Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III News Coming at E3

#1 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

Link:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/31/news-on-final-fantasy-xv-and-kingdom-hearts-iii-coming-at-e3-square-enix-jrpg-fans-are-all-over-the-world/

Story:

Square Enix President and CEO Yosuke Matsuda is looking at the future, and today he gave some interesting information in an interview on the Japanese website Nikkei Trendy.

Matsuda-san talked about upcoming titles for this year like Final Fantasy Agito and Seiken Densetsu: Rise of MANA, defining them a good start for 2014. He also mentioned the good progress of the beta of Nosgoth and confirmed that a new Tomb Raider is in the works.

As for domestic development, he said that there’s remarkable confidence in Final Fantasy XVand and Kingdom Hearts 3. And while he can’t talk details at the moment, more will be shared in the future, like at E3.

Matsuda-san continued with a very interesting statement about the global appeal of JRPGs:

He mentioned that there are games like Bravely Default with solid JRPG elements made for the Japanese market that sold well worldwide. Although there are regional differences, and it wasn’t very visible until recently, Japanese RPG fans are spread all over the world. When the latest information is released in Japan, fans everywhere in the world can receive it instantly (you’re welcome, Matsuda-san). No matter if you’re in North America, Europe or South America, there’s no information gap.

According to Matsuda-san, if all those customers are summed up, they are a good number, and it looks less like a niche market. He believes that for games developed in the future, having powerful and rich stories that are very JRPG-like can create good results if they’re focused properly on the right target.

Matsuda-san also admitted that Square Enix may have been too focused on globalizing its target, losing focus on who they were making games for. He brought Hitman Absolution as an example for 2013. The game was created with the idea of having a wider appeal and gain popularity with new users, however the best part of the Hitman games is that they are solid hardcore games, and many fans were frustrated when focus on that was lost, causing Absolution to struggle with Sales.

The new AAA Hitman curently in development will be the result of learning that lesson, starting by targeting core fans again. Matsuda-san thinks that by following that direction the Development studio will be able to recreate the quality of the original games.

It’s definitely interesting to see that Square Enix is realizing that JRPGs can have a broader appeal than just the Japanese market, and even more exciting to hear that more will come. The recognition that going for an audience wider than cpre fans isn’t always the best path is definitely the cherry on top of a delicious cake.

Bring them on, Matsuda-san. My body is always ready for more.

----------

inb4 2017 release date for PS5+XBTwo+WiiWiiU

:P

Also worthy of mentioning that a new Hitman, Tomb Raider are indeed in the works (not sure if there was official confirmation on either before), so it's possible we get at least some cool trailers for these games at E3.

Opinions System Warriors? Are you excited for these games?

#2 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6117 posts) -

Awe no Phantasy Star?

#3 Edited by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

Awe no Phantasy Star?

Isn't that made by Sega though?

#4 Posted by finalstar2007 (24924 posts) -

FF15 better come out next year

#5 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

FF15 better come out next year

I'd pre-order that PS5 just in case brah XD

#6 Posted by yokofox33 (29345 posts) -

The news: Lightning will be a playable character in both games.

#7 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -

Jeez i just hope FFXV will come out late this year or next year

#8 Posted by OhSnapitz (18078 posts) -

..release date 2018.

#9 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2376 posts) -

They better show a lengthy gameplay section and not a 2 minute teaser or some other crap.

This thing has been in development since 2006 seriously....

#10 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

..release date 2018.

Dat sneak 1-up! XD

#11 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

So I guess we should start calling system wars, announcement wars because it just seems to be a battle of who can copy/paste generic news from gaming sites in here the fastest.

#12 Edited by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

@Gargus said:

So I guess we should start calling system wars, announcement wars because it just seems to be a battle of who can copy/paste generic news from gaming sites in here the fastest.

QQ moar.

#13 Posted by narutosup (1571 posts) -

Who's developing Kingdom Hearts III? I heard the original KH staff and all the FFXIII staff are all working on FFXV.

#14 Edited by Heil68 (43373 posts) -

..release date 2018.

I'm afraid that's going to be the case.

#15 Posted by locopatho (20172 posts) -

I adore Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I will cry so very much if III is a pile of crap like most latter day Squeenix stuff :(

#16 Edited by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

News will include a PC announcement for both titles, quote me on it.

#17 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

Who's developing Kingdom Hearts III? I heard the original KH staff and all the FFXIII staff are all working on FFXV.

If I'm not messing this up, I believe it's the Osaka studio that did KH:BbS (KH:3D too perhaps?), KH: 1.5 HD and is currently finishing KH: 2.5 HD. Though I'm not 100% sure on this...

#18 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28355 posts) -

wow....wow.....Jesus christ square enix are a bunch of f'ing morons.

""He mentioned that there are games like Bravely Default with solid JRPG elements made for the Japanese market that sold well worldwide. Although there are regional differences, and it wasn’t very visible until recently, Japanese RPG fans are spread all over the world. When the latest information is released in Japan, fans everywhere in the world can receive it instantly (you’re welcome, Matsuda-san). No matter if you’re in North America, Europe or South America, there’s no information gap.""

yes we just now have proof that jrpgs sell well outside of japan we'll forget the past 20 years of final fantasy or dragon quest or the myriad of other jrpg releases which did well in america...no bravely default is the proof, Jesus christ no wonder Square enix has been shit since ff7 they have idiots helming the company, I thought it was just because nomura is a closet S&M fan but its literally the whole company just filled with morons as to the reason why they've been either rererereleasing their games or producing shit after 4 years of development.

#19 Posted by Netret0120 (2025 posts) -

Release date September 2017.

A game that has been in development since 2006. The expectations are already ridiculously high that FF15 will almost certainly flop. KH3 looks great though.

#20 Edited by Ballroompirate (22540 posts) -

I've lost interest in FF15, but bring on the Kingdom Hearts 3 stuff!!

#21 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

2020 brah. FF15 first and then, only then, will KH3 enter full time production haha XD

#22 Edited by Ballroompirate (22540 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Ballroompirate said:

2020 brah. FF15 first and then, only then, will KH3 enter full time production haha XD

KH3 will be out before FF15 :P

I was excited for FF13 Versus...I mean FF15 a 6 years ago when it was announced but frak that. I'll probably end up getting it but not on day 1/tell I get a PS4.

:edit: meant to say FF13 versus

#23 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Ballroompirate said:

KH3 will be out before FF15 :P

I was excited for FF14 Versus...I mean FF15 a 6 years ago when it was announced but frak that. I'll probably end up getting it but not on day 1/tell I get a PS4.

I still remember the megaton announcement of 3 FF games in a single E3. So much for that lol XD

#24 Posted by Ballroompirate (22540 posts) -

@Desmonic: Wasn't that like FF13 versus, a psp FF game and a DS FF game?

#25 Edited by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

It was the regular FF13, FFVersus 13 and FF Agito(?) if I'm not mistaken. Megaton as f*ck. If only we knew back then..XD

#26 Posted by Ballroompirate (22540 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Ballroompirate said:

It was the regular FF13, FFVersus 13 and FF Agito(?) if I'm not mistaken. Megaton as f*ck. If only we knew back then..XD

If only I had a Tardis to go through time

#27 Posted by bobbetybob (19164 posts) -

Thank God, a character of such quality can't be constrained to just one generation of consoles.

#28 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

E3 might be the deal breaker for me if I might get a PS4 or not this summer.

#29 Posted by Desmonic (13370 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Thank God, a character of such quality can't be constrained to just one generation of consoles.

#30 Posted by Ballroompirate (22540 posts) -

I still can't get over that ridiculous run Lightning had in FF13-3

#31 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9473 posts) -

I hope they flop so bad that it bankrupts SE and everyone gets fired.

#32 Posted by santoron (7690 posts) -

And the news is:

Neither coming in 2014.

But here's some CGI trailers!

No further info.