Favorite MGS game? Also, come laugh at AmazonTreeBoa!

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Blabadon (26670 posts) -

I'm having this MGS3 kick recently and have been wanting to play it again, if only to judge its story.

I also want to play MGS2 again since it was the tits on the Vita. Really a solid fit for a handheld.

And then there's MGS4, which I'll pay one day when the cutscenes' lengths don't intimidate me so much.

So with MGSV's prologue out, what's your favorite Metal Gear Solid game?

#2 Posted by darkspineslayer (19817 posts) -

@Blabadon: Metal Gear Rising for the goddamn win.

Ok, playing by the rules, I do have to say that despite the terrible length, I was very impressed with how organic the new gameplay feels in Ground Zeroes, and if nothing else, got me terribly hyped for the full thing.

Baring that, MGS3.

#3 Posted by jg4xchamp (48403 posts) -

Snake Eater

#4 Edited by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

Snake Eater but I've never played Guns of the Patriots, Twin Snakes or Peace Walker.

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (47291 posts) -

I gotta go with the first one. Snake Eater was probably the better game but nothing touches the feeling I got that first run through of MGS. That game blew my mind.

#6 Posted by jg4xchamp (48403 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

I gotta go with the first one. Snake Eater was probably the better game but nothing touches the feeling I got that first run through of MGS. That game blew my mind.

Plus Metal Gear Awesome.

HURT ME SNAKE, HURT ME MORE DAWG!!

#7 Posted by Blabadon (26670 posts) -

@jg4xchamp: wut

#8 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It's still one of my top 5 favourite games of all time, in fact.

#9 Edited by Slashkice (13241 posts) -

MGS3 is the best, but I think all of the mainline games are excellent. Haven't played Ground Zeroes yet though.

#10 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1347 posts) -

MGS2 but haven't played 3.

#11 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (987 posts) -

MGS1 best OST and graphics.

listen to this haunting shit:

#12 Posted by jg4xchamp (48403 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

What wut?

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (47291 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@Blabadon said:

What wut?

He just dont know man

#14 Edited by jg4xchamp (48403 posts) -

How do you not know what the fuck Metal Gear Awesome is? while posting on the internet...and you're older than I am so this can't even be a champ's time thing.

Also: LMFAO, favorite part

Mantis: You're suppose to hit her

Snake: Damn right I'm gonna hit that!

#15 Posted by Kedisr (2 posts) -

METAL GEAR SOLID 4, that moment when Snake screams "LIQUID!!!!!" Was epic.

#16 Posted by silversix_ (14812 posts) -

#17 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (875 posts) -

2 is the best.

It's the craziest, has the best setting, and there is never a down moment.

#18 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

MGS1 on PC is best.

however series is extremely mediocre b movie with cheesy cutscenes and convulated story. its bad animu move.

#19 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

Ground Zeroes has the best gameplay in the series.

MGS1 remains my favorite story-wise.

#20 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Toss up between Mgs4 and Peacewalker.

#21 Edited by ominous_titan (733 posts) -

Snake eater I'll probably still mess with it ten years from now

#22 Posted by MirkoS77 (7633 posts) -

MGS (not Twin Snakes). The story actually made sense and wasn't filled with Kojima's ludicrousness and stupidity that began to invade the franchise from 2 onwards. I would absolutely KILL to see it remade using the Fox Engine and mechanics.

#23 Edited by Lucianu (9452 posts) -

I played MGS1, 2 and 3 for the first time a couple of years ago in a marathon of sorts, just to check the series out.

Out of these three, the first one is my favorite because of the simple, yet powerful story that is reminiscent of 80s action movies with a injection of crazy, memorable JP characters.

The balance between cutscenes and gameplay sections is also the best in the series, cutscenes are never to long, unlike the ridiculous length of them in the rest of the mainline entries. The gameplay has aged the best because it basically played as a top down 2D game with rare 3D sections, very simple controls.

3 felt bloated with filler gameplay elements and tech issues like framerate inconsistencies, not to mention the bad camera system. And i didn't enjoy the story in 2 as much as in 1, or Raiden.

#24 Posted by CTR360 (7116 posts) -

MGS4>>MGS3>>MGS1>>MGS2>>MGSPW for me

#25 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5674 posts) -

I'm always split between MGS2 and MGS3. Two of my all time favorite games right there.

Purely from a gameplay stand point, Ground Zeroes hands down.

#26 Edited by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

MGS1 best OST and graphics.

listen to this haunting shit:

*Nostalgiasm*

#27 Posted by HipHopBeats (2909 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

This. MGS 1 all the way but all that could change with Phantom Pain.

#28 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

I'd have to go with

1. MGS3
  2. MGS5 GZ
  3. MGS Peace Walker
  4. MGS4
  5. MGS1

I like Big Boss as a character/story a lot more than Solid Snake

#29 Posted by casharmy (6833 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It's still one of my top 5 favourite games of all time, in fact.

x2

#30 Edited by Lord_Omikron666 (4768 posts) -

Metal Gear Rising

#31 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5651 posts) -

Between MGS3:SE and MGS:TTS.

#32 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17976 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

MGS (not Twin Snakes). The story actually made sense and wasn't filled with Kojima's ludicrousness and stupidity that began to invade the franchise from 2 onwards. I would absolutely KILL to see it remade using the Fox Engine and mechanics.

@Lucianu said:

I played MGS1, 2 and 3 for the first time a couple of years ago in a marathon of sorts, just to check the series out.

Out of these three, the first one is my favorite because of the simple, yet powerful story that is reminiscent of 80s action movies with a injection of crazy, memorable JP characters.

The balance between cutscenes and gameplay sections is also the best in the series, cutscenes are never to long, unlike the ridiculous length of them in the rest of the mainline entries. The gameplay has aged the best because it basically played as a top down 2D game with rare 3D sections, very simple controls.

3 felt bloated with filler gameplay elements and tech issues like framerate inconsistencies, not to mention the bad camera system. And i didn't enjoy the story in 2 as much as in 1, or Raiden.

Both of you describe my opinion to the T

#33 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

Peace Walker.

Plain and simple. I loved the replayability of the missions, and the vehicle bosses.

#34 Edited by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

MGS1 on PC is best.

however series is extremely mediocre b movie with cheesy cutscenes and convulated story. its bad animu move.

MGS and "animu"? This makes no sense.

@Lucianu said:

Which version of 3 did you play? Snake Eater or Subsistence? Snake Eater uses a top-down view, while Subsistence uses a third-person view.

#35 Posted by BattleSpectre (6252 posts) -

Only one I've played, MGS4. Can't wait for Phantom Pain.

#36 Posted by Gue1 (10223 posts) -

MGS3 is my fav.

#37 Posted by happyduds77 (1488 posts) -

MGS4 I enjoyed the gameplay even though it was subpar at best. I could care less about the story and characters.

#38 Posted by freedomfreak (41035 posts) -
@jg4xchamp said:

Plus Metal Gear Awesome.

HURT ME SNAKE, HURT ME MORE DAWG!!

I'M SO FUCKING CRAZY!

But yes, Snake Eater.

#39 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

@Blabadon: Peace Walker.

#40 Posted by Roler42 (770 posts) -

MGS3 was my favourite, but then I played Peace Walker and it bumped MGS3 to second place

#41 Posted by Lucianu (9452 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@Lucianu said:

Which version of 3 did you play? Snake Eater or Subsistence? Snake Eater uses a top-down view, while Subsistence uses a third-person view.

Snake Eater, yeah it's top down, but it felt more limited and i don't think it was suited for its level design, not to mention what a vital element the radar was in the first two MGS games that used this camera perspective. I don't have Subsistence.

#42 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@Jag85 said:

@Lucianu said:

Snake Eater, yeah it's top down, but it felt more limited and i don't think it was suited for its level design, not to mention what a vital element the radar was in the first two MGS games that used this camera perspective. I don't have Subsistence.

Okay, that explains it then. Subsistence uses an improved third-person camera, so you might want to give that version a try some time.

#43 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26921 posts) -

MGS3. MGS2 was my least favorite.

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (88791 posts) -

Out of MGS, Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater I find it very difficult to say. All of them have their reasons for why I love them.

I did not like MGS4. It was great fan service. But that was about it. The story ruined the world, the gameplay was grossly underused and felt incredibly rushed (you jumped from area to area faster than some of the cutscenes were long) and overall the game just reeked of "design by committee". There was no focus like in the first three games. There was no overarching theme.

I really need to get the PS3 Legendary Edition, I need to replay them.

#45 Posted by j_assassin (912 posts) -

hard to choose, maybe mgs3 by a small lead, I wish I can remember the whole story of mgs1 but played it long long time ago when I was a kid

#46 Posted by Link3301 (1707 posts) -

MGS3 Subsistence easily.

#47 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

I like Big Boss as a character/story a lot more than Solid Snake

Same here.

Metal Gear Solid 3 for me. I've played through that damn game well over 20 times.

#48 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

Definitely MGS2, even though I hated playing as Raiden.

#49 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Why do people not make polls?

#50 Posted by bobbetybob (19292 posts) -

MGS3>MGS>MGS2>MGS4

Didn't enjoy 2 or 4, barely played more than 2 hours of them. The story just didn't grab me in either one, the tone felt too weird and inconsistent. How do you go from "WAR NEVER CHANGES" to an arms dealer with a fucking monkey for a sidekick in an hour?