Final fantasy XIII Versus Lost odyssey

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="OmegaKierad"]

FFXIII definetly.

FF games have some of the best storylines ever and real good combat systems. Lost Odysey doesnt impress me as much as it is not doing anything new ith combat or how RPG'S are played. Im also ecited about White Knight Story and Blue Dragon.

FFXIII Battle system

Come on but this looks way better than Lost Odyssey

Adrian_Cloud

You do realize that isn't in-game, as where we have actual in game videos of Lost Odyssey on the internet to watch and judge.

That is in-game. :lol:

No, that's in-engine, not in-game. FFXIII hasn't been demo'ed in front of a live audience like Lost Odyssey has.

You realise a game trailer can be of gameplay? It doesn't have to be a demo.

True, but why automatically assume it's gameplay when it is FAR more likely that the developers simply scripted the events in the trailer to SIMULATE their PLANNED gameplay system? Especially since they were still well over a year away from launch?

"A collective gasp was heard in the audience when the movie went from what appeared to be pre-rendered footage to a full set of menus indicating that nearly everything we saw was made using the in-game engine." its usually fair to assume that when Square shows gameplay, thats usually how turns out. I mean its either turn-based or ATB gameplay. What they showed was plenty different from the CGI cut-scenes, and i've they have described the game mechanics over TGS and E3. Gameplay and in-engine graphics are one and the same.

That's not my point. My point is that you can't compare Lost Odyssey and FFXIII from a gameplay standpoint because neither game is in a state in which they can be compared. Yes, I'm sure that's eventually how gameplay will look for FFXIII, but then again, it may turn out that Square-Enix's design doesn't quite work and they have to slow down or speed up the pace of combat. Especially since it will be a party-based game, and we've only seen single-character battle for both games.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]
I much rather play White Knight Story than LO or FFXIII.

And for a second i thought you were talking about FFXIII VERSUS.
But why compare the two? They're not close to their release dates, and no one has even played FFXIII.

In terms of success than FF will be the clear winner. When it actually comes down to the final product, no one really knows which game will be better.
Adrian_Cloud
All I know is that Lost Odyssey is DEFINITELY getting the better pedigree of developers, writers, and artists. As long as the programmers can create a game that lives up to the quality of the designers' intentions, LO could be one of the best JRPGs ever.

I would agree, if it weren't such a basic turn based rpg. That is clearly of major FF iinfluence(its pretty obvious why lol). Its not pushing the genre, and its not doing anything surprising rpg wise. This game has a great staff, and i expect it to be a good game. Not putting my hopes too high for this game. I just expect it to deliver a great story and some satsifying gameplay. I'm just waiting till a little closer to the release to make my judgement.

Again, WHY assume that when the last footage we saw of this game is from a pre-alpha build that the designer himself said is less than 20% complete?

why assume that its pre-alpha? +the evidence for the FF influence is there, i'll show it right now "Hironobu Sakaguchi. Do you know what games he directed?

Because he SAID it was pre-alpha. And yes, I'm well aware of what games Sakaguchi's directed, and Square hasn't produced a single game to match his best since he left.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="OmegaKierad"]

FFXIII definetly.

FF games have some of the best storylines ever and real good combat systems. Lost Odysey doesnt impress me as much as it is not doing anything new ith combat or how RPG'S are played. Im also ecited about White Knight Story and Blue Dragon.

FFXIII Battle system

magus-21

You do realize that isn't in-game, as where we have actual in game videos of Lost Odyssey on the internet to watch and judge.

No, that's in-engine, not in-game. FFXIII hasn't been demo'ed in front of a live audience like Lost Odyssey has.

True, but why automatically assume it's gameplay when it is FAR more likely that the developers simply scripted the events in the trailer to SIMULATE their PLANNED gameplay system? Especially since they were still well over a year away from launch?

"A collective gasp was heard in the audience when the movie went from what appeared to be pre-rendered footage to a full set of menus indicating that nearly everything we saw was made using the in-game engine." its usually fair to assume that when Square shows gameplay, thats usually how turns out. I mean its either turn-based or ATB gameplay. What they showed was plenty different from the CGI cut-scenes, and i've they have described the game mechanics over TGS and E3. Gameplay and in-engine graphics are one and the same.

That's not my point. My point is that you can't compare Lost Odyssey and FFXIII from a gameplay standpoint because neither game is in a state in which they can be compared. Yes, I'm sure that's eventually how gameplay will look for FFXIII, but then again, it may turn out that Square-Enix's design doesn't quite work and they have to slow down or speed up the pace of combat. Especially since it will be a party-based game, and we've only seen single-character battle for both games.

Damn this is confusing......stop quoting this quote. Since were already quoting another quote. Its weird have 2 convos with one person. I answered the reason you can compare the games, in the other quote. But my point isn't thats exactly how FFXIII will play like. But it was just " hey , thats the game right now, and everything you see isn't CGI or some fancy FMV. Its gameplay on PS3."
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 magus-21

FFXIII is hardly into its development and its battle sytem looks far better

OmegaKierad

Check your logic there. Both games are barely into primary development, and already you're drawing conclusions based on a trailer and an unfinished demo.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

But why compare the two? They're not close to their release dates, and no one has even played FFXIII.

In terms of success than FF will be the clear winner. When it actually comes down to the final product, no one really knows which game will be better.
magus-21
All I know is that Lost Odyssey is DEFINITELY getting the better pedigree of developers, writers, and artists. As long as the programmers can create a game that lives up to the quality of the designers' intentions, LO could be one of the best JRPGs ever.

I would agree, if it weren't such a basic turn based rpg. That is clearly of major FF iinfluence(its pretty obvious why lol). Its not pushing the genre, and its not doing anything surprising rpg wise. This game has a great staff, and i expect it to be a good game. Not putting my hopes too high for this game. I just expect it to deliver a great story and some satsifying gameplay. I'm just waiting till a little closer to the release to make my judgement.

Again, WHY assume that when the last footage we saw of this game is from a pre-alpha build that the designer himself said is less than 20% complete?

why assume that its pre-alpha? +the evidence for the FF influence is there, i'll show it right now "Hironobu Sakaguchi. Do you know what games he directed?

Because he SAID it was pre-alpha. And yes, I'm well aware of what games Sakaguchi's directed, and Square hasn't produced a single game to match his best since he left.

From what i've read, the only thing he said is that its using the UE3 engine and that its coming out 2007.. The other thing, was it still pre-alpha at GDC. Beucase it looked the exact same. thats not fair to say, because he didn't direct the whole series. he didn't direct VII or X. Those are two of the greatest rpgs in existence.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"][QUOTE="OmegaKierad"]

FFXIII definetly.

FFXIII Battle system

Adrian_Cloud

Damn this is confusing......stop quoting this quote. Since were already quoting another quote. Its weird have 2 convos with one person. I answered the reason you can compare the games, in the other quote. But my point isn't thats exactly how FFXIII will play like. But it was just " hey , thats the game right now, and everything you see isn't CGI or some fancy FMV. Its gameplay on PS3."

I'll quote whatever quoted quote I want to quote, goddammit! :P And my point is that it's NOT the game right now. We don't know how the game is right now. It's a year-old trailer which was pre-scripted to simulate gameplay (IMO, since that's the easiest way to make a trailer). Even MORE to the point, Lost Odyssey is the LAST game that should be judged right now as inferior or superior to FFXIII based on gameplay, because we've seen absolutely NOTHING of Lost Odyssey's gameplay.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Adrian_Cloud
I've seen the lost Oddysey gameplay at www.gamevideos.com. I wouldn't be making such strong remarks if i haven't seen gameplay. I'm not saying its inferior, just that i rather have White knight Story than FFXIII or Lost Oddysey.
lilrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 lilrush
Member since 2005 • 1695 Posts
My favorite consoles are sony's, and yet i have never played a final fantasy......maybe I will this time around....
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

Adrian_Cloud

From what i've read, the only thing he said is that its using the UE3 engine and that its coming out 2007.. The other thing, was it still pre-alpha at GDC. Beucase it looked the exact same. thats not fair to say, because he didn't direct the whole series. he didn't direct VII or X. Those are two of the greatest rpgs in existence.

It was pre-alpha at TGS, not at GDC. Where was it shown at GDC? And :lol: at calling VII and X the best RPGs. Final Fantasy IV and VI are both considered to be far better than any of the new Final Fantasies. They had the best stories, FFVI had BY FAR the best characters (none of them are annoying or whiny, for one thing), the most epic scale, the most believable worlds, etc. Final Fantasy VI alone should be regarded as the gold standard of epic JRPGs. It's Lord of the Rings, while FFVII is Dungeons & Dragons and FFX is....blech.
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
[QUOTE="magus-21"]It was pre-alpha at TGS, not at GDC. Where was it shown at GDC? And :lol: at calling VII and X the best RPGs. Final Fantasy IV and VI are both considered to be far better than any of the new Final Fantasies. They had the best stories, FFVI had BY FAR the best characters (none of them are annoying or whiny, for one thing), the most epic scale, the most believable worlds, etc. Final Fantasy VI alone should be regarded as the gold standard of epic JRPGs. It's Lord of the Rings, while FFVII is Dungeons & Dragons and FFX is....blech.

bu bu bu bu but teh 3D :( don't bother magus, telling someone the oldschool RPGs are better is just talking to a wall :?
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Adrian_Cloud
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

magus-21

It was pre-alpha at TGS, not at GDC. Where was it shown at GDC? And :lol: at calling VII and X the best RPGs. Final Fantasy IV and VI are both considered to be far better than any of the new Final Fantasies. They had the best stories, FFVI had BY FAR the best characters (none of them are annoying or whiny, for one thing), the most epic scale, the most believable worlds, etc. Final Fantasy VI alone should be regarded as the gold standard of epic JRPGs. It's Lord of the Rings, while FFVII is Dungeons & Dragons and FFX is....blech.

Just my opinion. FFX was just the most fun i had with an rpg since wild arms. VII was just one of the most remomarable experiences i had on PS. I never played IV, and VI wasn't that much "fun" for me. I had tactics and VI, and i just couldn't play VI. for the newest trailer just check, www.gamevideos.com, i'm pretty sure its very recent.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

Adrian_Cloud

Just my opinion. FFX was just the most fun i had with an rpg since wild arms. VII was just one of the most remomarable experiences i had on PS. I never played IV, and VI wasn't that much "fun" for me. I had tactics and VI, and i just couldn't play VI. for the newest trailer just check, www.gamevideos.com, i'm pretty sure its very recent.

12.2006, and that's because that video is higher quality version of the TGS demo. So no, we haven't seen any new footage of Lost Odyssey.