Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VII

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (758 posts) 4 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VII (67 votes)

Final Fantasy VI 60%
Final Fantasy VII 40%

Can we end this once and for all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMWp1oLoA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52-4yk_BYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujtlsiqZ-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_sw0trdNc

#1 Edited by Suppaman100 (3573 posts) -

Played both and loved both.

But FF VII is the better one IMO.

It seems that it's popular now to bash FF VII because it is considered to be not only the best FF but the best RPG of all time by many. High trees catch a lot of wind.

In Japan, FF VI is also not considered to be the best FF by the way, that's why there almost no spin-offs of the game, whilst FF VII has a ton of spin offs.

#2 Edited by DarthaPerkinjan (758 posts) -

You have the people who didnt care much for VII so they feel the need to balance out all the love it gets with their hate. Its gotten to the point now where you have Gametrailers rating FFVII the 5th best Final Fantasy ever, behind Final Fantasy XII. Soon it may not even make the top 10 Final Fantasy lists.

Then theres the mostly bad spinoffs which hurt VII's legacy. Cloud is still portrayed as someone who has not gotten over Aerith's death in Advent Children when it was quite obvious he was a pretty happy camper by the end of the original game. But Nomura, with no Sakaguchi to check his hand, turned Cloud into a mega emo after the game in the spinoffs

#3 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12769 posts) -

There's only one answer to this.

#4 Edited by Netret0120 (1886 posts) -

FFVII for me.

#5 Posted by Suppaman100 (3573 posts) -

You have the people who didnt care much for VII so they feel the need to balance out all the love it gets with their hate. Its gotten to the point now where you have Gametrailers rating FFVII the 5th best Final Fantasy ever, behind Final Fantasy XII. Soon it may not even make the top 10 Final Fantasy lists.

Then theres the mostly bad spinoffs which hurt VII's legacy. Cloud is still portrayed as someone who has not gotten over Aerith's death in Advent Children when it was quite obvious he was a pretty happy camper by the end of the original game. But Nomura, with no Sakaguchi to check his hand, turned Cloud into a mega emo after the game in the spinoffs

Agree 100%.

But the GT list was pure comedy imo, but we all know why the did it,..views. They wanted to be controversial so they could get more views, people talking about it.

And like you said, all of those spin offs didn't help FF VII. But despite all of that, the legacy of FF VII is still strong and it's just the popular thing to do nowadays, to hate on FF VII.

#6 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2114 posts) -

FFVI easily

#7 Posted by blamix99 (1532 posts) -

VI of course

#8 Posted by hoplayletsplay (977 posts) -

FFVII > FFVI

6 is great and it doesn't do anything. I'd go as far to say that 6 has less flaws than 7. It also has a wonderful premise (a half deity and half human girl exploited by an evil villain) But other than that, I just don't have as much attachment to the world and characters than I do for 7. It doesn't have as much "oh slap" moment as 7 and npcs, towns and rest of the world just doesn't have as much personality as 7.

7 on the other hand is special. I remember it more so as an adventure rather than a game. It doesn't feel like any other game I've played before. It's a very imaginative game. The world is imaginative, the towns and npcs are imaginative, even the enemies are imaginative. Playing 7 just feels like you're dropped into another world. And the characters are very likable as well.

With that said, both games are great but 7 just gave me so much more special moments.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (86826 posts) -

#10 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (6851 posts) -

I need to play FFVI. I've been meaning to for a long time, but it's something that just keeps falling through the cracks.

#11 Posted by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

VI > VII

#12 Posted by Seabas989 (9944 posts) -

VI > VII easily.

But IX > all.

#13 Posted by LanceX2 (305 posts) -

I love all final fantasy before 13

7 vs 6 is a no brainer

FF 6 is THE BEST Final fantasy and second RPG to Chrono Trigger to me. I cared for all of the characters far more then 7. The story was beautiful and fantastic. Locke and Celes , Terra and Edgar. Cyans family, Shadows regret. Its too good. god I probably beat that game over 5 times.

Hell, the world gets destroyed. and frickin Kefka. That sinister bastard. Loved it

#14 Posted by jg4xchamp (46604 posts) -

#15 Posted by Seabas989 (9944 posts) -

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

But the GT list was pure comedy imo, but we all know why the did it,..views. They wanted to be controversial so they could get more views, people talking about it.

And like you said, all of those spin offs didn't help FF VII. But despite all of that, the legacy of FF VII is still strong and it's just the popular thing to do nowadays, to hate on FF VII.

Final Fantasy XII > Final Fantasy VII.

#16 Posted by Suppaman100 (3573 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

Sh*t > FF XII

#17 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16444 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7.

#18 Posted by Tqricardinho (340 posts) -

VII no doubt.

#19 Posted by Pray_to_me (2735 posts) -

6 is better and it always has been. The only people who like 7 better are the ones who never played 6 on snes.

But I'm not a hater though. I would say that 7 is tied for second best with FF4.

#20 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12769 posts) -

All that proves is it's the better version of VI.

VII haters will just have to deal with it.

#21 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28309 posts) -

VI is the better game.

VI represents the old square soft where they cut the fat in the editing room and gave us the best of the story.
VII represents square enix more where they throw every thing in, are obsessed with CGI cutscenes, and Sequels to already finished stories.

#22 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12769 posts) -

VI is the better game.

VI represents the old square soft where they cut the fat in the editing room and gave us the best of the story.

VII represents square enix more where they throw every thing in, are obsessed with CGI cutscenes, and Sequels to already finished stories.

Not at all.

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker er wut? Square Enix wasn't even a thing then? it was still Squaresoft....

#24 Posted by TheEroica (13011 posts) -

FF4 is still my favorite, but on topic, I'd rather play 6 than 7

#25 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12769 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@WilliamRLBaker er wut? Square Enix wasn't even a thing then? it was still Squaresoft....

William never knows what he's talking about.

#26 Edited by Krelian-co (9975 posts) -

VI is the better game.

squaresoft didn't merge with enix until 2003 by then they already released even ff x, but then again you are always clueless and a clown.

#27 Edited by Shewgenja (7921 posts) -

VI was the grand opus of the FF series. It had everything. It is the blueprint that all RPGs should aspire to and then for good measure, the bad guy actually wins and changes the scope of everything. Forget best Final Fantasy. It's one of the best games ever crafted. A standing testament to the art of game crafting.

#28 Edited by dethtrain (384 posts) -

6 definitely. Played it on the SNES and must have dumped an ungodly amount of hours into it.

#29 Edited by Gue1 (9094 posts) -

My Top 5 in order:

1. FF6

2. FF7

3. FF8

4. FF9

5. FF10 or FF12

And not much of a fan of FF1, 2, or 4 but I would still play them. 4 at least has a story, so I like it more than 1 and 2 while 3, 5 and 13 are definitely the worsts. 3 and 5 are just boring and extremely tedious to play (3 more so than 5) with absolutely nothing to tell while 13 is just a nonsensical mess of epic proportions that I hate with a passion. Hate the characters, hate the gameplay, hate the linear structure... I hate 13 and its sequels. I hate the fact that it exists because it annoys me to no end. I wish it had another name, so I didn't have to call it Final Fantasy and be part of this legendary series which Square-Enix are ruining/ruined.

#30 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6610 posts) -

Nope. FFVII is superior. Have you noticed how everyone compares every FF to FFVII? If that doesn't tell you that FFVII is the best FF I don't know what will.

This week it is VI vs VII, last week it was IX vs VII, two months ago it was X vs VII, then it was XII vs VII, then it was VIII vs VII and IV vs VII etc..

when you're at the top, everyone will try to bring you down. Problems of being a market leader..

#31 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34077 posts) -

FFVII was more fun gameplay wise, with the materia system and it's various minigames. It also had a more interesting world to explore I thought. FFVII did had a better story, but I still apprciate FFVII's, despite some of its silliness.

Overall I like FFVII more and it is my favorite in the franchise, though VI is easily my second favorite FF.

#32 Edited by blamix99 (1532 posts) -

VI VIII IX X XII beats VII for me, playing as a spiky hair super saiyan with a giant sword. then there's this girl Tifa that punches harder than a man. LOL..

#33 Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (758 posts) -
@blamix99 said:

VI VIII IX X XII beats VII for me, playing as a spiky hair super saiyan with a giant sword. then there's this girl Tifa that punches harder than a man. LOL..

Woah, when did a Super Saiyan stop being cool? At least VII has a main character for the player to latch onto, whereas VI has no main characters at all. Its a character mashup like XII. And Tifa is awesome. How rare is it for such great eye candy to not only have brains but also play a really important part in the story.

Everybody talks like Aerith's death is the emotional part of the game. How about Biggs Wedge and Jessie, Dyne, Red XIII's father, Corel's demise, Nibelheim's demise, Cloud's sickness and more? The game was brilliant from start to finish. Worthy of every bit of praise that it gets.

#34 Posted by Shewgenja (7921 posts) -

Nope. FFVII is superior. Have you noticed how everyone compares every FF to FFVII? If that doesn't tell you that FFVII is the best FF I don't know what will.

This week it is VI vs VII, last week it was IX vs VII, two months ago it was X vs VII, then it was XII vs VII, then it was VIII vs VII and IV vs VII etc..

when you're at the top, everyone will try to bring you down. Problems of being a market leader..

Always has to be that one person equating quantity to quality.

#35 Posted by blamix99 (1532 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

Woah, when did a Super Saiyan stop being cool? At least VII has a main character for the player to latch onto, whereas VI has no main characters at all. Its a character mashup like XII. And Tifa is awesome. How rare is it for such great eye candy to not only have brains but also play a really important part in the story.

Everybody talks like Aerith's death is the emotional part of the game. How about Biggs Wedge and Jessie, Dyne, Red XIII's father, Corel's demise, Nibelheim's demise, Cloud's sickness and more? The game was brilliant from start to finish. Worthy of every bit of praise that it gets.

sorry.. i enjoyed VII. but i enjoyed the others more

#36 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26156 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

fav female FF character.Lighting is second for me...yea I enjoy the 13 games who got a problem with this yo..

#37 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12769 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

fav female FF character.Lighting is second for me...yea I enjoy the 13 games who got a problem with this yo..

I do, but you said Tifa's your fave so you get a pass.

#38 Posted by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

VII ... Sephiroth....

#39 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6610 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

Always has to be that one person equating quantity to quality.

Nothing I said had anything to do with quantity or quality.

#40 Posted by superclocked (5812 posts) -

6 > 7

#41 Posted by Wiimotefan (4062 posts) -

VI for sure. I also thought VII was great, but VI is on another level.

#42 Edited by hoplayletsplay (977 posts) -

Unless I'm playing a different FFVI than most of you, I have no ideas why 6 is so much better than 7. Can you FFVI lovers elaborate on what exactly you liked about 6? With so much praises for 6, it can't simply be a coincidence but I just don't get it.

#43 Posted by anab0lic (271 posts) -

VI by a large margin.

More interesting + larger cast of playable characters that all had a good deal of depth to them.

Better story

Better music

Better villain Kefka > Sephiroph.

Ultros.

Better combat system, 4 in battle vs 3 + each character had unique combat abilitys.

Espers > materia.

Its graphics have aged better and felt they looked better during that era too tbh... dem polygon models LOL.

VII is still a great game and worth a play through, id rank IX higher than it also though.

#44 Posted by pelvist (4466 posts) -

Grew up playing all of the FF games until 10 because I didnt like it and 11 was an MMO which I wasnt interested in. I lost interest in the series since then and from what iv heard it isnt that good anyway.

FF7 was my favorite by a mile and I enjoyed 5 more than 6.

#45 Posted by hiphops_savior (7669 posts) -

FF7 as a game is overrated. The transition into 3d graphics is merely a continuation of the momentum Squaresoft gained starting in FF4.

It did change the industry, however, and marked Sony as the most dominant company in gaming today and the beginning of the end for Nintendo as a dominant force.

#46 Posted by Seabas989 (9944 posts) -

@Seabas989 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

Sh*t > FF XII

VII looks like sh*t and plays like sh*t and is written like sh*t.

At least XII had an interesting world (Ivalice).

#47 Posted by Suppaman100 (3573 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@Seabas989 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

Sh*t > FF XII

VII looks like sh*t and plays like sh*t and is written like sh*t.

At least XII had an interesting world (Ivalice).

Pls don't compare FF VII with that POS nobody likes.

Lol at you defending a wannabe FF game

#48 Edited by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII is bloated with obnoctious filler and side shit that is very tedious to do, prolonging the game at an average of 70 hours, which makes it a chore to complete if time is limited. Not to mention the load times, low battle framerate and summon animations, all of which combined make the random encounters a painfully frustrating slog to go through. Then there's the antique 3D graphics, which are an acquired taste to stomach. Despite my criticism, i still liked the game, and thought it was the best of the series (not a fan of this FF series in the first place). Until i played Final Fantasy VI.

Final Fantasy VI has none of these issues. The pacing is pretty much perfection, the random encounters never get frustrating thanks to the fact that they take less than a second to load and the battle system is extremely fast, slick 'n easy. The graphics are of a beautiful, detailed and lush 2D pixel art that are very appealing to the eye. The length is at a sweet spot of 30 - 35 hours, which makes completion easily achievable for anyone with a full time job like myself.

FFVII may have its legacy, which i respect. But Final Fantasy VI is simply a better, more enjoyable game to play now, and forever.

#49 Posted by DarthaPerkinjan (758 posts) -

I disagree that VI's visuals have aged well. Enemies are not animated in battle, they're just a static 2D sprite.

#50 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12769 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

Final Fantasy VII is bloated with obnoctious filler and side shit that is very tedious to do, prolonging the game at an average of 70 hours, which makes it a chore to complete if time is limited. Not to mention the load times, low battle framerate and summon animations, all of which combined make the random encounters a painfully frustrating slog to go through. Then there's the antique 3D graphics, which are an acquired taste to stomach. Despite my criticism, i still liked the game, and thought it was the best of the series (not a fan of this FF series in the first place). Until i played Final Fantasy VI.

Final Fantasy VI has none of these issues. The pacing is pretty much perfection, the random encounters never get frustrating thanks to the fact that they take less than a second to load and the battle system is extremely fast, slick 'n easy. The graphics are of a beautiful, detailed and lush 2D pixel art that are very appealing to the eye. The length is at a sweet spot of 30 - 35 hours, which makes completion easily achievable for anyone with a full time job like myself.

FFVII may have its legacy, which i respect. But Final Fantasy VI is simply a better, more enjoyable game to play now, and forever.

I enjoyed all the side shit, it helped fill out the main plot and further develop characters. Which FFVII has in spades, some of the greatest characters to ever grace the FF name.

That's great and all but it doesn't make it a lesser game than 6. VII still has among the best pacing in a game I've ever played, even with just dat first disk. By the time you get out of Shinra HQ and hit the world map for the first time I felt like I've already been through a bad ass journey.

And then you realize it's just beginning? Oh shit, My balls dropped right then and there.