Final nine hours left, predict what Zelda U will be like

• 86 results
#51 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@charizard1605:

Dammit!!! I knew my meeting would go too long. I missed it. What did you think?

Zelda looks stunning. And it looks shockingly progressive. If Nintendo follows through on its promises regarding this game, it will be a bona fide classic.

And if you meant their conference in general? Well, I think they flat out won E3.

#52 Posted by cainetao11 (20211 posts) -

Just watched the Zelda stuff. Looks beautiful!!! Oh man I am getting a WiiU again. I have to watch the whole digital thing now.

#53 Posted by starwolf474 (983 posts) -

I'm disappointed with the artstyle. Link looks like a girl.

I wanted it to be just like last year's tech demo. Why does Nintendo always tease us with an amazing tech demo with realistic graphics and then completely change it to cartoony graphics?

#54 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17575 posts) -

Looks fantastic, the artstyle chosen is really nice

#55 Posted by XboxStache (1132 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@charizard1605:

Dammit!!! I knew my meeting would go too long. I missed it. What did you think?

Zelda looks stunning. And it looks shockingly progressive. If Nintendo follows through on its promises regarding this game, it will be a bona fide classic.

And if you meant their conference in general? Well, I think they flat out won E3.

Yeah. Nintendo had the most exclusives. I liked Devil's Third, the LOZ games, Toad's treasure Hunt (sp?) and a good amount of the others. So glad I have a WiiU. :)

#56 Posted by DocSanchez (2610 posts) -

I've been calling for Nintendo to stop hiding behind their conventions. The zelda game they've promised looks to do that. I hope their is more than one hub town, i.e. places to discover. But it's certainly not the zelda I have been criticising as of late. Maybe he isn't wearing his familiar green because you can customise his outfit?

Either way, I'm interested in good open world games and think it looks pretty damn good.

#57 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2325 posts) -

I love the art style and it just looks beautiful.

#58 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19044 posts) -

Not bad ! Needs more co-op ! ;)

#59 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7848 posts) -

@starwolf474 said:

I wanted it to be just like last year's tech demo. Why does Nintendo always tease us with an amazing tech demo with realistic graphics and then completely change it to cartoony graphics?

I doubt they could have maintained that level of fidelity in an open world of this scope and scale on the Wii U. Even beyond the hardware limitations, it would take a ton of artists spending a lot of time to get the entire game up to snuff with the tech demo.

Luckily for me, I actually prefer this style. We get so many games trying to look realistic these days, so I always appreciate a highly stylized look. Visuals like these tend to age better anyways.

Not that I would have complained if they could have pulled off the tech demo style, that also looked great as well.

#60 Edited by LadyBlue (4064 posts) -

Not for a second did I thought it would have such scale.

I was 10/10 hyped, after how amazing SS turned out, but this is just mind blown.

#61 Posted by trugs26 (6138 posts) -

I was half right. It has bloom :P

I really like the look of this game. Can't wait to see more.

#62 Posted by Jag85 (5650 posts) -

@starwolf474 said:

I find the new art style much more impressive than the generic "realistic" art style of the tech demo. I'd much rather prefer the stylized look over the same old generic "realistic" look we see in most other games these days. And as gaming history has shown, the stylized look almost always ages better than the generic "realistic" look. People hated the cartoony look of The Wind Waker at the time, yet its graphics have aged better than the other 3D Zelda games of the N64 & GameCube generations.

#63 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@starwolf474 said:

That's because, according to what Aonuma hinted, that may even not be Link.

#64 Posted by Heil68 (48355 posts) -

Cell shaded kind of disappointed me.

#65 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Zelda is the only series in existence that people literally just obsess over the "art style" non stop.

This wasn't like super crazy like wind waker or anything. The open world and everything looked fantastic. Does it really need to look exactly like TP to make anyone happy? Jeez..

I thought it looked just amazing.

When Aonuma started saying "Well things started to get more difficult when we transitioned into 3D" I legit thought they were going to unveil a 2D Zelda. I almost had to be put on life support. But the reveal was fantastic IMO.. Looks like the world will be amazing to explore.. totally open world. Exactly what I wanted when it comes to gameplay, which is, ya know, what matters

#66 Posted by Daious (2082 posts) -

So was Nintendo secret megaton is that Link isn't the main character? Because the lead producer just turned my world upside down by hinting its not Link.

#67 Edited by lamprey263 (26123 posts) -

haha... mullet, link has a mullet, but surprising like nobody mentioned this, and to think people flipped out when Dante went emo

#68 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4396 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@starwolf474 said:

I find the new art style much more impressive than the generic "realistic" art style of the tech demo. I'd much rather prefer the stylized look over the same old generic "realistic" look we see in most other games these days. And as gaming history has shown, the stylized look almost always ages better than the generic "realistic" look. People hated the cartoony look of The Wind Waker at the time, yet its graphics have aged better than the other 3D Zelda games of the N64 & GameCube generations.

I don't think you can characterize Twilight Princess' art style as realistic, or trying to be realsitic. The characters are clearly not trying to look like real people. It's a different artstyle, one that's simply more dark and mysterious.

#69 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

haha... mullet, link has a mullet, but surprising like nobody mentioned this, and to think people flipped out when Dante went emo

That's not Link, yo

#70 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6434 posts) -

She's Zelda. Spread the word!

#71 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Its like Adventure Time with Finn and Fionna.

Its Lina

#72 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

Awesome Sauce?

What do I win?

#73 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22725 posts) -

My guess is Link is either really young or a grill

#74 Edited by lamprey263 (26123 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

That's not Link, yo

It's the protagonist, it's Link... or "Buttsex" or "Asshat" or "Pooface" or whatever people decide to call him considering Nintendo doesn't have a naming filter.

That's a lot of assumption people are making just because he doesn't have on his iconic green Link tunic and cap, remember not even Wind Waker or Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess started with Link wearing the traditional garb. And various games have had the ability to use different colored tunics. And as for feminine characteristics causing many to speculate it's a female protagonists... I'd be open to that idea, would be a nice twist on the tradition of the games, but I'm not going to jump the gun in assuming that just because there might be some feminine characteristics to the design. It is Japanese made game after all, they're big on that whole androgyny thing.

#75 Edited by MirkoS77 (8609 posts) -

Yea.

HELL YEA. Hopefully that's not a bullshot. Supposedly go anywhere you can see, even that volcano far off in the distance. Didn't Nintendo say this has been their biggest game yet budget-wise? I'm hyped though what does worry me is the pacing. That's by far my biggest problem with this franchise since OoT, and I hope they have a strong start and don't have Link awakening to go do mundane chores before getting to the fun.

#76 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

That's not Link, yo

It's the protagonist, it's Link... or "Buttsex" or "Asshat" or "Pooface" or whatever people decide to call him considering Nintendo doesn't have a naming filter.

That's a lot of assumption people are making just because he doesn't have on his iconic green Link tunic and cap, remember not even Wind Waker or Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess started with Link wearing the traditional garb. And various games have had the ability to use different colored tunics. And as for feminine characteristics causing many to speculate it's a female protagonists... I'd be open to that idea, would be a nice twist on the tradition of the games, but I'm not going to jump the gun in assuming that just because there might be some feminine characteristics to the design. It is Japanese made game after all, they're big on that whole androgyny thing.

No, Aonuma has pretty much said it's not Link.

#77 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26273 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

HELL YEA. Hopefully that's not a bullshot. Supposedly go anywhere you can see, even that volcano far off in the distance. Didn't Nintendo say this has been their biggest game yet budget-wise?

It would be pretty bad if that was a bullshot. Haven't seen any statements about this game having their largest budget yet but I do remember Iwata saying about a year ago something about them not being afraid to spend the money needed to get the tech/visuals they want.

#78 Edited by lamprey263 (26123 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

No, Aonuma has pretty much said it's not Link.

well, to be precise, he never really said either way, but I don't see why he'd even be ambiguous unless what you say is true

#79 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6434 posts) -

Just look clearly at the character. Ponytail, no sword or shield, Gerudo clothes, complexion, small boobs and the horse the character rides is not Epona. It all points out to be Zelda or another girl.

#80 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7848 posts) -

I believe Aonuma is pulling a Kojima troll on you guys.

Would be interesting if not though.

#81 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

I believe Aonuma is pulling a Kojima troll on you guys.

Would be interesting if not though.

I never asked you, what did you think of the Zelda reveal last night, then?

#82 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7848 posts) -

@charizard1605:

I'm impressed! More than I thought I could be for a new Zelda game. I love the art style so far and it looks like they're finally making some meaningful progression with the series. Can't wait to see more.

Right now this is my 2nd favorite thing to come from this years E3 behind the MGSV trailer and news.

Nintendos 1st party is on fire though. 3D World was excellent, MK8 is better than I thought Mario Kart could ever be and this new Zelda is showing so much promise.

#83 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@charizard1605:

I'm impressed! More than I thought I could be for a new Zelda game. I love the art style so far and it looks like they're finally making some meaningful progression with the series. Can't wait to see more.

Right now this is my 2nd favorite thing to come from this years E3 behind the MGSV trailer and news.

Nintendos 1st party is on fire though. 3D World was excellent, MK8 is better than I thought Mario Kart could ever be and this new Zelda is showing so much promise.

Yeah, after a lull in their output in the DS and Wii era (SMG/2 notwithstanding), Nintendo is back with the 3DS/Wii U

#84 Edited by AznbkdX (3650 posts) -

I'm just going to be completely honest here... I think this was literally the first time where I ever said holy shit out loud for a view of a game. Very very rare for me to say anything aside from a "oh cool", "wow", or "nice" and with an approving look on my face. The game has this meld of cel shaded and realistic going for it that complement really well with each other.

#85 Posted by bulby_g (1615 posts) -

Looking absolutely amazing, very hyped for this now! Actually prefer this look to the tech demo myself and it sounds like they are taking the series in an interesting direction.

#86 Posted by trugs26 (6138 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

HELL YEA. Hopefully that's not a bullshot. Supposedly go anywhere you can see, even that volcano far off in the distance. Didn't Nintendo say this has been their biggest game yet budget-wise? I'm hyped though what does worry me is the pacing. That's by far my biggest problem with this franchise since OoT, and I hope they have a strong start and don't have Link awakening to go do mundane chores before getting to the fun.

Surely not a bull-shot. They had it in motion. Sure it's a cut-scene, but they passed it off as using the in-game rendering engine. We'll see in due time anyway. Hopefully it maintains that quality in the final build.

#87 Posted by charizard1605 (62669 posts) -

@MirkoS77: It's not a bullshot, they showed that exact scene rendered in motion, in engine right after they showed this off. And I dunno if this is their largest budget ever, but Skyward Sword did have the largest development budget, staff, and period in Nintendo history, so it's reasonable to extrapolate that Nintendo does not mind spending money on this series, and that they'll probably go all out on this one too.