Far Cry 4 is a brilliant game, agreed?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

I play this game on and off, and it never gets old. The gameplay is an absolute blast. There's tons of things to do, and it's a fun open world. The graphics are also amazing. Playing this 21:9 on a GTX 980 TI. I know it's been out for a while, but if you haven't played it, I really recommend you do. Have you gotten to it, SW? Your thoughts?

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Its boring and generic (like most ubigames), I only played once, didn't even bother to buy the dlcs.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

It's repetitive and boring.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:

Its boring and generic (like most ubigames), I only played once, didn't even bother to buy the dlcs.

Half the games from Ubisoft are repetitive and boring but the other half are quite brilliant.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It was a better game than far cry 3 but fell a little flat because it was just more of the same. Still, it was a blast and Pegan Min was a great villain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:

This.

All ubisoft titles now follow the same assassins creed formular, follow the markers, shoot.. .repeat.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Three was far and a way better for me, I enjoyed the setting, story and characters more.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dakur

@MBirdy88 said:
@thepclovingguy said:

This.

All ubisoft titles now follow the same assassins creed formular, follow the markers, shoot.. .repeat.

Child of Light

Rayman

South Park

Outland

All great games and nothing like Assassins Creed.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

I'll say this... I think UBIsoft created a really satisfying gameplay loop of activities, distractions and attractions. It's a very fluid thing to be ending a main mission, spotting a skin you've been hunting for, crossing paths with a convoy you take out, driving to a checkpoint and deciding to clear a camp.... Etc etc etc... They nailed the constant pull of your attention.

However, they did the exact same thing in far cry 3 and so in playing far cry 4, I felt like I was at the saturation point of that loop right off the bat.

The only additions were the dingy, which lets face it, was like blowing the flute in a Zelda game... It basically lets you avoid playing far cry, and for some reason, every main mission in 4 was like a drug trip with wholely forgettable characters.

I'm ready for an adjustment if I were to buy a far cry 5.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@dakur said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@thepclovingguy said:

This.

Child of Light

Rayman

South Park

Outland

That's why I said "most" not "all".

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@dakur said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@thepclovingguy said:

This.

Child of Light ok

Rayman ok, but a reboot of a franchise already made by someone else.

South Park Made by obsidian, only published by Ubisoft.

Outland HouseMargque.

So really, the only original property there is Child of Light... which in comparison with their big AAA titles, is rather a small corner stone.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Eh, I thought it was boring.

The story was boring and the gameplay was more of the same with FC3.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dakur

@MBirdy88 said:
@dakur said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@thepclovingguy said:

This.

Child of Light ok

Rayman ok, but a reboot of a franchise already made by someone else.

South Park Made by obsidian, only published by Ubisoft.

Outland HouseMargque.

So really, the only original property there is Child of Light... which in comparison with their big AAA titles, is rather a small corner stone.

Ok so maybe Ubisoft is better as a publisher :P

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

It's great and an improvement over 3, but I've played more than my fair share of this gameplay now so I won't be replaying 3 or 4 any time in the near future and i won't even be interested in a fc5 unless it really shook up the formula

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Actually, the open world sucks balls. There's NOT tons of things to do.

Aside from hunting for upgrades (of which most are not even that useful), everything else you can find on the map is money. There is absolutely NOTHING else to find in the gameworld other than money, because the things you find are various items, which are only usable for trading them for money, which basically means they just represent money. What makes this even worse is the fact that the amount of money the game pours on to you is excessive to begin with. There's nothing much to buy either, so you end up automatically earning more than you can even spend. There are zero reasons to explore some remote caves to get even more money.

This pretty much kills the exploration part of the game. I still liked the game though. It was a good shooter, but it wasn't that great as an open world adventure game.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Despite it being an unpopular opinion, I absolutely adore Ubi and the majority of their games. IMO they had a rough year with Watch Dogs, The Crew and Unity but on average their games range from good to great. They've gotten repetitive at times but I've always enjoyed them.

For me FC 3 is the best one, it corrects the issues of the second game while properly using that signature Ubi gameplay loop. 4 was great but I found the story to be lacking compared to 3, and even though there is more content in it, it does get boring faster because of how similar it is to 3. I played 3 and 4 back to back and after logging some decent hours I traded it for dying light.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

No,

and FC3 was my goty

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It's fine on its own, but I enjoyed the campaign coop a lot. Flying around in that mini chopper and stuff. Lot of cool moments I remember

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#21 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Quest marker simulator.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Excellent title. Easily one the most, most this generation.

• Remove obnoxious story telling and characters from the third game
  • Added a massive array of weapons and tools to play around modifying play-style
  • Added the ability to remove UI gunk (which was later patched for Far Cry 3
  • Added COOP to the SP campaign
  • Added the ability to fly
  • Added the ability to shoot while using vehicles
  • Slightly less racist, even though he must be American and Tribal people are clones
  • Speculator visuals (Witcher 3? lol)
  • Varied objectives
  • Fairly decent season pass
  • Exploration is sort of fun

The only major complaint is the over emphasis on unlocking shit, which is par for the course with Ubisoft.

Surprised they haven't cynically rammed in microtransactions yet.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#23  Edited By doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

While I thnk the gameplay and concept it's brilliant, I kind of feel that the mission design was lazy and poorly realizased they could have created a lot of cool stuff to do with all the gameplay options.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup

@doubalfa said:

While I thnk the gameplay and concept it's brilliant, I kind of feel that the mission design was lazy and poorly realizased they could have created a lot of cool stuff to do with all the gameplay options.

Well, that's the thing, they leave it up to you. If you want to stealth around for 5 minutes laying down and setting up C4 for projected routes you can do that. Sit half a mile away and pick them off, you can do that. Shoot grenade launchers at mid range to go all John Rambo, you can do that. Shoot people at close range with a shotty, you can do that. Fly a helicopter and literally use verticality, you can do that. Use the radio to call in a squad, you can do that. Release animals, as in 3, you can do that. Ride around ramming them with a big ass elephant, you can do that. Play the entire thing like a stealth game, you can do that. Can even hijack of a mortar, which is pretty awesome.

I would agree the combat areas themselves could be improved with a more Dues Ex like, go A or B, which exist but are very rare, usually relegated to the large COOP fortresses.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

It was fun for a few hours, but became rather monotonous.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

It certainly isn't a bad game. But so much of it feels like I already did it with the exception of it being on a tropical island in Far Cry 3. Because its build and structure mirror 3 so much I got bored with 4 quickly.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm slowly working through it. I like it a lot - but this is my first Far Cry, so the supposed repetition isn't hitting me like it might others

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Its worse than far cry 3 in every way and i consider far cry 3 just decent/good if not great.

Far cry series is assassins creed of FPS. boring, repetetive, point A to point B.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Some things about it I like, some things disappoint.

Every Far Cry game since Far Cry 2 disappoints me in the lack of certain Dunia features that FC2 had like the dynamic weather, the day-night system, foliage behavior.

Since then though they've done great to add more competent AI, FC2's was broken, also the maps in FC2 were very squarish and had such an artificial boundary feel on their edges yet everything in between looked like some of the best scenery ever in a Far Cry gae, later Far Cry games have much better story missions, wild animals and crafting, outposts that can be taken over, better weapons.

One thing about FC4 that bugged me is I don't care for having such a huge open world map if every corner of it feels the same except for its topography, I kind of wish they'd work hard to give sections of the world their own kind of look and feel, I felt the previous Far Cry games did a better job there.

Anyhow, core gameplay is solid, even Far Cry PRIMAL was a nice breath of fresh air, even if it might be a recreation of the FC4 landscape, it didn't feel like that, felt very different and looked very different, beautiful game at times, but it too was a mixed bag.

I'd just like to see a Far Cry game that calls on all the strengths of the series' to date.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

Far cry series is assassins creed of FPS. boring, repetetive, point A to point B.

This is true. however Assassins Creed has no modicum of challenge and therefor all those options and upgrades don't mean shit. Most of the combat and jumping it practically automated, hold down a button = thing

Far Cry 4 differentiates itself by making that stuff mostly work.

Aside from that as well, Ubisoft seems to have learned from 3 and toned down the cinematics considerably to the point, that after the introduction you are pretty much left to your own devices.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

This is true. however Assassins Creed has no modicum of challenge and therefor all those options and upgrades don't mean shit. Most of the combat and jumping it practically automated, hold down a button = thing

i tried far cry 4 one and half hour before gave it up.

game was simply far cry 3 on mountain except even worse than FC3 in every way.

also Vaas was waay better than a crazy guy wearing pink coat.

Far cry 3 was may not be Doom but sure it was hell lot better than FC4. and it was really good game too with some heavy flaws and main character bieng terribly annoying.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

So much of Far Cry 3 was reused you must like that too.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Good, but come on, brilliant? What are you smoking?

@uninspiredcup said:

Excellent title. Easily one the most, most this generation.

• Remove obnoxious story telling and characters from the third game
  • Added a massive array of weapons and tools to play around modifying play-style
  • Added the ability to remove UI gunk (which was later patched for Far Cry 3
  • Added COOP to the SP campaign
  • Added the ability to fly
  • Added the ability to shoot while using vehicles
  • Slightly less racist, even though he must be American and Tribal people are clones
  • Speculator visuals (Witcher 3? lol)
  • Varied objectives
  • Fairly decent season pass
  • Exploration is sort of fun

The only major complaint is the over emphasis on unlocking shit, which is par for the course with Ubisoft.

Surprised they haven't cynically rammed in microtransactions yet.

I'm shocked.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Liquid_ said:

No,

and FC3 was my goty

same. Ok maybe not goty but still a great game

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I really enjoyed FC3, but FC4 just became boring. It was really just the same game repackaged. Stopped playing it after about 6 hours, sold the game and never had a desire to go back.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

i tried far cry 4 one and half hour before gave it up.

game was simply far cry 3 on mountain except even worse than FC3 in every way.

also Vaas was waay better than a crazy guy wearing pink coat.

Far cry 3 was may not be Doom but sure it was hell lot better than FC4. and it was really good game too with some heavy flaws and main character bieng terribly annoying.

I would certainly agree Pagan Min is Vas all over again. However, unlike 3, the story is firmly pushed the to back. Speaking as "person", I hated 3's story and found it very try hard in typical Ubisoft fashion. Snipping that shit away is beneficial.

And it is expanded, much in the same manner as Vice City is from Grand Theft Auto 3 or Resident Evil 2 from Resident Evil 1. Most people weren't exactly decrying Far Cry 3 as shit so I don't see much of an issue on using the formula as long as they try to improve and refine it. Which they do, for the most part.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

Far Cry 3 was so much better, 4 got boring so quick.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I actually really enjoyed FC3, and FC4 was pretty good, but the characters were just not important and neither was the story in FC4. FC3 - party boat crashes on island, friends captured, save them one at a time, go after villian, and some crap with tribes that you're the "one". FC4 has a ruler, and two factions fighting in different paths to free the country, you pick one or mix it up and then kill the villian. Nothing mattered in the story.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#39 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I didn't even get to the ten hour mark with FC4, bored the shit out of me. I think it and Shadow of Mordor were the first games where I started feeling open world fatigue, cause they were supposed to be really good and I didn't much enjoy either of them

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I definitely enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's brilliant.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

far cry 3.5?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#42 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I thought it was too similar to FC3, but after playing FC3 again I actually disagree. FC4 has a lot of improvements that smooth out the gameplay a ton, especially the stealth.

I'm a big sucker for open world games so maybe I'm a bit too forgiving, but to me FC4 was one of the standouts of last gen if you think of FC3 and 4 as the same thing kind of, and FC4 as just the perfection of it. I didn't think of FC as a truly great series, but after playing Watch Dogs I've learned to appreciate it more. I haven't played FCP yet though

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Better than FC3 in that it lost the lame-ass cast of sidekicks.

Worse in that the world was less exciting, and the bad guy wasn't as good as Vaas. He was a villain you actually loved to hate.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I really liked it. Good, mindless fun. Sometimes you just want to switch off and mess around with guns (and gyrocopters). Great game. Despite all the collectibles and optional this and that etc it was nowhere near as boring as an AC game, not a typical Ubi game IMO.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4

@blueinheaven said:

I really liked it. Good, mindless fun. Sometimes you just want to switch off and mess around with guns (and gyrocopters). Great game. Despite all the collectibles and optional this and that etc it was nowhere near as boring as an AC game, not a typical Ubi game IMO.

I found going for collectibles in FC3/FC4 to be far more bearable than in AC. For AC, I solely stick to upgrading home base/money etc. and just the main quest (some side quests).

Weird how UBI did that.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@blueinheaven said:

I found going for collectibles in FC3/FC4 to be far more bearable than in AC. For AC, I solely stick to upgrading home base/money etc. and just the main quest (some side quests).

Weird how UBI did that.

There were better rewards for collectible hunting in FC4 for sure (I haven't played FC3). I hated everything related to collectibles in AC. In fact I hated climbing a steeple revealing a map because now I found a new whole list of really, really boring things to do lol.

AC needs to be completely re-invented (I think re-imagined is the new dev word for admitting something is really shit) or just literally left to rot in a corner somewhere.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

fc3 was one of the best single player experiences i had in a shooter. I'll get fc4 and primal when they go on sale like i do with all my games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lundy86_4

@blueinheaven said:

There were better rewards for collectible hunting in FC4 for sure (I haven't played FC3). I hated everything related to collectibles in AC. In fact I hated climbing a steeple revealing a map because now I found a new whole list of really, really boring things to do lol.

AC needs to be completely re-invented (I think re-imagined is the new dev word for admitting something is really shit) or just literally left to rot in a corner somewhere.

Seriously. AC needs a major overhaul. It went off the rails after Desmond... Though Black Flag was easily the peak for the franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

I actually had an absurd amount of fun with FC4. But then, I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire series, minus Primal, which I haven't played yet (I like guns too much). The gameplay in FC is just so fluid and awesome. The story in FC3 is def better than in 4. 4's story is basically non-existent, but that's okay due to the world being a blast (literally) to destroy.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#50 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

It's a really pretty game but got old too fast.