Eurogamer PS4 is doing great but a different story for Sony

• 166 results
#101 Edited by Suppaman100 (3775 posts) -

I'm a fan of Playstation, not of a company.

But even in a worst case scenario, the playstation brand will more than likely continue to exist, maybe under another company.

#102 Edited by blackace (20287 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Sony is doomed!

etc.

They are slowly heading in that direction. It makes me wonder just how accurate these numbers really are.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/02/sony-has-78-chance-to-go-bankrupt-in-two-years-says-macroaxis/

They have been losing billions for the last 3-4 years. Selling buildings (3 HQ), selling stocks ($367 million & SE stocks) , selling PC/Laptop Division and laying off thousands of employees (over 7000+ including some at 1st party studios). Even after all of that, they are seeing developers from Naughty Dog leave in droves. They lost at least 7-8 key developers from ND already. We still don't know why these people are all of a sudden jumping ship.

#103 Edited by Desmonic (13424 posts) -

@blackace said:

@_Matt_ said:

Sony is doomed!

etc.

They are slowly heading in that direction. It makes me wonder just how accurate these numbers really are.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/02/sony-has-78-chance-to-go-bankrupt-in-two-years-says-macroaxis/

They have been losing billions for the last 3-4 years. Selling buildings (3 HQ), selling stocks ($367 million & SE stocks) , selling PC/Laptop Division and laying off thousands of employees (over 7000+ including some at 1st party studios). Even after all of that, they are seeing developers from Naughty Dog leave in droves. They lost at least 7-8 key developers from ND already. We still don't know why these people are all of a sudden jumping ship.

"They lost at least 7-8 key developers from ND already"........lol wut? The only case you could make for key people leaving would be with Amy Hennig. The rest, with all due respect, were easy to replace people.

#104 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@blackace said:

@_Matt_ said:

Sony is doomed!

etc.

#105 Edited by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

Corporation is in a tight spot, no doubt. The hard moves are being made. But the disc manufacturing problem doesn't surprise me. Convenience is key and I figured blu ray would have a short life span as a major sales leader. Its just easier to stream, which many seem to be doing. Blu ray will have a place, especially for gaming. The company isn't doomed. GM was in worse shape in the 1980s and IBM had their rough spot as well.

#106 Edited by Boggle_Dragon (88 posts) -

@_Matt_: @sts106mat: I have the developer preview for WP 8.1 on a Lumia 925, and it addresses nearly every issue that people have had with the OS. Have to give credit where its due and MS have excelled themselves with this update. Everything from the action centre to tile skins have completely transformed the dated OS. Cortana is a blast too.

As for the Lumia 930, its build quality is far superior than every other phone apart from maybe the iPhone. The camera and editing tools are excellent, especially when taking macro shots, the results can be amazing sometimes.

Iv had more fun with this phone and new update than any other smartphone since I had an iPhone 3g.

#107 Edited by magicalclick (22448 posts) -

@boggle_dragon:

I am a happy user of WinPh8.1 right now, high five. I still have picky complains about it, but, man, it fixed so many issues that I am gonna say, there is very few things I would want to change.

As for Sony, Samsung must be giggling behind the system war.

#108 Edited by Boggle_Dragon (88 posts) -

@magicalclick: I have the Transparency Tiles app which makes apps like Nokia Mix Radio have the same background as your wallpaper, you should try it. I agree about the niggles. I can nearly forgive them because of the endless amounts of ways of customising your main screen. It's a breath of fresh air in the grid style norm of smartphones.

#109 Edited by Scipio8 (616 posts) -

Sony is going down the sink hole and not even the PS4 can save it. Even if the PS4 was a roaring success its not enough to save Sony. Its inevitable the PS business will be spun-off who knows maybe even facebook. By the way, its not all rosy in PlayStation, software sales were down.

#110 Edited by RR360DD (11611 posts) -

And it wasn't that long ago they expected to turn a profit this year LOL

Shows how clueless they really are.

#111 Posted by stuff238 (617 posts) -

LOL lems.

Sony is doing the smart thing by getting rid of non profitable divisions and keeping the good ones. Sony is not dying. They are simply becoming a smaller company. They are slowly changing their focus. They are restructuring the entire company. Also, Japan would bail them out anyway because of brand name alone.

How many times have we seen companies about to "die" but still live today? Apple was almost dead! Blackberry was supposed to die! Those 3 car companies in the USA! Sony is changing. Not dying. Keep on being delusional.

#112 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

Great that KAZ has stated that GAMES are a PILLAR of SONY.

#113 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

That lonely toothpick-pillar holding back a massive avalanche of debt. Stand tall, PS4:) Stand tall.

#114 Edited by nyzma23 (918 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Kaz should be fired he is failure

#115 Posted by lamprey263 (23176 posts) -

People are delusional to think Sony PlayStation brand will survive under a different company. They're gaming division has too many assets for any one company to acquire, or want to acquire for that matter. What will likely happen if Sony reaches insolvency is that their assets go into liquidation through a holding company that tries to get the best price for them. That means nobody just bulks bid on Sony's game division, rather people will bid on rights assets. Like EA may come out and say they'll pay $50 million for all rights to the Uncharted and Last of Us franchises (or whatever future titles are big at the time). Different publishers will seek to acquire hot IPs, the rest will sit there in a holding company until someone shows a desire to buy them, which could hurt their ability to release older games in the future. Certain studios might survive and be bought by other companies, others might be dissolved entirely.

Good news is though, this might not happen for quite a while. Though Sony's drowning in liabilities and they've not much assets left to spare, but the rate they've been losing money lately they've enough assets to survive at maybe another decade (considering they can't turn things around or their losses don't get worse), and who knows, maybe consoles might not survive that long as some argue if things like Steambox eliminate that market. We should at least, I imagine, see the PS4 live through it's life before Sony throws in the towel.

#116 Edited by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

That lonely toothpick-pillar holding back a massive avalanche of debt. Stand tall, PS4:) Stand tall.

We all know PS4 will be around this gen, making lems lives miserable. :)

#117 Edited by tdkmillsy (1281 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

I'm sure it will but when all the profits are going on debt, its got to have an impact on first party development, price cuts and the ability to secure exclusive content or compete with Xbox Live.

#118 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

My friend, I'm not so sure... :)

#119 Edited by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

i am :)

#120 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13427 posts) -

Rare footage of the only game lems have left to play.

Que Jurassic park theme.

So majestic. witnessing the lemming mating dance is an unfortunately rare occurrence.

#121 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah, my friend, I think you guys are in serious trouble. And that article was from Jan 2014, months before Sony realized they were losing an additional 200 million and a total of 1.21 billion for the quarter. All those store gaming gifs don't negate that :)

#123 Edited by blackace (20287 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@blackace said:

@_Matt_ said:

Sony is doomed!

etc.

"They lost at least 7-8 key developers from ND already"........lol wut? The only case you could make for key people leaving would be with Amy Hennig. The rest, with all due respect, were easy to replace people.

They lost 2 lead artists as well, plus a few other people. Everyone is replaceable. Just ask RARE.

#124 Edited by Desmonic (13424 posts) -

@blackace said:

They lost 2 lead artists as well, plus a few other people. Everyone is replaceable. Just ask RARE.

Artists are rarely key people. The lead title means they are in charge of their sector/team, nothing more.

Everyone is replaceable, but it's still a longshot from the 7-8 "key" people they lost dude.

#125 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

@Indicud said:

@shawn30: You know you're a true failure at life when you live vicariously through company's. But please, continue.

That's most of the Cows in SW.

#126 Edited by clyde46 (45004 posts) -

*yawn* More financial news in SW. I bet if you looked into most business ventures you would see the economy affected them. Seriously....it's sad that SW dwells on business balance sheets. Guess that means the PS4 must be doing it's job I guess. TC don't be so butt hurt over a console.

He's just reporting the news you insensitive sod.

#128 Edited by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah, my friend, I think you guys are in serious trouble. And that article was from Jan 2014, months before Sony realized they were losing an additional 200 million and a total of 1.21 billion for the quarter. All those store gaming gifs don't negate that :)

I dont care if they go bankrupt, the PS4 is here to stay this gen:

#129 Posted by magicalclick (22448 posts) -

@boggle_dragon:

Actually I don't like the background. But, I am glad they added it as people like you will be happy. We are all happy. :)

#130 Posted by Sphensen (735 posts) -

so this means that the follow up to the Wii U will be the Nintendo Playstation :)

#131 Edited by Draign (588 posts) -

@boggle_dragon:

I am a happy user of WinPh8.1 right now, high five. I still have picky complains about it, but, man, it fixed so many issues that I am gonna say, there is very few things I would want to change.

As for Sony, Samsung must be giggling behind the system war.

I got on board with the Nokia Lumia Icon. I'm so happy I made the switch, MS has really stepped their game up.

#132 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Indicud said:

@shawn30: You know you're a true failure at life when you live vicariously through company's. But please, continue.

So discussing a company's financial issues, one that produces video games, on a video game forum, 5 months after rival companies debuted new hardware hardware constitutes living vicariously through one of them? Do you have a clue how stupid that sounds? MS being a 280 billion dollar company, or Sony being worth far less doesn't put 1 dollar in my pocket if they switch places, both go out of business or both are successful. I enjoy the Xbox One a great deal, as well as your obvious discomfort that anyone does:) Carry little man.

#135 Posted by fusionhunter (2009 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

I'd be pretty sure when it's making Xbox One look like a joke.

#136 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

I'm a fan of Playstation, not of a company.

But even in a worst case scenario, the playstation brand will more than likely continue to exist, maybe under another company.

but what about Naughty Dog, Shu and Cerny? PlayStation wouldn't be the same without them.

Cerny is the only one that could design the PS5!

#137 Edited by lostrib (34522 posts) -

Well not surprising, just because one segment is doing well doesn't mean the other segments of the business picked up

#139 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

@Indicud said:

@blackace: Along with Shawn30 and Most importantly You, considering you personally feel identified

I don't feel anything. I pretty much laugh at most of the people on here. This is more entertainment to me then anything else. One of the many reasons there are no meltdowns or butthurt. Unlike most of the biased trolls on here, including yourself, I don't favor just one system. I do like to push cows buttons though. So insecure about a piece of plastic and a company who could give two shits about them. Fun times.

#141 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150338 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

*yawn* More financial news in SW. I bet if you looked into most business ventures you would see the economy affected them. Seriously....it's sad that SW dwells on business balance sheets. Guess that means the PS4 must be doing it's job I guess. TC don't be so butt hurt over a console.

He's just reporting the news you insensitive sod.

Newsflash....every company involved in gaming has had economic problems the last several years. Come out of mom's basement and join the real world sometime.

#142 Edited by super600 (30308 posts) -

@b4x said:

As I said in the Watch_Dogs thread. Going Sony for multi-plat online games is the wrong move.

They don't even own their servers. Sony shuts down servers every month for older games. What happens when they can't pay those server bills?

I'll wait at least till next years first quarter fiscal report, before I go Sony for my multi plat games that are online.

Single player games are the only games I buy on my PS4 barring exclusives.

Ubisoft owns the servers for watch dogs and not sony. Sony can not shut down the servers for a third party game.

#143 Posted by super600 (30308 posts) -

Sony is struggling right now because of all the bad decisions they made in the last 10 years or so and not because of the fragile economy.

#145 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Indicud said:

@blackace: Along with Shawn30 and Most importantly You, considering you personally feel identified

I don't feel anything. I pretty much laugh at most of the people on here. This is more entertainment to me then anything else. One of the many reasons there are no meltdowns or butthurt. Unlike most of the biased trolls on here, including yourself, I don't favor just one system. I do like to push cows buttons though. So insecure about a piece of plastic and a company who could give two shits about them. Fun times.

To say you don't favor one company/brand over another is bullshit. Any one that has been around here for while knows that.

#146 Edited by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

@super600 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Sony is struggling right now because of all the bad decisions they made in the last 10 years or so and not because of the fragile economy.

The TV market was certainly effected by it big time and hasn't really recovered. That and they get slaughtered by the exchange rate.

It's certainly part of it especially considering Sony are mainly in high end electronics.

#147 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4795 posts) -

Eh, can't say I'm really concerned.

PS4 is here to stay this gen so my small investment of $400 won't be a bust. If Sony ever sinks and PS brand goes down with it, well who cares? Console makers come and go. Sonys IPs would live on and even then I don't care too much for most of them.

The only complete crash and burn that would bother me out of the big 3 would be Nintendo. Only because I like their in-house titles, but even then I'm sure Nintendo would continue to develop games.

Those expecting the PS4 to just crumble away soon should look in the mirror and laugh at themselves. Same for those who have a massive boner for the company.

#148 Posted by Sagemode87 (804 posts) -

So in other words, PS4 is doing well but fanboys in the media feel the need to damage control about it. What a desperate attempt. Sony has Billions and the worst case scenario is Japan bailing them out. Sorry Lems, PS4 is here to stay. Nothing to see here folks.

#149 Posted by Seabas989 (10110 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Outside the PS4, they've really fallen behind in nearly every market there is.

Crazy really. Maybe they should just stick to video games because the PS4 has had an amazing start.

#150 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9469 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@blackace said:

Artists are rarely key people. The lead title means they are in charge of their sector/team, nothing more.

Everyone is replaceable, but it's still a longshot from the 7-8 "key" people they lost dude.

As far as I know, ND only lost 5 people. Amy Hennig (Creative Director of Uncharted), Justin Richmond (Game Director of Uncharted 3), Nate Wells (Art Director of TLOU who left to go to Giant Sparrow - an indie developer that resides inside Sony Santa Monica) and Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist of TLOU). Todd Stashwick also but left he's not a developer. His part in Uncharted 4 was recast.

By the way, do you know who joined ND 6 months ago? Corrinne Yu. That name should ring a bell because she was Halo 4's Principle Engine Programmer. People who think there's a mass exodus happening at ND really need to reevaluate the situation because ND is well over 250 people strong and 2 GOTY record breaking games aren't created by just 3 or 4 or 5 people.