Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@treedoor: Read my other post (not feeling like copy-pasting all of it again :P ).

@Desmonic:

Branching off does not mean it will stop them from continuing supporting it as primary gaming platform. Not sure why expanding the use of the VR is bad when it has potential to do a lot more.

Same as above, read my other post. Also it's not bad to expand, it's bad to take a focused device and make it multipurpose for no reason. If they make different devices then it's all good.

Did you know the first computer was developed to make calculating the trajectory of artillery shells a lot faster?

They still use computers for that task today actually. Computers also have a billion other functions because people took the original tech, and expanded upon it.

Why is it so hard to imagine that you could play a game on Oculus Rift one minute, and then the next be watching a courtside basketball game, or the next be watching Great Barrier Reef documentary all with the same device?

I'm trying to wrap my head around that idea. My TV can display the news, sports, Netflix, games, and bluray movies, and it does it all without sacrificing quality for any of those functions. Why would the OR having the same amount of functionality make it a lesser gaming device?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

2 things:

1. Virtual Reality is now most definitely the future and people calling it a gimmick were wrong, Facebook buying it assures this

2. Is it the VR future we wanted or were going to get? Time will tell. Hopefully it means that they can make a really solid product with all that money and resources available to them and the game developers will make sure it's still game focused and supported

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@Desmonic:

Yes they are going stop supporting gaming and not take advantage of the potential market so to focus on facebook and watching movies.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@CroidX said:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-the-rift-headset-for-around-2b-in-cash-and-stock/

Zuckerberg says that their efforts with Oculus will continue to focus on gaming initially, and that the company will continue to operate independently of Facebook. But after gaming, Zuckerberg says, they’re going to expand into a variety of other arenas.

“After games, we’re going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home,” he says. “This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

lol RIP. He say will be about gaming initial, then list all use beside gaming. Obvious why they acquire this system. Facebook becoming new MS where talent go to die.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TheFadeForever

lol cows are hilarious even when Oculus Rift will operate independently from Facebook its some how a bad thing.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi:

He said after obviously its not a priority and shocking how a device being capable of doing other things is somehow a bad thing.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts
@TheFadeForever said:

lol cows are hilarious even when Oculus Rift will operate independently from Facebook its some how a bad thing.

No company owned by another company works "independently" from it's parent corporation. The letter sent out is nothing more then a formality.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I don't know what to think of it.

It's way too early to tell what is gonna become of this.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Facebook just couldn't resist the urge to buy Oculus Rift, could it???!!!! MOTHER FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...It's gonna be the ultimate surveillance device...Fvck progress and good immersive games. It's gonna be social crap and watching other people from their POV as they jerk off or whatever... #idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Facebook got a good deal there. VR is the future and 5 Years from now Oculus will be a huge player in that field.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@ribstaylor1:

That what we call a Independent Subsidary

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Facebook+Oculus future:

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I was worried at first, but then I read Zuckerburg's statement. He understands that, at least initially, it will be a gaming orientated device. Oculus was never aimed solely as a gaming device, but was always intended for professional and media applications. Not to mention, Palmer and crew will operate independently. If anything, I am actually very happy about this. Facebook will probably just add tons of new employees to Oculus to make sure that mobile is getting particular attention.

People worrying about VR Farmville are just silly.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so now we'll have facebook dick riders?

awesome.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Hoping Sony VR produces something more gaming related.
FB can use oculus rift for social media which is fine too. But not as a spy tool lol

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Well this ups the profile of the occulus rif

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Something tells me this is somehow related with this:

So, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and Ashton Kutcher walk into an artificial intelligence firm. That's not the beginning of a joke—all three tech heavyweights have reportedly invested a joint $40 million in Vicarious FPC.

This marks the second major cash flow in two years for the AI company, which is building learning software that mirrors the computational capabilities of the human brain.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Morpheus is looking so much better today than it did yesterday.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts
@The
@NFJSupreme said:

Well this ups the profile of the occulus rift

But downgrades my interest.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts
@Desmonic said:

Rhetoric much?

Learn to read. I'm not against using the tech from Oculus and apply it for loads of other stuff. I'm against making Oculus (the device we have now) a "jack of all trades" with no actual need for it. Movies (usually) play at 24fps. TV shows too(? dunno about these, just assuming here). A regular game on PC usually plays in between 30-60fps (assuming the dev doesn't suck / the user has a decent rig). The team at OR say that the best experience is actually achieved with 90fps.

Do you see the issue here? Do you see why it'll be a mess to make the current OR a jack of all trades when it has to cater to so many different configurations (and possibly even input sources; ie PC's, TV's, etc)? Even if they eventually make it work, it would be a step back without any actual need for it. It's easy for a user to manually tweek a game's configuration to make it have more fps, not so much with other media...

It'll be much easier to take the concept and tech from OR and make a different device (fully) focused on other media, which is what I'm hoping happens. Assuming of course the management from FB doesn't decide to f*ck things up on a whim...

Have you ever noticed that your TV/monitor is quite capable of displaying movies that run at 24fps (which I don't think newer movies do), and video games at 60fps?

You don't have to buy a 24fps TV to watch movies, and a 60fps TV to play PC games, and a 30fps TV to play console games. You just buy one single TV, and it does it all.

Why do you think the OR would be designed in such a way that it can't also do this?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

Is there anything Facebook won't buy? First $1 billion on Instagram, then they offered $3 billion for Snapchat, then it was the record purchase of WhatsApp for $19 billion and now O-Rift for $2 billion...

Wow.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

Is there anything Facebook won't buy? First $1 billion on Instagram, then they offered $3 billion for Snapchat, then it was the record purchase of WhatsApp for $19 billion and now O-Rift for $2 billion...

Wow.

I feel like Mark Zuckerberg is just bored so he just buys random shit that pops up in the news

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/448591952993595392/photo/1

Markus Persson ‏@notch 23m

We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus. I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

2 things:

1. Virtual Reality is now most definitely the future and people calling it a gimmick were wrong, Facebook buying it assures this

2. Is it the VR future we wanted or were going to get? Time will tell. Hopefully it means that they can make a really solid product with all that money and resources available to them and the game developers will make sure it's still game focused and supported

the good thing is though,like smartphones,VR will ONLY become huge and successful by CHOICE. We're not forced by it intially,if people dislike it or dont turn their heads to it,then we will stall it back.**** yeah, DIMOKRACIIIII !!!!

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

And shit just started hitting the fan:

Minecraft developer Notch cancels Oculus VR version of game after Facebook acquisition

I wonder who will be next.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@treedoor said:
@Desmonic said:

Rhetoric much?

Learn to read. I'm not against using the tech from Oculus and apply it for loads of other stuff. I'm against making Oculus (the device we have now) a "jack of all trades" with no actual need for it. Movies (usually) play at 24fps. TV shows too(? dunno about these, just assuming here). A regular game on PC usually plays in between 30-60fps (assuming the dev doesn't suck / the user has a decent rig). The team at OR say that the best experience is actually achieved with 90fps.

Do you see the issue here? Do you see why it'll be a mess to make the current OR a jack of all trades when it has to cater to so many different configurations (and possibly even input sources; ie PC's, TV's, etc)? Even if they eventually make it work, it would be a step back without any actual need for it. It's easy for a user to manually tweek a game's configuration to make it have more fps, not so much with other media...

It'll be much easier to take the concept and tech from OR and make a different device (fully) focused on other media, which is what I'm hoping happens. Assuming of course the management from FB doesn't decide to f*ck things up on a whim...

Have you ever noticed that your TV/monitor is quite capable of displaying movies that run at 24fps (which I don't think newer movies do), and video games at 60fps?

You don't have to buy a 24fps TV to watch movies, and a 60fps TV to play PC games, and a 30fps TV to play console games. You just buy one single TV, and it does it all.

Why do you think the OR would be designed in such a way that it can't also do this?

Lol might as well drop it with this guy. Extremely closed minded.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

@CroidX said:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-the-rift-headset-for-around-2b-in-cash-and-stock/

Zuckerberg says that their efforts with Oculus will continue to focus on gaming initially, and that the company will continue to operate independently of Facebook. But after gaming, Zuckerberg says, they’re going to expand into a variety of other arenas.

“After games, we’re going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home,” he says. “This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

Sounds awesome. I want to jack of all trade for this.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Wow.

I feel like Mark Zuckerberg is just bored so he just buys random shit that pops up in the news

We should all be trying to sell ideas to facebook :P

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheFadeForever

@Desmonic:

FB exclusive VR devices? That's a pointless idea that's why we don't have phones and pc that only do one specific thing.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#86 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Well that blows. All my hype went down the drain. So sad.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I don't expect this to change Oculus. Zuckerberg seems committed to them still focusing on games and he said they'll still run independently.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:
@The
@NFJSupreme said:

Well this ups the profile of the occulus rift

But downgrades my interest.

I don't feel any type of way about this. I understand these days everyone has an emotional reaction to every single announcement but honestly what is so terrible about this? It's still being developed for games and once that is established as viable it will be developed for other things. This was going to happen any way whether facebook bought it or not. Do you really think VR is all about games? Even Sony has said that it's not. The world doesn't revolve around gaming and if the occulus was only about gaming it would inevitably fail. Now it has some serious backing and it's future looks better because of it. A lot of companies were interested in it. Facebook just pulled the trigger as they are trying to move to other forms of revenue beside their cash cow. Let's just wait and see how this turns out before we all nerd rage.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

This is going to be awesome. Maybe Sony can follow suite and use their VR for Playstation Home since this whole VR thing is officially dead.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By TheFadeForever

@Desmonic:

You talk about things that have yet to be done on Oculus Rift VR or devices that are not even in existent and seem to forget Sony VR has potential to do other things besides gaming. Like Sony isn't exploring other possibilities with its VR lol

http://www.psnation.com/2014/03/19/movies-and-nasa-coming-to-sony-headset/

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Something tells me this is somehow related with this:

So, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and Ashton Kutcher walk into an artificial intelligence firm. That's not the beginning of a joke—all three tech heavyweights have reportedly invested a joint $40 million in Vicarious FPC.

This marks the second major cash flow in two years for the AI company, which is building learning software that mirrors the computational capabilities of the human brain.

I remember that. They are pretty shady, not saying what they are doing etc.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TheFadeForever

@Desmonic:

So all that hype for the Sony VR all for nothing if they don't make it pretty lame on Sony part just to show it off if they might not make it.

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

what....the fucking....****....

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

sigh I guess console VR is the only future for VR.....so its fucked before it started