Explain why Kinect is in every Xbox One SKU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by lostrib (41096 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

Let's face the facts, guys. We are almost a page in this thread and no one can say how the Kinect is good for games. No one can point out any games that use it well or any games in the future that could potentially use it well. Let's face it, Kinect isn't good for video games. It sucks as a controller, period. There's nothing Kinect can do that a controller can't do 100 times better. Like many others have pointed out, Kinect had many years on the 360 to prove its worth and never could. This gen appears to me more of the same. After all, it's the same exact device, just slightly improved. It was basically relegated to dance games and could be shoe horned in to ultra casual games like Kinect sports. It will never be used in a real game with competitive gameplay because you can't have competitive gameplay without good controls.

Now I've seen people mention that Kinect isn't for games. They argue that Kinect is a peek into the future regarding how we will control UI. Although the tech isn't there yet judging by how it only works half the time, these people don't mind paying for it because they're paving the way to the future. They are paying top dollar to be testers. Guess what, guys? There are jobs out there that pay you to be a tester for things like Kinect. If you really wanna pave the way, go get a testing job and offer real input that could actually influence it. Paying top dollar to line ms's execs' pockets for a faulty product that is still in its infancy and far from good is the epitome of a waste of money.

Here's the real kicker, though. Xbox One is a video game console. Kinect, as proven ITT, sucks for video games. By putting Kinect in every SKU, Microsoft made the actual video games worse. This is what I keep saying and people keep ignoring, probably because it's a major flaw and people just don't want to accept it.

Here, I'll say it again and single it out of a paragraph and leave it all on its own.

By including the Kinect in every SKU, they had to castrate the specs of the system to still make it affordable. Every video game ever made for Xbone will now be worse because of the mandatory inclusion of Kinect. To add insult to injury, Kinect does nothing to improve video games. Kinect literally makes every single game on Xbone worse, even games that don't use it at all. Kinect is responsible for all the inferior multiplats. It's responsible for 720p games. It's responsible for lower frame rates and other performance issues. It's basically responsible for everything wrong with the system, including the price.

All these negatives just so you can talk to your system and wave your hands around trying to get it to respond half the time when a controller works 100% of the time? And it isn't even any good for VIDEO GAMES? Sounds like a fair trade off.

It will be useful for kinect games. Also, the x1 (and PS4) isn't just a game console

#52 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

MS invested a lot with Kinect and thought it would be huge for this gen, if they were to take it away now it'd be a huge stab in the back for early adopters. The tech behind Kinect is amazing but don;t expect to see a lot of killer apps made for it, but I could be also be wrong, MS wanted Kinect to be a big thing this gen, and now they're trying to turn it around. I hope Kinect gets a killer app, I bought one last gen but it disappointed and most games were fucking awful for it, and any game I did try that was good wore off it's welcome within a few days.

#53 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8641 posts) -

Can we just post selfies in this thread and talk about how hot our girlfriends are?

OH, I'm not a gaming nerd either.

#54 Posted by NoTrolling (97 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Anyone with half a brain can see why MS chose to include it with every system.

To spy on you while you're masturbating?

#55 Edited by arkephonic (6482 posts) -

Kinect is a mistake and Microsoft, along with their fans will be paying the price for that mistake all generation long. They can thank their shitty specs, poorly performing multiplats, high price point, and exclusives that will only be a mere shell of what they could have been all thanks to Kinect. What baffles me is that Xbone fans are willing to sacrifice everything video game related for something like Kinect that isn't even good for games.

Video games aren't even the main focus of the Xbone, and this is indicative in the fact that they were willing to sacrifice everything gaming related in favor of something that doesn't pertain to video games. Trust me, I'd never buy a ps4 if it had cheesy specs in favor of something not even related to video games. I would buy an Xbone if I wasn't so aware of the mistakes they made here.

#56 Posted by lostrib (41096 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

Kinect is a mistake and Microsoft, along with their fans will be paying the price for that mistake all generation long. They can thank their shitty specs, poorly performing multiplats, high price point, and exclusives that will only be a mere shell of what they could have been all thanks to Kinect. What baffles me is that Xbone fans are willing to sacrifice everything video game related for something like Kinect that isn't even good for games.

Video games aren't even the main focus of the Xbone, and this is indicative in the fact that they were willing to sacrifice everything gaming related in favor of something that doesn't pertain to video games. Trust me, I'd never buy a ps4 if it had cheesy specs in favor of something not even related to video games. I would buy an Xbone if I wasn't so aware of the mistakes they made here.

you sound like a nerd

#57 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

Let's face the facts, guys. We are almost a page in this thread and no one can say how the Kinect is good for games. No one can point out any games that use it well or any games in the future that could potentially use it well. Let's face it, Kinect isn't good for video games. It sucks as a controller, period. There's nothing Kinect can do that a controller can't do 100 times better. Like many others have pointed out, Kinect had many years on the 360 to prove its worth and never could. This gen appears to me more of the same. After all, it's the same exact device, just slightly improved. It was basically relegated to dance games and could be shoe horned in to ultra casual games like Kinect sports. It will never be used in a real game with competitive gameplay because you can't have competitive gameplay without good controls.

Now I've seen people mention that Kinect isn't for games. They argue that Kinect is a peek into the future regarding how we will control UI. Although the tech isn't there yet judging by how it only works half the time, these people don't mind paying for it because they're paving the way to the future. They are paying top dollar to be testers. Guess what, guys? There are jobs out there that pay you to be a tester for things like Kinect. If you really wanna pave the way, go get a testing job and offer real input that could actually influence it. Paying top dollar to line ms's execs' pockets for a faulty product that is still in its infancy and far from good is the epitome of a waste of money.

Here's the real kicker, though. Xbox One is a video game console. Kinect, as proven ITT, sucks for video games. By putting Kinect in every SKU, Microsoft made the actual video games worse. This is what I keep saying and people keep ignoring, probably because it's a major flaw and people just don't want to accept it.

Here, I'll say it again and single it out of a paragraph and leave it all on its own.

By including the Kinect in every SKU, they had to castrate the specs of the system to still make it affordable. Every video game ever made for Xbone will now be worse because of the mandatory inclusion of Kinect. To add insult to injury, Kinect does nothing to improve video games. Kinect literally makes every single game on Xbone worse, even games that don't use it at all. Kinect is responsible for all the inferior multiplats. It's responsible for 720p games. It's responsible for lower frame rates and other performance issues. It's basically responsible for everything wrong with the system, including the price.

All these negatives just so you can talk to your system and wave your hands around trying to get it to respond half the time when a controller works 100% of the time? And it isn't even any good for VIDEO GAMES? Sounds like a fair trade off.

People have given you reasons why its in every box. Your thread title isn't "What has Kinect 2.0 done for Xbox gaming" its "Explain why Kinect is in every Xbox One SKU" Big difference. As I said in my point its the overall experience for the console, which includes but isn't defined completely by gaming. Kinect as it pertains to games will be better served in the family and party games like Kinect Sports Rivals and the Fantasia music game. Core games will never be a Kinect centric experience IMHO. There will be likely things Kinect does like maybe adding your face into the game ala KSR or voice commands, but that's only basic stuff. Kinect is there for the overall experience of an all in one entertainment system. The One is not just a gaming console. There will be Kinect centric Twitter, Facebook, and Netflix apps eventually. Xbox Fitness will expand. More part and family games and indie games will use it. As expressed by responding to your thread title, a number of people have told your their opinions. Maybe those things just don't resonate to you, but they are valid answers nonetheless. When I look at games like Ryse and the scale of Titanfall or NBA2K and see that these are all launch window games within 4 months of release, I see the One's graphics improving greatly as devs get their new sdks/DX12. If your assessment of One games came at the end of year one you might have a point as we'd have a ton of releases to look at. But I'm seeing things looking very good thus far, and certainly with room for improvement.

And that's total BS about the Kinect controls working only half the time. Total BS. I'm getting 80%+ accuracy all the time, and I'd say most of the people I know with the One are hitting that as well..

#58 Posted by Krazymixture (175 posts) -

Owner of both here so no bias. You want purpose, here's how it goes. Xbox on, my xbox turns on with my tv and cable box ready. Plus. Xbox one KINECT recognizes me and signs me in saying hello. Plus. My wife walks bye, xbox greets her. She says hi xbox. Awesome. Xbox go to titanfall, game starts up. I play for about an hour. What's that, foods ready. Xbox go to tv. Plus. While watching tv and finishing my food I get a invite to titanfall party up. Xbox go to titanfall. Boom, plus. I got more but you should get the picture. Only on Xbox one son!!!!

#59 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (3169 posts) -

Oh please... OP you keep saying that Kinect is useless.

How about buying Xbox One first and use it? I use Kinect almost with every game, also 720p streaming, Skype and Kinect Sports Rivals.

#60 Posted by Venom951 (389 posts) -

@arkephonic: Its so developers can make the option to utilize it or not .

#61 Posted by lostrib (41096 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Oh please... OP you keep saying that Kinect is useless.

How about buying Xbox One first and use it? I use Kinect almost with every game, also 720p streaming, Skype and Kinect Sports Rivals.

Filthy casual confirmed

#62 Posted by cainetao11 (18733 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

I always see people say the reason is so every Xbox One owner will have a Kinect and that will encourage developers to incorporate it into their games. However, I have yet to see it used in any meaningful way that screams, "you need this thing". So far, it looks to me like it could have been entirely optional and even then, it'd barely even be used because it's getting no support. I was pretty shocked how at E3, they didn't show any games using Kinect in a meaningful way and they haven't really shown anything since other than Kinect Sports. They're doing a bad job of justifying the mandatory inclusion of this peripheral which is responsible for the $100 price difference.

I don't understand why you want something justified. You aren't buying an xbox. Why do PS4 controllers have lights on them? Are the needed? Why does the WiiU have suck limited memory and full game downloads?

#63 Posted by BigBadBully (664 posts) -

Fifa 14 voice commands are a pretty good feature. Don't have to fumble around with the controller and change up on the fly and not worry about pausing the game. Battlefield 4 features are nice as well when calling out and freeing up the controller. Fooling around with the kinect rival sports demo also justified how good the body tracking is. On top of that moving around the user interface and calling up settings. Then with the hdmi pas through, I can call up my other systems and switch on the fly if I want to play something else.

#64 Posted by arkephonic (6482 posts) -

I'm sorry if I came off as unfair to the Xbox One. If you guys bought it and enjoy it, that's all that really matters. I'm finally at my computer and every post I've written so far has been on my phone. I HATE typing on my phone!

I guess what this really comes down to is me. I am a game collector and I buy every system every generation. What this really boils down to is that the new Xbox isn't what I wished it would be. I'm disappointed that Kinect is back and deep down inside I wished that it would have died off like the Move did, but the reason Kinect is still around is because it was more successful. I think it's mainly because of the billions of dollars in marketing they spent advertising the thing more so than its performance, though. I'm having a hard time buying this new Xbox because I don't really like the system itself. I am a lot different than most people in the sense that I care a lot more about hardware than the average person. Most people say it's all about the games, but I'm half about hardware and half about games. I'm majorly disappointed that I have to buy a Kinect if I want an Xbox One, and I'm even more disappointed that they castrated the specs of the system to shoehorn the thing in. I would have gladly paid $600-$700 bucks for a system on par or more powerful than a PS4 that also included Kinect. I would be bitter about having to buy the Kinect, but I'd deal with it. I would much prefer a $500 option without the Kinect while keeping the system on par or superior to PS4 in terms of power, but that's wishful thinking.

Overall, I'm just mad that sacrifices were made to the power of the system. It makes it a really hard sale for me. People keep saying games will get better/perform better and I'm not that optimistic. You see, with the PS3, the system just had a weird, proprietary processor that developers didn't like and got frustrated with. It was time consuming to learn and led to a lot of sloppy ports because you gotta pay programmers as everyone knows and they didn't wanna waste time dealing with the intricacies of the cell. That's a big difference from what's going on here. The PS3 had the power, developers just needed to learn that annoying processor and how to code for it. The Xbox One's limitations are hardware related and for different reasons. It's not that it's hard to develop for, the architecture is very PC centric. The problem is that it's underpowered, and that's not something you learn how to fix overtime. Just ask any PC gamer who builds their PCs. You aren't going to get GTX 780ti performance out of a GTX 480 if you provide more development time, that's just not how it works. I'm just majorly disappointed that something I have no interest in (Kinect) killed this system off for me. It's just a glaring weakness overall regarding consoles in the sense that you have to hit that sweet spot of under $600 bucks because everyone knows you can't be $600 or higher judging by the PS3 reception. Due to this price limitation, you can only do so much, and when you try to shoehorn every little thing in the box, concessions will be made, whether it be in the quality of the parts by using cheaper manufacturers leading to reliability issues or the power of the parts like GPU/CPU/HDD etc. It's things like this that make it extremely obvious that PC gaming is the best because there is no arbitrary $600 cut off, and you can do things right. This is the only reason why PS4 is the most appealing console of this generation is because they spent every single penny on making the thing a gaming machine with no bells, whistles, gimmicks or fluff. That's literally what you need to do in this day in age to release a solid gaming machine for under $600. I consider the PS4 to be underpowered and am wondering how it will last 7+ years. As for the Xbox One, well......

#65 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

I'm sorry if I came off as unfair to the Xbox One. If you guys bought it and enjoy it, that's all that really matters. I'm finally at my computer and every post I've written so far has been on my phone. I HATE typing on my phone!

I guess what this really comes down to is me. I am a game collector and I buy every system every generation. What this really boils down to is that the new Xbox isn't what I wished it would be. I'm disappointed that Kinect is back and deep down inside I wished that it would have died off like the Move did, but the reason Kinect is still around is because it was more successful. I think it's mainly because of the billions of dollars in marketing they spent advertising the thing more so than its performance, though. I'm having a hard time buying this new Xbox because I don't really like the system itself. I am a lot different than most people in the sense that I care a lot more about hardware than the average person. Most people say it's all about the games, but I'm half about hardware and half about games. I'm majorly disappointed that I have to buy a Kinect if I want an Xbox One, and I'm even more disappointed that they castrated the specs of the system to shoehorn the thing in. I would have gladly paid $600-$700 bucks for a system on par or more powerful than a PS4 that also included Kinect. I would be bitter about having to buy the Kinect, but I'd deal with it. I would much prefer a $500 option without the Kinect while keeping the system on par or superior to PS4 in terms of power, but that's wishful thinking.

Overall, I'm just mad that sacrifices were made to the power of the system. It makes it a really hard sale for me. People keep saying games will get better/perform better and I'm not that optimistic. You see, with the PS3, the system just had a weird, proprietary processor that developers didn't like and got frustrated with. It was time consuming to learn and led to a lot of sloppy ports because you gotta pay programmers as everyone knows and they didn't wanna waste time dealing with the intricacies of the cell. That's a big difference from what's going on here. The PS3 had the power, developers just needed to learn that annoying processor and how to code for it. The Xbox One's limitations are hardware related and for different reasons. It's not that it's hard to develop for, the architecture is very PC centric. The problem is that it's underpowered, and that's not something you learn how to fix overtime. Just ask any PC gamer who builds their PCs. You aren't going to get GTX 780ti performance out of a GTX 480 if you provide more development time, that's just not how it works. I'm just majorly disappointed that something I have no interest in (Kinect) killed this system off for me. It's just a glaring weakness overall regarding consoles in the sense that you have to hit that sweet spot of under $600 bucks because everyone knows you can't be $600 or higher judging by the PS3 reception. Due to this price limitation, you can only do so much, and when you try to shoehorn every little thing in the box, concessions will be made, whether it be in the quality of the parts by using cheaper manufacturers leading to reliability issues or the power of the parts like GPU/CPU/HDD etc. It's things like this that make it extremely obvious that PC gaming is the best because there is no arbitrary $600 cut off, and you can do things right. This is the only reason why PS4 is the most appealing console of this generation is because they spent every single penny on making the thing a gaming machine with no bells, whistles, gimmicks or fluff. That's literally what you need to do in this day in age to release a solid gaming machine for under $600. I consider the PS4 to be underpowered and am wondering how it will last 7+ years. As for the Xbox One, well......

Hey, I can respect your point of view. The One isn't what you envisioned and its focus doesn't appeal to you. Nothing wrong with that and thanks for clarifying where you stand. Different strokes for different folks. And while I don't agree with all of your Xbox assessments, I do respect your opinion.

#66 Posted by mariokart64fan (19624 posts) -

lol i dont even plug my kenict in , so where it what part is it needed to enjoy the system lol i dont see it u

#67 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

NSA spycam and also as a huge bringer of ad revenue for M$.

#68 Edited by navyguy21 (13053 posts) -

I look at Kinect like the Dualshock 4 touchpad. Devs know every user has it so they can build games around it.

So far it has be limited to voice commands, but Kinect is capable of so much more. By bundling it, Devs can justify the development resources to get creative with it.

Right now, the touchpad is just used for map scrolling, but Infamous second son used it for fingerprinting, swiping doors, etc. Devs can afford to invest time in it.

Sure, its optional and gimmicky sometimes, but if done well...it can add immersion for the player.

So many people here have views so narrow that they cant see the value. Its FAR more than motion controls. it can track and see so much that i can bet some indy dev out there will just blow our minds with it.

Imagine in game characters responding to your emotions, or commenting on your heartbeat rising, or screaming for you to pay attention when you arent looking at the screen, etc. it can be fun.

#69 Posted by cdragon_88 (1256 posts) -

Why is kinect in every Xbox 1? Because M$ wanted it to be included. /thread

#70 Edited by KungfuKitten (21357 posts) -

Are we sure that it added $100 to the price? Maybe it added only $50. Still the reason it is included is because it wouldn't sell otherwise, and the people they aim for aren't too bright anyway. For you to have one, there is probably no reason now and I doubt there will ever be a good reason that is exclusive to Kinect.

#71 Posted by TheRealBigRich (736 posts) -

@arkephonic: you are right that the kinect is the reason the console is more expensive than it should be and probably hurt the specs so that games don't look as good. The only problem I see is though is if there was no included kinect what would be the difference between the xbox and ps4 if the price and technical abilities were pretty much equal.

My real question that I have is why do you or any other person really care what Ms does with the xbox one. It would seem that Ms did you a favor by making the X1 something you don't want to buy and do not have to worry about. So why waste your time complaing about it if you don't want it and don't plan on buying it.

#72 Posted by cainetao11 (18733 posts) -

@TheRealBigRich: @arkephonic: you are right that the kinect is the reason the console is more expensive than it should be and probably hurt the specs so that games don't look as good. The only problem I see is though is if there was no included kinect what would be the difference between the xbox and ps4 if the price and technical abilities were pretty much equal.

My real question that I have is why do you or any other person really care what Ms does with the xbox one. It would seem that Ms did you a favor by making the X1 something you don't want to buy and do not have to worry about. So why waste your time complaing about it if you don't want it and don't plan on buying it.

So well said. The Kinect adds to the price, but MS also wanted to sell at a profit out the gate.

#73 Posted by speedfog (3333 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

@R3FURBISHED:

I already have and it was just a frustrating experience trying to navigate the UI while grabbing and pulling stuff when I could just use a controller with 100% accuracy. Besides, I see no meaningful implementation in games, nothing that justifies $100. It's sloppy UI navigation at best. The problem I have with it is that it's not accurate enough. I mean, it'll never be used in competitive gaming because people want 100% accuracy when competing which is only attainable with a controller or KB/M at the moment. Could you imagine a Starcraft 2 tournament being controlled using Kinect?

Clearly you did not try it.

Try kinect 2 next time.

#74 Posted by TheRealBigRich (736 posts) -

@Krazymixture said:

Owner of both here so no bias. You want purpose, here's how it goes. Xbox on, my xbox turns on with my tv and cable box ready. Plus. Xbox one KINECT recognizes me and signs me in saying hello. Plus. My wife walks bye, xbox greets her. She says hi xbox. Awesome. Xbox go to titanfall, game starts up. I play for about an hour. What's that, foods ready. Xbox go to tv. Plus. While watching tv and finishing my food I get a invite to titanfall party up. Xbox go to titanfall. Boom, plus. I got more but you should get the picture. Only on Xbox one son!!!!

this actually happens to me a lot more than I thought it would when I first got the xbox one

#75 Posted by TheRealBigRich (736 posts) -

I have to say after reading more replies it seems like this topic is severely outdated and not very well thought of at all. From people brining up the NSA with no base that the Kinect does other than its a camera like the one on your phone or laptop. To the X1 being overpriced when at this present time it is on sale for 450 with a game so at the very least the system is at a equal price point as the PS4 cheaper even. I also have to point out that the original question of the OP was "Explain why Kinect is in every Xbox One SKU?" and I have seen multiple replies and answers from people in this thread that say just being able to sign themselves in or being able to go in a game by saying Xbox go to _______ is are reasons enough why. Then it seem like the question changed from Why in every SKU to what does it do for games which I would think would of been a more valid question would that of been the OP topic.

#76 Posted by kuu2 (7779 posts) -

It is going to be funny when Sony starts to pack in their camera for the début of their VR goggles. Then it will be, 'Its all about choice'.

Sony Fan continue to be the clowns of SW.

#80 Edited by NFJSupreme (5386 posts) -

Same reason a controller is included in every sku. The console was specifically designed to work hand in hand with the kinect and doesn't have full functionality without it. If this offends you for some reason then don't buy an xbone and quit crying about it. Maybe I'm weird but I don't talk about things I don't like or aren't interested in.

#81 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4287 posts) -

Because while people generally don't want Kinect, MS sort of needs them to.

#82 Posted by Chutebox (37941 posts) -

It's in the box so it can take up space on the mantle and never get used. Like mine!

#83 Posted by Jankarcop (10242 posts) -

M$

#84 Posted by RR360DD (12937 posts) -

Explain why the PS4 Eye cam is selling so well? Cows trying to replicate that Kinect experience.

#dealwithit

#85 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

The funny part to me is that Kinect is the single biggest thing holding me back from even considering the X1.

#86 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4412 posts) -

@Solid_Max13:

M$ already stabbed their core userbase in the back in favor of Kinect Casuals. Perhaps it's time to stab you guys in the back instead and take their gaming market back. It's pretty apparent that most if us aren't concerned with these cheezy bells & whistles.

#87 Posted by MirkoS77 (7993 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

@arkephonic said:

@R3FURBISHED:

I already have and it was just a frustrating experience trying to navigate the UI while grabbing and pulling stuff when I could just use a controller with 100% accuracy. Besides, I see no meaningful implementation in games, nothing that justifies $100. It's sloppy UI navigation at best. The problem I have with it is that it's not accurate enough. I mean, it'll never be used in competitive gaming because people want 100% accuracy when competing which is only attainable with a controller or KB/M at the moment. Could you imagine a Starcraft 2 tournament being controlled using Kinect?

The hand gestures are entirely superfluous and inept.

Voice on the other hand is incredibly useful - being able to mute from another room, being able to sign in with your voice, signing into a profile automatically. The UI was built to be navigated with your voice and is very straightforward when navigated with the assistance of Kinect.

I hear that the voice recognition is fairly poor. As in, speaking naturally doesn't work, you have to memorize specific phrases. That sounds like far more of a hassle than it's worth.

#88 Posted by Spitfire-Six (622 posts) -

@MirkoS77: You heard wrong, I speak in a regular tone and it picks up fine. The only command I have the most trouble with is "xbox on. "

#89 Posted by kingtito (5149 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@mems_1224 said:

@arkephonic said:

@mems_1224:

Riiiiiight. The fact that PS4 is outselling the Xbox One by such a large margin pretty much proves my point. This mandatory Kinect hikes the price up $100 bucks. So tell me, which games justify the $100 and make great use of the Kinect?

Which games justify spending $400 on a PS4 and make great use of the hardware? None. Thanks for playing.

Translation: "Grrrr this is my angry opinion rawrrr. Stop liking what I don't like! Stop asking the questions I can't answer rawr!"

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black. Seriously you're a sad pathetic individual. This thread was started by a cow. Most threads are started by cows bashing MS. If anyone is guilty of "stop liking what I don't" it's you moronic cows.

You're a bunch of clowns

Cows, the jokes of SWs

#90 Posted by kingtito (5149 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@MirkoS77: You heard wrong, I speak in a regular tone and it picks up fine. The only command I have the most trouble with is "xbox on. "

Same here. It's the only voice command that doesn't always work on the 1st try.

#91 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

You have to look towards the future. The Kinect + VR = win

The PS4 Morpheus will require a PS eye. Possibly PS move.

The question should be. Why didn't Sony package the PSEYE with the PS4 if they knew they were going to adopt VR?

#92 Posted by lostrib (41096 posts) -

@b4x said:

You have to look towards the future. The Kinect + VR = win

The PS4 Morpheus will require a PS eye. Possibly PS move.

The question should be. Why didn't Sony package the PSEYE with the PS4 if they knew they were going to adopt VR?

Source?

#93 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

-Microsoft wants every Xbox to have the functionality of Kinect

-Includes Kinect in every box

I'm guessing the people that hate on Kinect have never used every feature included in their computer's OS, or every feature of their smart phone, or even every feature of their car. Do you complain about those things as well?

If you don't want a console with the functionality of Kinect then don't buy it. Quit being stupid.

#94 Posted by KingsofQueens (2222 posts) -

Why are a vast majority of PS4 owners buying PS Cameras, becoming such a sought after peripheral?

Anyone see the irony?

#95 Posted by MirkoS77 (7993 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:

@MirkoS77: You heard wrong, I speak in a regular tone and it picks up fine. The only command I have the most trouble with is "xbox on. "

So it's not true that you have to speak specific, memorized phrases for the voice recognition to work?

#96 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10791 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

The hand gestures are entirely superfluous and inept.

Voice on the other hand is incredibly useful - being able to mute from another room, being able to sign in with your voice, signing into a profile automatically. The UI was built to be navigated with your voice and is very straightforward when navigated with the assistance of Kinect.

I hear that the voice recognition is fairly poor. As in, speaking naturally doesn't work, you have to memorize specific phrases. That sounds like far more of a hassle than it's worth.

The only times i have noticed voice controls not working is when the system is logging you in - it cannot complete two actions at one time. Kinect struggles with the doppler effect - in that if you are walking around while speaking to Kinect it sometimes doesn't pick it up...though that usually only applies to 'Xbox On' command which needs to be stated (clearly and authoritatively) rather than just said.

#97 Posted by silversix_ (15537 posts) -

Because MS says its "Better with Kinect". lol

#98 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (1119 posts) -

Kinect makes MS afford brilliant games while keeping losses at a minimum

that why Cows/Sony fanatic hate it.

maybe MS makes money out of it not sure.

#99 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7851 posts) -

To let the NSA watch you fap while you watch porn and play Forza at the same time.

#100 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3230 posts) -

Doesn't it make more sense to pack it in, in every SKU? I mean the kinect isn't that great but making a peripheral would diminish it to just a peripheral.

Since it's in every box developers can develop each game and add kinect functionality and know that they are not limiting their audience.