Face it. Blu-Ray is NEEDED! ***edited with new dev comments***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

Did any of you anti-ps3 types ever think that maybe, just MAYBE, Sony thinks that Blu-Ray WILL be needed for proper gaming storage this gen, and that they're not just trying to screw everyone over? 

Sure they wanted to push their next-gen video format, and the ps3 gave them the perfect means to do so, but it DOES still help with gaming, and they knew that, which is why they figured they'd get away with sticking a BR drive in the ps3.

So, who can we look to for an answer for the great question, "Is Blu-Ray needed this generation?"

....the devs, and the devs have spoken. Blu-Ray IS needed.  To quote various developers that have developed for many platforms:

Mark Rein, VP of Epic Games, the developers of Gears of War, Unreal Tournament, and many other games, had this to say about Blu-Ray in an interview with computerandvideogames.com:

Unreal Tournament was 6GB compressed. Next Generation games are going to be 20GB plus, and how we're going to fit them on DVD9's I don't know, they'll probably be a few of them. On the PS3, we're going to be using the majority of the space on those Blu-ray disks. Mark Rein

Julian Eggebrecht, of Factor 5, who are the developers of the great Star Wars Rogue Squardon games, andw who are currently developing their first title on a PLayStation platform, Lair, has this to say when questioned by IGN about the advantages of Blu-Ray:

The single level at TGS alone takes up 4 Gigabytes of data. We are using every ounce of that due to streaming of our textures. Sure you could chop them all down to tiny sizes and we would fit, but then again, it would not be the same game. In addition to all the textures and geometry, we also do have video on the disc, and all of that is in native 1080p resolution. Thanks to Blu-Ray we don't need to worry about that and can still fit the whole game on a single disk. Julian Eggebrecht

Brian Hastings, chief creative officer of Insomniac Games, the developers of the Ratchet & Clank series and Resistance: Fall of Man, had this to say about Blu-Ray in his blog "10 Reasons Why PS3 Will Win This Console Generation".  This also explains why Gears of War's singleplayer was so short and the game had so few multiplayer maps.  Maps take up space people!  Read it here:

If you ever hear someone say "Blu-Ray isn't needed for this generation," rest assured they don't make games for a living. At Insomniac, we were filling up DVDs on the PS2, as were most of the developers in the industry. We compressed the level data, we compressed the mpeg movies, we compressed the audio, and it was still a struggle to get it to fit in 6 gigs. Now we've got 16 times as much system RAM, so the level data is 16 times bigger. And the average disc space of games only gets bigger over a console's lifespan. As games get bigger, more advanced and more complex, they necessarily take up more space. If developers were filling up DVDs last generation, there are clearly going to be some sacrifices made to fit current generation games in the same amount of space.

Granted, some really great Xbox 360 games have squeezed onto a DVD9. Gears of War is a beautiful game and shows off the highest resolution textures of anything yet released, partly because of the Unreal Engine's ability to stream textures. This means that you can have much higher resolution textures than you could normally fit in your 512 MB of RAM. It also means that you're going to chew up more disc space for each level. With streamed textures, streamed geometry and streamed audio, even with compression, you can quickly approach 1 GB of data per level. That inherently limits you to a maximum of about 7 levels, and that's without multiplayer levels or mpeg cutscenes.

Sometimes people ask us, "If Resistance takes 14 gigabytes, why doesn't it look better than Gears?" Well, for one, Resistance didn't support texture streaming, so we had to make choices about where we spent our high-res textures. Resistance also had 30 single-player chapters, six multiplayer maps, uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs. That all added up to a lot of space on the disc. Starting with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction we are supporting texture streaming, which will make the worlds look even better, and will also consume even more space on disc.

There's no question that you can always cut more levels, compress the audio more, compress the textures more, down-res the mpeg movies, and eventually get any game to fit on a DVD. But you paid for a high-def experience, right? You want the highest resolution, best audio, most cinematic experience a developer can offer, right? That's why Blu-Ray is important for games, and why it will become more important each year of this hardware cycle. Brian Hastings

Also, Casey Hudson, the project director overseeing Mass Effect, has said that the game originally would've never been able to fit on a sinlgle DVD9, but that through heavy optimization, they managed to fit the game on one disc.  How much of that time could've been spent working on the game itself, rather than working on how much space the game takes up?  How much did they cut from the game to get it on one disc?  How big will Mass Effect 2 be? Here's the quote:

During a Q&A update, project director Casey Hudson confirmed that Mass Effect "is a monstrous game. In fact, there was a time -- not too long ago -- when we pretty much scoffed at the idea of fitting onto one disc. But, there's an art to optimizing the data that goes on a disc"; Mass Effect will fit onto a single disc -- "but just barely."Joystiq interview with Casey Hudson

And here's a quote from Hideo Kojima, in reference to the fact that MGS4 is pushing the limits of a single-layered BD-rom, which holds 25gb of data, in comparison to a dual-layered BD-rom which can hold 50 gb of data.  This is due to his heavy use of uncompressed audio and other fancy things.  After all, this is the "HD Era":

Blu-Ray is to small for Metal Gear Solid 4.Hideo Kojima

And my final developer quote, is the controversial quote from David Jaffe, the director of the Twisted Metal and God of War series, that he made during "The Bonus Round" on Gametrailers.com.  He said that he personally would've left Blu-Ray out of the ps3, in an effort to make it cheaper, get it to market sooner, and garner more sales.  However, he also says that doing this most likely would screw him over inthe long run, as the storage space of Blu-Ray would most likely be needed:

This will bite me in the ass in four years, because it was probably a smart decision, but I probably would have taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money.David Jaffe

********************Edited to add more!********************

Also, it seems that Itagaki, the lead developer of Team Ninja, is also quite discontent with the use of DVD in the 360.  In an interview with Famitsu, he said that just the Dead or Alive 4 TRAILER would take 2gb of space in high definition, so think about how much space even a tiny cutscene between every level in a game could take up.  Here's some of what he said:

The screen resolution for Xbox 360 games will be in high definition, so the pre-rendered movies are going to be pretty large.  If we encoded the Dead or Alive 4 trailer from E3 in high definition in a quality acceptable to us, it will easily be about 2GB.  [...]  With DOA4, we'll be using the disc's capacity to its full extent. We started development on DOA4 pretty early, and we didn't know what disc format the Xbox 360 was going to adopt. So when we learned about it, we were really knocked out.

Itagaki

So, can anybody find a dev quote that says that Blu-Ray just isn't needed?

DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
People bash blu-ray because it's the reason the PS3 is $600 and if sony's claims are right, than the DVD9 will not be enough for "next gen" games which puts alot of fear in people who don't have a PS3. I personally think it's a good bonus, but as for the DVD9 not being enough who knows? Games like Mass Effect and Geow look fantastic on DVD9s. The argument though is that the better looking games on DVD9s are shorter because many of them aim to be on one disc.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
It's good to finally see a well structured argument in favor of blue ray. I quess though, that games for PS3 will need the extra space more than xbox 360. For example most JRPG's have a lot of CGI cutscenes, and Sony wants their games in 1080p. These two things make a huge difference, and that's also why a huge game like mass effect WILL fit onto dvd9 - because it has ingame cutscenes and a normal resolution (yes I said it. I think it's better to put the extra effort into gameplay than some extra pixels for the few who can afford it). That said I think it's necessary for PS3, but for xbox 360 games not so.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
Some people can't stop and look more than a year or two ahead of them. But when your favorite console maker is known for short lifespans, why should you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-61ff675e61178
It's good to finally see a well structured argument in favor of blue ray. I quess though, that games for PS3 will need the extra space more than xbox 360. For example most JRPG's have a lot of CGI cutscenes, and Sony wants their games in 1080p. These two things make a huge difference, and that's also why a huge game like mass effect WILL fit onto dvd9 - because it has ingame cutscenes and a normal resolution (yes I said it. I think it's better to put the extra effort into gameplay than some extra pixels for the few who can afford it). That said I think it's necessary for PS3, but for xbox 360 games not so. 11Marcel
That's a good way to look at it.  Pay for what you feel you need. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Some people can't stop and look more than a year or two ahead of them. But when your favorite console maker is known for short lifespans, why should you?TekkenMaster606
That's pretty low, yet so very true. :lol:
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]Some people can't stop and look more than a year or two ahead of them. But when your favorite console maker is known for short lifespans, why should you?makingmusic476
That's pretty low, yet so very true. :lol:

ahahahahaahahwah :LOL: 

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#8 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts
While it is true that Blu-ray will be needed, this generation you don't necessarily need it. I mean how many games will really need blu-ray, only a few Massive, Epic, free roaming games right. If they can fit mass effect onto it and stil have a little room left then that is fine, also remember that they made the game with free downloadable content in mind. It still raises the cost of an entire system so that a few games can fit on one disc. Also, swapping Discs isn't a big deal in rpgs. The fact is Blu-Ray and other high capacity discs are all good and fine but not this generation. Don't forget that the biggest space taker on Discs are audio files, it's a misconseption that big free roaming environments take up the most space.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
I agree that more space is good. But it depends on how you implement that extra storage space. If you dont, then a DVD9 game is just as big as a blu-ray game. BTW: more space does not necessarily mean a better game.:)
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
While it is true that Blu-ray will be needed, this generation you don't necessarily need it. I mean how many games will really need blu-ray, only a few Massive, Epic, free roaming games right. If they can fit mass effect onto it and stil have a little room left then that is fine, also remember that they made the game with free downloadable content in mind. It still raises the cost of an entire system so that a few games can fit on one disc. Also, swapping Discs isn't a big deal in rpgs. The fact is Blu-Ray and other high capacity discs are all good and fine but not this generation. Don't forget that the biggest space taker on Discs are audio files, it's a misconseption that big free roaming environments take up the most space.cobrax80
You kind of contradicted yourself in your post. First you say only a few massive free roaming games will need the space, then to say that it's a misconception that the free roaming environments take up a lot of space. Your point is mostly correct though. It will always be a few games. It may be a problem though if games in other genres start taking up too much space though, as the disc swap moments may come too many times.
Fruity_Fantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fruity_Fantasy
Member since 2007 • 778 Posts
MS and Nintendo have been involved in the gaming biz a lot longer than SOny , so I couldn't care if Sony or some uneducated cow thinks it is needed.
wooopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wooopz
Member since 2005 • 476 Posts

with a standardized hdd on the ps3 i dont really see why its needed

hell they could of thrown in a 100gig hdd and probably priced the ps3 for 400-450 without the blu-ray

then if a game ever exceeded 1 dvd u could install some stuff off 1 disk and the other dvd could be the play disk

honestly if u do not see the main reason was a blu-ray trojan horse than i dont know what to tell u.

blu-ray would of tanked harder than beta-max by now if the ps3 didnt include it, they chose their strrategy and now they have to stick with it

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

no its NOT needed i dont want a movie format on a games console.  Xbox doesnt have a new movie format and nither does the wii and they get the job done just fine. 

trying to find a excuse for the blu-ray being needed is ridiculous

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cobrax80

[QUOTE="cobrax80"]While it is true that Blu-ray will be needed, this generation you don't necessarily need it. I mean how many games will really need blu-ray, only a few Massive, Epic, free roaming games right. If they can fit mass effect onto it and stil have a little room left then that is fine, also remember that they made the game with free downloadable content in mind. It still raises the cost of an entire system so that a few games can fit on one disc. Also, swapping Discs isn't a big deal in rpgs. The fact is Blu-Ray and other high capacity discs are all good and fine but not this generation. Don't forget that the biggest space taker on Discs are audio files, it's a misconseption that big free roaming environments take up the most space.11Marcel
You kind of contradicted yourself in your post. First you say only a few massive free roaming games will need the space, then to say that it's a misconception that the free roaming environments take up a lot of space. Your point is mostly correct though. It will always be a few games. It may be a problem though if games in other genres start taking up too much space though, as the disc swap moments may come too many times.

I meant large games, not necessarily the "environments".

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

People like you need to realize that Blu Ray is NOT needed. At this point, it's just nice to have. When the average game fills a DVD 9 and multiple disc games become a standard, then a higher capacity disc format will be necessary. In a few years when the aforementioned conditions are met, then Blu Ray will be necessary.

Bottom line, as long as games are still fitting on DVD 9's with space to spare, Blu Ray will not be necessary.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-61ff675e61178

While it is true that Blu-ray will be needed, this generation you don't necessarily need it. I mean how many games will really need blu-ray, only a few Massive, Epic, free roaming games right. If they can fit mass effect onto it and stil have a little room left then that is fine, also remember that they made the game with free downloadable content in mind. It still raises the cost of an entire system so that a few games can fit on one disc. Also, swapping Discs isn't a big deal in rpgs. The fact is Blu-Ray and other high capacity discs are all good and fine but not this generation. Don't forget that the biggest space taker on Discs are audio files, it's a misconseption that big free roaming environments take up the most space.cobrax80
Yeah....i'll trust the devs on this one. 

Also, streaming textures take up more space then the old methods of putting textures in memory did.  Games are just beginning to utilize this.  You can't say audio takes up the most space just yet (even though it most likely still will).

Loonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Loonie
Member since 2003 • 3455 Posts

Did any of you anti-ps3 types ever think that maybe, just MAYBE, Sony thinks that Blu-Ray WILL be needed for proper gaming storage this gen, and that they're not just trying to screw everyone over?

makingmusic476

Nope. 

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
I don't need it, I am fine with regular DVD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Fine ignore the developers. Keep playing games like Gears that only have an 8-hour singleplayer campaign and games where you have to wait for months after you get the game to download some new multiplayer maps to make up for the few that were given to you in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-61ff675e61178
I swear, did any of you even read the quotes taken straight from the mouths of people like Mark Rein of epic games, the creator of your beloved Gears of War!?!
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fixer293

Fine ignore the developers. Keep playing games like Gears that only have an 8-hour singleplayer campaign and games where you have to wait for months after you get the game to download some new multiplayer maps to make up for the few that were given to you in the first place.makingmusic476

Need you forget ,Gears=9.6

And no, Blu-Ray is far from needed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]Fine ignore the developers. Keep playing games like Gears that only have an 8-hour singleplayer campaign and games where you have to wait for months after you get the game to download some new multiplayer maps to make up for the few that were given to you in the first place.fixer293

Hey, its a great game, its just over a tad too quickly, imo. 

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Needed Now ? Not necessarily but debatable

Needed for the Future?  Again debatable 

Hurts anything? No, most likely not

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TekkenMaster606

Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|HeedleGlavin

Add voice acting and see if it'll fit on a GC disk. :lol: 

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cobrax80

Fine ignore the developers. Keep playing games like Gears that only have an 8-hour singleplayer campaign and games where you have to wait for months after you get the game to download some new multiplayer maps to make up for the few that were given to you in the first place.makingmusic476

Show me the link where it says they couldn't fit in anymore content, or a link that tells me how much space it really takes on the DVD9 disc, it still turned out to be great game anyway.

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

*ejects disk 1*

*puts in disk 2*

wow its so simple even a moron can figure it out....o wait we are in system wars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-61ff675e61178

Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|HeedleGlavin
Yeah....and your point?  FFVII was longer than that and it fit on a few cds.  ;)

Higher resolution textures, more objects on screen at once, uncompressed (or at least less-compressed) audio all adds up to way more space.

HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|TekkenMaster606

Add voice acting and see if it'll fit on a GC disk. :lol: 

It is still one of the highest reviewed games of all-time without voice acting. :) You fail. And, if they'd developed it on DVD - it would have fit voice acting. So, you fail even harder.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fixer293
[QUOTE="fixer293"]

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]Fine ignore the developers. Keep playing games like Gears that only have an 8-hour singleplayer campaign and games where you have to wait for months after you get the game to download some new multiplayer maps to make up for the few that were given to you in the first place.makingmusic476

Hey, its a great game, its just over a tad too quickly, imo. 

Ok, thats you opinion, just like it is your opinion that Blu-Ray is needed. Not everyone wants or needs Blu-Ray.

Thread busted

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TekkenMaster606

*ejects disk 1*

*puts in disk 2*

wow its so simple even a moron can figure it out....o wait we are in system wars

beerm_basic

Disc spanning can still create limitations. Sandbox type games certainly couldn't work that well on multiple disks. A linear game or a JRPG full of cutscenes, sure.  

Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

Smaller disc space doesn't make games shorter.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
  • PC + Standard HDD = Blu-Ray not needed
  • PS3 + Standard HDD = Blu-Ray not needed
  • Blu-Ray is a luxary not a need 
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|makingmusic476

Yeah....and your point? FFVII was longer than that and it fit on a few cds. ;)

Higher resolution textures, more objects on screen at once, uncompressed (or at least less-compressed) audio all adds up to way more space.

um, FFVII wasnt on DVD9s. I dont even think they were on DVDs. It was on those crazy black PS one discs.  

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cobrax80
[QUOTE="beerm_basic"]

*ejects disk 1*

*puts in disk 2*

TekkenMaster606

Disc spanning can still create limitations. Sandbox type games certainly couldn't work that well on multiple disks. A linear game or a JRPG full of cutscenes, sure.  

actually sandbox games can do that, the disc swapping would be done to fit in the story, cutscenes, and dialog. Like i said before, large environments are not what causes the most usage of space.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|black_awpN1

um, FFVII wasnt on DVD9s. I dont even think they were on DVDs. It was on those crazy black PS one discs.  

Um....i said it was on cds, not dvds.  The "crazy black discs" were close in size to a cd.
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
PS3 has a hard drive. Why not just install the games instead? Hirai keeps saying its a computer, might as well install games like one too. That way you dont need the Blu-Ray. Just need to decompress files onto the hard drive.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TekkenMaster606
With HDDs, it's not needed. Won't be needed on the PC anytime soon. But it's a nice luxury if you ask me. I really enjoy watching films in full 1080p. But then again, if you don't have a living room to call your own, the full HD multimedia experience might not mean that much to you.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

That argument might actually work if Gears of War completely filled the DVD 9. :|

TellDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TellDaddy
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts
Ironically the only reason Blu-Ray is needed is because Blu-Rays read speed is so slow they have to duplicate information on the disc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="black_awpN1"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|cobrax80

Um....i said it was on cds, not dvds.  The "crazy black discs" were close in size to a cd.

no, they held 300KBs

So they only held half of what a cd could hold?  Huh, i didn't know that.
lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

this form the company that is going to put UT3 on DVD9 for the PC?

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cobrax80
[QUOTE="black_awpN1"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|makingmusic476

how close? link?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]Fine ignore the developers. Keep playing games like Gears that only have an 8-hour singleplayer campaign and games where you have to wait for months after you get the game to download some new multiplayer maps to make up for the few that were given to you in the first place.The_Game21x

That argument might actually work if Gears of War completely filled the DVD 9. :|

Isn't Gears somewhere between 6.5-7 gbs worth of data?  Devs are only allowed to use app. 7gb of the standard dvd9, as the other 2gb are reserved for information for MS.  I could've sworn Gears essentially filled up what space they could use on the disc.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

Can anybody find a dev quote that says tha Blu-Ray just isn't needed at all?makingmusic476

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Jaffe_I_Would_Not_Have_Included_Blu_ray_in_PS3 

Not only did I find one, but I found one from one sony's most beloved developers. Anything else you want me to do? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="black_awpN1"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

[QUOTE="HeedleGlavin"]Zelda: TP had 50-60 hours of gameplay, and it fit on a GC disk. :|cobrax80

how close? link?

Well, according to Wikipedia, the psOne used cd-roms. I know cd-roms hold between 600 and 800 mb of data.

You claim the "black discs" could hold 300mb.  I do recal that the psONe discs were not the same as a standard cd-rom, but i'm not sure how much they actually hold.  Could you throw me a link about the 300mb thing? Because i can't find it anywhere.

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TekkenMaster606

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]Can anybody find a dev quote that says tha Blu-Ray just isn't needed at all?MTBare

Not only did I find one, but I found one from one sony's most beloved developers. Anything else you want me to do?

He said he would not include it for PRICE reasons. YOU FAIL. Not once did he claim it was not needed because the space a DVD9 can provide is ample storage space. 

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fixer293
[QUOTE="cobrax80"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="black_awpN1"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]

how close? link?

Well, according to Wikipedia, the psOne used cd-roms. I know cd-roms hold between 600 and 800 mb of data.

You claim the "black discs" could hold 300mb.  I do recal that the psONe discs were not the same as a standard cd-rom, but i'm not sure how much they actually hold.  Could you throw me a link about the 300mb thing? Because i can't find it anywhere.

Wikipedia= Credit destroyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="makingmusic476"]Can anybody find a dev quote that says tha Blu-Ray just isn't needed at all?MTBare

Smooth, i had that quote in my original post, right above the question you "answered", actually. 

Did no one read through my entire post?  Wth.