Facts and Predictions About Batman: Arkham Knight

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

Batman: Arkham Knight is the up and coming fourth Arkham game and the third developed by Rocksteady. It's said to be the final game in the series, and the final Batman game that Rocksteady will make before they start working on other projects. Also, it's - to my knowledge - the first sequel to a series of games that debuted on the previous generation of consoles that will not be available on them; in other words, this game will be available only on the Playstation 4, the XBOX ONE, and PC. Anyhow, here's a video I made about the game. It's short and to the point.

I just uploaded it, so certain resolutions might not be available for a few minutes. I recorded it at 4K resolution (3840 x 2160).

#2 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

Saw this days ago. old. but yeah another best on pc batman.

#3 Edited by KBFloYd (12877 posts) -

wow ...epic

#4 Edited by lostrib (32977 posts) -

you're a bit late

#5 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

its hard to impossible for me to play a game that clearly should be in first person as a 3rd person game.

its far to distracting

#6 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

its hard to impossible for me to play a game that clearly should be in first person as a 3rd person game.

its far to distracting

what?
its in 3rd person to give the play the sense that batman has an almost 6th sense when combating enemies.

playing in first person would get people fucked up 100% and would not be a fun game

#7 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

The batman games clearly shouldn't be in first person

#8 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

its in 3rd person to give the play the sense that batman has an almost 6th sense when combating enemies.

playing in first person would get people fucked up 100% and would not be a fun game

yeah not feeling it.

In general 3rd view I really do not like at all. actually now that I think about it I don think I like it in any game.

The only game I think I like in 3rd person is Xyson but not because its in 3rd person.

#9 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

First person? C'mon, son. How ridiculous would that be.

#10 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

what its a strategy game?

I dont know that much about it to be honest and the reason is BECAUSE its in 3rd person view.

When it comes to non stradegy games I think I have been playing in 1st person view sense doom

#11 Edited by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

I dont know that much about it to be honest and the reason is BECAUSE its in 3rd person view.

When it comes to non stradegy games I think I have been playing in 1st person view sense doom

the game would be awful in first person. Not everything needs to be first person, nor should it be

#12 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

I don't think you're allowed to just advertise for your youtube channel

#13 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

the game would be awful in first person. Not everything needs to be first person, nor should it be

to be fair most action games are not in first person.

Not sure why that would be a problem here.

#14 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

because it would not be very fun

#15 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

because it would not be very fun

could you be a little more specific?

how is lets say BF4 works in 1st person but this game not.

Keep in mind, no I havent played batman

#16 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@lostrib

I'm not advertising; the video is relevant to the discussion.

#17 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

yeah not feeling it.

In general 3rd view I really do not like at all. actually now that I think about it I don think I like it in any game.

The only game I think I like in 3rd person is Xyson but not because its in 3rd person.

honestly I think games should have an option for both,

like hitman,

max payne wouldn't be made worse with first person,

same with gears of war.

but for a game like batman I would say 3rd person is the way to go

#18 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

yeah not feeling it.

honestly I think games should have an option for both,

like hitman,

max payne wouldn't be made worse with first person,

same with gears of war.

but for a game like batman I would say 3rd person is the way to go

from my view point I dont live in 3rd person in real life so when trying to achieve fictional realism 3rd person steals from the immersion.

So for example, in Arma 3 you can do a roll and in mount and blade you can have complex hand to hand combat in first person as you would see such things in real life.

#19 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@lostrib

I'm not advertising; the video is relevant to the discussion.

The thread only exists to advertise you made a video about the game

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (6991 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

Have you played the first two? This game has many elements that need 3rd person to work. The player needs spatial awareness when gliding and grappling, for example, not to mention the combat has to allow the player the ability to ascertain threats nearby. Besides, they do allow 1st person in some parts.

OT, I'm so looking forward to this that I've decided to not read up anything on it. I want to be surprised when I play, It'll be hard until Oct, but eh. It'll be worth it.

#21 Posted by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@SEANMCAD:

Im tired of seeing this trash excuse as to why 3rd person is bad. Playing in first person does not give you peripheral vision. Its like running around with horse blinders on. DO you do that in real life? Imagine playing tomb raider in 1st person. Pretty stupid. Games where the story revolves around a character need to be in 3rd person so you develop that attachment to the character. Who wants to play a batman game where you don't see batman. Don't bring up ARMA 3 if its the same game Im thinking that game is trash and has been broken since the alpha.

#22 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

The constricted peripheral vision of first person games exists only in console versions of games, but in PC versions, the FOV can be increased.

#23 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD:

Im tired of seeing this trash excuse as to why 3rd person is bad. Playing in first person does not give you peripheral vision. Its like running around with horse blinders on. DO you do that in real life? Imagine playing tomb raider in 1st person. Pretty stupid. Games where the story revolves around a character need to be in 3rd person so you develop that attachment to the character. Who wants to play a batman game where you don't see batman. Don't bring up ARMA 3 if its the same game Im thinking that game is trash and has been broken since the alpha.

god damnit you dont have that kind of vision in real life either.

fuck me....

I want to play a game where I AM batman...not playing a godddam doll.

#24 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

@lostrib

You don't know that. You're making baseless assumptions. On another note, did you watch the video? What do you think of my theory?

#25 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

The constricted peripheral vision of first person games exists only in console versions of games, but in PC versions, the FOV can be increased.

only if it's allowed

#26 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@lostrib

You don't know that. You're making baseless assumptions. On another note, did you watch the video? What do you think of my theory?

No i didn't. And it's not a baseless assumption: "Anyhow, here's a video I made about the game. It's short and to the point."

#27 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

oh look I want a wider FOV then I do in real life and I want to see my self because that is an element of immersion.

fuck me

#28 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

oh look I want a wider FOV then I do in real life and I want to see my self because that is an element of immersion.

fuck me

then you do what in real life?

#29 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

fuck me

so its called 'fictional realism'. If you want to play a game to win or 'beat it' then yes 3rd person is a great 'cheat mode' to immersion. If you want to play a game for immersion then 1st makes much more sense.

#30 Edited by Spitfire-Six (494 posts) -

@SEANMCAD:

Again no need to get angry bro its the truth, In real life you have a sense of awareness you know how much space you occupy. In a 1st person view you don't have that, thats why those type of games have to string you along. Your field of view changes based on the position of your eyes, you don't have to move your head to see whats directly to your left and right. This is a ridiculous argument btw.

#31 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

fuck me

so its called 'fictional realism'. If you want to play a game to win or 'beat it' then yes 3rd person is a great 'cheat mode' to immersion. If you want to play a game for immersion then 1st makes much more sense.

whoosh! nvm

#32 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

fuck me

whoosh! nvm

got lost on 'fictional realism'

#33 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@SEANMCAD:

Again no need to get angry bro its the truth, In real life you have a sense of awareness you know how much space you occupy. In a 1st person view you don't have that, thats why those type of games have to string you along. Your field of view changes based on the position of your eyes, you don't have to move your head to see whats directly to your left and right. This is a ridiculous argument btw.

that sounds like grade A bullshit.

I dont know...SOUND maybe?

I cant see behind me but I can HEAR behind me

#34 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

fuck me

whoosh! nvm

got lost on 'fictional realism'

no, don't worry about it

#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (22198 posts) -

Fact: it will be awesome and amazing

Predictions: will probably buy day 1

#36 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

I don't see how anyone could argue that this game should be played in first person; it would be such an odd experience in that perspective. You wouldn't be able to counter enemies as quickly or as precisely due to the limited field of view, even with the increased FOV of a PC version, and it would look and feel so off bouncing around from enemy to enemy as you execute combo free flows. What a terrible idea.

Anyhow, what do you guys think of my theory regarding the identity of the new villain who'll be revealed in this game?

#37 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69603 posts) -

i really hope the driving in this game is smooth

#38 Edited by gameofthering (10080 posts) -

@Jankarcop: I hope Rocksteady don't delay it for a month after the consoles. I'll have to avoid the internet and my friends :(

EDIT: Just noticed the Steam page is up. Hope that's a sign that they intend to release it at the same time.

#39 Edited by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

Saw this days ago. old. but yeah another best on pc batman.

as if your pc can run anything aside diablo 2 :D

also you only avoid soap and water.

#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9705 posts) -

How did this turn into such a weird argument about 1st or 3rd Person Perspectives ?

Oh well, let me make it worse. The Stealth Sections of the game can totally work in full 1st person mode. Infact, I wish that was an option. Traversing the enviroment can also work okay in 1st person as you don't need to be all that much aware of Batman's Dimensions and Orientation, he's a man, not an Airplane. The only scenario it won't work is when you're in Combat.

And who the hell played Batman for the "Immersion" ? Shame on you ! Its got so many things to offer and you're hung up about not being properly immersed ? Not cool !

I'm glad somebody made a thread about this. Theres one thing I've always wanted to bring up.

#41 Edited by Big_Pecks (5227 posts) -

All of the villains will get killed.

#42 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9705 posts) -

In Regards to Enemy Encounters, the game is clearly split into two types of game modes, Beat'em Style Combat and Predatory Stealth.

And they NEVER EVER OVERLAP. They are kept nice and firmly seperated. You can't play Predator Sections like a Brawler and you can't play Fighting sections like a Predator. I was wondering if the gameplay can be redesign in such a way that it blends these two play styles into a single type where either method is not only possible... But seemless in transition and execution. Just as it was in The Last Of Us. Against human opponents, even though they are aware of your presence, doesn't mean you can't ghost them. It played like a Predatory Brawler or A Sneaky Beatdown, with guns. If Arkham Knight can Achieve this. That would be the real innovation. This is why Iv'e always wanted from the series, not a bigger city, not more comic book characters to play with or against, not the batmobile or the batwing, not multiplayer. But I suppose the Batmobile is a good Idea too. I suppose.......

#43 Posted by cainetao11 (16462 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

Nothing would be fun about Being Batman, and not getting to see Batman. Its one of the drawbacks to first person to me. Give me a cool looking character like in Dishonored and I cant see him. I like FPS, but I do enjoy seeing the character I control, especially if its hand to hand combat heavy. Nothing hand to hand would work well in first person, imo.

#44 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

Nothing would be fun about Being Batman, and not getting to see Batman. Its one of the drawbacks to first person to me. Give me a cool looking character like in Dishonored and I cant see him. I like FPS, but I do enjoy seeing the character I control, especially if its hand to hand combat heavy. Nothing hand to hand would work well in first person, imo.

the darkness was a cool game, you could see you character in mirrors and his feet and cinematics.

not only that one of the best stories in a game made

#45 Edited by cainetao11 (16462 posts) -

@killatwill15:

Yeah I remember it. I do like FPS, but some characters I just prefer in 3rd person. The combat flow is so epically, bad a$$, Batman, and in First person it would blow, imo.

#46 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

i am not sure how that makes any sense

being batman without seeing batman.? well..umm yeah that is how reality works.

'seeing' the person you are being in a way that doesnt represent anything in reality is an immersion killer

#47 Posted by cainetao11 (16462 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@cainetao11 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

'seeing' the person you are being in a way that doesnt represent anything in reality is an immersion killer

I don't play video games for reality. Nor do I see movies for it. I am just as immersed in 3rd person as first person games. That sounds like a personal preference for both of us. Comics, the source material, are visual. You see Batman doing these great things. I wouldn't want to play a Batman game and not see batman do these great things.

#48 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@cainetao11 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

I don't play video games for reality. Nor do I see movies for it. I am just as immersed in 3rd person as first person games. That sounds like a personal preference for both of us. Comics, the source material, are visual. You see Batman doing these great things. I wouldn't want to play a Batman game and not see batman do these great things.

it is different.

I mean when reading a comic book or watching a movie you can have deep empathy for the character and feel like you understand him but you know its not you.

Roleplaying changed all that, in RPG the idea was that you ARE that person (going back to pen and paper). It can be a very different mindset and far more immerse despite personal preferences.

#49 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -

Don't pay SEANMCAD any mind. He doesn't have a clue. Calls himself a real gamer, yet only seems to play on one platform. There's no way this game should be in 1st person. I'm so happy RockySteady is doing this game.

#50 Posted by cainetao11 (16462 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@cainetao11 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@cainetao11 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

its far to distracting

what?

it is different.

I mean when reading a comic book or watching a movie you can have deep empathy for the character and feel like you understand him but you know its not you.

Roleplaying changed all that, in RPG the idea was that you ARE that person (going back to pen and paper). It can be a very different mindset and far more immerse despite personal preferences.

If you say so. I haven't experienced it. I get immersed in the games I play regardless of perspective.