FINAL ROUND: The Best RPG game Last Gen.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 8 months, 21 days ago

Poll: FINAL ROUND: The Best RPG game Last Gen. (136 votes)

Mass Effect 3 43%
Dark Souls 30%
Xenoblade 27%

The results of the second round with 100 votes are HERE. The top 3 have moved to the final round.

The FINAL 3 that got chosen before someone tries inflating are:

Mass Effect 3 at 28%

Dark Souls at 20%

Xenoblade at 15%

These are the communities top Rpgs, but only ONE will be the best

erpg of last gen.

#51 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6417 posts) -

Xenoblade is the only true RPG here. Well I guess I'm just oldschool....

#52 Edited by foxhound_fox (87839 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 is a great game.

It is not a RPG.

#53 Edited by foxhound_fox (87839 posts) -

Except you could wear the heaviest of armor and still fast roll making light-medium armor worthless,

Dark Wood Grain Ring was nerfed after the big summer update/DLC was released.

I don't think there is any heavy armor that works with it anymore.

#54 Edited by genius2365 (378 posts) -
@AdobeArtist said:
@genius2365 said:

@Jankarcop said:

You are telling me the RPG with the least RPG elements is winning best rpg of the whole gen?

This is why polls are useless. A third person shooter with a few skill points wins best RPG of the gen.....

While ME3 may have had the least RPG gameplay elements, it more than made up in the choices aspect. RPG's are more than stats and numbers. You decided the fate of entire races, characters, and an entire universe. If that doesn't count as ''Role-playing'', then what does?

By "elements" we really mean mechanics. And while mechanics alone don't define a genre (otherwise we'd be calling COD an RPG) stats and leveling do have a function in RPGs, in how we get that character growth and progression. One of the satisfying components to the game is starting out weak and feeling that sense of empowerment, when at first we struggle to fight wolves but can later tackle 16' knights and dragons.

But while so many people place great emphasis on the stats and leveling, it often gets overlooked that it's only one side of the coin. The other half being the players interaction with the world around him/her, and through this interaction defining their character as an extension of themselves and taking that direct involvement in the story. The essence of "role playing"

But in ME3's defense of its mechanics, it strikes me that most people confuse "diminishing" with "streamlining". And that's quite a difference. While it doesn't follow traditional formulas (such as attributes like STR, DEX, INT, or skills like lock picking and herbalism) the RPG genre in general shouldn't be limited to age old models.

The mechanics of ME are tailored around the context of its universe, and designed to work in an action game design (ARPG) and while being streamlined it still accomplishes the means of allowing the player to develop their character's growth. To examine this in a simple outline;

* skill differentiation in classes

* skill customization in trees, expanded in ME3 with the branching options (varying permutations)

* weapon and gear customization, mods (with increasing power tiers) for guns, configurable armor components

* non-linear story progression, missions (quests) tracked in a log

* NPC interaction (dialog and non-combat objectives)

+1 Game genres evolve. They don't have to stay in a classic formula to be an RPG

#55 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

It is not a RPG.

It is so an RPG.

#56 Edited by foxhound_fox (87839 posts) -
#57 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

Except you could wear the heaviest of armor and still fast roll making light-medium armor worthless,

Dark Wood Grain Ring was nerfed after the big summer update/DLC was released.

I don't think there is any heavy armor that works with it anymore.

It all works with it you just can't exploit it as bad.

#58 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

It is not a RPG.

It is so an RPG.

Mass Effect is an RPG

Mass Effect 2 is a hybrid RPG

Mass Effect 3 is a 3rd person shooter with RPG elements, calling it an RPG is like calling MW3 an RPG because it has levels.

#59 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6763 posts) -

Sad as shit that ME3 is leading.

#60 Posted by Evo_nine (1668 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@Evo_nine said:

Even with all its flaws, mass effect is the greatest trilogy in existence....perhaps only just behind starwars 456.

Mass effect 3 as a game was amazing.

I have the first one. Is it worth finishing to see what the 2nd and 3rd are like or just skip to the 2nd one?

I dunno depends on what impression the first one left on you.

I know after I played the first one I rushed out and bought 2 and 3 straight away because 1 left such a good impression on me.

The gameplay is much improved in 2 and 3, and while everyone says they hate 3's ending, its still a brilliant game.

#61 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It is not a RPG.

It is so an RPG.

http://youtu.be/45PdtGDGhac

The feeling of agency is not role-playing per se.

Why wouldn't it be role playing? Role playing is about the player defining their role, and world interaction is an integral part of that. it's the difference between merely controlling an avatar, and the player imparting themselves into the character, who becomes an extension of them self.

@Shielder7

I've agreed that stats and levels alone are not entirely what make an RPG (but still a factor of their own). But does COD have player driven story narrative? Is the means to interact with the world and its inhabitants, and make character defining choices found in those games?

People keep focusing on the combat (shooting) of ME series, but that alone does not sum up the gameplay experience. There's as much the interaction as the combat, and the story is only progressed through both elements, not one without the other.

#62 Posted by foxhound_fox (87839 posts) -

Why wouldn't it be role playing? Role playing is about the player defining their role, and world interaction is an integral part of that. it's the difference between merely controlling an avatar, and the player imparting themselves into the character, who becomes an extension of them self.

Wow, what a cop out answer. "defining their role" is so vague, you can apply it to any game that remotely involves choice. Which, if you watched the video I linked, could be as simple as giving the player the FEELING that they are making a choice about NOT doing something, and that "feeling of agency" defining their role.

Any video game under this kind of definition could be considered role-playing. It's too vague and too broad. The Mass Effect franchise are not role-playing games. There are points when big decisions are made, but they don't have any consequences. You just get a little bit of exposition either at the end of the conversation indicating a difference has been made, but no impact on the world has taken place, or you get something as big as an entire race being left to die, and no real explanation as to what happens after that, giving no reason for even making the choice.

It's RPG-lite. You get the ability to roll stats for combat, but you don't get the agency to actually change the world. The video I linked mentioned The Witcher 2 having two major different plot lines, that diverge near the beginning of the game. A major choice that affects the outcome of the story AND changes the world around the player? I haven't played it, but to me, that suggests a game much more oriented to a "player defining their role" than merely giving the player a "feeling of agency".

#63 Posted by iambatman7986 (394 posts) -

Xenoblade Chronicles. Not only the best rpg, but one of the best games of the generation imo. Close behind it is Demons Souls, amazing game.

I love how mass effect 3 is winning but the comments are all negative in regards to it.

#64 Posted by SimplyFatal (1062 posts) -

Lol at the selection, sorry. Where the bloody hell is The Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings? Sigh.

#65 Posted by blackace (20379 posts) -

I was wondering where Ni No Kuni and Path of Exile were as well.

#66 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Shielder7

I've agreed that stats and levels alone are not entirely what make an RPG (but still a factor of their own). But does COD have player driven story narrative? Is the means to interact with the world and its inhabitants, and make character defining choices found in those games?

No but arguably ME 3 doesn't either.

#67 Edited by Bigboi500 (29401 posts) -

No point to this thread.