Favorite console war gen (in your opinion)?

Posted by drekula2 (2968 posts) 10 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Favorite console war gen (in your opinion)? (60 votes)

Gen 8 - (PS4/Wii-U/Xbox One) ... so far 8%
Gen 7 - (PS3/Wii/X360) 25%
Gen 6 - (PS2/GCN/Xbox/D-cast) 27%
Gen 5 - (PS1/N64/Saturn) 3%
Gen 4 - (SNES/Genesis) 37%

I'll personally rank them purely by how interested I was in them competing against each other.

Gen-4 is a classic for sure; insanely competitive. Imagine if internet existed back then. It was the first real console war, and the first love is the deepest.

Gen-5 ; I really didn't see the sparks coming. PS1 won in sales. N64 won in respect. Both consoles sought out to do different things and their fanbases felt isolated, yet no real need to compete either. And Sega sucked.

Gen-6 ; The sparks came back a bit because there were three strong competitors. Even though PS2 won with ease, Microsoft entered strong with Halo/XboxLive and Gamecube had a lot of great exclusives. Perhaps it was a boring gen because PS2 won all the way, but it just felt like the consoles were meant to be enjoyed together.

Gen-7 ; Perhaps the most spicy console war since Gen-4. Xbox made a comeback due to PS3's awful launch, but PS3 caught up neck-to-neck. Nintendo's Wii sold a ton, but also polarized people with the casual vs. hardcore questions. Many expectations were subverted for sure.

Gen-8 ** ; Maybe it's me getting to old for this but it doesn't seem like there's a ton of action. Sony has been maintaining a nervous lead ; Microsoft is biting at Sony's heels after recovering from a huge blunder. Things are slow so far. Nintendo lost their competitive bite, though I still enjoy the Wii-U. Who knows what will happen.

So, to rank them in terms of how interesting they were:

4 > 7 > 6 > 8* > 5

#1 Posted by Gue1 (11388 posts) -

gen 7 because it's when I really went deep.

#2 Posted by TuuPumpChump (99 posts) -

Id say 7 and 8. Just cuz I've been apart of it, just seems like with 8 is more people care about bashing other systems than playing their damn games. Let me enjoy my one and you enjoy your ps4.

Agree with gen 4 though. I still defend my genesis, lol

#3 Posted by blamix99 (2575 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

gen 7 because it's when I really went deep.

#4 Edited by PAL360 (27300 posts) -

4th gen for me. Megadrive vs Snes vs Turbografx 16 vs Neo Geo vs Amiga 500 vs PC was epic! Loved last gen too.

#5 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17541 posts) -

Generation 4, of course. It was left to the magazines and their comment sections to fuel the rivalry. Actually, the Genesis came out during the time of the NES. The Genesis lorded it over the NES until the SNES came out much much later if I remember it correctly.

During the same timeframe, Amiga zealots were badmouthing just about every other computer platform out there. If they were here now, they would've been banned immediately from sites such as GS. It sucked having to share the platform with them. But, by 1991, I knew it was time to jump ship.

That timeframe wasn't as ancient or devoid of tech as some people think. On the computer side, BBSes were widespread with forums in the form of portals. Gaming multiplayer was commonplace in the form of modem play although it was usually 1v1. Heck, there was even for-pay online gaming such as Air Warrior. The only difference was there were no disruptive kiddies and teens to ruin the fun. Computers were ridiculously expensive back then which put them out of reach for certain age groups.....cept the Amiga. The correlation is there.

#6 Posted by Basinboy (11407 posts) -

Gen 7

#7 Edited by remiks00 (2513 posts) -

Gen 4 will always be remembered as "Sega does what nintendon't".

Gen 7 was the best! It was freaking hilarious every day while SW's was extremely popular! There was never a dull day, and it had some of the funniest trolls ever.

Gen 8 is balls so far, pretty much a joke at this point. Just a bunch of annoying zealots arguing over their "opinions" about resolution lol.

#8 Edited by Lucianu (9571 posts) -

Genesis does what Nintendon't. Nintendo and Sega were just going all out, and that produced an incredible generation. Both libraries were complete opposites. One focused on platformers and RPGs, wile the other focused on action side scrollers and shmups.

Every other 'war' felt bland as fuck. PS1 mopped the floor, PS2 mopped the universe, the 7th gen was like a small dispute between twins wile Nintendo left the park and went swimming in their 'blue ocean'.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18486 posts) -

This thread proves just how stupid the gaming community is.

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18486 posts) -

This thread proves just how stupid the gaming community is.

#11 Posted by drekula2 (2968 posts) -

I think a lot of this is biased toward the time period we gamed in, as well as our age.

I'm going to suspect that many people in here, like me, are ages 20 to 25. College age, where there is lots of free time to post about games. Gen 7 started when we were teenagers. The point where we were old enough to be observant about things, but young enough to still be impressionable.

I agree Gen-7 impacted me the most, but I have to be objective about things and say that Gen-4 was just a total monster.

#12 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Don't remember the days of gen 4 well enough. Gens 5, 6 and 8 were/are much too one-sided. Gen 7 was fun, every nerd faction had something going for them.

#13 Posted by aroxx_ab (10781 posts) -

I dont like war, but some generations was more fun that other when look at the games

#14 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (7138 posts) -

I'll say gen 6... Mainly because I was one of the only few people that bought an Xbox when it first came out, and all of my friends laughed at me because they all had PS2s. I was constantly defending my purchase. I showed them KOTOR and Halo etc, and they said "meh".

Funny thing is all of them ended up buying one. Idiots!

#15 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3255 posts) -

Last gen because of the parity.

#16 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

Last gen.

There was good fanboys, good discussions and good (no epic) goofs by everyone.

This gen is boring. Stupid fanboys that don't try. Companies just keeping to themselves and the status quo. And no good discussions at all.

#17 Posted by santoron (8047 posts) -

4 was fun, and the "Nintendon't" commercials were classic, but 7 was the greatest console war so far.

#18 Posted by edinsftw (4241 posts) -

Gen 6, the midsize developers made the best games.

#20 Posted by casharmy (6704 posts) -

Gen 4, it was when Nintendo competitive spirit was at it's peak and what really made them one top quality game company that they are remembered for today.

That gen was when Big-N put out one AAA game after another and Genesis was constantly challenging them and making original high quality games of their own to claim to be the best game company.

That was a gen of nothing but TRUE competition and gamers won big time, none of this phony DLC, money grubbing, buggy, unfinished, rehash garbage that is going on today. Each system had games that truly warranted everyone to try or play I miss the spirit of that gen where it was just about which company could make the best game/s.

#21 Posted by Telekill (5131 posts) -

None. System wars is retarded.

#22 Edited by Boddicker (3102 posts) -

Gen 4 with the Genesis vs SNES was classic. The first "real" console war.

But I gotta go with gen 7. The $600 PS3 and "teh cell" was almost the kiss of death for the then haughty Sony, and we saw the rise of the 360 but it had a fail rate of something like 1/3 to 1/2 thanks to RROD. PS3 came back with a vengeance though.

Gen 8 is interesting with the PS4 and X1 not even trying to be the same like it was gen 7. We got a long way to go with this gen.

#23 Posted by happyduds77 (1554 posts) -

SNES/Genisis

I wasn't a gamer at that time but even I knew how competitive Gensis and SNES were.

PS3 vs Xbox 360

I went really deep

PS1 vs N64

Very competitive. Equally amazing systems with amazing games.

PS2 vs Xbox vs Game Cube

No competition here PS2 dominated

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (43500 posts) -

I only started getting into it last gen, so that, I guess.

#25 Posted by KingsofQueens (2246 posts) -

Definitely Generation 4. Both Genesis and SNES having the most strong 3rd party support, Strong exclusives on each platform that actually gave them an IDENTITY.

#26 Posted by glez13 (9022 posts) -

4th gen for sure. 7th gen was also good because of the Internet, it does wonders for the console war.

#27 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

lol kids these days, back in the good ol days ie. gen2/3, we never talked shit in forums or youtube comments we would have fist fights in the back street. i remember getting my teeth knocked out because i said sonic>>mario. gaming, has changed.

#28 Posted by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -

this gen cuz I like how once a company gets screwed it can react and fix the issue making the other side of fans angry haha. Like Microsoft now, they are giving extra roms for developers to benefit from rather than making Kinect mandatory taking the remaining roms. That was fixed lately and we might see identical graphics between PS4 X1 and it would all come down to exclusives. Isn't this exciting or what? Better than watching World Cup, UFC, or movies for me

#29 Edited by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

lol kids these days, back in the good ol days ie. gen2/3, we never talked shit in forums or youtube comments we would have fist fights in the back street. i remember getting my teeth knocked out because i said sonic>>mario. gaming, has changed.

and you want me to believe that a bully that was so much into games that time would care enough to punch a nerd in the face for Sonic>Mario opinion? Get real that didn't happen. You know that only nerds used to game back then. Bullies used to show how cool they are and isolate their selves from nerds' activities which is gaming. And even if you tell me it was a nerd who punched in the face, I wouldn't believe that neither lol

#30 Posted by Ballroompirate (23741 posts) -

Gen 6 without a doubt

#31 Posted by PapaTrop (1710 posts) -

I only cared for the console wars when each system had its own identity, and people actually discussed games rather than just resolutions.

So I guess Generation 6 and before were the only ones I cared about, if you could say I cared at all. I've never been a fanboy of any specific console.

#32 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@fgjnfgh said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

and you want me to believe that a bully that was so much into games that time would care enough to punch a nerd in the face for Sonic>Mario opinion? Get real that didn't happen. You know that only nerds used to game back then. Bullies used to show how cool they are and isolate their selves from nerds' activities which is gaming. And even if you tell me it was a nerd who punched in the face, I wouldn't believe that neither lol

hmm i remember saying 'sonic is so much better than mario its not even funny, also your mum is a whore', and then BAM shit got real. he was a big mario fan

#33 Edited by Domino_slayer (763 posts) -

Mega Drive/SNES/Amiga was probably the most interesting as each were very different systems and the race was close

PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast/XBox was the worst I lived through by far, that war was totally won by hype, marketing, brand name etc etc. Everybody knew deep down that the PS2 has already won the "war" sometime in 2001, GameCube and XBox weren't even out yet and people were saying it was over, and they were right.

NES/Master System/C64 was actually pretty cool here in Britain, I'd imagine it was crappy in the US though as NES had a monopoly by the late 80s. Here there was a lot of arguing and such.

#34 Edited by SambaLele (5543 posts) -

Gen 5 of course. The PS1 vs. N64 battle in the games department was simply amazing. The existance of a Sega console back then also counts in it's favor (the Saturn's library was pretty good).

Gen 4 is the close 2nd. Gen 3 "saved" the industry, but it was in Gen 4 that it really flourished through market competition.

Gen 7 is the worst for me: it had great games, and a neck to neck competition, but it was the generation were multiplats began to define gaming and systems began losing their identity.