GB, right? I'm not talking about going to 16, but in 3 years 8 will likely be the standard. Good point about reselling the GPU, I never bought high end GPUs back in the day, just midrange so they weren't worth much when I replaced them.

#8 Posted by FerdMertz (1034 posts) -

I'm the stereotypical console gamer. The only PC game I've ever played was House of the Dead 2 at least 10 years ago. I'm 36 years old and I don't know jack shit about computers.

I'm under the impression that for a PC to beat the available graphics on the X1/PS4 you have to spend over $1000.

#9 Edited by K1ngd0m4g3rul3z (178 posts) -

@thegroveman said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z said:

@thegroveman said:

I haven't built a PC in a few years, I've moved to consoles after I had kids, so my thoughts may be a bit dated :) For $600 you'd probably be sitting at 4 GB, right? I'm not talking about going to 16, but in 3 years 8 will likely be the standard. Good point about reselling the GPU, I never bought high end GPUs back in the day, just midrange so they weren't worth much when I replaced them.

Well I reckon you can squeeze 8gb 1600 mhz ram in a 600$ build.

And it doesn't matter if the card is midrange or high end, it's gonna lose about 50%-60% of its value in 2 years time, so if buying a similarly priced one you save 40% at least.

I sold my 6870 Asus DirectCU II (148€ in June-July 2011) for 75€ and got a 7950 Sapphire Dual Boost X(which is actually higher end) for 150€, so at the end of the day I only paid 75€ after 2.5 years.

#10 Edited by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

@FerdMertz: And you'd be correct. But you get what you pay for. I wouldnt spend less then $1k on a gaming pc.

#11 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

I was going to put my money on 800-1200, but since it's a poll, I'll go with the higher number.

#12 Edited by farrell2k (5692 posts) -

$400 hardware will already outperform both consoles, so to really out-do them and play Windows games, at least $500. An FX 6300 and an R9 270 will outperform the PS4 for the next 5 years or more.

#13 Posted by Kloney (659 posts) -

The one I'm looking at is 1200

#14 Posted by heretrix (37293 posts) -

Oh GHOD. I need to get some popcorn for this thread.

#15 Posted by DonnaTroy (232 posts) -

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

#16 Posted by lostrib (33225 posts) -

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

*facepalm*

#17 Edited by DonnaTroy (232 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@donnatroy said:

*facepalm*

#18 Posted by lostrib (33225 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@donnatroy said:

*facepalm*

Oh this is another alt troll. You're an idiot

#19 Edited by iambatman7986 (394 posts) -

Mine was $1600, I could do it for cheaper but it does hamper with the output of the games if you go cheaper. I wanted something that would Max the best games. Plus that is with kb/mouse, headset, and the os.

#20 Posted by Zassimick (6245 posts) -

I couldn't say. I'm not sure what parts I would need and how much each part would cost. Then factor in is someone building it for me, am I purchasing it all prebuilt, or am I 'attempting' to do it myself?

Judging on what people say here though, I guess it would be around $600 - $800 for a decent machine.

#21 Posted by caseypayne69 (5386 posts) -

Is the vote on building a gaming PC or buying one from a store. To me if it is a built one than it will cost $1,000 to be semi future proof. If store bought than $1,600.

#22 Edited by AdobeArtist (22789 posts) -

If we're talking for capable performance but also that the hardware can comfortably run most games, I'd say $800. But expect to upgrade down the road.

To get ideal optimized performance with most games running at max settings (or near there) with all the bells and whistles, then should be looking at $1200-$1500. Also saves the need to upgrade later.

#23 Posted by Pray_to_me (2796 posts) -

To me fiddling with PC parts souring the net building shit, ghosting my HD etc is not fun. Redownloading and installing all my games and programs is not fun. PC's gotta be future proof for me I don't wan't to have to upgrade for 5 years which means top of the line parts that won't fail. so yeah $2000+

#24 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

About 11,000 after u include a proper Home Theater Setup

#25 Posted by lostrib (33225 posts) -

that's not a required part of a PC

#26 Posted by AdobeArtist (22789 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Don't feed the troll ;)

#27 Posted by Snugenz (11711 posts) -

To me fiddling with PC parts souring the net building shit, ghosting my HD etc is not fun. Redownloading and installing all my games and programs is not fun. PC's gotta be future proof for me I don't wan't to have to upgrade for 5 years which means top of the line parts that won't fail. so yeah $2000+

You sour the net every time you post so kindly stop.

#28 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I voted $800

#29 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I bought my PC for around $800 3 years ago I think. I still play the most recent games at decent settings. Spend much more and you'll start getting diminishing returns and spend less and there's not much point in having a PC.

#30 Posted by lostrib (33225 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Don't feed the troll ;)

Aye aye, captain. Although not sure why you guys still let him hang around. Is it just out of pity?

#31 Posted by MBirdy88 (7396 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@donnatroy said:

*facepalm*

oh look, another movie game which focuses on graphics over gameplay. "Sony Domination Continuation" .... in the movie industry.

#32 Posted by UevenLiftBro (70 posts) -

$399, as much as a PS4 is now that PS4 can do computer games on ultra

#33 Posted by NFJSupreme (5126 posts) -

For what I would call "decent" 600 to $700 is all you need these days.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2tpVA

#34 Posted by bezza2011 (2308 posts) -

Ive put $1200, yes you can build a good pc for less but a 600 700 pc would get you ps4 launch graphics slightly better but it just wouldn't be future proof, next gen isn't battlefield 4, pc next gen starts next year when the new CPUs come out a 1200 machine will get you by for a few years, if anyone thinks different and think a 600 machine will beat a ps4 3 years down the line is crazy esp when there using 8gb gddr5 it would cost more for you to get that sort of ram to bwgin with

#35 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

It is for my PC setup

#36 Posted by MonsieurX (29215 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

It is for my PC setup

Still not required to actually play games

#38 Edited by billing (611 posts) -

$800 - $1200 (if you dont already have a 2560 X 1440 27" monitor, which is recommend you do.)

#39 Edited by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@lostrib said:

Don't feed the troll ;)

Aye aye, captain. Although not sure why you guys still let him hang around. Is it just out of pity?

#40 Posted by lamprey263 (22768 posts) -

is there an unspoken agreement that everyone is installing a pirated copy of Windows on their PCs?

#41 Posted by lostrib (33225 posts) -

is there an unspoken agreement that everyone is installing a pirated copy of Windows on their PCs?

No

#42 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

Oh add another $110 for the Perfect Bass Kit which came in today!

E0ZACty.jpg

#43 Posted by lostrib (33225 posts) -

What does fishing have to do with video games?

#44 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Where the jokes!?

#45 Posted by Couth_ (9975 posts) -

IMO first time build starting with nothing should be $1500-1800 with monitor, gaming mouse, mechanical keyboard and shit.. I know none of shit is not REQUIRED but in the real world I can't tell you how many people I have seen set their budget for 800-1000 and then add on things and add on and add on until they hit that $1500 sweet spot.. You can go bare bones for 500-1000 but that's kind of lame..

#46 Posted by darkangel115 (1484 posts) -

i have a 2500 dollar gaming laptop, i don't play pc games at all really. but 600 can build one better then the X1 or PS4 spec wise, but 1000 is really the bottom line for a good gaming PC.

#47 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@lostrib said:

Don't feed the troll ;)

anybody who writes *facepalm* deserves pity, man those guys are lame,

but to be on topic......

1200 would be the magic number yall,

the price is right

#48 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

Way more than I can afford. :-P Hooray for old PC games and hooray for Steam.

#49 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Over 9000 clearly.

#50 Posted by plageus900 (963 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Shhh! He'll show us a picture of his sunglasses or something if you keep talking to him.