Five years is enough for this generation

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DressYouUp
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

The hardware capabilities of the Xbox One and PS4 were embarrassing in 2013 and even more so in 2015.

Both companies took misguided direction from Nintendo's strategy and thought it'd be cute to cheap out with the hardware.

People spend more refreshing their phone hardware every year or so, why is this not acceptable for consoles?

This gen will be remembered for the poor hardware above all else, do you agree?

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Lems giving up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

The hardware capabilities of the Xbox One and PS4 were embarrassing in 2013 and even more so in 2015.

Both companies took misguided direction from Nintendo's strategy and thought it'd be cute to cheap out with the hardware.

People spend more refreshing their phone hardware every year or so, why is this not acceptable for consoles?

People who upgrade their phones once every two years - two years, mind you, not every year, like you said - buy the phones at lower, subsidized prices, instead of paying hundreds of dollars upfront, and then don't also pay hundreds of dollars on subscription fees and buying games per year- which, going by this generation, wouldn't even carry over to the next generation.

Do I want generations to be ten years long like the previous one very nearly was? Nope. Do I want them to be as short as five years, especially when it doesn't look like the game output for this generation has even hit its stride until next year, which is halfway into the projected five year span? Nope. The consoles we have are capable enough, and developers can deliver on all sorts of outstanding experiences with this hardware. Eventually, by maybe 2020, I am sure we will be in dire need of an upgrade- but by 2018? **** no.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@DressYouUp: it's not acceptable for consoles because on some level a phone is seen as a necessity. Nothing about gaming is a necessity, it's a luxury. And it wasn't just taking from Nintendo. It's the fact that corporations don't want to lose on every console anymore from the get go. No console will be cutting edge from launch anymore. It's not cost efficient. Sony wants this gen to be long so they can ride the PS4 and online fees for as long as possible financially speaking. MS wants it to last in order to make any positive money and recover in the eyes of the general consumer from their idiotic reveal and E3 2013.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

Stop trying to hide the notion that consoles are weak. If the X1 sales were 28million, you lems would be singing a different tune. Lems only had a problem with hardware when their beloved started to fall back in the race against the PS4.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

Throwing in the fucking towel!

They want to take their basketball and go home, because no one picked them.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I completely disagree, especially because of all the remasters we've been getting so far. If this gen only lasted 5 years I wouldn't feel like my purchase was justified.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DressYouUp

Lems giving up?

Cows are delusional if they think the PS4's specs are remotely impressive.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@DressYouUp said:

Stop trying to hide the notion that consoles are weak. If the X1 sales were 28million, you lems would be singing a different tune. Lems only had a problem with hardware when their beloved started to fall back in the race against the PS4.

Sales don't have anything to do with these consoles being weak. They ARE weak, especially if we go by previous generations. This is the 1st time consoles have launched being much weaker than most computers. These consoles can't even hit 1080/60 on a consistent basis. If that's not weak then I don't know what is.

I'm not saying this gen needs to end anytime soon. I'm just saying these consoles are weak and sales have nothing to do with it.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja

ITT: Lems praying for a $600 XBox Two.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Flyincloud1116

@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@DressYouUp said:

Sales don't have anything to do with these consoles being weak. They ARE weak, especially if we go by previous generations. This is the 1st time consoles have launched being much weaker than most computers. These consoles can't even hit 1080/60 on a consistent basis. If that's not weak then I don't know what is.

I'm not saying this gen needs to end anytime soon. I'm just saying these consoles are weak and sales have nothing to do with it.

Okay, whatever.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Geesh. Some of the best games take half that time to even be made. A five year generation would be a poor one indeed. No time to realize any potential. Don't get me wrong, gen 8 is a steaming pile of hot garbage outside of the Wii U.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

Well the Wiiu is garbage this gen, PS4/X1 are great. Dont give up so soon.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@Heil68 said:
@Shewgenja said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

You have that backwards.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DressYouUp

@kingtito: The consoles were being outclassed by mid-range PCs in 2013, goes to show how cheaply put together they are.

The CPUs in particular are embarrassing.

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

both consoles are weak af

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shewgenja

So, let me get this straight.

You were told from the very beginning that "We did not target graphics"

then, some of ya'll turned around and got downright salty as hell any time the resolution wars came up

Then, it turned into a hate-fest for PS4 fans because then you told the world that graphics is literally all they cared about because you had a CPU advantage and 3-5fps higher in a few games despite shite resolutions.

AND NOW, you think Gen8 should be shorter because you put money on the wrong horse and want to say everything is terrible.. BECAUSE OF GRAPHICS?

The sheer cuntiness of this thread and the chorus of Lems joining in this charade is >9,000

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@charizard1605 man you weren't kidding about all 4 having doosies. And then everyone gets lumped in with them. Another day in SW I suppose.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Nintendo releasing an NX in 2016 will accelerate the release of next MS and Sony consoles. Also, it'll be a 4 year generation for them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I'm quite happy atm so meh.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Heil68 said:
@Shewgenja said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

You have that backwards.

Nope, I'm buried in PS4.X games, My WiiU is dusty.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Five years is enough for this generation

Dude, these aren´t the arcade games from the 80´s and 90´s that could be made in a matter of days, nowdays a game takes months to be created, with a 5 year span no studio is going to invest in making games when, by the day they are released, would be obsolete.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bread_or_Decide

@Heil68 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Heil68 said:
@Shewgenja said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

You have that backwards.

lol multiplats

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Heil68 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@Heil68 said:
@Shewgenja said:

You have that backwards.

lol multiplats

lol no 3rd party

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

@kingtito: The consoles were being outclassed by mid-range PCs in 2013, goes to show how cheaply put together they are.

Different standards.

In 2005 a 7800 was $550 and was basically the strongest card and the X1800 on 2012 a strongest card was $1,000,laws changed demanding more energy efficient devices.

It would not have matter much by 2006 the xbox 360 was already top.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DressYouUp

@tormentos said:
@DressYouUp said:

Different standards.

In 2005 a 7800 was $550 and was basically the strongest card and the X1800 on 2012 a strongest card was $1,000,laws changed demanding more energy efficient devices.

Not really, the Xbox 360 released with a triple-core processor which was fairly advanced for 2005.

None of that hardware innovation this gen, just a weak-as-piss laptop CPU which struggles to play Assassin's Creed.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

It's tough to argue for a new generation when there aren't any innovations as of yet in the present one.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

In 2011 Xbox 360 had it's biggest selling year yet when multiplats like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Batman Arkham City were releasing. If you remember, the difference between the PC and Console version was hilarious at that point, way beyond any multiplat discrepancy on PS4 to PC as of yet (albeit that was 6 years into the 360's lifecycle).

At the moment the biggest multiplat differences we've seen so far can only be properly noticed when Digital Foundry zoom into a small block of the screen. Last gen, videos didn't need to zoom in 500% to Battlefield 3 to see that the PC version was in another visual leauge. It was right there in your face. But despite what SW thinks, no one boycotted the PS3 and 360, instead they bought more of them than they ever bought before.

In this gen, despite all the weak hardware talk, we have multiplats like Batman that are one of the best looking games on the market today, and look better on consoles. Obviously the PC version could have easily looked better if done right, but that's not the point, the point is that these consoles are still very capable of impressing the consumer on a visual level even in 2015.

In 2016, Quantum Break, Uncharted 4, Horizon release exclusively to consoles. Those games will impress even the most experienced gamers graphically. Despite the fact that these consoles were already '2 years out of date on release'. Nobody is going to stop buying these consoles because of how much better the PC version looks.

In essence, the hardware argument for a shorter gen is dumb. Game development cycles are too long now, and graphics only matter on the surface.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

In theory 2016 is going to be the first good year for these consoles, that's year 3 for those boxes. So no this gen needs to be a longer gen, bringing in a new set of machines brings us back to another drought.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

These type of things are why I'm constantly reminded that some gamers are just........... Ugh let me not say what I wanna because things can get real ugly here with the quickness...

Anyway why are people so hung up on specs so much?? People act as if 1080p/ 60fps or 4K or whatever bullshit resolution comes after that is some type of mumbo jumbo thing that will magically allow great games to be made...

I mean just the thought process of some of you gamers is just far beyond the state of reality I fear for the human race.

People act as if a game like Devil's Third for instance will be a great game if it was 1080p/ 60fps...... No it'll still be a shit game!

Even if these consoles can do 1080p/ 60 people will still find shit to complain about and want more power. Even these consoles could do 2k or 4K people will still find shit to complain about..... It's just how some of you people are. Complain about shit when you're not the one making it. Why don't some of you go try to make a game and make it the way you would like to play it..... But then again even after that you'd still probably complain about your own shit!

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

A lot of you PC people kill me, you all make it out like Xbox One and PS4 are weaker than the 360 and PS3. So dramatic.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

The lems just want this Gen to end fast because it's embarrassing how they got owned before Gen even started lol.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

i think this gen may actually stretch out longer than I initally thought simply due to the cost of development.

the more powerful the hardware, the more it costs to make it sing. i think the slow start of this gen is a symptom of this problem and if new consoles release too soon its only going to get worse.

the biggest bottleneck in the industry now is money, not hardware. if you think the nickle and diming is bad now you haven't seen anything yet.

as i mentioned in another thread...i think it would be better for nintendo to get a new console out that is up to speed (though the effect would probably be negligable for 3rd parties) and for sony and MS to stay where they are for another 3-4 years at least. a new console gen is always painful and this transiton has been particularly nasty.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@kratosyoloswag said:

Lems giving up.

@Shewgenja said:

So, let me get this straight.

You were told from the very beginning that "We did not target graphics"

then, some of ya'll turned around and got downright salty as hell any time the resolution wars came up

Then, it turned into a hate-fest for PS4 fans because then you told the world that graphics is literally all they cared about because you had a CPU advantage and 3-5fps higher in a few games despite shite resolutions.

AND NOW, you think Gen8 should be shorter because you put money on the wrong horse and want to say everything is terrible.. BECAUSE OF GRAPHICS?

The sheer cuntiness of this thread and the chorus of Lems joining in this charade is >9,000

Pretty much. Think we're seeing the effects of being dead last from lems at this point. You could also include the Wii U in that but with their NX right around it sorta nullifies it.

OP is a huge lem and anti-sony poster as well which makes this topic even more hilarious.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

iunno maybe b/c ppl tend to use their phone everyday?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

MS is gonna want to keep the gen short, Sony long. Interesting dynamic. Next year Pascal will release. Perhaps this gen will be shorter than the last.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

A lot of you PC people kill me, you all make it out like Xbox One and PS4 are weaker than the 360 and PS3. So dramatic.

performance ratio wise compared to 2005 yes they are.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Four is. 8th gen isn't even a proper 1 gen jump as usual.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@DressYouUp said:
@tormentos said:
@DressYouUp said:

Different standards.

Not really, the Xbox 360 released with a triple-core processor which was fairly advanced for 2005.

None of that hardware innovation this gen, just a weak-as-piss laptop CPU which struggles to play Assassin's Creed.

And the X1 struggling even more in different multiplats

lol 900p

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shewgenja

Thread is proof that sales matter. No way in hell OP would have posted this if XBOX was manhandled NPD like it usually does during the holidays.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Yes. This gen is truly pathetic for the XB1 and PS4 hardware wise. I guess if you're into cartoon girls that look and act like 10 year olds this is a great time.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

the graphical disparity of consoles vs PC should NOT be the deciding factor in the length of a gen.

The PS4 and XBone have only just began to get a passable amount of notable software. It was a pathetic gen before that, and anyone who cared about actual games would have to give the nod to the WiiU up to that point. So let the PS4 and XBone get a full gen of software, and the starting point is basically autumn of 2015.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

Yes it was top quite easy by 2006 GPU like the 7900,1900XT and latter the 8800 series.

In fact back then most games were GPU bound not CPU bound,you could play Oblivion on PC on 1600x900 while the 360 version wasn't even full 720p.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

The PS4 can't even run most games at 60fps. lol

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

The PS4 and the XB1 can keep going till at least 2018/19. This gen may not be as memorable as the last two or three gens, but I'm fine with a stop-gap gen as long as it keeps giving us good games the way this year has and next year will.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@TheEroica said:

It's tough to argue for a new generation when there aren't any innovations as of yet in the present one.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@04dcarraher: I'm not denying that.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Flyincloud1116

@TheEroica said:

New hardware isn't going to change that.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DressYouUp

@MonsieurX said:
@DressYouUp said:
@tormentos said:
@DressYouUp said:

Different standards.

And the X1 struggling even more in different multiplats

lol 900p

Like Star Wars, Battlefield and Assassin's Creed on the PS4. Bye.