Facebook buying Oculus a boost for Morpheus?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Source

Why would Sony be relieved by this development? Because if Oculus was going to be bought by anyone, Facebook isn't a bad option at all. Facebook doesn't compete directly with Sony - in fact, it's probably quite happy to work with Sony. Sony doesn't want to make money from social advertising, while Facebook's interest in making money from games is fairly marginal at best. Facebook's money backing Oculus makes the contest between Rift and Morpheus even more interesting, but doesn't change the playing field all that much. What Sony feared, no doubt, was that Oculus would be acquired by a much more aggressive partner - again, the pair mentioned above, Microsoft and Valve, would be top of the list.

It's tempting to go a little further with this line of argument and say that Oculus has just handed a competitive advantage to Sony by seriously annoying its most loyal fans and supporters. Many will point out the correspondance between these events and those that transpired between Sony and Microsoft last year, when Microsoft's poor messaging and manoeuvring handed an enormous competitive advantage to PS4 without Sony really having to lift a finger. Oculus becoming part of Facebook - a company deeply disliked by plenty of core gamers - could be portrayed in a similar light, as a "betrayal" of those supporters which will drive them into Sony's camp. After all, whatever failings Sony may have, Project Morpheus has been presented to the world as a project firmly based within the Sony Computer Entertainment division and thus entirely focused on games. Just as Microsoft's incessant blather about television and other media made the early adopter audience feel like Xbox One was out of touch with their desires, Oculus' purchase by Facebook opens it to lines of criticism about not really being about games.

Microsoft is working on something to do with VR, while Valve is thought to have all manner of experimentation going on, involving everything from wearable computing devices to VR.Nonetheless, either of these firms would see a major leap forward in their efforts from an acquisition of Oculus. A high-profile entry into VR could finally justify the Xbox One's albatross, Kinect, since the device stands to come into its own as a controller for VR experiences; finally, a use that core gamers can get behind. Valve, meanwhile, would have been the most straightforward marriage for Oculus, as the company which has become the de facto platform holder for PC gaming took charge of the most exciting PC gaming peripheral in years.

Either of those deals would have given Sony serious pause for thought, potentially even leading to a change in strategy or approach for Morpheus. Neither of those deals actually happened, though. We're still left wondering what Microsoft and Valve are up to in this field, but barring a truly shocking announcement (and neither firm is given to Apple-style "here's our new product, and it's out tomorrow" unveilings) it looks like Oculus and Sony remain frontrunners. Only one of those is a platform holder with enormous engineering, manufacturing and game development resources at its fingertips.

Led by Minecraft creator Notch, a small band of indies have announced their withdrawal from Oculus Rift development since the FB deal. Oculus will no doubt be working to make this withdrawal temporary. If Sony's developer relations team isn't also working furiously to bring some projects exclusively to Morpheus while this upheaval is ongoing, they're missing a trick - and I don't get the impression that Sony's impressive third-party relations team has missed very many tricks over the past year or two.

Discuss

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Facebook being involved puts a "unknown" into the mix. Sony you can pretty much predict what the VR is going to do down the line. Facebook could have Candy Crush spam with the blink of every eye. Who knows?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

No, I can see 2 events occuring from the general acquisition:

• VR in general will receive a massive boost in awareness and hype due to Oculus being advertised more. This will help Morpheus
  • Oculus wil receive far more R&D and development funding, and will become the definitive VR. This will nerf Morpheus
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

No, I can see 2 events occuring from the general acquisition:

• VR in general will receive a massive boost in awareness and hype due to Oculus being advertised more. This will help Morpheus
  • Oculus wil receive far more R&D and development funding, and will become the definitive VR. This will nerf Morpheus

this ^^

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

It's a bit double edged sword. This practically guarantees that Morpheus won't win VR war as it no longer has to compete with small start up.

On the other hand, Rift will raise awerness of VR and help to develop more games, some of which will be ported to PS4. So while Morpheus most likely won't come on top, it will objectively still propably do better than if Rift would remain independent.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think anyone against Facebook are little kids who no nothing and just want to argue it.

$400 million says that The Rift will come on so much more and the pressure is eased a little knowing that they have the money for pretty much anything, this will in turn allow us to have the gaming experience they are offering for starters and then VR will end up ruling many things, I mean could you imagine the possibilities which were over looked, think about the way you could shop through VR, picking up the items you'd like and looking at them, their is a whole different side to VR which many gamers don't seem to realize.

Plus Zuckerburg has even said he just giving them money to do it, and leave them to it, maybe he is a gamer himself and loves the idea I mean, he can do what he wants, he has the money.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Is there anybody willing to give Morpheus two billions ? No ?

Then here´s your answer.

People are supporting OR because it is a very promissing open-platform VR for PC. They give a damn about Sony´s VR as it´s only compatible with PS4.

The only boost for Morpheus would be a general increase of awareness about VR. After all, it is not Sony who got a 2 billion investment.

Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mind_Mover
Member since 2005 • 1489 Posts

@bezza2011: I think anyone who uses facebook are dumb fucks, just like Zuckerberg himself said so, lol @ you

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bezza2011

@Mind_Mover said:

@bezza2011: I think anyone who uses facebook are dumb fucks, just like Zuckerberg himself said so, lol @ you

How?? it's a free social media site, it's FREE, so how is anyone dumb who uses it, a way to keep in touch with family and friends and i'm the dumb f**k, well played mate, *claps* look at you the big man

Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mind_Mover
Member since 2005 • 1489 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@Mind_Mover said:

How?? it's a free social media site, it's FREE, so how is anyone dumb who uses it, a way to keep in touch with family and friends and i'm the dumb f**k, well played mate, *claps* look at you the big man

The ceo of facebook even said dumb fucks, so excuse me if i'm against facebook and being called a "little kid" for having a little dignity.

It's not free dude, you are the product.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Its a boost to all of VR, more than 425 million active users now know or will soon know about and potentially be new interest in Oculus as well as other forms of VR.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I just wanna know why they bought and what they are planning to do.

Im sure they wont interfere with what Oculus is original aiming for, but they must have a plan for it other than the original plan of being a gadget for gaming PC.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bezza2011

@Mind_Mover said:

@bezza2011 said:

@Mind_Mover said:

The ceo of facebook even said dumb fucks, so excuse me if i'm against facebook and being called a "little kid" for having a little dignity.

It's not free dude, you are the product.

what it is free, I go on there I see what my friends and family have been up to I come off, you get a little bit of advertisement at the side and that's it, it's up to you if you want to put all your dirty laundry on it, so i'm not sure how you can come across and say it's not free

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@Mind_Mover said:

I agree, you are a dumb **** for using facebook.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bezza2011

@k--m--k said:

@bezza2011 said:

@Mind_Mover said:

I agree, you are a dumb **** for using facebook.

Yes I am a dumb **** for using Facebook to keep in touch with my family, while oversea's fighting for you dumb fucks. Who say dumb shit on the internet, calling a person dumb because he wants to keep in touch with his daughter, and like millions of other people, unlike you who probably sits in front a computer screen with no friends except internet buddies and slag people off.

you both need to be banned to be fair, for personally attacking someone

mods

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

A successful Oculus is certainly a boon for Morpheus. If OR takes off will drive more VR development, both from major and independent developers. Sony has great relationships with both, and from all reports porting OR software to the Morpheus is fairly simple to do.

While the OR can survive on mods for existing software and niche experiences, Sony has made it perfectly clear they want full games made specifically for VR, and while they have internal studios to help they can't fuel enough content to drive adoption alone. Morpheus can only benefit from having a second VR system similar in style to itself to help get studios willing to produce the content that gives these funny little goggles the "killer app" that'll get mainstream gamers to part with what'll likely be a large sum of cash.