Eurogamer PS4 is doing great but a different story for Sony

• 166 results
#151 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@Blabadon said:

Outside the PS4, they've really fallen behind in nearly every market there is.

they seem to be trimming back everything, optical drives out, VAio out, and they are struggling with TV's and I'd guess phones too. besides playstation, what products can they work on to increase profitability?

They make good money from their movies business, (spiderman, sky fall etc) they also make decent money from their music business and games business...Sony might just become a strictly entertainment business, but every Sony TV I ever had was phenomenal and lasted a LONG time, they also make the best camera's in the business.

#152 Edited by delta3074 (18418 posts) -

@super600 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

*yawn* More financial news in SW. I bet if you looked into most business ventures you would see the economy affected them. Seriously....it's sad that SW dwells on business balance sheets. Guess that means the PS4 must be doing it's job I guess. TC don't be so butt hurt over a console.

Sony is struggling right now because of all the bad decisions they made in the last 10 years or so and not because of the fragile economy.

It's not just SONYs fault,it has a lot to do with the way the economy is, every Japanese tech giant is suffering not just SONY

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/the-era-of-japanese-consumer-electronics-giants-is-dead/

#153 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@super600: But you must remember the Cow auto-response to all Sony factual financial news for the last decade:

#154 Edited by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

That's a bad place to be. Microsoft is poised to outlive both Nintendo and Sony. In gaming, and in everything else.

PS4 sales don't matter if Sony disappears. It'll be the ultimate SW ownage. The discontinuation of a console.

I'm not sure it's ever been so relevant to really, actually say, "Sony is teh d00med!"

#155 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -
@musicalmac said:

That's a bad place to be. Microsoft is poised to outlive both Nintendo and Sony. In gaming, and in everything else.

PS4 sales don't matter if Sony disappears. It'll be the ultimate SW ownage. The discontinuation of a console.

I'm not sure it's ever been so relevant to really, actually say, "Sony is teh d00med!"

Lol, I wouldn't say doomed. Somewhere between the "Sony is dying, PlayStation will be sold to Apple/Amazon/Microsoft/Samsung/Tyco/Hasbro/Disney crowd" and the "Sony is just fine as a company and nothing will come of this, its all fanboy nonsense lalalalala" is the middle ground that I feel is mostly likely. Within 2 years Sony will need and get a bailout from the Japanese government to save the company. Like the US auto industry they are too big to the country to fail. Playstation will have to carry a heavy, heavy load and I could only see Sony selling it if even the bailout didn't help and someone offered them an insane amount. But even trailing behind the PS4, the One has a ton of money behind it and the support of the new CEO and even the guy Elop who discussed selling the brand sometime last year. Down the line this may play a big part in a number of ways IMHO.

#156 Edited by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Lol, I wouldn't say doomed. Somewhere between the "Sony is dying, PlayStation will be sold to Apple/Amazon/Microsoft/Samsung/Tyco/Hasbro/Disney crowd" and the "Sony is just fine as a company and nothing will come of this, its all fanboy nonsense lalalalala" is the middle ground that I feel is mostly likely. Within 2 years Sony will need and get a bailout from the Japanese government to save the company. Like the US auto industry they are too big to the country to fail. Playstation will have to carry a heavy, heavy load and I could only see Sony selling it if even the bailout didn't help and someone offered them an insane amount. But even trailing behind the PS4, the One has a ton of money behind it and the support of the new CEO and even the guy Elop who discussed selling the brand sometime last year. Down the line this may play a big part in a number of ways IMHO.

Well, Sega disappeared into console nothingness. I don't know who would buy them, I'm fairly confident Apple wouldn't be one of the companies in the mix. Sony loses money, Apple doesn't buy companies that lose money to lose a gob more themselves (unlike Google... lol).

We'll see how it goes, but a company as massive as Sony can't be supported on PS4 sales income. Money talks, and MS has a whole lot more of it than Sony and Nintendo, as well as enough other businesses to be sustainable for a longer period of time.

It's grim, more grim than perhaps people understand. I'm not confident in gaming as a means for economic security, something Nintendo has really struggled to understand until recently. Which is why they want to be Japan's premier gaming and health company, not just a gaming company.

#157 Posted by groowagon (2823 posts) -

good thing they ditched Vaio. great looking laptops, but always out of date components. very bad value. no wonder no one bought them.

#158 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@shawn30 said:

Well, Sega disappeared into console nothingness. I don't know who would buy them, I'm fairly confident Apple wouldn't be one of the companies in the mix. Sony loses money, Apple doesn't buy companies that lose money to lose a gob more themselves (unlike Google... lol).

We'll see how it goes, but a company as massive as Sony can't be supported on PS4 sales income. Money talks, and MS has a whole lot more of it than Sony and Nintendo, as well as enough other businesses to be sustainable for a longer period of time.

It's grim, more grim than perhaps people understand. I'm not confident in gaming as a means for economic security, something Nintendo has really struggled to understand until recently. Which is why they want to be Japan's premier gaming and health company, not just a gaming company.

You may be right. Time will tell. For all the PS4 sales it doesn't make a giant chunk of money. The One is part of the entire MS eco-system and will be linked to Windows 8 and all new OS, as well as their tablets and phones. I don't think they see success in the same terms as Sony.

#159 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

You may be right. Time will tell. For all the PS4 sales it doesn't make a giant chunk of money. The One is part of the entire MS eco-system and will be linked to Windows 8 and all new OS, as well as their tablets and phones. I don't think they see success in the same terms as Sony.

I think success is told not in total sales, but in profit. Apple doesn't sell the most phones, but they sure as heck make money off of them. Samsung sold to stores twice as many phones as Apple sold to customers -- and netted half as much as Apple (with twice the sales).

If MS isn't taking a huge hit on Xbox One console sales, giant numbers of sales isn't like as important as steady sales and the growth of an ecosystem. MS likely believes they've got the hardware in place to bolster that ecosystem, and recent announcements like Xbox TV -- with actual original content -- is genuinely amazing news.

Not only is MS more financially sound than Sony and Nintendo, it's also more sound in terms of its ecosystem. Like I said, it's far more grim for everyone else than people may understand.

#160 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

Yea not reading all of this thread but I'm sure it reads something like:

Lems: "BWAHAHA Sony is doomed, PS4 gonna die".

Cows: "Means nothing Sony is fine. PS4 smokes XB1, BWAHAHAHAHA."

In all honesty this is really bad news for Sony, but what I found interesting was how fast DD is being adopted and how quickly physical media is dying out. For the stalwarts on this board who claim they will never go over to DD and will always want a disc it must be rather bad news. The future is coming consolites and its not coming wrapped in plastic inside a box! :P

#161 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@musicalmac: Agreed.

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Yea not reading all of this thread but I'm sure it reads something like:

Lems: "BWAHAHA Sony is doomed, PS4 gonna die".

Cows: "Means nothing Sony is fine. PS4 smokes XB1, BWAHAHAHAHA."

In all honesty this is really bad news for Sony, but what I found interesting was how fast DD is being adopted and how quickly physical media is dying out. For the stalwarts on this board who claim they will never go over to DD and will always want a disc it must be rather bad news. The future is coming consolites and its not coming wrapped in plastic inside a box! :P

Could not agree more.

#162 Edited by blackace (20890 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@blackace said:

@Indicud said:

@blackace: Along with Shawn30 and Most importantly You, considering you personally feel identified

I don't feel anything. I pretty much laugh at most of the people on here. This is more entertainment to me then anything else. One of the many reasons there are no meltdowns or butthurt. Unlike most of the biased trolls on here, including yourself, I don't favor just one system. I do like to push cows buttons though. So insecure about a piece of plastic and a company who could give two shits about them. Fun times.

To say you don't favor one company/brand over another is bullshit. Any one that has been around here for while knows that.

No, it's a fact. I've praised Wii U, PSVita, PS3 & PS4 systems and games in the past. I defend XB because I hate biased trolling cows who bash it unfairly. I also don't care for Sony's business practices or their leaders. That doesn't keep me away from their systems and games though. Lems, Hermits & Sheep don't bash the PS4 as much as cows bash M$ & XBox. Do you own a PS4, XB1, Wii, PSVita & 3DS? I'd say the answer is no.

#163 Posted by tormentos (18358 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@shawn30 said:

I think success is told not in total sales, but in profit. Apple doesn't sell the most phones, but they sure as heck make money off of them. Samsung sold to stores twice as many phones as Apple sold to customers -- and netted half as much as Apple (with twice the sales).

If MS isn't taking a huge hit on Xbox One console sales, giant numbers of sales isn't like as important as steady sales and the growth of an ecosystem. MS likely believes they've got the hardware in place to bolster that ecosystem, and recent announcements like Xbox TV -- with actual original content -- is genuinely amazing news.

Not only is MS more financially sound than Sony and Nintendo, it's also more sound in terms of its ecosystem. Like I said, it's far more grim for everyone else than people may understand.

MS is more financially sounded that Sony or nintendo,but no company will support a product that loss money for ever,no matter how well it is financially,and there are some very nervous big wigs inside MS who want MS to kill the xbox and focus on what really make MS money windows.

You can say all you want,but MS loss since between 2001 and 2007 7.3 billion dollars in the xbox brand,what they have make back by extreme nickel and dime and charging for online doesn't make for all they loss,in this moment the xbox brand is like -3 billion in losses when all is say done.

Oh and that is without counting what they most be losing now with those $449 Titanfall bundles,the small profits was at $500 at $449 with 1 game they are not making any profits and are probably losing like $50 per unit.

Take a look at what happen with Zune just because MS has endless money doesn't mean they will keep trowing money away,and the PS4 has then corner now,sony has to keep making business that give them money and lose those who doesn't.

@blackace said:

No, it's a fact. I've praised Wii U, PSVita, PS3 & PS4 systems and games in the past. I defend XB because I hate biased trolling cows who bash it unfairly. I also don't care for Sony's business practices or their leaders. That doesn't keep me away from their systems and games though. Lems, Hermits & Sheep don't bash the PS4 as much as cows bash M$ & XBox. Do you own a PS4, XB1, Wii, PSVita & 3DS? I'd say the answer is no.

Like i have told you,you fool no one but your self lemming...hahahaha

Yeah cows so unfairly bashed MS for wanting to take away used games,for requiring 24 hour online connections,for using extreme DRM,hell we were to bashful with MS for having weaker hardware yet charge $100 more,and definitely were to bashful of MS for locking every single feature the xbox one has under a pay wall even those that don't require online at all like game recording..

Yeah we bash MS unfairly so much...

Lemming all they do all day is bash the PS4,hermit not as much and some are divided between PS4 and xbox one,and what is a sheep do those exist here any more.?

You are a lemming who own 2 PS3 and didn't even know the PS3 allowed you to share PSN games..lol Do you know what HOME is.? Just asking who knows maybe you don't know as well..hahahaa

Sad lemming...

#164 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

@tormentos said:

MS is more financially sounded that Sony or nintendo,but no company will support a product that loss money for ever,no matter how well it is financially,and there are some very nervous big wigs inside MS who want MS to kill the xbox and focus on what really make MS money windows.

You can say all you want,but MS loss since between 2001 and 2007 7.3 billion dollars in the xbox brand,what they have make back by extreme nickel and dime and charging for online doesn't make for all they loss,in this moment the xbox brand is like -3 billion in losses when all is say done.

Those figures aren't right and out of context. MS knew they would take a big hit going into a new market and as they've never released the figures for the xbox brand by itself we have no way of knowing what they lost during those years or since (ie the Zune and various other failed MS electronics were included in the entertainment division's figures.). Since then the xbox has been turning a healthy profit, so what you are arguing is that a company would kill a brand that's making money now because it lost money a decade earlier. Do you think about what you type? And for nickel and diming online, isn't that what Sony is doing now by your own logic?

As for the big wigs wanting to kill the xbox brand again you're confused. The only person I've seen actively argue for its sale (not "killing it") is a hedgefund manager who's looking for a quick short term profit for his investors. Similar people have argued that Sony should sell off their profitable entertainment division, but you seem happy to ignore those.

#165 Posted by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

@tormentos said:

Oh and that is without counting what they most be losing now with those $449 Titanfall bundles,the small profits was at $500 at $449 with 1 game they are not making any profits and are probably losing like $50 per unit.

Take a look at what happen with Zune just because MS has endless money doesn't mean they will keep trowing money away,and the PS4 has then corner now,sony has to keep making business that give them money and lose those who doesn't.

You could supply me with delicious pork recipes and I'd care more about your post. I won't humor unsupported presumptions. If you can provide some evidence to back up something specific as a number, I'll gladly take it seriously.

I'm also not going to pretend like the only thing that matters is short term losses for a company building an ecosystem (MS) when you've got major, long-term losses for a company failing in large part on almost all of their previous investments (Sony).

What a joke.

#166 Posted by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

Considering that Sony is a huge japanese company, important to that nation, I don't doubt that their government tries to save the company at all costs if all goes bad, like the US did with GM and other companies after the 2008 crisis.

#167 Posted by tormentos (18358 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@tormentos said:

You could supply me with delicious pork recipes and I'd care more about your post. I won't humor unsupported presumptions. If you can provide some evidence to back up something specific as a number, I'll gladly take it seriously.

I'm also not going to pretend like the only thing that matters is short term losses for a company building an ecosystem (MS) when you've got major, long-term losses for a company failing in large part on almost all of their previous investments (Sony).

What a joke.

At $500, Microsoft Says The Xbox One Will Break Even Or Make A Profit

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/09/06/at-500-microsoft-says-the-xbox-one-will-break-even-or-make-a-profit/

If they were braking even or making a small profits at $500 what do you think will happen with a $50 dollar price slash and a free copy of a game that isn't a first party MS game to begin with,every copy of Titanfall MS gives free is a copy they have to pay EA and Respawn for,and while $60 will not be a good $15 or $20 as royalty most be,those kind of deals are not cheap or free..

So yeah every units sold at $449 with Titanfall is a loss for MS i am sure.

Oh and funny enough on MS last quarter report the xbox brand wasn't even name,it wasn't discuss what so ever something incredible rare,because MS always gloat about how much money xbox live make or how many profits the xbox 360 was bringing in,so apparently losses were at hand..

Once again the Zune is a great example of how having endless billions doesn't mean your product will succeed or keep been supported if it loss allot of money.

#168 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@musicalmac said:

@tormentos said:

What a joke.

At $500, Microsoft Says The Xbox One Will Break Even Or Make A Profit

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/09/06/at-500-microsoft-says-the-xbox-one-will-break-even-or-make-a-profit/

If they were braking even or making a small profits at $500 what do you think will happen with a $50 dollar price slash and a free copy of a game that isn't a first party MS game to begin with,every copy of Titanfall MS gives free is a copy they have to pay EA and Respawn for,and while $60 will not be a good $15 or $20 as royalty most be,those kind of deals are not cheap or free..

So yeah every units sold at $449 with Titanfall is a loss for MS i am sure.

Oh and funny enough on MS last quarter report the xbox brand wasn't even name,it wasn't discuss what so ever something incredible rare,because MS always gloat about how much money xbox live make or how many profits the xbox 360 was bringing in,so apparently losses were at hand..

Once again the Zune is a great example of how having endless billions doesn't mean your product will succeed or keep been supported if it loss allot of money.

But I'm sure we can agree nothing is a guarantee. The PS3 clawed its way back with price cuts and games, and the One will do the same. 360 sold 80 million and PS4 is at 7, with the One at 4. There are tons of 360 gamers who have not upgraded yet and are potential One buyers. They can take the price hit far easier than Sony to get back in the race within 3 years. It is a marathon, not a sprint. And in some cases having a huge war chest. Being able to take a hit early in the gen to get back in it later, especially when production costs drop and console sales are helped by services, MS will do just fine. Sony on the other hand, they have a world of work ahead of them.

Also: http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q3/default.aspx

Microsoft sold in 2.0 million Xbox console units, including 1.2 million Xbox One consoles.

#169 Posted by Scipio8 (655 posts) -

@tormentos: you throw around assumptions conjectures and pull numbers out of you back side but the fact remains that Sony is f***** and Microsoft is not. So there.

#170 Posted by super600 (30720 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@super600 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

*yawn* More financial news in SW. I bet if you looked into most business ventures you would see the economy affected them. Seriously....it's sad that SW dwells on business balance sheets. Guess that means the PS4 must be doing it's job I guess. TC don't be so butt hurt over a console.

Sony is struggling right now because of all the bad decisions they made in the last 10 years or so and not because of the fragile economy.

It's not just SONYs fault,it has a lot to do with the way the economy is, every Japanese tech giant is suffering not just SONY

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/the-era-of-japanese-consumer-electronics-giants-is-dead/

It's partially there fault because they made products that don;t interest people in some of there divisions like the tv division. They never tried to appeal to there consumers interest in these divisions so they have been outmanuvered by there competitors in these divisions. The tv division has been losing money for more than a decade.

#171 Edited by AM-Gamer (4040 posts) -

@super600: That has much to do with the fact there tv's were built better , and more expensive yet most people don't care. As long as it's affordable they will buy it. The fact that chinease brands like Hisense are growing so rapidly should concern anyone who cares about quality electronic products.

Then take into account you have company's like Apple that charge retailers $650.00 for a phone that will barely last 2 years and the future of electronics in general looks pretty grim.

#172 Edited by darkangel115 (1784 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@musicalmac said:

@shawn30 said:

exactly. the xbox is part of the MS ecosystem. with windows pcs, surface tablets, windows phones, etc. and they will push cross platform entertainment with xbox tv and music and such. Just like apple with apple tv, iphone, ipad, and macbooks. MS doens't even really compete with sony, their main competition is apple.

#173 Posted by tormentos (18358 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

But I'm sure we can agree nothing is a guarantee. The PS3 clawed its way back with price cuts and games, and the One will do the same. 360 sold 80 million and PS4 is at 7, with the One at 4. There are tons of 360 gamers who have not upgraded yet and are potential One buyers. They can take the price hit far easier than Sony to get back in the race within 3 years. It is a marathon, not a sprint. And in some cases having a huge war chest. Being able to take a hit early in the gen to get back in it later, especially when production costs drop and console sales are helped by services, MS will do just fine. Sony on the other hand, they have a world of work ahead of them.

Also: http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q3/default.aspx

Microsoft sold in 2.0 million Xbox console units, including 1.2 million Xbox One consoles.

The PS3 is a different story which you lemming refuse to admit.

The xbox 360 was never popular in Japan and was never popular in EU outside UK,so the PS3 had something to make for the 360 dominated in US and UK sony in Japan and main land EU,now is totally different scenario MS isn't dominating any where it been dominated with nothing to make back they have no chance.

Also the PS3 did price drops,but the first PS3 model support PS2 games,on the next step one of the chips was eliminated and was emulated on PS3 which allowed sony to deliver the first price drop,second one eliminated backward compatibility completely which helped sony lower the price even more,then the slim came.

Sony did hardware revisions,which is not the same as knocking $50 from hardware without taking measures to cut those from manufacturing cost.

Once again a $449 xbox one with Titanfall is actually $10 dollars cheaper than a PS4 with Infamous and has Kinect build in as well.

Production cost is tied to supply and demand,the one who make more units and buy them get better discounts,in this case i don't see MS getting better price than sony when sony is outdoing them by more than 2 million units in the same time frame.

Yes and the PS4 in that same time frame sold 2.8 million units actually more than the xbox one and xbox 360 combined maybe now you get they idea..

#174 Posted by Indicud (739 posts) -

BlackAss selfowned.