wat

wat

wat

wat

Wat?!

#2 Posted by lostrib (37020 posts) -

shit

#3 Posted by syztem (7703 posts) -

Just when I thought Carmack was going to go in and make VR relevant...

#4 Posted by hoosier7 (3826 posts) -

Two billion dollars?! Jesus...

#5 Edited by cainetao11 (17594 posts) -

Didn't expect it to be FB but did anyone believe this wouldn't get bought up by a giant? And FB have nothing but liquid capital.

#6 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@syztem said:

How does this prevent him from doing that?

#7 Posted by Couth_ (10128 posts) -

Lol inb4 ads in the rift

#8 Posted by syztem (7703 posts) -

@treedoor said:

@syztem said:

I don't consider social media "relevant."

#9 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@lostrib said:

shit

My thoughts exactly

#10 Edited by Desmonic (14105 posts) -

What!? SERIOUSLY!? WOW! Why!? :O

Oh man, I hope they don't f*ck this up now! Facebook of all the companies... I fear what they may have in mind for this project...

#11 Posted by mems_1224 (47147 posts) -

LOL OR is dead confirmed

#12 Edited by lglz1337 (3778 posts) -

the master race fails again hope gone ads welcome and digital friends in 3D

Morpheus the last hope

#13 Edited by tormentos (18131 posts) -

Farmville VR....

#14 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@syztem said:

@treedoor said:

@syztem said:

I don't consider social media "relevant."

So because Facebook bought Oculus Rift do you assume it's going to be used solely to put people in virtual Farmville worlds or something?

#15 Posted by Spartan070 (16352 posts) -

Project Morpheus officially >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oculus Candy Crush Edition now.

#16 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4664 posts) -

holy sh%t. vr is the future people, facebook have enough money to ensure it is

this just come out of nowhere

#17 Posted by Syn_Valence (1350 posts) -

Hermits cry more, morpheus wins by default

#18 Posted by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

the master race fails again hope gone ads welcome and digital friends in 3D

Morpheus the last hope

lol Morpheus

#19 Posted by Netret0120 (2159 posts) -

Oh Crapo_O

#20 Posted by CroidX (1119 posts) -

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-the-rift-headset-for-around-2b-in-cash-and-stock/

Zuckerberg says that their efforts with Oculus will continue to focus on gaming initially, and that the company will continue to operate independently of Facebook. But after gaming, Zuckerberg says, they’re going to expand into a variety of other arenas.

“After games, we’re going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home,” he says. “This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

#21 Posted by lglz1337 (3778 posts) -

@MonsieurX: don't hate reviews are great

#22 Posted by lglz1337 (3778 posts) -

@CroidX: yes yes games facebook mini games hurray.... NOT

#23 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9477 posts) -

#24 Posted by Daious (1295 posts) -

How is this a bad thing?

Much more money will be poured into it. Tons more ads for the product which will lead to higher adoption rate. higher adoption rate = more developer focus.

This is huge.

#25 Edited by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@Syn_Valence:

lol you mean the Sony VR that theoretically can only play games that can be run on the ps3 at 60fps without lag.

#26 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@CroidX said:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-the-rift-headset-for-around-2b-in-cash-and-stock/

Zuckerberg says that their efforts with Oculus will continue to focus on gaming initially, and that the company will continue to operate independently of Facebook. But after gaming, Zuckerberg says, they’re going to expand into a variety of other arenas.

“After games, we’re going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home,” he says. “This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

I remember when Oculus Rift first came out I talked to a bunch of my friends about the possibilities outside of gaming.

It's gonna be awesome.

#27 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Long live faceboo... I mean Oculus. Well at least there's Morpheus.

#28 Edited by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@lglz1337:

lol are you willing to beat on that? Why would they bother to even put them on the VR

#29 Posted by Desmonic (14105 posts) -

@CroidX said:

Well...crap...there goes the continuos and focused support for gaming. It's one thing to make a super focused gaming VR device and it's a completely different thing to make a "jack of all trades" for different types of media and/or uses.

The Oculus works because it is focused only on gaming. Nothing less, nothing more. The moment it needs to start focusing on other stuff it'll lose that specific edge.

Unless they are willing to make different devices; as in keep the Oculus we know and love solely for gaming and create others based on the same overall tech for different purposes.

We'll have to wait, but already I'm not too excited about this message...still I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt I suppose...

#30 Posted by bfmv2007 (289 posts) -

Hey look, we have the future of gaming in our hands. aaaaand we sold out to facebook, a company who could give a s**t less about games.

#31 Edited by Couth_ (10128 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

The Oculus works because it is focused only on gaming. Nothing less, nothing more. The moment it needs to start focusing on other stuff it'll lose that specific edge.

What? This was always the plan for VR including occulus. Even the Sony headsets always touted movies and other uses.. This whole classroom and courtside sports thing is YEARS away but Rift was the catalyst to all that

Saying Occulus should be limited to games is like saying you should have one TV for games, another for cable, another for movies.. That's stupid. It's always been an all in one device

#32 Edited by clyde46 (46294 posts) -
@CroidX said:

Sounds like a not-shit version of Playstation Home.

#33 Posted by Obviously_Right (5096 posts) -

LOOOOOOOOOOL RIP Oculus

Morpheus here I come.

#34 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Well...crap...there goes the continuos and focused support for gaming. It's one thing to make a super focused gaming VR device and it's a completely different thing to make a "jack of all trades" for different types of media and/or uses.

Unless they are willing to make different devices; as in keep the Oculus we know and love solely for gaming and create others based on the same overall tech for different purposes.

We'll have to wait, but already I'm not too excited about this message...still I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt I suppose...

Why would the Oculus Rift have to change its design to support other mediums?

#35 Posted by Zassimick (6556 posts) -

Did not see this coming.

#36 Posted by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@Desmonic:

Branching off does not mean it will stop them from continuing supporting it as primary gaming platform. Not sure why expanding the use of the VR is bad when it has potential to do a lot more.

#37 Posted by lglz1337 (3778 posts) -

don't worry hermits you wiil see your friends in 3D

#38 Edited by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@Obviously_Right:

What so being bought by facebook is a bad thing Zach said Oculus will still be focus on gaming

#39 Posted by tormentos (18131 posts) -

@CroidX said:

@Syn_Valence:

lol you mean the Sony VR that theoretically can only play games that can be run on the ps3 at 60fps without lag.

VR isn't about graphics is about immersion..

Also don't take Carmack serious on this he works for VR,hell you already heard Mark Zuckerberg say the bough the best VR tech..lol

#40 Posted by Desmonic (14105 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@Desmonic said:

What? This was always the plan for VR including occulus. Even the Sony headsets always touted movies and other uses.. This whole classroom and courtside sports thing is YEARS away but Rift was the catalyst to all that

I'm not talking about years in the future. For all I know the tech 5 years from now will allow for awesome VR (or not) on stuff as compact as Google Glass.

However I'm talking about what we have now and in the near future (as in the next 12 months at most). From this perspective, the Oculus works as well as it does now due to focusing only on gaming. It's tailored solely for gaming, nothing else.

I can see the tech in Oculus being used for different ends, I cannot see Oculus itself being used for other stuff as that more than likely require different settings/setups in the device itself, thus (as I already explained in the post you quoted) more than likely losing it's focus (which is the risk any multipurpose device always face, not matter how bad or good the device is).

As for the Sony headsets, yes they tout movies but they have separate devices. Morpheus is not the same as their movie focused headset (even if it uses similar tech).

#41 Edited by bobbetybob (19276 posts) -

Wow, this is just...strange.

I had two REALLY different gut reactions to this, one is: WHAT THE GOD DAMN FUCK ARE YOU DOING???

The other is: Well...actually Facebook has a shit ton of money and that can only be good IF they don't interfere too much with current plans, which they say they won't.

I suppose it seems weirder because all of Facebooks acquisitions so far have been more or less in line with what you'd expect, social media stuff, photo applications, that kind of thing.

#42 Edited by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@lglz1337:

Oh yea have fun with Morpheus so where's all its killer game support maybe it could run games like the likes of Knack

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (57726 posts) -

Fuck. This. World.

The future of PC gaming now belongs to Facebook, who believe 'mobile gaming is the future.'

I will cut a bitch.

#44 Posted by Desmonic (14105 posts) -

@treedoor: Read my other post (not feeling like copy-pasting all of it again :P ).

@CroidX said:

@Desmonic:

Branching off does not mean it will stop them from continuing supporting it as primary gaming platform. Not sure why expanding the use of the VR is bad when it has potential to do a lot more.

Same as above, read my other post. Also it's not bad to expand, it's bad to take a focused device and make it multipurpose for no reason. If they make different devices then it's all good.

#45 Posted by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@tormentos:

So basically Sony VR will be limited in games sure maybe some immerse last gen looking game . FB bought the best and somehow its a bad thing and they already said it will work independently from facebook.

#46 Edited by Couth_ (10128 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Couth_ said:

@Desmonic said:

I'm not talking about years in the future. For all I know the tech 5 years from now will allow for awesome VR (or not) on stuff as compact as Google Glass.

However I'm talking about what we have now and in the near future (as in the next 12 months at most). From this perspective, the Oculus works as well as it does now due to focusing only on gaming. It's tailored solely for gaming, nothing else.

I can see the tech in Oculus being used for different ends, I cannot see Oculus itself being used for other stuff as that more than likely require different settings/setups in the device itself, thus (as I already explained in the post you quoted) more than likely losing it's focus (which is the risk any multipurpose device always face, not matter how bad or good the device is).

As for the Sony headsets, yes they tout movies but they have separate devices. Morpheus is not the same as their movie focused headset (even if it uses similar tech).

And the quote clearly says they will continue to focus only on gaming initially.. The Rift is open source. They just make the device and drivers and literally anyone can use it for anything after that whether you like it or not lol

If they wanted it to be only for games they would have made it closed source

#47 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Fuck. This. World.

The future of PC gaming now belongs to Facebook, who believe 'mobile gaming is the future.'

I will cut a bitch.

Yes, and obviously the Oculus Rift will be used to play Flappy Bird, and the tech will stop being developed for use in the $20 billion dollar PC industry.

#48 Edited by _Matt_ (8911 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Fuck. This. World.

I will cut a bitch.

I second this....

and third.

and fourth....

#49 Edited by CroidX (1119 posts) -

@Desmonic:

Zack said Oculu Rift will operate independently from facebook they aren't oblige to focus on other things. They have yet to focus on anything else and like Zack said its not a priority.

#50 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (617 posts) -

Well I think I just lost interest in this device. I'm not a fan of Facebook and how they do business, so I'll wait for a competitor to come out with an equivalent or better version hopefully by then they will be far better then what they have now. This news literally made do a double take which is rare. Sucks to see this go to a company that I wont do business with.