Father paid £450 for a picture of X1 off eBay.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by PCgameruk (1417 posts) -

A young father who paid £450 for what he thought was an Xbox One on eBay was sent a photo of the new console instead.

Peter Clatworthy, 19, had saved up all year to buy the Microsoft console – which is now sold out – for his four-year-old son.

But days after paying for the Day One edition of the games system he received a grainy photo of one in the post, which, to add insult to injury, the seller had written ‘thank you for your purchase’ on the back of.

When he went back to the listing, Mr Clatworthy realised it had advertised ‘Xbox One Fifa Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2013′, despite featuring an image of the console and being listed under the ‘video games and consoles category’.

The teenager, from Bilborough, Nottinghamshire, said he was ‘absolutely gutted’ despite being given a full refund from eBay, which said it would take action against the seller as misleading listings are not allowed.

‘I told my brother and he was crying with laughter, so were all of my mates, it is quite embarrassing,’ he said.

‘Even my mum said I was a bit stupid considering it said it was a photo on the listing.’

Mr Clatworthy added: ‘It has potentially ruined Christmas.’

Hilarious but sad at the time.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (42557 posts) -

Sounds like he got his money back. He's lucky for being so dumb.

#3 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23389 posts) -

what? a 19 year old father who is so smart he was pissing away money on a console over his family was easily duped?

shocking!

#4 Posted by _Matt_ (8746 posts) -

Ha what an idiot.

Also he's a father of a 4 year old son at 19...

He's not really helping improve the stereotype about the intelligence of young parents...

#5 Edited by Kinthalis (5251 posts) -

Too stupid not to get some girl pregnant at 15.

Too stupid not to realize he's buying a picture of a $500 console.

Typical xbone fan = confirmed.

#6 Posted by farrell2k (5095 posts) -

‘Even my mum said I was a bit stupid considering it said it was a photo on the listing.’ It all comes down to people not reading listings! That and of course scammers expecting people to not read the listings.

#7 Posted by -Unreal- (24474 posts) -

He should have swore on his mum and fckin decked that eBay seller.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (6777 posts) -

Being a pc gamer and not a council estate chav who plays cod, I have never encountered this problem.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

One star

@_Matt_ said:

Ha what an idiot.

Also he's a father of a 4 year old son at 19...

He's not really helping improve the stereotype about the intelligence of young parents...

I see that Xbox picture purchase wasn't the only stupid thing he did in his life

#10 Edited by Strutten (1173 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: wow you guys are pathetic .. facepalm..

Whats soo wrong being a parent at that age if i may ask ?..

#11 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Is this kotaku now where we post things that have nothing at all to actually do with video games but manage to have a game related word in it somewhere?

Maybe next time you can post a story about how a guy got shot during a drug deal on the same street as a gamestop.

#12 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2113 posts) -

hahahaha What an idiot. I am dying here.

#13 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (4991 posts) -

I

@Gargus said:

Is this kotaku now where we post things that have nothing at all to actually do with video games but manage to have a game related word in it somewhere?

Maybe next time you can post a story about how a guy got shot during a drug deal on the same street as a gamestop.

You're right, X1 is nt a games console

#14 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6687 posts) -

Lmaooooo! What an idiot. He's lucky he got his money back.

#15 Posted by AtariKidX (6192 posts) -

what an idiot..............lolol

#16 Posted by always_explicit (2619 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Or alternatively you could remove that stick from up outta yo ass.

#17 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25413 posts) -

He looks like a potato.

#18 Posted by aroxx_ab (9120 posts) -

Haha owned, he better look what he is buying next time^^

#19 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3021 posts) -

Probably more fun than the console itself.

(I kid...I kid)

#20 Posted by Cranler (7714 posts) -

@Strutten said:

I really hope you're trolling.

#21 Edited by SaltyMeatballs (25139 posts) -

@Strutten said:

He is still in school and doesn't have a proper understanding of the real world and bringing up children.

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

@Strutten said:

He is still in school and doesn't have a proper understanding of the real world and bringing up children.

Among other reasons, yeah. Anyway there are a lot of studies on why teen pregnancy is bad for both the parents and kids. I doubt/can't believe struttens question was serious so I didn't answer it :p

#23 Posted by trugs26 (5110 posts) -

How is this SW material?

#24 Posted by inb4uall (5120 posts) -

Typical lemming idiot.

#25 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16943 posts) -

19? He looks 35.

#26 Posted by mems_1224 (45719 posts) -

19 year old European kid with a 4 year old kid did something stupid? So shocked.

#27 Posted by Ryan_Som (2335 posts) -

Sadly, I don't find it hard to believe that a 19-year-old has a 4-year-old son.

I do, however, find it insulting that he expects us to believe that he bought an Xbox One FOR A 4-YEAR-OLD.

Because, hey, you gotta teach those kids about priorities early.

#28 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3161 posts) -

Typical Xdrone. Too dumb for his own good.

#29 Posted by FinalFighters (1312 posts) -

yup, thats pretty much MS fanbase in a nutshell..idiots

#30 Edited by locus-solus (477 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

um £450 is equivalent to $735.50

#31 Posted by the_bi99man (11024 posts) -

@Strutten said:

The undeniable fact that the vast majority of people that age are completely incapable of raising a child, or even making rational decisions in general. And before you come at me with feel-good stories of successful young parents, please bear in mind that I said "the vast majority". Doesn't matter if you personally know 100 teenagers who are great parents. That accounts for not even a fraction of 1% of the teenage parents in the world, the majority of whom are, like I said, so fucking stupid they barely even manage to breath. Which explains why they make stupid decisions. Like having kids in high-school. And spending over $700 on a brand new console for a kid who's too young to even appreciate the games. And spending over $700 on a photograph of said console.

On topic: He should have just kept the photo. Probably runs a higher framerate than AC4.

#32 Posted by the_bi99man (11024 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

um £450 is equivalent to $735.50

Which is just further evidence of this guy's stupidity, considering that it's still a $500 console, even though he paid $735 for (a picture of) it.

#33 Posted by rjdofu (9167 posts) -

This, or having a 4-year-old child at 19, which one is more stupid?

#34 Posted by killerfist (19805 posts) -

That's about what I would expect from a guy that makes a girl pregnant at the age of 15..

Lucky that he got his money back.

#35 Edited by KillzoneSnake (1623 posts) -

Damn he had a child when he was 15 lol and now he tries to buy the Xbone. This guy needs help.

#36 Posted by DocSanchez (1394 posts) -

@Riverwolf007: You have no idea of his personal finances.

I'm picturing a guy who made a big mistake when he was 15, left school at 16 to work, describes himself as a father, who was duped by ebay. I have sympathy. He might still live with his parents or work enough overtime to afford it, or has a trade. But of course the default position is to mock him.

#37 Posted by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

Lol fuckin dunce written all over that face, not to mention he looks like 14 year old.

#38 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

This guy has moron written all over him

#39 Posted by Strutten (1173 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: Wow, guess you cant argue with sw hobos, they even know whats best for young parents and soon.. i mean seriously guys thats pretty low and immature.. that deserves a massive facepalm.. and btw salty, why dont you educate us all in "how to raise a child".. since you sound like you know everything bout that ? Its a young age to be a parent yes , but that doesnt mean he/they dont know the "understanding" on how to raise their child (ren).. that is low guys seriously..

#40 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Tut tut 4 year old son at 19.

#41 Edited by starwarsjunky (24689 posts) -

@rjdofu said:

This, or having a 4-year-old child at 19, which one is more stupid?

definitely the child. one sets him back a few bucks. the other robs him of his youth and forces him to be a parent before he's ready, not to mention the large financial obligation. and he can kiss goodbye the thought of going to college, as he'll be too busy to get a proper education.

#42 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

@Strutten said:

@R4gn4r0k: Wow, guess you cant argue with sw hobos, they even know whats best for young parents and soon.. i mean seriously guys thats pretty low and immature.. that deserves a massive facepalm.. and btw salty, why dont you educate us all in "how to raise a child".. since you sound like you know everything bout that ? Its a young age to be a parent yes , but that doesnt mean he/they dont know the "understanding" on how to raise their child (ren).. that is low guys seriously..

Never claimed that. Why are you calling me a hobo ? If you can't argue you just start insulting people...

Go read some studies on young parents, then come back and talk shit.

#43 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Kid is going turn into a spoil little piece of crap when hes older.

Seriously why are kids having kids?

#44 Posted by Fishsticklover (247 posts) -

I'd rather have the picture, takes up less space and doesn't spy on you

#45 Posted by starwarsjunky (24689 posts) -

Seriously why are kids having kids?

because some of the tend to be very irresponsible?

#48 Posted by Boddicker (2272 posts) -

Dumbass should have read the description.

He did not deserve his money back.