Ever have seconds thoughts about games you liked?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by vashkey (33770 posts) -

Have you ever started to feel a game you once really enjoyed really wasn't as great as you use to think it was.

Lately I've really felt that way toward Assassin's Creed and the Arkham games.

With Arkham the games always tell you where to go, constantly drop hints and prompt you and cluster the hud with info. The enemy ai is really stupid in the stealth sections and the combat usually consists of hitting the attack button till you're prompted to counter with the exception of a few enemies that require you to stun or jump behind.

As for Assassin's Creed a lot of the side activities and the stealth system itself feel inconsequential. I'm in the minority here but I actually thought the first one was pretty good because stealth had a purpose. The combat is horrendous and like Batman you're constantly babied, given button prompts and constantly shown where to go and what exactly to do and how to do it.

Same for 3d Sonic though, rather Sonic Adventure 2. The cutscenes, voice acting and music are so harshly cringe inducing, the camera is frustrating, only the Sonic and Shadow levels are any fun

#2 Edited by vashkey (33770 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts too. I actually still really enjoy it but the combat system isn't nearly as good as I thought it was when I was younger.

#3 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19064 posts) -

Theres nothing wrong with Batman's combat system, if you want a challenge then play The Challenge mode. As for Assassin's Creed, I only like the 1st one.

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19064 posts) -

Also I never second guess my games, my oppinions on them are very thorough.

#5 Edited by GreySeal9 (25618 posts) -

@vashkey said:

Kingdom Hearts too. I actually still really enjoy it but the combat system isn't nearly as good as I thought it was when I was younger.

Agreed. It's an enjoyable experience overall but the combat is not particularly exciting, the magic is more trouble to use than its worth, and the camera is horrendous.

The Kingdom Hearts game for 3DS has excellent combat tho.

#6 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Rarely. I only play 10 or fewer games a year and usually i enjoy them alot and don't change my opinion on them.

Referring to what someone said about kingdom hearts, its enjoyable but toooooooo easy.

#7 Posted by sukraj (24222 posts) -

I always do my research before i buy my games that way i dont get dissapointed.

#9 Edited by jake44 (2064 posts) -

I recently had the opposite happen. Tried to play Dragon's Dogma on a few occasions and couldn't get into it for varies reasons, but now I've put in over 80 hours.

#10 Posted by Star0 (451 posts) -

I have those thoughts about women, not games.

#12 Posted by parkurtommo (28108 posts) -

I popped in my BFME2 disc a week or 2 ago for the first time in years, and I immediately noticed the 30 fps cap, lack of 1080p option without editing config, and the camera field of view is HORRENDOUS. I used to adore this game, like as my favorite RTS of all time, but after that I would definitely say that Starcraft 2 is better, hell even Starcraft 1.

It was literally a console port... of an RTS. EA was pathetic even back in 2006.

#13 Edited by cainetao11 (20287 posts) -

@vashkey: I'm not the biggest assassins creed fan but you are aware you don't have to play arkham with the counter notifications? Ok, maybe the first time, not sure, but play on a higher difficulty. Its challenging. Never understood why people complain a game is easy on normal. There are harder difficulties.

#14 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3550 posts) -

Kingdom hearts comes to mind I remember being so enamoured by the story and now looking back it was kinda cheesy and cringe, still holds a place in my heart though

#15 Posted by sukraj (24222 posts) -

@Star0 said:

sexy women?

#16 Posted by Alcapello (1312 posts) -

Forza.......with so many new racing games coming, some of which are free it almost make me want to check my priorities.

#17 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9541 posts) -

I have these thoughts mostly about games I've played when I was younger. I was more easily impressed and have matured in my gaming tastes a great deal.

I'd have to say that, while still having a great deal of nostalgic value, all of RARE's Donkey kong games from Country to 64 are not what I felt they were when I was a young lad. They all have a great deal of flaws.

The Country games suffered from their own visuals. Detecting where the edges of a platform actually started had a good deal of guess work to it and many levels had questionable design choices in addition to the ambiguity.

DK 64 went way too far with the collectables. It's just a series of random tasks and less about designing enjoyable/quality platforming levels. I've come to rather dislike the Mario 64 style of 3D platformers and DK 64 took that concept way too far.

I think I started to really criticize these games more when Retro starting making their own Donkey Kongs. Retro just did a far superior job in essentially every single possible aspect.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy those older games, but I used to consider them some of the best platformers out there. Now I feel differently. Now I have a more well formed opinion about good game design.

#18 Posted by Star0 (451 posts) -

@sukraj: sexy women/gold diggers.

#19 Posted by TheEroica (14621 posts) -

Yeah, a lot of big budget hand holders are tough to play through a second time... one reason why I'm so picky about which games to drop 60$ on.... one reason why people should always have an indie like rogue legacy, resogun or antichamber locked and loaded for when those big AAA's reach borsville as they often do.

#20 Posted by hehe101 (688 posts) -

Bioshock

#21 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Assassin's Cree IV. Started off great and I really liked it and the boat stuff but when I stood back and properly looked at it I realised it wasn't all that great

#22 Posted by drekula2 (3288 posts) -

zelda: skyward sword. i fell into the hype, but then i realized that it was a 7.5/10 plain and simple

#23 Posted by Star0 (451 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Rev.

So many hours...wasted.

#24 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9541 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

zelda: skyward sword. i fell into the hype, but then i realized that it was a 7.5/10 plain and simple

I was actually the opposite with that game. I really didn't like it much at the beginning, but that's just because I was expecting a Zelda game. I had to shed the expectations I had going into the experience and just enjoy the different direction the game took. I now love it as an experience that's never been done before and It does it so well too.

I'd say it's not the best at being a Zelda game, but it's exceptional at the experience it does offer. The fact that it's called Zelda is what holds it back in the public eye. At least that's my two cents on it.

#25 Edited by Boddicker (3311 posts) -

XCOM: Enemy Within

I loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown so was excited for this Firaxis type full expansion. What we got was an unplayable mess with them looking like they've abandoned the game to work on Civ: Beyond Earth. They have released no patches for the console version. Inexcusable for an obviously unfinished product with several game breaking bugs (corrupted saves too) that came out last November.

As usual Firaxis has remained insultingly silent on the issue and their site has no boards. So we take our completely justified bitching and moaning to the 2K boards with several players swearing off Firaxis games for good if this the kind of treatment we can expect.

#26 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8146 posts) -

It's not really the same thing, but there are a lot of games that I completely change my opinion on over the course of my first playthrough. I hated Morrowind the first time I played it because the combat was so bad, but I grew to love it because the skill system was somewhat deep, and the exploration was top notch. I felt completely the opposite about Oblivion. At first, it felt like Bethesda fixed all of the flaws of Morrowind and made the perfect game. But after a few hours of playing the game, I started to realize that everything that made Morrowind great was gone, and I was left with nothing but a bunch of fetch quests with map markers. Skyrim was the same way, but I had already played Oblivion, so my opinion was never very good toward that game. Assassin's Creed 4 is another game that I loved for about 10 hours and grew to hate.

#27 Posted by glez13 (9065 posts) -

Bioshock series. I was a fanboy of the first one and was hyping the second one. Then I played System Shock 2 and realized that the Bioshock series wasn't really that good.

Also current open world Ubisoft games: Assasin's Creed series, Farcry 2 and 3 and Watch Dogs. I usually start liking them but then down the road I realize that Ubi's open world is highly canned into a formula I dislike and that they basically are copy-pasting in most of their recent games. Stuff is just presented to you in such a systematized form that it almost counters the purpose of an open world.

#28 Posted by vashkey (33770 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

Assassin's Cree IV. Started off great and I really liked it and the boat stuff but when I stood back and properly looked at it I realised it wasn't all that great

Same. That was kind of the turning point for the franchise for me. I enjoyed IV at first but the activities at sea just repeat themselves and feel the exact same every time. Once the naval stuff loses it's luster in that game it's just the same Assassin's Creed as always and all the flaws stand out even stronger after having played so many of these games iwithout much breathing room

#29 Posted by Basinboy (11494 posts) -

Yes, but only after returning to it years after the fact.

#31 Posted by Boddicker (3311 posts) -

@sukraj said:

I wish it was that simple.

You've never bought a sequel day 1 only to find it sucks compared to its predecessor?

#32 Posted by Heil68 (48451 posts) -

ODST comes to mind as well as Brutal Legend.

#34 Posted by GoldenElementXL (4122 posts) -

I was expecting see a lot of Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son in this thread. Still in denial I guess.

My picks would be Bioshock Infinite and NBA 2K14. Both are great at first but very rough around the edges.

#35 Posted by final_lap (340 posts) -

That is normal. Just like if you eat any food too much you will start to like it less. It's just human psychology.

#36 Posted by xh117 (87 posts) -

DMC3 for me because it was pretty difficult for me when I first played it, now after playing the HD version and DMC4 its really easy and the combat feels slow and clunky. Still overall a good game but not in my top 10 anymore.

#37 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2502 posts) -

GTA5, at first I really loved it....then it just started to bore me to death. The only good parts were the big heists which are too few and far apart, everything in between seems like a boring fetch or chase mission. And that annoying ass 18 wheeler truck parking mission, what a waste of time.

#38 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

FF 7 and Golden Eye wasn't as good as I remembered.

#39 Posted by m_machine024 (15234 posts) -

@vashkey said:

Yup Kingdom Hearts for me too. Combat is way too simple. :/

#40 Posted by jsmoke03 (13363 posts) -

@Star0 said:

this

#41 Posted by lamprey263 (26163 posts) -

Time is usually the culprit, games that were fun when they released but over time they seem less appealing. Many things can make a game feel dated, its graphics, or gaming mechanics, the depth of its story, its voice acting, whatever. Some games though hold up well over time. I think nostalgia makes people remember games being better than how they'd actually feel if they went back and played them.

I've often went back and played older games and found they didn't have the same appeal, that they're too dated to enjoy. Doesn't make them bad games though, they were good for its time, we had a good time, I won't forget, but that's that.

#42 Posted by Boddicker (3311 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

GTA5, at first I really loved it....then it just started to bore me to death. The only good parts were the big heists which are too few and far apart, everything in between seems like a boring fetch or chase mission. And that annoying ass 18 wheeler truck parking mission, what a waste of time.

Seconded.

#43 Posted by lawlessx (47349 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

It's not really the same thing, but there are a lot of games that I completely change my opinion on over the course of my first playthrough. I hated Morrowind the first time I played it because the combat was so bad, but I grew to love it because the skill system was somewhat deep, and the exploration was top notch. I felt completely the opposite about Oblivion. At first, it felt like Bethesda fixed all of the flaws of Morrowind and made the perfect game. But after a few hours of playing the game, I started to realize that everything that made Morrowind great was gone, and I was left with nothing but a bunch of fetch quests with map markers. Skyrim was the same way, but I had already played Oblivion, so my opinion was never very good toward that game. Assassin's Creed 4 is another game that I loved for about 10 hours and grew to hate.

I was just gonna mention morrowind. Even though i did some research on the game i was very bored the first few hours of the game.

Then i started exploring and killing random people. XD

#44 Posted by ddlcpc (879 posts) -

Always

#45 Posted by Qixote (10813 posts) -

Pretty much any open world game. I'm getting really discouraged how developers fail to keep it interesting. Especially all Ubisoft games, GTA, and GTA clones. By the end of the game I am so glad they are over and I never go back. I will give exception to Bethesda with their Elder Scrolls series, they always manage to make exploring their big open world feel like worthy exploration, as it ought to.

#46 Edited by Glitter (355 posts) -

Trace Memory, but this was after I completed the game as it had no replay value at all; unlike most games were I could keep playing it every now and then. They also never localized the second game like they were supposed to for the United States, unless I am mistaken. Another was Sonic Rush, when I first saw screenshots of it, they ended up being misleading; it ended up being something else and it was boring to me. I never completed, nor finished the game and it was the last Sonic the Hedgehog game I owned, if I remember correctly. I never got a chance to get the sequel of Sonic Rush and I like to keep it that way.

#47 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6903 posts) -

A few games of old are like that for me, I think the standouts are Alex Kidd, Golden Axe and double Dragon (NES version).

Newer time? Uncharted 2-3, Mass Effect 2-3, Spec Ops: The line, Dead Space 2, L4D 1-2, Max Payne 3, GTA 4.

Most newwe games are so rigid, and simple in gameplay that when the overall first impression fades, and what you see and feel is the actual gameplay and map design, alot of newer games tend to fall flat. They can hardly carry a second playthrough.

Ironically I just started playing Crusader: No Remorse/Regret and FF4 Again, and those games are as good as the memory of them was on a gameplay level. Really odd.

#48 Posted by sukraj (24222 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

@sukraj said:

I wish it was that simple.

You've never bought a sequel day 1 only to find it sucks compared to its predecessor?

Come to think of it I bought GTA V and I didn't like it lol.

#49 Posted by jg4xchamp (51472 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

@drekula2 said:

I was actually the opposite with that game. I really didn't like it much at the beginning, but that's just because I was expecting a Zelda game. I had to shed the expectations I had going into the experience and just enjoy the different direction the game took. I now love it as an experience that's never been done before and It does it so well too.

I'd say it's not the best at being a Zelda game, but it's exceptional at the experience it does offer. The fact that it's called Zelda is what holds it back in the public eye. At least that's my two cents on it.

What? Both its short comings (the hand holding, the padding, the fetch quests, the shitty one item boss fight/dungeons, the complete disrespect for the players time) and its positives (the dungeon designs, some of more clever boss fights) were all Zelda staples.

It was not some anti-Zelda. It was just Zelda indulging itself in all of its short comings to the extremist of extents. I mean Jesus Christ they really dug deep this time to create the ultimate shitty triforce fetch quest.

#50 Posted by jg4xchamp (51472 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

ODST comes to mind as well as Brutal Legend.

That game was a fucking con job.