Face it. Blu-Ray is NEEDED! ***edited with new dev comments***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GatoFeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#151 GatoFeo
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts
:) I'am so happy right now.
eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#152 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Is needed for what? Storing a game on one disc? So, tell me; How is storing a game on one disc necessary?
BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 BrooklynBomber
Member since 2007 • 1507 Posts

its needed for sony's exclusives because they rely heavily on hd fmv, not because of the gaming content. it's not needed for 360 or wii games.Big_T-Mac

Epic disagrees with and they are a western dev who does not uses cgi and has one of the best game engines around. Does the unreal engine ring a bell ?? 

BrutonNYC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 BrutonNYC
Member since 2007 • 394 Posts

MS and Nintendo have been involved in the gaming biz a lot longer than SOny , so I couldn't care if Sony or some uneducated cow thinks it is needed.Fruity_Fantasy

Pot calling the kettle black much? 

ShmenonPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 ShmenonPie
Member since 2007 • 1117 Posts

It's good to finally see a well structured argument in favor of blue ray. I quess though, that games for PS3 will need the extra space more than xbox 360. For example most JRPG's have a lot of CGI cutscenes, and Sony wants their games in 1080p. These two things make a huge difference, and that's also why a huge game like mass effect WILL fit onto dvd9 - because it has ingame cutscenes and a normal resolution (yes I said it. I think it's better to put the extra effort into gameplay than some extra pixels for the few who can afford it). That said I think it's necessary for PS3, but for xbox 360 games not so. 11Marcel

But basically what you're saying, and lets just be clear you have a Halo pic as your icon, so you're no Sony fanboy, is that the 360 is inferior in quality of how games look because of disk space. Thak you, somebody sees sense!

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
Updated with new stuff.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
Im really surprised thsi thread has gone on this long.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
The irony is that Ps3 was delayed due to blu-ray and now with the high price tag due to blu-ray it will lose to the 360. If it didn't have it, it would probably be in first place at a $400 price tag.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts

Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|HeedleGlavin

Yeah, and Zelda TP is a GC game that runs in 480i with low resolution textures. :| 

winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts
what people also dont uderstand that a game in native HD resolution needs more space. Sure there are games on 360 that fit on a dvd but if they were in true HD they would NOT fit!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|TrueReligion_

Yeah, and Zelda TP is a GC game that runs in 480i with low resolution textures. :| 

Well, 480p technically, but the point still stands.  (or is that just the Wii version that's ws 480p?)
Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#162 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
if blu ray is needed meaning nothing else will work how come I was owning with curb stomps on Geow earlier? fission mailed
ElTioGamboin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 ElTioGamboin
Member since 2007 • 110 Posts

You might add this one too.

It is from Rockstar. 

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
It´s funny the ps3 hasn´t been out for a year and all the people that said blu ray wasn´t needed are already catching on, you can tell here at systems wars and all over the internet, you can even tell in the damage control, it isn´t ass agressive anymore =P in a couple of years it´ll be clear as water.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

Any multiplatform games on the PS3 will be written for DVD9, and it looks like a lot of games this generation will be multiplatform.  BluRay is only a factor for PS3 exclusives that require the extra space.  It'll be interesting to see how many games bigger than DVD9 are released and receive good scores.

Personally, I think it's odd to have a good sized HDD and a BluRay player.  If you can install gigs of data to the HDD, then do you really need to put everything on a single disc?  Plus, isn't the data like umpteen times faster to access from the HDD?

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 BrooklynBomber

It is from Rockstar.

ElTioGamboin

The damage control team is going to be working a double shift to clean that one up lmao. 

GatoFeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 GatoFeo
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts
This makes me happy...again. :)
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
who cares hdd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>blu ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dvd9
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

Any multiplatform games on the PS3 will be written for DVD9, and it looks like a lot of games this generation will be multiplatform.  BluRay is only a factor for PS3 exclusives that require the extra space.  It'll be interesting to see how many games bigger than DVD9 are released and receive good scores.

pc has more than dvd9 so 2 vs 1 platform which can support 50gb may hurt the 360

Personally, I think it's odd to have a good sized HDD and a BluRay player.  If you can install gigs of data to the HDD, then do you really need to put everything on a single disc?  Plus, isn't the data like umpteen times faster to access from the HDD?

Skie7
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#171 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Blu-ray being needed is very wishy washy. Though it does hold some facts. My favorite comment was the insomniac one...
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

this is an awsome thread

i love the damage control everywhere, its awsome

R-Dot-Yung

Agreed- still no rebuttals from actual developers. Just fanboys guessing with "well GameX does blah blah blah"...really, you're not a dev, shut up. 

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 BrooklynBomber
[QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]

this is an awsome thread

Vampyronight

Agreed- still no rebuttals from actual developers. Just fanboys guessing with "well GameX does blah blah blah"...really, you're not a dev, shut up.

Yea the damage control is insane from lemmings like they are devs spending the time to compress the software.

Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Squall_Griver
Member since 2006 • 3607 Posts

You wanna know why i think of why "Gamers think blu-ray isnt needed",Because two out of the three next gen consoles dont have it 2>1 so...sonys the only one using a next gen Disk Drive which makes them wrong because again the other two dont use it so sony MUST BE WRONG!.But you see theirs a big flaw here one thing no one catches.The wii is not next gen yes i said it,its actually new gen it dosent have any next gen graphix!! procezzors! it has a new type of gameplay because wii has last gen hardware  thus having DVD  :o!!! ,but 360 on the other hand,360 has that....

That precious DVD-9 they can only compress for soo long its a matter of time till it gets labeled "not enough memory",i back this up by showing how big Demos are tell me lemms how big was the demo for Armored core 4? it was ~1GB on PSN thats 1/9th of a DVD-9,3 robots 3 missions :| WITH OUT CUTSENCE! but yeah i leave you with one question
A)Will dvd-9's become limited this gen?
or
B)will blu-ray be useless this gen?
Im willing to bet that option A is correct
Because 1.Blu ray cant be useless with more space
And 2. Demo's are nearly one GIG!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Blu-Ray (or some other large storage format) will be needed in the future. The problem is, it wasn't needed right now. Why isn't it needed right now. Cost!!! The PS3 is $600 is still haven't sold over 3 million units worldwide. It's all because of having the Blu-Ray in the PS3. Of course the PS3 is suppose to be around for 8-10yrs, but the way it's selling, it may not make it to 3 years. Developers aren't going to continue to make games for a console that isn't selling well. Especially in Japan. Sony had a lot more 3rd party support with the PS2, during it's first year, then they do now. The other bad thing about Blu-Ray is it makes the cost of creating the game a lot higher. With a tough to program for system and developers taking more time to try and put more content on a Blu-Ray, that could a few millions more. Developers & publishers don't want that. If they can crank out Xbox 360 and Wii games in less then a year for 1/2 the cost of making it for the PS3, they are going to do that. Even more so when both the XBox 360 & Wii have over 7 million console in gamers homes. So there are downside to having Blu-Ray in their system right now. Of course 3-4 years from now when Blu-Ray is cheap, even M$ may put it in their next system. The system will probably still cost $400 or less too.
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

Skie7

Shhhhh!!! If you start bringing logic into this thread, the fanboys will kill you. Seriously though, I don't see why PS3 fanboys are still posting this garbage; we're all very aware that 50 > 9, but there are definitely holes in the argument that bluray is "needed":

1) Mass Effect had to be optimized to fit on one disc, so this is a strike against dvd? What would happen if Bioware released the game on TWO discs? The world would explode? C'mon guys, there's no problem with a 2 disc game (or even 3, or 4, as Final Fantasy VII and VIII would tell you ;)).

2) The PS3's bluray player is a piece of garbage. No, seriously. With read speeds slower than the 360's dvd drive, you're already losing part of what makes bluray so great. I agree that in the future bluray will be the way to go, but at the moment? Not so much. You're complaining about Mass Effect being optimized for one disc? How about Oblivion needing to be optimized for the PS3's bluray? Slow load times forced Bethesda to duplicate data all over the bluray disc (thus effectively eliminating some of the space advantage bluray has) and add a 3(?) gig install file to the PS3 harddrive. I don't know about you, but when devs have to work around bluray, that doesn't particularly give me confidence in the necessity of the format. Apparently they would've been just as well off with dvd. Isn't that ironic.

3) Kojima says he needs bluray? What a surprise. :roll: Even if that is true, does it seem like everyone else does, as well? This generation has kicked off pretty smoothly without taking much advantage of bluray (unless, of course, you don't like a single one of the Xbox 360's games), so it seems like most devs don't really need it at the moment. When we encounter 10 disc games, then we'll have problems, but until then, why complicate things? The bottom line is, is bluray a superior format? Of course; it came out years later than dvd--That's the way technology works. Is it being utilized right now? No. And since there's no proof that that's changing any time soon, maybe everyone should just wait a year or two, and then bring back this tired debate...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]

this is an awsome thread

Vampyronight

Dev may not be complaining about Blu-Ray, because they are instead complaining about how friggin impossible it is to program a game on the PS3 in less then 2 yrs. Wasn't Heaven Sword suppose to be a launch title? I thought FFXII and MGS4 was suppose to be out this year. Why the delay? Because programming on the PS3 using Sony's weak application software and tools are terrible. That's what the devs are complaining about. Should I find links for that? :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-608cb95043897
deactivated-608cb95043897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 deactivated-608cb95043897
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts

Did any of you anti-ps3 types ever think that maybe, just MAYBE, Sony thinks that Blu-Ray WILL be needed for proper gaming storage this gen, and that they're not just trying to screw everyone over? 

Sure they wanted to push their next-gen video format, and the ps3 gave them the perfect means to do so, but it DOES still help with gaming, and they knew that, which is why they figured they'd get away with sticking a BR drive in the ps3.

So, who can we look to for an answer for the great question, "Is Blu-Ray needed this generation?"

....the devs, and the devs have spoken. Blu-Ray IS needed.  To quote various developers that have developed for many platforms:

Mark Rein, VP of Epic Games, the developers of Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, and many other games, had this to say about Blu-Ray in an interview with computerandvideogames.com:

[QUOTE="Mark Rein"]Unreal Tournament was 6GB compressed. Next Generation games are going to be 20GB plus, and how we're going to fit them on DVD9's I don't know, they'll probably be a few of them. On the PS3, we're going to be using the majority of the space on those Blu-ray disks. makingmusic476

Julian Eggebrecht, of Factor 5, who are the developers of the great Star Wars Rogue Squardon games, andw who are currently developing their first title on a PLayStation platform, Lair, has this to say when questioned by IGN about the advantages of Blu-Ray:

The single level at TGS alone takes up 4 Gigabytes of data. We are using every ounce of that due to streaming of our textures. Sure you could chop them all down to tiny sizes and we would fit, but then again, it would not be the same game. In addition to all the textures and geometry, we also do have video on the disc, and all of that is in native 1080p resolution. Thanks to Blu-Ray we don't need to worry about that and can still fit the whole game on a single disk. Julian Eggebrecht

Brian Hastings, chief creative officer of Insomniac Games, the developers of the Ratchet & Clank series and Resistance: Fall of Man, had this to say about Blu-Ray in his blog "10 Reasons Why PS3 Will Win This Console Generation".  This also explains why Gears of War's singleplayer was so short and the game had so few multiplayer maps.  Maps take up space people!  Read it here:

If you ever hear someone say "Blu-Ray isn't needed for this generation," rest assured they don't make games for a living. At Insomniac, we were filling up DVDs on the PS2, as were most of the developers in the industry. We compressed the level data, we compressed the mpeg movies, we compressed the audio, and it was still a struggle to get it to fit in 6 gigs. Now we've got 16 times as much system RAM, so the level data is 16 times bigger. And the average disc space of games only gets bigger over a console's lifespan. As games get bigger, more advanced and more complex, they necessarily take up more space. If developers were filling up DVDs last generation, there are clearly going to be some sacrifices made to fit current generation games in the same amount of space.

Granted, some really great Xbox 360 games have squeezed onto a DVD9. Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine's ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM. It also means that you're going to chew up more disc space for each level. With streamed textures, streamed geometry and streamed audio, even with compression, you can quickly approach 1 GB of data per level. That inherently limits you to a maximum of about 7 levels, and that's without multiplayer levels or mpeg cutscenes.

Sometimes people ask us, "If Resistance takes 14 gigabytes, why doesn't it look better than Gears?" Well, for one, Resistance didn't support texture streaming, so we had to make choices about where we spent our high-res textures. Resistance also had 30 single-player chapters, six multiplayer maps, uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs. That all added up to a lot of space on the disc. Starting with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction we are supporting texture streaming, which will make the worlds look even better, and will also consume even more space on disc.

There's no question that you can always cut more levels, compress the audio more, compress the textures more, down-res the mpeg movies, and eventually get any game to fit on a DVD. But you paid for a high-def experience, right? You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? That's why Blu-Ray is important for games, and why it will become more important each year of this hardware cycle. Brian Hastings

Also, Casey Hudson, the project director overseeing Mass Effect, has said that the game originally would've never been able to fit on a sinlgle DVD9, but that through heavy optimization, they managed to fit the game on one disc.  How much of that time could've been spent working on the game itself, rather than working on how much space the game takes up?  How much did they cut from the game to get it on one disc?  How big will Mass Effect 2 be? Here's the quote:

During a Q&A update, project director Casey Hudson confirmed that Mass Effect "is a monstrous game. In fact, there was a time -- not too long ago -- when we pretty much scoffed at the idea of fitting onto one disc. But, there's an art to optimizing the data that goes on a disc"; Mass Effect will fit onto a single disc -- "but just barely."Joystiq interview with Casey Hudson

And here's a quote from Hideo Kojima, in reference to the fact that MGS4 is pushing the limits of a single-layered BD-rom, which holds 25gb of data, in comparison to a dual-layered BD-rom which can hold 50 gb of data.  This is due to his heavy use of uncompressed audio and other fancy things.  After all, this is the "HD Era":

Blu-Ray is to small for Metal Gear Solid 4.Hideo Kojima

And my final developer quote, is the controversial quote from David Jaffe, the director of the Twisted Metal and God of War series, that he made during "The Bonus Round" on Gametrailers.com.  He said that he personally would've left Blu-Ray out of the ps3, in an effort to make it cheaper, get it to market sooner, and garner more sales.  However, he also says that doing this most likely would screw him over inthe long run, as the storage space of Blu-Ray would most likely be needed:

This will bite me in the ass in four years, because it was probably a smart decision, but I probably would have taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money.David Jaffe

********************Edited to add more!********************

Also, it seems that Itagaki, the lead developer of Team Ninja, is also quite discontent with the use of DVD in the 360.  In an interview with Famitsu, he said that just the Dead or Alive 4 TRAILER would take 2gb of space in high definition, so think about how much space even a tiny cutscene between every level in a game could take up.  Here's some of what he said:

The screen resolution for Xbox 360 games will be in high definition, so the pre-rendered movies are going to be pretty large.  If we encoded the Dead or Alive 4 trailer from E3 in high definition in a quality acceptable to us, it will easily be about 2GB.  [...]  With DOA4, we'll be using the disc's capacity to its full extent. We started development on DOA4 pretty early, and we didn't know what disc format the Xbox 360 was going to adopt. So when we learned about it, we were really knocked out.

Itagaki

So, can anybody find a dev quote that says that Blu-Ray just isn't needed?

Nice Home Run with this topic TC

You took the words right from the Dev mouths now who in there right mind would argue with that...

The best post I have ever seen on this topic because you used the people that make the games very nice..

BrooklynBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 BrooklynBomber

I have yet to see any dev say we don't like blu-ray or dvd is enough all I hear is damage control from lems.

Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Squall_Griver
Member since 2006 • 3607 Posts
Blu-Ray (or some other large storage format) will be needed in the future. The problem is, it wasn't needed right now. Why isn't it needed right now. Cost!!! The PS3 is $600 is still haven't sold over 3 million units worldwide. It's all because of having the Blu-Ray in the PS3. Of course the PS3 is suppose to be around for 8-10yrs, but the way it's selling, it may not make it to 3 years. Developers aren't going to continue to make games for a console that isn't selling well. Especially in Japan. Sony had a lot more 3rd party support with the PS2, during it's first year, then they do now. The other bad thing about Blu-Ray is it makes the cost of creating the game a lot higher. With a tough to program for system and developers taking more time to try and put more content on a Blu-Ray, that could a few millions more. Developers & publishers don't want that. If they can crank out Xbox 360 and Wii games in less then a year for 1/2 the cost of making it for the PS3, they are going to do that. Even more so when both the XBox 360 & Wii have over 7 million console in gamers homes. So there are downside to having Blu-Ray in their system right now. Of course 3-4 years from now when Blu-Ray is cheap, even M$ may put it in their next system. The system will probably still cost $400 or less too. blackace

Let me break this down
"Blu-Ray (or some other large storage format) will be needed in the future. The problem is, it wasn't needed right now. Why isn't it needed right now. Cost!!! The PS3 is $600 is still haven't sold over 3 million units worldwide."

Cost?360 costs 400$ its not needed :| so is PS3 and wii,I just dont see how you can say Costs can make something needed or not needed and yes it has sold over 3 million units world wide

"but the way it's selling, it may not make it to 3 years. Developers aren't going to continue to make games for a console that isn't selling well. Especially in Japan"
Gundam MOusou when released in japan spiked the PS3 sales by 108% :| what do you think will happen once FF13 releases and MGS4 lets not forget KH3

"The other bad thing about Blu-Ray is it makes the cost of creating the game a lot higher. With a tough to program for system and developers taking more time to try and put more content on a Blu-Ray,"

your gonna have to get you facts right on that one its not Blu-ray they dont have to take advantage of it but they didnt have to take advantage of dvd's either,But any ways the cell processor makes development hard but hey Devs didnt want to make games for PS1 because it can do all that 3d stuff back then untill...they saw games in 3D,im not saying it will have the same effect but who knows what PS3 can put out when a game uses the cell to its fullest (oh and it was harder to devlop for PS2 than it is for PS3)

"can crank out Xbox 360 and Wii games in less then a year for 1/2 the cost of making it for the PS3, they are going to do that. Even more so when both the XBox 360 & Wii have over 7 million console in gamers homes. So there are downside to having Blu-Ray in their system right now. Of course 3-4 years from now when Blu-Ray is cheap, even M$ may put it in their next system. The system will probably still cost $400 or less too."

I dunno about less than a year more like 3 months but what ever,now when you said "there gonna do more with 360 & wii" i will  need a link for that claim but Blu-ray will be cheaper as time goes by PS3 will get cheaper as time goes by AND! more AAA games will come out later in its life
LinkOwnsYouAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 LinkOwnsYouAll
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
hehe this is a gr8 thread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 deactivated-61ff675e61178

Why do people always dig up old threads? Anywho...

It is from Rockstar. 

ElTioGamboin

I'm not going to add that one, because it is too vague.  It is unclear exactly what problems R* is having.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

The topic creator clone dug it up so people could read his stuff again, Thought a dev saying a thing really means nothing any more, Because we have sales and scores to back up dvd functionality.

*looks at the software, hardware sales for 360* hmmmmmm ;)

Oh by the way I own a ps3, I have 2 games for it motorstorm and resistance...i've yet to buy a blu ray movie for it cause no movies so far that I want have been released...so im not gonna pay 20-30 dollars for a movie for high def, when i can get 480p which is just fine, on dvd for 11 dollars.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Clone? What's that supposed to mean? :?
SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Some people can't stop and look more than a year or two ahead of them. But when your favorite console maker is known for short lifespans, why should you?makingmusic476
That's pretty low, yet so very true. :lol:

:lol:

indeed! 

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#186 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Blu-ray is needed for gaming becuse sony spent hundreds of millions developing it (Way before the PS3, 2002). Then by including into a piece of their own hardware that is projected to sell tens of millions of units, it can secure sony as the leader of the future HD media discs. As the succesor to DVD, sony is ensuring an unlimited stream of blu-ray royalties for the next 10 to 15 years. So, excluding compression technology and the fact that most people don't even know what 1080p is, Blu-ray might not be needed.
AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

LOL, I feel for all the console nerds.  My 360 will be retired in about 3 more years if it's lucky.  All this talk about BluRay being needed is so funny.  I can predict that there will be a few games, like around 5% of the games on the market that might absolutely need more than a DVD9 disk by 2010.  BluRay has killed any hope of a PS1,PS2 repeat by Sony.  Though I can see it helping out in about 3 to 4 years down the road, the PS3 will have lost a huge chunk of its market with this console.

As for a 360 or PS3, either of these gaming systems will be out of date for me soon enough.  Whether I had a 360 or PS3, 3 years from now I will be so disgusted with it's graphics, and my new updated PC will blow away any game from these systems and they will be hardly played.

I guess at least I can still use the 360 as a Media Center Hub though, a feature that I love.

So have fun with your horrible graphics in 2010, bluray and all.

Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts

For this generation, blu-ray will not be needed. The next generation, yes. Besides, if developers ever run out of 9 gigs of space, they can just put another disc in the package can't they? 

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#189 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
[QUOTE="Vampyronight"][QUOTE="R-Dot-Yung"]

this is an awsome thread

blackace

Dev may not be complaining about Blu-Ray, because they are instead complaining about how friggin impossible it is to program a game on the PS3 in less then 2 yrs. Wasn't Heaven Sword suppose to be a launch title? I thought FFXII and MGS4 was suppose to be out this year. Why the delay? Because programming on the PS3 using Sony's weak application software and tools are terrible. That's what the devs are complaining about. Should I find links for that? :lol:

So instead of debating the issue at hand (the necessity of Blu-ray), you decide to attack the way games have to be coded on the system.

Boy, you're a world class debater. Whenever you have no argument, just talk about something else. That ALWAYS wins the debate. 

judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts
Dunno if it got answered but PS1 cd's held about 650-700mb. They were normal cds just black and better protected I think.
e20Dylan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 e20Dylan
Member since 2007 • 1055 Posts
of course blu ray is needed more space is always needed
Japanese_Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Japanese_Monk
Member since 2006 • 1412 Posts
People who say Bluray isnt needed are in denial. Lems im looking at you. Its funny how you guys can bash Wii for its poor grphx but then you act like something nex gen like 50 gb disk is no big deal. More space is always a plus. Thats why i like sony. They always push the next media format.
D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

no its NOT needed i dont want a movie format on a games console. Xbox doesnt have a new movie format and nither does the wii and they get the job done just fine.

trying to find a excuse for the blu-ray being needed is ridiculous

beerm_basic

No, your post was ridiculous. Nobody said anything about it being a movie format. It's like calling DVD9 a movie format because it also plays movies. They're discussing it as a GAME FEATURE, and if you can't handle that, maybe you shouldn't speak when the grown folk are speaking.  

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

Some of you are getting way too hung up on the word "needed". Obviously nothing is "needed", you can get by on old CD-ROMS or MiniDiscs if that's what you choose. Are these things beneficial? Would all the multiplats made for a DVD9 benefit from being designed for a larger format? Of course.

If all you can do is debate the word needed, there isn't a debate.  

Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts
Blue Ray is the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.  It's not needed, but if it's there, then developers are going to take advantage of it.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#197 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
Cows have convinced me DVD9 will be holding back gaming, especially PC gaming, for years.
chrisdojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 chrisdojo
Member since 2005 • 5065 Posts
solution: stick with pc gaming.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

" This also explains why Gears of War's singleplayer was so short and the game had so few multiplayer maps. Maps take up space people! Read it here:"

Aren't the singelplayer for uncharted tops 10-12 hours? Isn't that confirmed from a dev? Which, kills this guys point.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

MS and Nintendo have been involved in the gaming biz a lot longer than SOny , so I couldn't care if Sony or some uneducated cow thinks it is needed.Fruity_Fantasy

???

news to me, MS has more experience in the console/game business than SOE?  Don't you mean they know computers more, not console gaming?