Face Off: Borderlands The Handsome Collection

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-borderlands-the-handsome-collection-face-off

Indeed, the experience comes across as quite uneven across both consoles: impressive PC quality visuals are joined by highly variable performance that fails to deliver locked 60fps gameplay when and where it matters the most.

The positive news is that the Handsome Collection hands in native 1080p visuals across PS4 and Xbox One on both titles, featuring image quality in line with the PC version operating with post-process anti-aliasing.

Taking a closer look at the game reveals that both console versions of the Handsome Collection are a match for the PC game running on the highest settings, minus the use of the Nvidia-powered PhysX effects and with a more constricted field of view that restricts the amount of visibility on offer.

The viewpoint on consoles is clearly more restrained, making smaller corridors feel a little more claustrophobic, where the scope and complexity of the stylised environments is better realised. Reducing the FOV option down to 70 on PC delivers a close match to the PS4 and Xbox One releases, though it's not possible to adjust this setting on consoles.

Texture filtering is also particularly impressive for a current-gen console game, with both PS4 and Xbox One using 16x anisotropic filtering - or something close to it.

Borderlands attempts to deliver a top-end 60fps experience on PS4 and Xbox One, but gameplay is frequently compromised with heavy frame-rate drops and regular screen tearing - issues that are more prevalent in the Pre-Sequel.

Borderlands: the Handsome Collection - the Digital Foundry verdict

Borderlands' gunplay, humorous dialogue and intense action is as entertaining as ever, and in many ways this is a clear upgrade over the last-gen console versions of the game. Full HD resolution certainly helps the stylish artwork to stand out more strongly, while higher frame-rates make aiming and shooting feel noticeably smoother too. Unfortunately, overall performance is extremely variable across both consoles, with the experience feeling especially compromised during those intense gunfights that define what Borderlands is all about - shooting and looting. Both consoles struggle to keep things running consistently at 60fps, though it is the Xbox One game that comes off worse for wear owing to the heavier bouts of screen tear.

It's a shame that significant issues mar the experience because the Handsome Collection on the PS4 and Xbox One has a lot going for it. For example, it's possible to transfer save files from last-gen systems over to PS4 and Xbox One, allowing players to continue with all their loot and progress intact. It's a beautiful feature, though the content transfer is locked to Sony and Microsoft's ecosystems, so it's only possible to transfer data between PS3 and PS4 or Xbox 360 and Xbox One. If you're one of the many 360 owners to transition across to PS4 (or indeed from PS3 to Xbox One), you're out of luck.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Shame, but I doubt they'll be more of an issue for me, seeing as I played the Vita version happily enough.

I wish I could just get the Pre-Sequel, I have Borderlands 2 pretty well done on Vita and PS3 and don't want to upgrade for DLC alone.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@360ru13r: You do, going by the fact that you clicked on the thread and bothered to go fetch and post a pic

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

PS4 remaster look better than PC on high settings

cuz the developer goes back an upgrades the graphics an textures

the PC is just how it was when it came out

so technically PS4 wins cuz like

its just like FF7 remaster on PS4 its gonna be "the best version" cuz square is going back an bumping up stuff

when a developer goes back an remasters it its superior to a pc version don't have that new stuff in it even on high settings etc from b4

pc NEEDS the remaster or its just no longer the best anymore

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ProtossX said:

its just like FF7 remaster on PS4 its gonna be "the best version" cuz s

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

@deadline-zero0 point taken. But honesty I did stop reading after the first paragraph. I got bored and decided to post the pic.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-borderlands-the-handsome-collection-face-off

Indeed, the experience comes across as quite uneven across both consoles: impressive PC quality visuals are joined by highly variable performance that fails to deliver locked 60fps gameplay when and where it matters the most.

The positive news is that the Handsome Collection hands in native 1080p visuals across PS4 and Xbox One on both titles, featuring image quality in line with the PC version operating with post-process anti-aliasing.

Taking a closer look at the game reveals that both console versions of the Handsome Collection are a match for the PC game running on the highest settings, minus the use of the Nvidia-powered PhysX effects and with a more constricted field of view that restricts the amount of visibility on offer.

The viewpoint on consoles is clearly more restrained, making smaller corridors feel a little more claustrophobic, where the scope and complexity of the stylised environments is better realised. Reducing the FOV option down to 70 on PC delivers a close match to the PS4 and Xbox One releases, though it's not possible to adjust this setting on consoles.

Texture filtering is also particularly impressive for a current-gen console game, with both PS4 and Xbox One using 16x anisotropic filtering - or something close to it.

Borderlands attempts to deliver a top-end 60fps experience on PS4 and Xbox One, but gameplay is frequently compromised with heavy frame-rate drops and regular screen tearing - issues that are more prevalent in the Pre-Sequel.

Borderlands: the Handsome Collection - the Digital Foundry verdict

Borderlands' gunplay, humorous dialogue and intense action is as entertaining as ever, and in many ways this is a clear upgrade over the last-gen console versions of the game. Full HD resolution certainly helps the stylish artwork to stand out more strongly, while higher frame-rates make aiming and shooting feel noticeably smoother too. Unfortunately, overall performance is extremely variable across both consoles, with the experience feeling especially compromised during those intense gunfights that define what Borderlands is all about - shooting and looting. Both consoles struggle to keep things running consistently at 60fps, though it is the Xbox One game that comes off worse for wear owing to the heavier bouts of screen tear.

It's a shame that significant issues mar the experience because the Handsome Collection on the PS4 and Xbox One has a lot going for it. For example, it's possible to transfer save files from last-gen systems over to PS4 and Xbox One, allowing players to continue with all their loot and progress intact. It's a beautiful feature, though the content transfer is locked to Sony and Microsoft's ecosystems, so it's only possible to transfer data between PS3 and PS4 or Xbox 360 and Xbox One. If you're one of the many 360 owners to transition across to PS4 (or indeed from PS3 to Xbox One), you're out of luck.

hahaha no physx, ridiculous.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

I wont buy any GearBox games after the Aliens game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Do you honestly think this framerate is because of the consoles capabilities?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossX what a bunch of crap, are you even trying anymore?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DEadliNE-Zero0

@Chozofication said:

It's just playfull banter. Fine, i'll remove it

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProtossX

im not paying 60 dollars for this is all im saying

if it was 20 dollars id look into it

im not paying 60 for an old ass game

it feels like 20 dollar remaster to me

Halo MCC felt like a 60 dollar remaster

and God of War 3 seems like 30 dollar remaster

i do my math in my own damn head how much a remaster should cost this one im feeling 20 even with the 2 games you get with it thats just my opinion tho others might have a diff one its all preferences

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

Ef this, up the BL2 level cap to 100 on 360...smh.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Thinking of picking this up. I enjoyed 2 (for all its sins, such as bad writing) and I haven't played Pre-Sequel.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Chozofication said:

It's just playfull banter. Fine, i'll remove it

Should have put "lol remasters" :P

They want to charge $60 for something that can drop nearly 30fps for no damn reason and with tearing on XB1 to boot.. that is just poor optimization.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Another cash grab.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

This is really interesting thread zero0, but the thing is, Handsome Collection wasn't build from the ground up on the current-gen consoles in mind so this is just a lazy port which is why the framerates on these consoles suffer worst. TLOU: Remastered also faces this problem as well when ND port it from PS3 to PS4 and 60fps wasn't lock at all. There was constaint framerate drops and ND even stated that porting it to PS4 was not easy so seeing as Gearbox porting Borderlands The Handsome Collection to Xbox One/PS4 is not a surprising since this is a cash-grab. I'm also expecting issues when GoW3 comes to PS4.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#20 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Blabadon: picked this up when I got bloodborne. Looks amazing and feels smooth

Coming from the vita and ps3 versions, the frame rate is amazing, of course I usually don't notice such things unless it gets to slides how levels.

Uploaded my level 19 vita character and had a blast playing coop with my son.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@Midnightshade29: You been playing the Pre-Sequel or 2?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Always mucking about with the 60FPS.

I don't care for the franchise, but at least they were nice enough to put in more games.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

When Borderlands 2 was released it was running at 1920x1080 at 60FPS on a mid range GPU from 2010-2011.

Well done "next gen".

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

When Borderlands 2 was released it was running at 1920x1080 at 60FPS on a mid range GPU from 2010-2011.

Well done "next gen".

What were you expecting? 4K? It's not like this collection is maxing the capabilities of these consoles out.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Well done "next gen".

What were you expecting? 4K? It's not like this collection is maxing the capabilities of these consoles out.

I wasn't expecting anything.

I am simply pointing out that Borderlands 2 running at 60FPS is not a achievement.

Performance is linear and these console are clearly CPU bottlenecked POS with mid range GPU's from 2011... 1920x1080 at 60FPS is pretty much only going to happen with games like borderlands.

There's no magical console optimisation developers just lower settings and resolution or settle for 30FPS. Maxing out the capabilities... PLEASE that happened on launch with BF4 40-50FPS 720/900p.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BobRossPerm
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Well done "next gen".

I am simply pointing out that Borderlands 2 running at 60FPS is not a achievement.

Performance is linear and these console are clearly CPU bottlenecked POS with mid range GPU's from 2011... 1920x1080 at 60FPS is pretty much only going to happen with games like borderlands.

There's no magical console optimisation developers just lower settings and resolution or settle for 30FPS. Maxing out the capabilities... PLEASE that happened on launch with BF4 40-50FPS 720/900p.

How do you know that? Please enlighten me with this hidden knowledge you seem to possess.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Well done "next gen".

The PS4 GPU wasn't even mid range in 2011,the xbox one even less.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Well done "next gen".

How do you know that? Please enlighten me with this hidden knowledge you seem to possess.

Proof:

The Witcher 3

• PS4 1080p
  • X1 900p

After a few months more of development...

• PS4 900p
  • X1 720p

Console optimisation!

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BobRossPerm
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Well done "next gen".

Proof:

The Witcher 3

• PS4 1080p
  • X1 900p

• PS4 900p
  • X1 720p

Console optimisation!

Proof otherwise:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/03/30/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-gets-more-info-on-differences-between-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-version-directx-12-implementation-and-more/

Twitter User 1 - "1 more question Damien, PS4 = what PC settings?"

Witcher 3 Dev - "mmm high i would say. Hard to say without side by side but Ive been known to confuse pc and ps4 in the past."

A moment later...

Twitter User 2 - "I'm now worried about the xbox version after that comment (version Im getting). I know it's the weakest. Footage to be shown?"

Witcher 3 Dev - "It's fine - is just the resolution really. 900 vs 1080p for ps4. The game is the same."

That was posted 17 hours ago bro. Have that seat.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Well done "next gen".

Proof:

The Witcher 3

• PS4 1080p
  • X1 900p

• PS4 900p
  • X1 720p

Console optimisation!

Proof otherwise:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/03/30/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-gets-more-info-on-differences-between-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-version-directx-12-implementation-and-more/

Twitter User 1 - "1 more question Damien, PS4 = what PC settings?"

Witcher 3 Dev - "mmm high i would say. Hard to say without side by side but Ive been known to confuse pc and ps4 in the past."

A moment later...

Twitter User 2 - "I'm now worried about the xbox version after that comment (version Im getting). I know it's the weakest. Footage to be shown?"

Witcher 3 Dev - "It's fine - is just the resolution really. 900 vs 1080p for ps4. The game is the same."

That was posted 17 hours ago bro. Have that seat.

Prove's my point.

Developers are just tinkering with settings.

"Mmm High I would say"... Do you not get the picture yet?

I do the same... I lower my resolution I get more frame rate, I raise my resolution I have to lower my settings or use less AA.

That's not optimisation.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BobRossPerm
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Prove's my point.

I do the same... I lower my resolution I get more frame rate, I raise my resolution I have to lower my settings or use less AA.

That's not optimisation.

I don't get what you mean. What else would optimization be? What were you expecting it to mean? Magically adding a better GPU?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I would hope it runs this well. It's what we should be expecting.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DEadliNE-Zero0

@musicalmac said:

I would hope it runs this well. It's what we should be expecting.

sadly, it does not

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Prove's my point.

That's not optimisation.

I don't get what you mean. What else would optimization be? What were you expecting it to mean? Magically adding a better GPU?

Its a closed platform during development the developers can program the engine and game to fully utilize the power of that specific hardware.

Change settings is what the end user does on PC... Its not optimisation, optimisation comes in the form of driver updates and game patches but those are usually too little and too late for a poorly optimised game.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

These consoles continue to be a joke.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BobRossPerm
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Prove's my point.

That's not optimisation.

Its a closed platform during development the developers can program the engine and game to fully utilize the power of that specific hardware.

Change settings is what the end user does on PC... Its not optimisation, optimisation comes in the form of driver updates and game patches but those are usually too little and too late for a poorly optimised game.

You just said ''there's no magical optimization''. I assumed you meant performance algorithms what developers do during development. Because I'm pretty sure they do exist man.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ProtossX

@clyde46 said:

dude you don't know how a remaster works

go look at Halo Anniversary 1/2 and compare the textures an stuff THOSE are remasters

PC doesn't have the remastered textures and little added graphics and a team of devs going back an refining the game

all PC has is higher resolution and 60 FPS it didn't get the fully remastered experience of a dev team workin around the clock to remaster it

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

how the hell can't they handle these kind of crappy and outdated visuals WITHOUT physx and garbage 70fov? what is this shit?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

@ProtossX said:

@clyde46 said:

dude you don't know how a remaster works

go look at Halo Anniversary 1/2 and compare the textures an stuff THOSE are remasters

PC doesn't have the remastered textures and little added graphics and a team of devs going back an refining the game

all PC has is higher resolution and 60 FPS it didn't get the fully remastered experience of a dev team workin around the clock to remaster it

fake boy is fake

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@ProtossX said:

its just like FF7 remaster on PS4 its gonna be "the best version" cuz square is going back an bumping up stuff

when a developer goes back an remasters it its superior to a pc version don't have that new stuff in it even on high settings etc from b4

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........

Good one. You should do stand up.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Grey_Eyed_Elf
@bobrossperm said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

You just said ''there's no magical optimization''. I assumed you meant performance algorithms what developers do during development. Because I'm pretty sure they do exist man.

You know what... I'm just not going to go in circles with you about optimization.

My original post here was about the current generation being underpowered... You seem to think that this Borderlands isn't pushing the hardware. 40FPS dips on a easy to run game disagree's with you.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: The witcher 3 is 1080p on PS4 jackass.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@AM-Gamer said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: The witcher 3 is 1080p on PS4 jackass.

That's great buddy.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@ProtossX said:

WTF are you on?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ProtossX

@pelvist said:

@ProtossX said:

WTF are you on?

im saying that its entirely possible that a Remastered game on inferior hardware looks better than a regular game on the best hardware ever

thats what im saying

yes if both games are the same game pc wins every time but with the remaster they can add things and make it look better in some areas is all im trying to say thjats all im saying here sure it sounds stupid but think about it, it could be possible to maybe look better if they really go back an change some things in it like a suped up mod or something

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

@ProtossX said:

@pelvist said:

@ProtossX said:

WTF are you on?

im saying that its entirely possible that a Remastered game on inferior hardware looks better than a regular game on the best hardware ever

thats what im saying

yes if both games are the same game pc wins every time but with the remaster they can add things and make it look better in some areas is all im trying to say thjats all im saying here sure it sounds stupid but think about it, it could be possible to maybe look better if they really go back an change some things in it like a suped up mod or something

but that doesn't apply here

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DEadliNE-Zero0
@ProtossX said:

@ProtossX said:

im not paying 60 dollars for this is all im saying

if it was 20 dollars id look into it

im not paying 60 for an old ass game

it feels like 20 dollar remaster to me

Halo MCC felt like a 60 dollar remaster

and God of War 3 seems like 30 dollar remaster

i do my math in my own damn head how much a remaster should cost this one im feeling 20 even with the 2 games you get with it thats just my opinion tho others might have a diff one its all preferences

How many drugs have you taken?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Lol, DF, care to explain how the console versions are a match of PC on max settings, when they don't feature either vsync nor the Physx effects, nor the better AA available on PC, nor the better FOV?

So sad, these consoles can't even do a last gen game better than a low end gaming PC.

It's going to be a looooong gen.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@ProtossX said:

@pelvist said:

@ProtossX said:

WTF are you on?

thats what im saying

Yes its possible if they redid textures and whatever but they didnt. The OP highlighted in bold where DF say its not better than the PC version. Its the same as the PC version minus the PhysX Effects and it struggles to maintain 60fps on both consoles. That does not equate to better than the PC version.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Yeah, no. I'm calling bullshit on this since my brother purchased this damn game and I seen him play it. By your definition of better, it doesn't apply here by any means.

Game's nothing more than a cash grab honestly which is nothing new.

About your testimonials concerning the PC though, lolnope.