FInal Fantasy XIV: ARR Turns Square's Fortunes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn's stronger-than-expected performance has helped Square-Enix back into expected profits, the firm's six-monthly financials have revealed.

FFXIV now has 1.5 million registered players, and a PS4 version is in production. It has exceeded Square-Enix's expectations, and the company now expects to make a 4.7bn yen operating profit for the period. Success in the Japanese arcades has also contributed to the upturn in Square-Enix's fortunes, following a rocky 2013 in which President Yoichi Wada stepped down after the fiscal year ended in a huge loss.

The year ahead for Square-Enix looks promising, with new Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman and Thief games in production. Following Tomb Raider's success earlier this year - it sold more than 3.5m copies, which nonetheless fell short of Square-Enix's hugely optimistic 5m projection - we can expect that Crystal Dynamics will have something to announce next year as well.

SOURCE

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is such a great game, I'm glad it was a success. The best MMO and Final Fantasy game in a while, IMO.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It's the best game they've made in over a decade! Just re-upped my subscription for 6 months :)

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

It's a good game until you reach the end content which is severely lacking.

You are basically grinding the same two dungeons over and over again for around 30 hours just to get your full lvl 70 gear.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Good for them. I am glad they are back on track. I was wondering if people were still playing the game. 1.5 million is a solid number.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Good maybe now they can afford fix the horrible server issues alot of people have been having. Setting up European servers in Europe would be a great start.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

i still gotta play it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#7 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

Surprisingly good.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

You are basically grinding the same two dungeons over and over again for around 30 hours just to get your full lvl 70 gear.

Most MMOs are like that at launch

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

@charizard1605: personally thought it was boring as hell. I love MMO's. I tried and tried to like it but compared to games like Rift and Guild Wars 2 it's just dull.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Interesting. It's still pretty recent though, and MMOs can die off quickly after a boom period. I'll wait and see if it retains a high userbase after the initial boom.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Do i need to pay a suscription? or is like Guild Wars 2? because if not...then i won't be playing it.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

You should have switched servers when it was still free. >_>

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Frozzik

@madsnakehhh: it's subscription but you get the 1st month free.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

If it wasint subscription based I would cehck it out.Games looks fun and I do enjoy the FF games. yes even the recent ones. Also pretty funny their biggest apology turned out good for them.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Frozzik

@finalfantasy94: it's worth a play, even for a month. I only did the free period, I was planning on subscribing but by the end of the month I was just bored to tears and was missing Guild Wars 2. Kinda feel I have to play when I subscribe, unlike GW2 where I can leave and return whenever I want

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

You know, this is the main reason why I've taken a break from MMOs. It seems like MMOs work hard on the "leveling up " aspect of the game. What this does is it gets a lot of new subscribers on board, which is fine...for that initial cash flow. But the real money comes from the long term influx of money, and the people who are gonna subscribe long term are the ones who will inevitably spend the majority of their time at the end game. I feel like MMOs should put more emphasis on creating a sprawling and enticing end game rather than early game. I'm not saying make a crappy early game, no, do a good job with it, but make the end game more expansive and spend more time on it.

It feels like most MMOs nowadays, you play through the early days get to the last level and realize there is pretty much nothing for u to do unless you have a group of 40 friends who are equally as invested in the game as you are and have a lot of free time so you can do massive raids. People like that are the minority, not the majority, hence why I personally just quit after I reach max level. Not much left for me to do unless I'm literally willing to put my entire life on hold and find 20+ people in a guild who are willing to do the same.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Good for them. They put some serious effort into ARR, and it's a lot of fun.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

I want to buy this game but I am reclusive does it force you to group or can I play by myself?