Every FPS a generic FPS??

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by spidermonkey11 (1716 posts) -

Everytime an FPS is brought up as great or a really well done game. The world generic is brought up every single time. So what First Person Shooters are not generic this generation of gaming?

#2 Posted by plod2 (289 posts) -
Battlefield Bad Company is probably considered generic but the online is the best. Its much more fun than stupid Team Deathmatch. Team Deathmatch should be banned, its in like every FPS and it sucks!
#3 Posted by AlphaGamer469 (1881 posts) -
Any FPS's not exclusive on PS3..../thread
#4 Posted by Zoolasaurus (69 posts) -
Any FPS's since Doom..../threadAlphaGamer469
#5 Posted by superjim42 (3588 posts) -
bioshock says no..../thread
#6 Posted by ganon92 (968 posts) -
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
#7 Posted by jeffwulf (1569 posts) -
Stalker, Team Fortress, Bioshock.
#8 Posted by Zoolasaurus (69 posts) -
Metroid Prime Series. Is this counted as FPS or FPA or Just totally kickass?
#9 Posted by Dr-Doctor (707 posts) -
The Half Life 2 episodes.
#10 Posted by Silent-Hal (9795 posts) -
Half-Life 2 Episodes One & Two, Bioshock, The Darkness and Condemned
#11 Posted by Tony-Harrison (1884 posts) -

The Darkness is not generic at all. In fact, it's a brilliant non-linear shooter with RPG elements with a great story and great voice acting by Faith No More's Mike Patton.

Definitely the most underrated FPS this generation.

#12 Posted by Veterngamer (2037 posts) -

see: Farcry2

/thread

#13 Posted by primateface (1095 posts) -

Everytime an FPS is brought up as great or a really well done game. The world generic is brought up every single time. So what First Person Shooters are not generic this generation of gaming?

spidermonkey11

all fps suck now

#14 Posted by chutup (7656 posts) -
World of Warcraft.
Avatar image for Solid_Snake1221
#15 Posted by Solid_Snake1221 (8658 posts) -
[QUOTE="spidermonkey11"]

primateface

all fps suck now

That is one highly incorrect generalization. Sure, a lot do indeed suck, but there are a few handful that are quite good.

#16 Posted by MerisYaki (967 posts) -

Yes, since the gameplay is always the same.

#17 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -
A generic FPS IMO is a game with many many similar elements to most other shooters on the market at the time, and that does nothing new or interesting, so yeah Battlefield BC is very generic. What's funny is how people consider stuff like Halo generic "Aliens attack earth, man saves planet" I would say that isn't as generic anymore as it would've been 5 or 6 years ago, now generic is a gritty war based shooter, rechargeable health, bland graphics, stupid attempts at realism "Oooh it's got cover just like real life! And you need to use this cover while waiting for your health to come back...just like real life..." and all those kinda of things. WW2 shooters are less generic now as well, they are overdone sure, but there aren't many any more they're slowly becoming less generic.
#18 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

all FPS games do the same stuff, but i still enjoy them... the only thing which might make a difference is a good story with some interesting characters (ie Half-life series)... as for the rest you move/run, jump, shoot, open doors,shoot and repeat that many many times...

Mirror's Edge seems quite interesting though...

#19 Posted by jonnyt61 (2147 posts) -

Any FPS's not exclusive on PS3..../threadAlphaGamer469
A generic FPS IMO is a game with many many similar elements to most other shooters on the market at the time, and that does nothing new or interesting, so yeah Battlefield BC is very generic. What's funny is how people consider stuff like Halo generic "Aliens attack earth, man saves planet" I would say that isn't as generic anymore as it would've been 5 or 6 years ago, now generic is a gritty war based shooter, rechargeable health, bland graphics, stupid attempts at realism "Oooh it's got cover just like real life! And you need to use this cover while waiting for your health to come back...just like real life..." and all those kinda of things. WW2 shooters are less generic now as well, they are overdone sure, but there aren't many any more they're slowly becoming less generic.bobbetybob

Uhh... Gears, Resistance and Halo all use "Aliens attack planet, people save planet"
There's 3 of the biggest FPS using the same general theme. That's pretty much proof of the generic story.

The one that actually differs from that, is Resistance 2, as it's not set in the future, and the storyline seems to be more about Humans becoming the enemy, through infection/creation, as opposed to actual alien lifeforms.

#20 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

[QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]Any FPS's not exclusive on PS3..../threadjonnyt61

A generic FPS IMO is a game with many many similar elements to most other shooters on the market at the time, and that does nothing new or interesting, so yeah Battlefield BC is very generic. What's funny is how people consider stuff like Halo generic "Aliens attack earth, man saves planet" I would say that isn't as generic anymore as it would've been 5 or 6 years ago, now generic is a gritty war based shooter, rechargeable health, bland graphics, stupid attempts at realism "Oooh it's got cover just like real life! And you need to use this cover while waiting for your health to come back...just like real life..." and all those kinda of things. WW2 shooters are less generic now as well, they are overdone sure, but there aren't many any more they're slowly becoming less generic.bobbetybob

Uhh... Gears, Resistance and Halo all use "Aliens attack planet, people save planet"
There's 3 of the biggest FPS using the same general theme. That's pretty much proof of the generic story.

The one that actually differs from that, is Resistance 2, as it's not set in the future, and the storyline seems to be more about Humans becoming the enemy, through infection/creation, as opposed to actual alien lifeforms.

true, only that Geow is not an FPS...

#21 Posted by jonnyt61 (2147 posts) -
[QUOTE="jonnyt61"]

[QUOTE="AlphaGamer469"]Any FPS's not exclusive on PS3..../threadMalta_1980

Still, one of the bigger shooters, I suppose. Good catch on that though, I completely missed it.

#22 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"][QUOTE="jonnyt61"]

jonnyt61

Still, one of the bigger shooters, I suppose. Good catch on that though, I completely missed it.

its only human to make mistakes... i agree with your post though and yes Geow is one of the biggest shooters out there... cant wait till both Geow2 & Resistance2 get released...

#23 Posted by akif22 (16012 posts) -

Bioshock wasn't generic

neither was Portal .. not quite a FPS, but has a lot of the elements of one

#24 Posted by mr_mozilla (2381 posts) -
There are lot of generic FPS games, there are just so many of them and the basic concept is so simple that they are bound to repeat the same pattern time after time. But there are few non-generic FPS every now and then like Stalker, TOB(TF2+Portal), FC2 and possibly The Darkness, haven't played it tho.
#25 Posted by Espada12 (23248 posts) -
Most FPS are generic though, very few try to step outside the forumla, because generic sells (points to cod 4)
#26 Posted by xscrapzx (6552 posts) -

Battlefield Bad Company is probably considered generic but the online is the best. Its much more fun than stupid Team Deathmatch. Team Deathmatch should be banned, its in like every FPS and it sucks!plod2

So don't play it then, thats why FPS's have different types of multiplayer modes. Team Deathmatch is a blast thats why it is so popular and basically on every FPS there is.

As for the TC, I think the reason imo people call a lot of FPSs generic is if they don't bring anything new to the table besides a different story and character than that of the competition. Atleast thats what I call a generic FPS, when you come in with slightly different guns with nothing different to me thats a generic shooter.

#27 Posted by xscrapzx (6552 posts) -

Bioshock wasn't generic

akif22

No Bioshock was no generic hence I think a lot of people don't call it generic. They brought a lot of new stuff to the table that a lot of current FPSs did not.

#28 Posted by Espada12 (23248 posts) -
[QUOTE="akif22"]

Bioshock wasn't generic

xscrapzx

No Bioshock was no generic hence I think a lot of people don't call it generic. They brought a lot of new stuff to the table that a lot of current FPSs did not.

Not really new stuff... just underused stuff. So the game felt different to most FPS because it didn't follow the exact generic path most of them do. I mean every FPS has these 4 weapons, Rocket Launcher,SMG,Pistol,Shotgun.. only in resistance I see some attempt to get creative, modern day military FPS have an excuse but the other sci-fi ones don't..

#29 Posted by xscrapzx (6552 posts) -
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="akif22"]

Bioshock wasn't generic

Espada12

Not really new stuff... just underused stuff. So the game felt different to most FPS because it didn't follow the exact generic path most of them do. I mean every FPS has these 4 weapons, Rocket Launcher,SMG,Pistol,Shotgun.. only in resistance I see some attempt to get creative, modern day military FPS have an excuse but the other sci-fi ones don't..

What does Resistance do that makes you believe that they are getting creative?

#30 Posted by superjim42 (3588 posts) -
[QUOTE="Espada12"][QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="akif22"]

Bioshock wasn't generic

xscrapzx

resistence had some awesome weapons thats it.

its not generic in that sense but its nothing new either. just something different

#31 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23433 posts) -

A guy once told me Resistance and Halo 3 were generic shooters, and when i asked him to explain he said "well... y'know, you just shoot the bad guys with guns 'n stuff."

"Generic" is a word used by people who want to bash a game but cant think of anything to legitimately bash.

#32 Posted by superjim42 (3588 posts) -

A guy once told me Resistance and Halo 3 were generic shooters, and when i asked him to explain he said "well... y'know, you just shoot the bad guys with guns 'n stuff."

"Generic" is a word used by people who want to bash a game but cant think of anything to legitimately bash.

Ninja-Hippo

ye i have seen that too. if that was the case all games would be 'generic' :lol:

#33 Posted by Skittles_McGee (9136 posts) -

None, they all have guns and shooting in them. Come on, the first person shooter genre NEEDS innovation! Like maybe you could have.. uh... like... COCONUTS! Yeah, you have coconuts. And then with those you... mix drinks, yes. In first person. And then you SHOOT some flavor into them! Haha! INNOVATIVE!

Seriously, I dunno. CAN you make an FPS that someone won't call generic? I dunno, I don't care. Their loss, my gain :D

#34 Posted by angelkimne (14037 posts) -

Hisry Channel : Battle For The Pacific

Totally orginal.

#35 Posted by superjim42 (3588 posts) -

Totally orginal.

angelkimne

itz teh genericz u shoots teh ppls with teh gunsz

#36 Posted by Skittles_McGee (9136 posts) -
[QUOTE="angelkimne"]

Totally orginal.

superjim42

itz teh genericz u shoots teh ppls with teh gunsz

No u dont u nub. This gaem is so awesome you dunt get to shot anyting, it dunt work gud enuf!
#37 Posted by Koba123 (1739 posts) -
There are some good FPS games out there other than those generic ones.

Bioshock, The Darkness and FEAR come to mind.

FEAR was first made last gen, but I believe it's for ps3 too.
#38 Posted by Espada12 (23248 posts) -

xscrapzx

Sorry wasn't clear, weapons wise I mean't it wasn't generic.

Avatar image for organic_machine
#39 Posted by organic_machine (9883 posts) -
Define Generic. It really depends on what you define it as. I can see why one would want to call CoD4 genreic, but I consider it to be more so archaic than it is generic.
#40 Posted by 11Marcel (7241 posts) -

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about an fps being generic or not. Often people judge fps purely by story and atmosphere when talking about generic. That's basically wrong because:

1. There's only so many atmospheres you can create, and only so many stories you can tell. You can't expect every developer to come up with a new goal for the game. A game being generic because "it's just aliens invade earth, you gotta defeat them etc." just isn't true most times. It's how the dev fills the story, how it's being told, and how unique the game is that makes it non generic.

2. Most fps are not even about the story. A shooter is mainly there for shooting fun. If shadowrun had a generic atmosphere and storyline, it would still be one of the least generic shooters out there. Why? Simply because you can do all kinds of crazy stuff like teleporting through walls and turn into smoke. Anyone who'd call such a game generic is just looking for a weak excuse to dislike the game. This goes for most top rated fps actually.

#41 Posted by VulcanMage119 (684 posts) -

Metroid Prime Series. Is this counted as FPS or FPA or Just totally kickass?Zoolasaurus

JTK

#42 Posted by VulcanMage119 (684 posts) -

[QUOTE="plod2"]Battlefield Bad Company is probably considered generic but the online is the best. Its much more fun than stupid Team Deathmatch. Team Deathmatch should be banned, its in like every FPS and it sucks!xscrapzx

So don't play it then, thats why FPS's have different types of multiplayer modes. Team Deathmatch is a blast thats why it is so popular and basically on every FPS there is.

As for the TC, I think the reason imo people call a lot of FPSs generic is if they don't bring anything new to the table besides a different story and character than that of the competition. Atleast thats what I call a generic FPS, when you come in with slightly different guns with nothing different to me thats a generic shooter.

See, I'm fine with that really lol, some things they FPS's could alter would be just the speed of the game, the environment (planet's, space anyone?) the scope of the game (either very large, or very small either could be cool) gravity, and obviously characters and how cool the weapons are.

#43 Posted by DaBrainz (7783 posts) -
These games offer different levels of polish, but overall are very similar. It seems if a game strays too much from the FPS formula its awarded its very own catagory, like MP is FPA.
#44 Posted by thegoldenpoo (5136 posts) -

Stalker, Team Fortress, Bioshock.jeffwulf

Half-life2, Crysis.

#45 Posted by RK-Mara (11488 posts) -
STALKER is definitely not generic.
#46 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
there is nothing generic about farcry (pc) crysis or stalker. but yeah most fps are generic, cod4, halo etc
#47 Posted by Evz0rz (4624 posts) -

Bioshock wasn't generic

akif22

It is generic compared to what System Shock was, but I loved it anyway. I thought Resistance was really non-generic as well. The storyline is really cool and it has a lot of unique weapons.

EDIT: How could I have forgot STALKER

#48 Posted by strudel420 (3687 posts) -

The people who label every FPS as generic are most likely limited as to the variety of games they play and should just be ignored.

#49 Posted by TargetDog (10076 posts) -
STALKER is the only true FPS that came out this gun which significantly deviates from the usual FPS formula, IMO. Games like Crysis and FEAR have stuff like slo-mo and suit abilities, but in the end they're still all about going straight forward and shooting stuff. Bioshock seems to offer open-ended gameplay, but it's really more of an illusion than anything. There are 4 FPS games I can think of that offer truely unique experiences: System Shock 2, Deus Ex, STALKER and the Chronicles of Riddick.
Avatar image for SCREAMIN_MANTIS
#50 Posted by SCREAMIN_MANTIS (273 posts) -
[QUOTE="akif22"]

Bioshock wasn't generic

Evz0rz

It is generic compared to what System Shock was, but I loved it anyway. I thought Resistance was really non-generic as well. The storyline is really cool and it has a lot of unique weapons.

EDIT: How could I have forgot STALKER

ur sig is hilarious!!!