First Thief reviews, not looking good

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IgGy621985 (5218 posts) -

Arstehnica:

The good

Garrett's new duck-and-swoop move is pretty slick.

Decent interface for stealth manuevers.

The Bad

The plot is an incoherent mess.

Seriously, the ending didn't make a lick of sense.

Hackneyed writing and wooden performances.

Level design is much too linear.

Guards are too sensitive to your every movement.

Guard AI is easy to outrun and easier to fool.

Lots of badly done, out-of-place platforming and puzzle bits.

PC Gamer

Great in places, but never quite lives up to its potential. A competent sequel let down by inconsistency.

CVG

+ Stealth mechanic works well; mistakes are your own.

+ Sandbox level design complements stealth

- Exploration is on-the-rails and at odds with the action.

- The 'goat maze'. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

RPS

It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights.

GameSpot

Chech out by yourself

--------------

Did you pre-order your copy and will you cancel it now?

#2 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3398 posts) -

Had no expectations anyways

I'll pick it up on steam when it's on sale for 2.99.

#3 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3186 posts) -

IGN gave 6.8/10

CRAP GAME IS CRAP

#4 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3902 posts) -

Great scores. Game looks amazing.

#5 Edited by Harisemo (4133 posts) -

7.5 on gametrailers. Their review sounded a bit more positive than others. Will get the game when the price falls below £20, price drop shouldn't be too long given the mediocre reviews. PS4 version apparently has worse frame rate than Xbone, DigitalFoundry should help be decide which version to get.

#6 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10587 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

Had no expectations anyways

I'll pick it up on steam when it's on sale for 2.99.

Same. How could they have butchered this franchise? How could it happen to THIEF OF ALL GAMES? As usual - Dark Shadows was criticized to hell and back upon its release and now it is a MASTERPIECE OF ALL TIME compared to this. Always happen in a lot of PC-centric franchises that are being watered down with each subsequent iteration.

#7 Posted by jhonMalcovich (5589 posts) -

I am glad I dind't pre-order. Finally I have learnt my lesson.

#8 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

This was coming,a lot of early press and forum users noticed how much of a downgrade it was

#9 Posted by cainetao11 (20806 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Great scores. Game looks amazing.

LOL, I was gonna say same thing!!!! Was maybe going to get this, tomorrow. I'll wait now.

#10 Edited by AcidTango (824 posts) -

With Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and now this new Thief game, it seems that Square Enix is becoming more of a joke this year. Who knows they may end up beating EA as the most hated video game company this time lol

#11 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

Doesn't change much for me, still can't wait to play it on friday.

Surprised by how high PC gamer rated the game, they never seemed to like it in their previews :P

#12 Posted by aroxx_ab (11137 posts) -

Will keep my pre-order i need something new to play until Infamous and Diablo 3 expansion

#13 Posted by jake44 (2066 posts) -

I'm still going to keep my preorder. Should still be fun for what it is.

#14 Posted by IamAdorable (407 posts) -

That duck-and-move action sounds promising :p

#15 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

This sucks cause I was interested in this game. But the overall "meh" reviews have sold me on not buying this game. A pity.

#16 Posted by sukraj (24425 posts) -

I think as gamers everyone should make up there own mind if the game is worth playing don't let review scores persuade u not to buy the game.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (48766 posts) -

I'll gamefly it for the Quad.

#18 Edited by jg4xchamp (52008 posts) -

The game has looked pretty lousy in previews for months.

#19 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

Lol! Bad pc series has always been bad. Herms love hyping garbage.

#20 Posted by Tlgersuperman (88 posts) -

Well, they should have taken more time on the game.

#21 Edited by Animal-Mother (27175 posts) -

Joystiq gave it a 4/5 starts. I'll see what giantbomb and a few of my other sources i browse for reviews give it and take it from there.

#22 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (10130 posts) -

LOL stealth games.

#23 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3902 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

LOL stealth games.

LOL simulation racers.

#24 Edited by Crossel777 (5821 posts) -

Was expecting this. I'm buying this game for £33 fully knowing that this game isn't that great. One simple reason really. I need a damn game to play on my PS4 lol.

#25 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6861 posts) -

And stupid hermits tried to convince me that Thief was the better stealth franchise than Metal Gear. HA HA HA!

10 > 6.8

Not only did MGS4 get 10 on GS and IGN, but IGN's given almost every main Metal Gear game 9.7 or HIGHER score.

Thief just can't touch Metal Gear

#26 Posted by piyush181 (25 posts) -

Already pre ordered ... Reviews dont matter now..:P Will play and decide for myself now..

#27 Posted by Speak_Low (1296 posts) -

TTFHBO (TheThiefFansHaveBeenOwned!)

#28 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

And stupid hermits tried to convince me that Thief was the better stealth franchise than Metal Gear. HA HA HA!

10 > 6.8

Not only did MGS4 get 10 on GS and IGN, but IGN's given almost every main Metal Gear game 9.7 or HIGHER score.

Thief: The Dark Project and Thief 2: The Metal Age is a deeper and more rewarding stealth experience than any of the Metal Gear games.

#29 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8230 posts) -

I am weirdly more interested in this game now than I was before it got all of those mediocre scores.

#30 Edited by lostrib (44568 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

10 > 6.8

What do hermits have to do with this? it's a multiplat

#31 Edited by lostrib (44568 posts) -

wow even IGN gave it mediocre scores, that's pretty bad

#32 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (10130 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

LOL stealth games.

LOL simulation racers.

LOL Call of Duty

#33 Posted by IgGy621985 (5218 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

10 > 6.8

So...

- PC gamers knew this reboot will be crap from the start
- the reboot is a multiplat
- but PC gamers somehow have something to do with these low scores

Fuck logic.

#34 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6861 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

10 > 6.8

Because hermits are the only ones who used to say Thief was better than Metal Gear.

#35 Posted by lostrib (44568 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

@lostrib said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

10 > 6.8

Because hermits are the only ones who used to say Thief was better than Metal Gear.

proof?

#36 Edited by jg4xchamp (52008 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Joystiq gave it a 4/5 starts. I'll see what giantbomb and a few of my other sources i browse for reviews give it and take it from there.

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro

"I still have a bit of Thief's final chapter to finish, but go ahead and mark my eventual review on the lower end of the scale. It sucks."

Also him and some british chick are ripping that game a new one on his AM show thing.

#37 Edited by Jankarcop (10864 posts) -

Consol'd. Like crysis2/3, bf3/4, quake4, and deusex2.

#39 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

10 > 6.8

So...

- PC gamers knew this reboot will be crap from the start

- the reboot is a multiplat

- but PC gamers somehow have something to do with these low scores

Fuck logic.

Yes, it's all PC gamers fault

#40 Posted by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

Ugh, was just watching TB's wtf of it, and the amount of show doors in the game is really pissing me off; it's a rarity when he can ever actually open a door! Fucking ridiculous.

#41 Posted by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@lostrib said:

wow even IGN gave it mediocre scores, that's pretty bad

To be fair, it was Dan Stapleton doing the review. He's always been far more critical of games than everyone else at IGN (especially dipshits like Greg Miller and Moriarty); I am glad he reviewed it, as he's the only person at IGN whose opinion I trust.

#42 Posted by Alcapello (1312 posts) -

Game looks like it woulda been good at the beginning of last gen. Time for devs to get with the time.

#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8230 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

@lostrib said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

10 > 6.8

I've heard plenty of consolites say Resident Evil is a good survival horror series, too.

#44 Edited by Cyberdot (3926 posts) -

Expected.

The game failed to impress me in the first place. Maybe I'll give it a go if it drops to £2 or less on Steam.

#45 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Wasn't expecting a whole lot from it anyway.

#46 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

Yeah, I had a bad feeling about this game. These reviews confirmed my worst suspicions. I cancelled my preorder four days ago to wait for the reviews, and here they are....and the game is an uninspired mediocrity. Oh well....

#47 Posted by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

Thanks TC. I was on the fence in buying this game at launch. I will now wait for a significant price drop before buying.

#48 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4325 posts) -

Reviews don't make my decisions!

I've had it pre ordered for months, I'm going to go ahead and keep it.

Looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

#49 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10587 posts) -

I'd consider buying it once it hits 30 bucks price tag or less.

#50 Edited by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Think I might cancel my preorder now, I already have Rayman Legends to play then Titanfall is dropping soon, this game looks like something that would be nice at $30-$20 but no $60.