Everyone Seems to be Bandwagoning on PC

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Everyone Seems to be Bandwagoning on PC (92 votes)

console gaming is dying 70%
loud minority is loud 30%

Compared to any other generations the PC bandwagoning seems to be stronger than ever. It doesn't matter to what forum, youtube video or related gaming website you go the comments are always flooded with PC trolls even when PC is not related to the topic at hand. Even N4G, a place known for its rabid Sony fanboys seems to be flocking to the PC side. The only place I know where console gaming is still respected is at neogaf.

Is this the end of consoles or just the loud minority making a shit ton of noise? It has happened before, at least with games where lots of people make noise and then it still flops sales wise.

• 
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Zelda187: Yes but are you saying these consoles will never have any games? lol. You can't play these console exclusives anywhere else but on the consoles.

I want an i7 and a better card because I want to max out the newest games ( multiplats )....I want consoles because I like to play exclusives. PC exclusives are mostly MMO, RTS games which I don't play.

Most people don't buy both consoles...I am a bad example for the argument.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

Options on the poll suck

Where is the option: "PS4 and Xbone have nothing but upcoming games and if you want to play some games right now PC is the best option" ?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#53 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I don't know whether console gaming is dying or not but industry is going through major changes right now , and PC gaming is indeed growing pretty fast . Anyone , who denies it , is plain ignorant .

I think more people are joining PC community because hardware is alot cheaper than what it used to be before , and while a decent PC costs you a little bit more than consoles in the beginning (700-800$ ATM) , you save alot more in the long run , due to free online and cheaper games .

People have started to realize that on PC , you basically pay less for more/superior multiplats . Another reason could be the huge library . Yes , there are lot of bad games on PC but that's is because library is huge and you can't expect every game to be "masterful" .

At the end of the day , PC gets more high rated games than other platforms and PC exclusives that are good , are unique . Thanks to variety in genres available on PC . Not to mention , backward compatibility and emulators .

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#54 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The consoles are becoming more and more PC like and PCs are becoming more and more user friendly. Consoles are becoming irrelevant.

As PCs start moving to much slimmer and more compact formats and the interfaces are built to work with a multitude of inputs (remote controls, controllers, voice commands, touch screens), the advantages of a console start to fade away. Consoles have stupidly implemented a lot of the hassles of PC gaming without the benefits. Mandatory installations, lots of patches, always-online schemes, lower framerates and visible issues running the game on the hardware (something that a console gamer should never have to deal with), and bloated OS with tons of useless features. Yet still the XBL and PSN store pale in comparison to the multitude of options for digital distribution that the PC has and the hardware is still stuck in long cycles.

Meanwhile on the PC a lot of the old hassles are a thing of the past. Hardware is easy to upgrade now, digital distribution has kept game prices low and game easy to access, maintaining a PC is easier than ever before, and PC software has put an emphasis on usability instead of just features making the experience better. PCs are also far better for multitasking and give PC users a larger variety of uses with the hardware than a console does all for not much more money and without the usability hassle.

In 10 years I would be surprised if we see dedicated game consoles. Sony and Microsoft may change the format to console-like form factor PCs which have a PC operating system installed while diversifying their support to cover the PC instead of just their own proprietary hardware.

I see consoles as a dying trend now that PCs are evolving into much more user friendly packages that can apply to a lot more situations than they could 10 years ago.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 R4gn4r0k

@ghostwarrior786 said:

the great thing about pc gaming is backward compatibility. i just completed max payne 1 for the first time and that game release over a decade ago.

+1

I finished Max Payne 1&2 countless times. Last time I played it was in preparation for Max Payne 3.

Don't need to search for or hook up old systems. Nope, 99% of older games are guaranteed to work on modern PCs. 0.8% needs some workarounds and 0.2 or so is just out of luck :(

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Zelda187: Yes but are you saying these consoles will never have any games? lol. You can't play these console exclusives anywhere else but on the consoles.

I want an i7 and a better card because I want to max out the newest games ( multiplats )....I want consoles because I like to play exclusives. PC exclusives are mostly MMO, RTS games which I don't play.

Most people don't buy both consoles...I am a bad example for the argument.

They certainly won't have any games until at least halfway through 2015...sooooo...

You don't need an i7 to max out new games. i7's really only outperform i5's in heavy duty programs like video editing. If you use your PC strictly for gaming and internet browsing, then why the hell run out and pay $300 for an i7 just so you can get maybe an extra 2-3 FPS in most games? Well, whatever floats your boat...I guess.

And if you're perfectly fine with 1080p gaming on a single monitor, then a GTX 760 or R9 280x is more than enough to max out games for the foreseeable future. My GTX 780 Classified is overkill for what I want in a gaming PC.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

But $1400 isn't cheap and you probably will upgrade in less time than the console cycle.

No, $1400 isn't cheap.

But by the time you've spent $500 on an XBone, built a library of around 10 games, and paid for a year or two subscription to XB Live...then you've spent around $1400.

And you aren't getting anywhere close to the level of gameplay or graphical detail, no access to an assortment of mods, no access to Steam and it's enormous library of super cheap and even free games, etc.

In the long run, console gaming is actually much more expensive than PC gaming and you're getting an inferior product.

And yes, I'll upgrade again before the next console cycle. But I'll probably only upgrade my GPU over the next 2-3 years.

$1400 isn't even necessary.

This $850 PC would max just about everything at 1080p or higher, but you might have to settle with high settings on the five or so games that demand it. If you spent double on the video card (and made the PC $1000) you could get something that maxes everything.

Uses all high-quality parts, complete build including OS.

Still far exceeds the performance of the consoles. It just depends on how much importance you put on maxing games like BF4 and Crysis 3 (I'm sure most people won't die playing a game at high settings). I couldn't care less about either game though, so an $850PC is perfect for someone like me, and in a couple years it can be cheaply upgraded with a second r9 270 if one wants. Tons of it could be recycled for the next build even.

And as far as my personal needs go. I already need a PC anyways. So this $850 PC is better compared to the cost of both a console, and a pre-built PC from Best Buy. You'd obliterate the performance of both with one single system. Sounds like a win to me. Especially considering the consoles have such terrible exclusive lineups nowadays.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Gue1 it says you are online, why did you eject thread so fast?

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@papatrop said:

@Zelda187 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

But $1400 isn't cheap and you probably will upgrade in less time than the console cycle.

No, $1400 isn't cheap.

But by the time you've spent $500 on an XBone, built a library of around 10 games, and paid for a year or two subscription to XB Live...then you've spent around $1400.

And you aren't getting anywhere close to the level of gameplay or graphical detail, no access to an assortment of mods, no access to Steam and it's enormous library of super cheap and even free games, etc.

In the long run, console gaming is actually much more expensive than PC gaming and you're getting an inferior product.

And yes, I'll upgrade again before the next console cycle. But I'll probably only upgrade my GPU over the next 2-3 years.

$1400 isn't even necessary.

This $850 PC would max just about everything at 1080p or higher, but you might have to settle with high settings on the five or so games that demand it. If you spent double on the video card (and made the PC $1000) you could get something that maxes everything.

Uses all high-quality parts, complete build including OS.

Still far exceeds the performance of the consoles. It just depends on how much importance you put on maxing games like BF4 and Crysis 3 (I'm sure most people won't die playing a game at high settings). I couldn't care less about either game though, so an $850PC is perfect for someone like me, and in a couple years it can be cheaply upgraded with a second r9 270 if one wants. Tons of it could be recycled for the next build even.

And as far as my personal needs go. I already need a PC anyways. So this $850 PC is better compared to the cost of both a console, and a pre-built PC from Best Buy. You'd obliterate the performance of both with one single system. Sounds like a win to me. Especially considering the consoles have such terrible exclusive lineups nowadays.

Of course it isn't necessary

The only reason I even spent $1400 is because I got a bigger tax refund than I initially expected. I was originally going to get a GTX 760, but then said screw it, I have a little extra money to thrown around so I'll go with the 780 Classified.

You can easily build a PC that will beat the brakes off a PS4 or XBone for $700-800.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

the great thing about pc gaming is backward compatibility. i just completed max payne 1 for the first time and that game release over a decade ago.

+1

I finished Max Payne 1&2 countless times. Last time I played it was in preparation for Max Payne 3.

Don't need to search for or hook up old systems. Nope, 99% of older games are guaranteed to work on modern PCs. 0.8% needs some workarounds and 0.2 or so is just out of luck :(

i finished max payne 3 first lol i used to start playing max payne 1 but this was when i was a kid and used to get scared of enemies just popping up on the screen so i never made it past the 2nd level. very good game and the graphics have aged very well, hard to believe it released in 01

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

1/ Consoles aren't dying...yet! Though they will change, this could well be the last gen for a dedicated games console. Next gen. is likely to be a TV steaming device that allows access to PS Net or Xbox Cloud.

2/ Not sure when an estimated 900 million PC gamers become a minority?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/03/11/raptr-ceo-embrace-free-to-play-or-get-left-behind/

Didn't vote because both you options are wrong, at the moment!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 R4gn4r0k

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i finished max payne 3 first lol i used to start playing max payne 1 but this was when i was a kid and used to get scared of enemies just popping up on the screen so i never made it past the 2nd level. very good game and the graphics have aged very well, hard to believe it released in 01

If you play them one after another you really start to notice the improvements, like the change in the bullet time system. Or how Max Payne is played by a different actor each time XD

Max Payne 1 was ahead of its time... Graphics have aged a bit but the story and gameplay is still great. So you keep playing :P

TBH I still think Max Payne 2 looks alright today. And it was one of the first games to use ragdolls, which was awesome to see in slow motion. Check that one out if you haven't !

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 R4gn4r0k

@Wasdie said:

The consoles are becoming more and more PC like and PCs are becoming more and more user friendly. Consoles are becoming irrelevant.

As PCs start moving to much slimmer and more compact formats and the interfaces are built to work with a multitude of inputs (remote controls, controllers, voice commands, touch screens), the advantages of a console start to fade away. Consoles have stupidly implemented a lot of the hassles of PC gaming without the benefits. Mandatory installations, lots of patches, always-online schemes, lower framerates and visible issues running the game on the hardware (something that a console gamer should never have to deal with), and bloated OS with tons of useless features. Yet still the XBL and PSN store pale in comparison to the multitude of options for digital distribution that the PC has and the hardware is still stuck in long cycles.

mmmhmmm

I remember a time when I got home with my new consoles and was so excited to play them rightaway

Now I come how to setup my consoles and wait for an update to install -_-

After which I can begin installing my games -_-'

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

Of course it isn't necessary

The only reason I even spent $1400 is because I got a bigger tax refund than I initially expected. I was originally going to get a GTX 760, but then said screw it, I have a little extra money to thrown around so I'll go with the 780 Classified.

You can easily build a PC that will beat the brakes off a PS4 or XBone for $700-800.

I wasn't so much quoting you, as to the person/s saying $1400 was incredibly expensive.

I'd definitely drop more money on a PC if I could for higher resolutions, Occulus Rift, and to be ready for Star Citizen and games like it.

I am actually still using an older PC that's maybe 5 years old now. Plays anything I care to play, but I have had the fortune of building two PCs for friends similar to the build I posted, and they just blow mine away, and mine still performs really well. I wish some gamers would get it in their head that you can build a PC for your needs.

I know someone who strictly built a PC to play old games, those two I mentioned, one who only wants to play an MMO, and others who have built better computers to play games like flight sims with multi-monitor support.

It can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand, but I think those high-end prices scare tons of people who don't realize it's unnecessary outside of a select few people looking to build PCs that fill very specific niches (such as the flight sims).

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Anyone who thinks console gaming is dying is plain moron. Both consoles are selling great, and better than their predecessors.

It's both consoles AND PC that are on the rise, just like general gaming. What's simply happening is dedicated gamers are doing what many, like myself, did years ago.

Gamers are realizing alot of misconceptions like "i like playing with a controller on my couch, not with a keyboard on a chair derp". And with mods, BC, setting options, more and more higher quality exclusives (DOS lately), PC is simply looking better and more appealing. Specially with such weak consoles and mediocre line ups.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@delta3074 said:

i put console gaming is dying simply because anyone who thinks Pc gamers are a minority is deluded as hell quite frankly.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the idea that console gaming is dying--it's just stagnant. There will always be a market for them. But yeah, the PC really is growing like crazy. My aha moment was when I started a new job, and was talking with the guys I worked with about gaming and such--literally every single one of them owned a gaming PC. Some of them even had dual GPUs and everything. Fucking blew my mind. If you're not on PC nowadays, you're quite simply missing out on a whole hell of a lot of amazing games. It's that simple.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

@Dasein808 said:

@Shielder7 said:

Dat unprecedented self-ownage.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i think pc's doing quite well at the moment because of merit.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#72 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

You can't play League, DOTA, or SC2 on consoles.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

PC gaming may be my favorite. But, I'm still looking forward to buying a new console. I'm just waiting for the number of exclusives to hit critical mass. Heck. I didn't even bother with a PS3 until 2009. We got a Wii earlier. But, that's because of the kids. The games they wanted for it (the Wii) were out already.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

PS 4 is making record braking sales and it's got Hermits, Lems and even some Sheep pissed.

It's called damage control hermit learns PS4 is doing supper well, hermit must go on forums and bash PS4 and praise the glorious PC to the point of self gratification.

PC has more sales than all consoles combined at the moment, hardware and software. PS4 is a drop in the pond against PC. It's sad. I won't discuss games in detail, because PC is currently destroying PS4 in high scoring games count by an abnormal degree.

You have no debate. You have nothing. Stick with this shitty trolling.

But at least you have the troll-balls to reply and get stomped on, @Gue1 just ran with his tail behind his legs.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 7MDMA
@jun_aka_pekto said:

PC gaming may be my favorite. But, I'm still looking forward to buying a new console. I'm just waiting for the number of exclusives to hit critical mass. Heck. I didn't even bother with a PS3 until 2009. We got a Wii earlier. But, that's because of the kids. The games they wanted for it (the Wii) were out already.

What's critical mass for you?

If X1 or PS4 ever get 5 awesome exclusives I'll consider purchasing one (used.) So far it's potentially Halo 5 for X1 and potentially UC4 and Bloodborne for PS4. Might only pick 1 of them up in 2016 if at all this gen.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 7MDMA

@Motokid6 said:

Halo is the only reason to own a console. MCE+Halo 5=Xbone sold to this guy.

There are rumours MCE is coming to PC. It's been hinted by the dev so I'd say the chances are very good once its X1 appeal has worn off.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@Wasdie said:

It's sad to see someone as smart as you become a delusional hermit. Consoles aren't going anywhere and if they were truly becoming irrelevant they wouldn't be making record breaking sales.

Mandatory installations, lots of patches, always-online schemes maybe trying to creep there way on consoles to an extent but that doesn't change the fact they're rampant on PCs. And if you recall the always online crap was shut down because people said no.

I don't think hardware is as easy to upgrade as you let on, not to mention one aspect I like about consoles is you don't have to upgrade it and you can play games on it that you couldn't with PC that's similar. Take Skyrim for instance the PS 3 and 360 had what 512mb and the minimum spec for PC was 2GB.

PC prices on games aren't just lower from general competition it's also to combat piracy it's why Itunes are such a good deal. If you eliminated piracy tomorrow PC games would skyrocket and the DRM BS wouldn't be going away in fact it would probably increase.

If consoles were to go away publishers would have to fight piracy on a whole new level and a lot of them might just go under, a lot of people are willing to pirate PC but prefer a physical copies on consoles . Consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon and that includes the next 10 , and that's something you're just going to have to #Dealwith

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#79 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

What can you say? The PC is superior Platform and everyone is just now figuring out why.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

People are slowly but steadily realising that the PC is the best gaming platform,so no wonder PC gaming is getting huge,lots of people coming from being console gamers to the PC these days,and they´re not going back.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Shielder7

@MrYaotubo said:

People are slowly but steadily realising that the PC is the best gaming platform,so no wonder PC gaming is getting huge,lots of people coming from being console gamers to the PC these days,and they´re not going back.

PS 4 sales say otherwise, Not everyone is into FTP and MOBAS.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

PS 4 sales say otherwise, Not everyone is into FTP and MOBAS.

Then it´s a good thing that the PC has pretty much almost every single genre covered.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

@Wasdie said:

It's sad to see someone as smart as you become a delusional hermit. Consoles aren't going anywhere and if they were truly becoming irrelevant they wouldn't be making record breaking sales.

Mandatory installations, lots of patches, always-online schemes maybe trying to creep there way on consoles to an extent but that doesn't change the fact they're rampant on PCs. And if you recall the always online crap was shut down because people said no.

I don't think hardware is as easy to upgrade as you let on, not to mention one aspect I like about consoles is you don't have to upgrade it and you can play games on it that you couldn't with PC that's similar. Take Skyrim for instance the PS 3 and 360 had what 512mb and the minimum spec for PC was 2GB.

PC prices on games aren't just lower from general competition it's also to combat piracy it's why Itunes are such a good deal. If you eliminated piracy tomorrow PC games would skyrocket and the DRM BS wouldn't be going away in fact it would probably increase.

If consoles were to go away publishers would have to fight piracy on a whole new level and a lot of them might just go under, a lot of people are willing to pirate PC but prefer a physical copies on consoles . Consoles aren't going away where anytime soon and that includes the next 10 years and that's something you're just going to have to #Dealwith

Delusional because he states the truth? ROFL

Mandatory installations ? Is not like consoles don't get those, patches? Same as consoles. Always online rampant? ROFL lie more please. Paying for multiplayer? oh wait thats on consoles. Yes hardware is quite easy to upgrade if you are not a moron. And you don't have to upgrade on consoles because in 5 years when we get these awesome games with full eye candy your consoles will still be struggling and making sacrifices to run at 900p and 30 fps with drops. Yes Skyrim minimal requiriments are higher on PC, d'uh, but have you seen Skyrim on PC? ofc you haven't, you can actually see more than 3 steps front of you. With mods or even vanilla with full graphics options is a different game.

Pc Prices are way lower, no matter how you put it, just steam sales destroy an y price for games in consoles, not to mention other sites. the reason? Who cares. But Please do keep talking about "ifs"

#Dealwithit my dear peasant.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Nothin like gaming on a console and PC, wish I had a 3DS and vita to round that shyt out.

The options!! it's glorious

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Shielder7

@RoboCopISJesus said:

PC has more sales than all consoles combined at the moment, hardware and software. PS4 is a drop in the pond against PC. It's sad. I won't discuss games in detail, because PC is currently destroying PS4 in high scoring games count by an abnormal degree.

Because outside of MOBAs and 15 year old games they are none. PC hardware could be used for a lot more than gaming and most of PC game revenue comes from micro-transactions not AAA games.

You're right tho I guess I have nothing next to the PC. Except incredible games that get GOTY awards THAT PC CAN'T EVER HOPE TO GET!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Console gaming is not dying....

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Wasdie said:

If consoles were to go away publishers would have to fight piracy on a whole new level and a lot of them might just go under, a lot of people are willing to pirate PC but prefer a physical copies on consoles . Consoles aren't going away where anytime soon and that includes the next 10 years and that's something you're just going to have to #Dealwith

Mandatory installations ? Is not like consoles don't get those, patches? Same as consoles. Always online rampant? ROFL lie more please. Paying for multiplayer? oh wait thats on consoles. Yes hardware is quite easy to upgrade if you are not a moron. And you don't have to upgrade on consoles because in 5 years when we get these awesome games with full eye candy your consoles will still be struggling and making sacrifices to run at 900p and 30 fps with drops. Yes Skyrim minimal requiriments are higher on PC, d'uh, but have you seen Skyrim on PC? ofc you haven't, you can actually see more than 3 steps front of you. With mods or even vanilla with full graphics options is a different game.

Pc Prices are way lower, no matter how you put it, just steam sales destroy an y price for games in consoles, not to mention other sites. the reason? Who cares. But Please do keep talking about "ifs"

To be fair, Steam sales are mainly older games, good prices for those titles they may be, and I have bought a few myself, however if you compare a new Multiplat title from Origin such as dragon age deluxe edition its £59.99 and the retailer game lists the PS4 deluxe edition for £59.99, though I would concede that when you taking into account internet deals, codes etc.. that the PC tends to work out a bit cheaper, but certainly not a massive amount on a new title.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ccagracing said:

@Krelian-co said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Wasdie said:

To be fair, Steam sales are mainly older games, good prices for those titles they may be, and I have bought a few myself, however if you compare a new Multiplat title from Origin such as dragon age deluxe edition its £59.99 and the retailer game lists the PS4 deluxe edition for £59.99, though I would concede that when you taking into account internet deals, codes etc.. that the PC tends to work out a bit cheaper, but certainly not a massive amount on a new title.

New games on Steam cost the same. That's why i always say Steam prices are good for sales.

However, here in europe and the UK, PC prices are cheaper. On amazon UK, new releases are usualy 5-15 pounds cheaper. At G2A, i can get new game releases at 30-40 euros (yes, it's a legit site) and their prices are amazing all around. It's all about where you look. Also, pc game prices tend to fall much faster than next gen consoles, similar to how PS360 are doing right now.

In the US though, seems to be harder.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#89  Edited By CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

I game on both my PC and PS3/Vita. I to game on my PS3. I only play rpg games on my PC.. mainly D3, Torchlight 2, Skyrim, and Kingdoms of Amalur. Everything else on my PS3 or Vita. I don't see either dying but I can understand why people prefer consoles or PC.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@ccagracing said:

@Krelian-co said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Wasdie said:

New games on Steam cost the same. That's why i always say Steam prices are good for sales.

However, here in europe and the UK, PC prices are cheaper. On amazon UK, new releases are usualy 5-15 pounds cheaper. At G2A, i can get new game releases at 30-40 euros (yes, it's a legit site) and their prices are amazing all around. It's all about where you look. Also, pc game prices tend to fall much faster than next gen consoles, similar to how PS360 are doing right now.

In the US though, seems to be harder.

Im from the UK myself and wouldn't buy from Game as a first choice, as I find them overpriced. Hotukdeals is usually my first port of call, but for the average shopper it will be Game and the like.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ccagracing said:

@Krelian-co said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Wasdie said:

See? this is why consolites can't be taken seriously (i highly doubt you have "bought a few yourself") anyone who has participated in steam sales know that they also put new games on sale. In the case of dragon age you are talking about a game that is not even out and you want it to be on sale already? lul. By new games i mean games with 1-2 years, if you are talking about games that are not even out, then lol again. For example i got dark souls 2 that was just released march this year for $30, thats 33% off and it wasn't even 6 months since release when i bought it.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I think the rise in popularity is because of the rise in interest/popularity of the digital marketplace. Consoles still don't have the experience, permanence, catalogue, or openness of the PC platform.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Once again we have the usual suspects with their hands clamped over their ears. Consoles are dying, they have been dying since the 360. Just look at PS Vita TV. You don't even need a console to play those games.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I've been seeing more and more PC gamers at college, even my friends are hopping on the PC hype train because of Steam. These college students don't have the cash to spend $60 for a game and Steam sales are so cheap that they are able to afford a decent desktop $600-800 range and a huge library of games. Not to mention, current gen hardware is low end(xbox one) and marginally mid-range(PS4), and people want the best possible experience that money can buy, and that is the PC. AAA console games are dying, too linear and generic and most people care about multiplats.

The only console first party titles that spark an interest these days is games from Nintendo. Just look at E3 2014 and the hype around the Wii U compared to the AAA titles from Xbox One and PS4. As PC gains more support from publishers, consoles will feel irrelevant to own.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@Shielder7 said:

@Wasdie said:

If consoles were to go away publishers would have to fight piracy on a whole new level and a lot of them might just go under, a lot of people are willing to pirate PC but prefer a physical copies on consoles . Consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon and that includes the next 10 , and that's something you're just going to have to #Dealwith

You call me the delusional one but you didn't even fully read what I said. I admitted that those problems exist on PCs (and are less of a problem each year) but they come at a huge benefit, price and compatibility. Does your game console have a library of well over 10 thousand titles and growing? No it doesn't. If you're response for that is "I only care about new games" then you're just moving the goal post and trying to avoid that argument.

Upgrades can be very easy. On the PC they already are and there is nothing stopping a manufacturer from building a form factor that is built around easy upgrades. This would be a console-like PC's advantage over traditional desktops. Maybe a slightly higher price point for plug-and-play capabilities for upgrades. You're thinking too much within the realm of what current products are on the shelf now, not what could be in the future. They are already talking about modular phones, the same kind if ideas could be applied to PCs no problem. Hell hardware today is almost all plug and play already. It's not unrealistic to see PCs becoming much more modular and easy to upgrade/swap parts.

Piracy isn't nearly the problem you say it is. If it was, there wouldn't be PC games. Simple as that. If there was no money to be made on a PC then there would be no PC games. That's the beauty of a profit driven market. Clearly you don't understand that concept.

Prices are cheaper on the PC for a huge number of reasons and the way you worded your argument is almost like you are defending higher game costs on the consoles. That's quite pathetic. I don't see any other way to interpret your words. You're literally defending higher prices on the consoles as lower prices are just to fight piracy instead of being a better priced product for the customer so that they increase their total sales.

The current game consoles are selling well but there is no guarantee that they will continue to set records and it's a proven fact that each year PC gaming becomes larger and more profitable. The Facebook game craze is over, those people went to tablets, yet PC game revenues are still increasing as the amount of games being made on the PC is also increasing. Right now the majority of games on the market are released on the PC. There are only a small percent that do not appear on the PC, and that number seems to shrink every year.

I'm sorry you're clinging onto outdated tech so much. Consoles had a place for years but it's finally time that they are being replaced by a superior piece of technology that can do everything a console can and more. It's not delusional at all to think that. Right now the PS4 and Xbox One are PCs with a custom OS. That's it. They have no unique hardware anymore, they can't do anything a PC can, they don't have any special niche they fill that a PC couldn't. Up until the 7th gen, the consoles have provided some sort of hardware advantage not found on a PC in addition to the form factor that fits a living room setting. This is no longer the case. The 8th gen marked the first generation where a console had no tech or power advantage on PCs. That ended in 2006 with the launch of unified shader GPUs on the PC. Since then the PCs have been driving tech and software and the consoles have just been taking from that an adapting.

If you're worried that the plug-and-play nature of consoles is going to go away you shouldn't fret. There is a market out there for plug-and-play gaming machines. Sony and Microsoft fill this role already. I already said that I forsee them being the real players in that console-like form factor for a PC. The next Xbox and Playstation may end up being custom PCs with Windows/Linux as their operating system and Sony and Microsoft exclusive software. This means that Sony and Microsoft could expand their gaming software to the ever growing PC market and start capitalizing off of something that they are missing out on.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@Shielder7 said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Because outside of MOBAs and 15 year old games they are none. PC hardware could be used for a lot more than gaming and most of PC game revenue comes from micro-transactions not AAA games.

You're right tho I guess I have nothing next to the PC. Except incredible games that get GOTY awards THAT PC CAN'T EVER HOPE TO GET!

Like what games? The 1% of games released each year exclusive solely to consoles? Last I checked, the vast majority of games are on the PC and will continue to be released on the PC.

You're also missing hundreds of new and great titles that you'll never be able to play on a console.

I would love to hear your qualifier for AAA games. Short linear romps with virtually no replayability? That's the majority of big-named console exclusives. Uncharted? Linear. The Order 1886? Linear. Halo? Linear but does at least offer decent multiplayer for a bit until the servers are empty or completely shut down (see Halo 4 and Halo 2). I look at my shelf of all of the console games I own from last gen and this gen and I don't see any exclusives that were more than linear romps that I paid a lot for.

It's not my problem if you're going to dismiss hundreds of great games on the PC because you somehow have come to the conclusion you hate the genre (and given your posting here I doubt you've ever played those series much). That's basically moving the goalpost further and avoiding the arguments.

Also posting gifs doesn't make your argument better.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Once again @Wasdie shuts down the thread with impeccable knowledge, logic and reasoning.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#100 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Shielder7 said:

The Sheer Ignorance. It hurts.

Watch that Video. Find out what won Game of the Year in 2011. SPOILER ALERT: It was The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, a Game that's on PC and is STILL one of the top 10 games most played on Steam.

PC doesn't get Game of The Years what?