Favorite console war gen (in your opinion)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Favorite console war gen (in your opinion)? (60 votes)

Gen 8 - (PS4/Wii-U/Xbox One) ... so far 8%
Gen 7 - (PS3/Wii/X360) 25%
Gen 6 - (PS2/GCN/Xbox/D-cast) 27%
Gen 5 - (PS1/N64/Saturn) 3%
Gen 4 - (SNES/Genesis) 37%

I'll personally rank them purely by how interested I was in them competing against each other.

Gen-4 is a classic for sure; insanely competitive. Imagine if internet existed back then. It was the first real console war, and the first love is the deepest.

Gen-5 ; I really didn't see the sparks coming. PS1 won in sales. N64 won in respect. Both consoles sought out to do different things and their fanbases felt isolated, yet no real need to compete either. And Sega sucked.

Gen-6 ; The sparks came back a bit because there were three strong competitors. Even though PS2 won with ease, Microsoft entered strong with Halo/XboxLive and Gamecube had a lot of great exclusives. Perhaps it was a boring gen because PS2 won all the way, but it just felt like the consoles were meant to be enjoyed together.

Gen-7 ; Perhaps the most spicy console war since Gen-4. Xbox made a comeback due to PS3's awful launch, but PS3 caught up neck-to-neck. Nintendo's Wii sold a ton, but also polarized people with the casual vs. hardcore questions. Many expectations were subverted for sure.

Gen-8 ** ; Maybe it's me getting to old for this but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of action. Sony has been maintaining a nervous lead ; Microsoft is biting at Sony's heels after recovering from a huge blunder. Things are slow so far. Nintendo lost their competitive bite, though I still enjoy the Wii-U. Who knows what will happen.

So, to rank them in terms of how interesting they were:

4 > 7 > 6 > 8* > 5

• 
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

gen 7 because it's when I really went deep.

TuuPumpChump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 TuuPumpChump
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

Id say 7 and 8. Just cuz I've been apart of it, just seems like with 8 is more people care about bashing other systems than playing their damn games. Let me enjoy my one and you enjoy your ps4.

Agree with gen 4 though. I still defend my genesis, lol

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@Gue1 said:

gen 7 because it's when I really went deep.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#4  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

4th gen for me. Megadrive vs Snes vs Turbografx 16 vs Neo Geo vs Amiga 500 vs PC was epic! Loved last gen too.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Generation 4, of course. It was left to the magazines and their comment sections to fuel the rivalry. Actually, the Genesis came out during the time of the NES. The Genesis lorded it over the NES until the SNES came out much much later if I remember it correctly.

During the same timeframe, Amiga zealots were badmouthing just about every other computer platform out there. If they were here now, they would've been banned immediately from sites such as GS. It sucked having to share the platform with them. But, by 1991, I knew it was time to jump ship.

That timeframe wasn't as ancient or devoid of tech as some people think. On the computer side, BBSes were widespread with forums in the form of portals. Gaming multiplayer was commonplace in the form of modem play although it was usually 1v1. Heck, there was even for-pay online gaming such as Air Warrior. The only difference was there were no disruptive kiddies and teens to ruin the fun. Computers were ridiculously expensive back then which put them out of reach for certain age groups.....cept the Amiga. The correlation is there.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Gen 7

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Gen 4 will always be remembered as "Sega does what nintendon't".

Gen 7 was the best! It was freaking hilarious every day while SW's was extremely popular! There was never a dull day, and it had some of the funniest trolls ever.

Gen 8 is balls so far, pretty much a joke at this point. Just a bunch of annoying zealots arguing over their "opinions" about resolution lol.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Genesis does what Nintendon't. Nintendo and Sega were just going all out, and that produced an incredible generation. Both libraries were complete opposites. One focused on platformers and RPGs, wile the other focused on action side scrollers and shmups.

Every other 'war' felt bland as ****. PS1 mopped the floor, PS2 mopped the universe, the 7th gen was like a small dispute between twins wile Nintendo left the park and went swimming in their 'blue ocean'.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

This thread proves just how stupid the gaming community is.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

This thread proves just how stupid the gaming community is.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I think a lot of this is biased toward the time period we gamed in, as well as our age.

I'm going to suspect that many people in here, like me, are ages 20 to 25. College age, where there is lots of free time to post about games. Gen 7 started when we were teenagers. The point where we were old enough to be observant about things, but young enough to still be impressionable.

I agree Gen-7 impacted me the most, but I have to be objective about things and say that Gen-4 was just a total monster.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Don't remember the days of gen 4 well enough. Gens 5, 6 and 8 were/are much too one-sided. Gen 7 was fun, every nerd faction had something going for them.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I dont like war, but some generations was more fun that other when look at the games

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I'll say gen 6... Mainly because I was one of the only few people that bought an Xbox when it first came out, and all of my friends laughed at me because they all had PS2s. I was constantly defending my purchase. I showed them KOTOR and Halo etc, and they said "meh".

Funny thing is all of them ended up buying one. Idiots!

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Last gen because of the parity.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Last gen.

There was good fanboys, good discussions and good (no epic) goofs by everyone.

This gen is boring. Stupid fanboys that don't try. Companies just keeping to themselves and the status quo. And no good discussions at all.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

4 was fun, and the "Nintendon't" commercials were classic, but 7 was the greatest console war so far.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Gen 6, the midsize developers made the best games.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Gen 4, it was when Nintendo competitive spirit was at it's peak and what really made them one top quality game company that they are remembered for today.

That gen was when Big-N put out one AAA game after another and Genesis was constantly challenging them and making original high quality games of their own to claim to be the best game company.

That was a gen of nothing but TRUE competition and gamers won big time, none of this phony DLC, money grubbing, buggy, unfinished, rehash garbage that is going on today. Each system had games that truly warranted everyone to try or play I miss the spirit of that gen where it was just about which company could make the best game/s.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

None. System wars is retarded.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Gen 4 with the Genesis vs SNES was classic. The first "real" console war.

But I gotta go with gen 7. The $600 PS3 and "teh cell" was almost the kiss of death for the then haughty Sony, and we saw the rise of the 360 but it had a fail rate of something like 1/3 to 1/2 thanks to RROD. PS3 came back with a vengeance though.

Gen 8 is interesting with the PS4 and X1 not even trying to be the same like it was gen 7. We got a long way to go with this gen.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

SNES/Genisis

I wasn't a gamer at that time but even I knew how competitive Gensis and SNES were.

PS3 vs Xbox 360

I went really deep

PS1 vs N64

Very competitive. Equally amazing systems with amazing games.

PS2 vs Xbox vs Game Cube

No competition here PS2 dominated

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I only started getting into it last gen, so that, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Definitely Generation 4. Both Genesis and SNES having the most strong 3rd party support, Strong exclusives on each platform that actually gave them an IDENTITY.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

4th gen for sure. 7th gen was also good because of the Internet, it does wonders for the console war.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

lol kids these days, back in the good ol days ie. gen2/3, we never talked shit in forums or youtube comments we would have fist fights in the back street. i remember getting my teeth knocked out because i said sonic>>mario. gaming, has changed.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

this gen cuz I like how once a company gets screwed it can react and fix the issue making the other side of fans angry haha. Like Microsoft now, they are giving extra roms for developers to benefit from rather than making Kinect mandatory taking the remaining roms. That was fixed lately and we might see identical graphics between PS4 X1 and it would all come down to exclusives. Isn't this exciting or what? Better than watching World Cup, UFC, or movies for me

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

lol kids these days, back in the good ol days ie. gen2/3, we never talked shit in forums or youtube comments we would have fist fights in the back street. i remember getting my teeth knocked out because i said sonic>>mario. gaming, has changed.

and you want me to believe that a bully that was so much into games that time would care enough to punch a nerd in the face for Sonic>Mario opinion? Get real that didn't happen. You know that only nerds used to game back then. Bullies used to show how cool they are and isolate their selves from nerds' activities which is gaming. And even if you tell me it was a nerd who punched in the face, I wouldn't believe that neither lol

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Gen 6 without a doubt

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I only cared for the console wars when each system had its own identity, and people actually discussed games rather than just resolutions.

So I guess Generation 6 and before were the only ones I cared about, if you could say I cared at all. I've never been a fanboy of any specific console.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@fgjnfgh said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

and you want me to believe that a bully that was so much into games that time would care enough to punch a nerd in the face for Sonic>Mario opinion? Get real that didn't happen. You know that only nerds used to game back then. Bullies used to show how cool they are and isolate their selves from nerds' activities which is gaming. And even if you tell me it was a nerd who punched in the face, I wouldn't believe that neither lol

hmm i remember saying 'sonic is so much better than mario its not even funny, also your mum is a whore', and then BAM shit got real. he was a big mario fan

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Mega Drive/SNES/Amiga was probably the most interesting as each were very different systems and the race was close

PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast/XBox was the worst I lived through by far, that war was totally won by hype, marketing, brand name etc etc. Everybody knew deep down that the PS2 has already won the "war" sometime in 2001, GameCube and XBox weren't even out yet and people were saying it was over, and they were right.

NES/Master System/C64 was actually pretty cool here in Britain, I'd imagine it was crappy in the US though as NES had a monopoly by the late 80s. Here there was a lot of arguing and such.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Gen 5 of course. The PS1 vs. N64 battle in the games department was simply amazing. The existance of a Sega console back then also counts in it's favor (the Saturn's library was pretty good).

Gen 4 is the close 2nd. Gen 3 "saved" the industry, but it was in Gen 4 that it really flourished through market competition.

Gen 7 is the worst for me: it had great games, and a neck to neck competition, but it was the generation were multiplats began to define gaming and systems began losing their identity.