Fate of pointer + nunchuck controls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I just today started to play Metroid Prime Trilogy (the first game - Im going to go through the series form the beginning, never played any Prime yet) and I must say the immersion of pointer + nunchick controls really adds up to how much Im enjoying the game. Do you think this controller conception will be abandoned in the future? That would be bad news for me...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That control scheme works brilliantly for a lot of games. Some just hate on it for no good reason.

Avatar image for FoolwithaLancer
FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FoolwithaLancer
Member since 2011 • 2020 Posts

It's alright, though I don't really play FPS on the Wii. Only FPS on the Wii I played was Resident Evil:UC game on the Wii. It was alright.

LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

Hopefully they get improved tech, and get combined w/ kinect-type tech, alongside cool goggles for a virtual reality style game.

really, all the tech is there, it just all needs to be skillfully implemented, and have some games designed around them.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BlbecekBobecek

It's alright, though I don't really play FPS on the Wii. Only FPS on the Wii I played was Resident Evil:UC game on the Wii. It was alright.

FoolwithaLancer

I played Goldeneye 007, Red Steel 2, some Medal of Honor (cant remember which one) and Conduit and I loved them all thanks to the control scheme (Conduit was a bit lame singleplayer, but it had fun multiplayer).

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BlbecekBobecek

Hopefully they get improved tech, and get combined w/ kinect-type tech, alongside cool goggles for a virtual reality style game.

LORD_BLACKGULT

My sarcasm meter just went mad :)

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
extremely creative and comfortable setup. Imo, the pointer is the console's answer to the mousepad
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

It's terrible, like all motion controls, but I will say Metroid Prime 3 was the only game in the entire wii library with motion controls that I didn't constantly think "F***, why can't I just use classic controller?"

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Well to your actual question, given the Wii U's controller and the fact that Move is not very successful I do think that it will be abandoned.

But I do agree with you and I absolutely love using the Wiimote and nunchuck for shooters. if you're enjoying the Prime games than I implore to also play Goldeneye, Red Steel 2, Conduit 1 & 2, and the two Call of Duty games (3 does not count). I think you'll enjoy some or all of these. Especially Goldeneye and Red Steel 2!!!!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
The Wii controls were very nice for RE4, as well.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
I would say that there are limitations to the Wii and Nunchuck, but it created brand new genres for better or worse, and in certain genres, it absolutely thrived.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

It dephends on the implementation of the nunchuck controls. Some FPSes benefit, like Red Steel 2, others dont, like Red Steel 1.

As tech advances I believe they will only improve.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I assume that they are done. A real shame too, dual analog is so stiff. I've heard some people say that the Wii U will be compatible with the Wii Mote, and even that it may be available in the box, but I really doubt it.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I'm alright with the concept of of it, but the Wii remote isn't nearly accurate enough for me and I also want to shoot myself everytime a Wii FPS has a moving reticule. The Move improves on accuracy some, but it's still not ideal.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I assume that they are done. A real shame too, dual analog is so stiff. I've heard some people say that the Wii U will be compatible with the Wii Mote, and even that it may be available in the box, but I really doubt it.meetroid8

It will definitely be compatible with the Wii remote, and in a lot of cases I'm sure it'll be required(such as Chase Mii). Not having one in the box would surprise me.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BlbecekBobecek

Well to your actual question, given the Wii U's controller and the fact that Move is not very successful I do think that it will be abandoned.

But I do agree with you and I absolutely love using the Wiimote and nunchuck for shooters. if you're enjoying the Prime games than I implore to also play Goldeneye, Red Steel 2, Conduit 1 & 2, and the two Call of Duty games (3 does not count). I think you'll enjoy some or all of these. Especially Goldeneye and Red Steel 2!!!!

Darth-Samus

I already finished (and hugely enjoyed) both of those games. :)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17847 Posts
my 3rd fav control scheme for shooters. my first being mouse and keyboard of course and second being the DS setup (so the wiiu could also be very kewl at FPSs in the future).
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#18 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I prefer analog but I can tolerate the pointer + nunchuk controls.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Wiimote + Nunchuck: Great for some things and really bad for others DA: Great for everything (except RTS)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Seeing as how the Wii U is being designed to be fully backwards compatible with all Wii periphrials, I don't doubt we will see it resurface next generation.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Put it this way: A major reason i bought a Move was so that I could play FPS on my PS3 the same way. It's too bad that so few PS3 FPS actually support it.

Well Nintendo hasn't completely abandoned the Wiimote with the Wii U. So we'll see. I'm also interested in that hybrid analog/gyro control that Ubi showed off.