ESPN Coming to Xbox 360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolarEclipze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolarEclipze
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Just saw this on Kotaku, what do you guys think? Would you like to see more sports broadcasted on XBL? Please, no trolling ok?

"The New York Times reports that ESPN and Microsoft are in talks to bring a subscription-based service to Xbox Live that would stream live sporting events through the Xbox 360, no cable TV connection needed.

The paper notes that none of this is official, sourcing anonymous "people close to the talks":

Microsoft has held in-depth discussions with the Walt Disney Company about a programming deal with ESPN, according to people close to the talks, who requested anonymity because the talks were intended to be private.

For a per-subscriber fee, ESPN could provide live streams of sporting events, similar to the ones available through ESPN 360, a service that is available from some high-speed Internet providers. Microsoft could also create some interactive games in association with ESPN, the people said, although a deal has not yet been struck.

Microsoft declined to comment, characterizing the Times report as "rumor and speculation." We've checked in with ESPN as well and will update the post if we hear anything back."

LINK

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#2 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

Not interested if I have to pay ON TOP of my Gold subscription. Otherwise, seems like an interesting idea for sports fans

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

The Ocho?

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Free for gold members or I'm not interested.
SolarEclipze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolarEclipze
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts
Free for gold members or I'm not interested.II-FBIsniper-II
lol, i was hoping thats what they meant by "per subscriber fee" lol, otherwise ill just catch it on TV :P
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

Us in the UK already het to watch ESPN and Sky Sports on the Xboxwith the Skyplayer, which is nice.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Not paying extra for something I can just watch on television.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

if it's no extra fee than this is freakin AMAZING

cause not every sporting event is on TV at the same time, depends where you are at

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
if it's free for gold members ill check it out.
winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts
subscription lol
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts

Not interested if I have to pay ON TOP of my Gold subscription. Otherwise, seems like an interesting idea for sports fans

skinny_man_69
I agree, if there's additional fees, count me out. If it's free with Gold Members. I'm in.
Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
I'm in since I don't have cable sports and it sucks.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Microsoft is losing touch with what us users want with our Xbox Fall and Spring updates, most of us hated the last one Last FM, twitter, Facebook, Vuze marketplace.

Give us a clan tab where we can set game days/ practice, gamebattles support, and things like that.Or show give us the ability to record our game sessions in video people would go nuts for something like that.

and they should also seriously rethink the game room model, those games should be $2 tops with GFW as an added extra instead of being premium.

cliff122316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 cliff122316
Member since 2005 • 2333 Posts
i dont really see how they could have the rights to sports events not on espn already. so this would only be useful to those without cable...which is a small audience
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

The Ocho?

Shirokishi_

The Ocho has already been announced. It's officially called ESPN 3D, but since it is the 8th ESPN-branded network, I call it 'The Ocho'.

-Sir-Poof-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 -Sir-Poof-
Member since 2006 • 4544 Posts

Seems like MS is trying to turn the 360 into the Ipod Touch of consoles. These recent features mean nothing to me to be quite honest.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

I agree, if there's additional fees, count me out. If it's free with Gold Members. I'm in.

Same here
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts
[QUOTE="PatchMaster"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

Same here

Im pretty sure its like what sports companys do on the internet, they are just putting it on the xbox
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's just a rumor....but if there is truth to it, they are going the wrong direction with with these updates.

Also, SKY is an additional fee, so the poster above mentioning that should also mention it's a service that is payed for, like Netflix. As long as people know SKY is an extra paid for service, all is well. It's like counting Netflix but without mentioning a fee or the Gold Membership requirement.

If this ESPN was free, that would be obviously better than a ESPN with a fee, but I would rather XBOX stop with this twitter, Facebook, ESPN stuff, and add more to the gaming community, gaming ideas, gaming connectivity.

sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

Meh, maybe if I liked baseball and football it would be interesting.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Why dos microsoft keep adding so much crap. We cant calls these consoles anymore soon.

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

More unnecessary filler. Well, since we're adding ESPN, might as well treat our 360s as complimentary ovens so we can cook the pizzas in the disc tray and afterwards, eat 'em when we're watching the games on the same box. It'd beat ordering delivery. :roll:

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stats_

Also, SKY is an additional fee.

SolidTy

Unless you have a sky subscription. Which i'd imagine most people in the UK do.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

This would be really cool and praise worthy if it were free, but you just know it's not gonna be free, you can't turn a page on Live without them shoving something in your face for you to buy. Can't stand that about Live, it's desgined to sell you crap, it's designed for the consumer, not the gamer.

mdh1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mdh1982
Member since 2004 • 239 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Stats_

If you already have a Sky subscription why would you watch it on your xbox? plus if you want Sky Sports you would have to pay for the subscription anyway. And Sky Sports is not worth the cost!!!

Yes, I looking forward to some worth while updates as well, I don't need Facebook on every bit of technology I own!

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Stats_

This would be really cool and praise worthy if it were free, but you just know it's not gonna be free, you can't turn a page on Live without them shoving something in your face for you to buy. Can't stand that about Live, it's desgined to sell you crap, it's designed for the consumer, not the gamer.

Eddie-Vedder

Gamers are consumers.

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stats_

[QUOTE="Stats_"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

mdh1982

If you already have a Sky subscription why would you watch it on your xbox? plus if you want Sky Sports you would have to pay for the subscription anyway. And Sky Sports is not worth the cost!!!

Yes, I looking forward to some worth while updates as well, I don't need Facebook on every bit of technology I own!

It's better then buying another Sky Box for one. Also, i disagree. We do need Facebook on everything. How else am i to inform people of what im doing every second of my life. People need to know about my various bowel movements.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

Free for gold members or I'm not interested.II-FBIsniper-II
This and I think MS should start offering Gold members a bunch more perks or free stuff. I want them to make a in house MMO like that Halo one Ensemble was working on, doesn't need to be the greatest MMO - and Gold members pay no extra fees to play. :)

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Stats_

Gamers are consumers.

Spoken like a true capitalist. No, they're not the same thing, I'm a consumer when I choose to be a consumer, and that's not when I kick back to play games.
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stats_

[QUOTE="Stats_"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Eddie-Vedder

Gamers are consumers.

Spoken like a true capitalist. No, they're not the same thing, I'm a consumer when I choose to be a consumer, and that's not when I kick back to play games.

Gamers are consumers.The reasonSONY sold you a PS3 so cheap is cause they hope to make it back by making you buy sevral other things to go with it. You are just a consumer to them.Also, a lot of gamers have hobbies outside of gaming. Maybe they like sport? hence the reason ESPN may be hitting Live.

I for one think Sports > gaming and welome any such additions. I also use the Sky Player daily.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="Stats_"]

Gamers are consumers.

Stats_

Gamers are consumers.The reasonSONY sold you a PS3 so cheap is cause they hope to make it back by making you buy sevral other things to go with it. You are just a consumer to them.Also, a lot of gamers have hobbies outside of gaming. Maybe they like sport? hence the reason ESPN may be hitting Live.

I for one think Sports > gaming and welome any such additions. I also use the Sky Player daily.

Listen I understand the basic notion of what your saying, but you have to understand that it doesn't change the fact that's it's extremely annoying to turn on one of you consoles and be slapped in the face left in right with price tags, and deals, and DLC etc. You pay for gold, then you get bombarded with more things to pay for, it's just annoying.
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stats_

[QUOTE="Stats_"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Spoken like a true capitalist. No, they're not the same thing, I'm a consumer when I choose to be a consumer, and that's not when I kick back to play games.Eddie-Vedder

Listen I understand the basic notion of what your saying, but you have to understand that it doesn't change the fact that's it's extremely annoying to turn on one of you consoles and be slapped in the face left in right with price tags, and deals, and DLC etc. You pay for gold, then you get bombarded with more things to pay for, it's just annoying.

Even when most are game related? You don't even ever have to look at your Xbox dash, you can boot straight to the game if you wanted. I'm not sure about the US dasboard, but the only things on mine are game related. Which'd i'd imagine gamers would like to know about. GS does the same thing, if not far "worse"

BiggGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BiggGaming
Member since 2009 • 345 Posts

More non game related features to justify XBOX LIVE, this is really exciting news...........

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stats_

More non game related features to justify XBOX LIVE, this is really exciting news...........

BiggGaming

The HD consoles have never been JUST about gaming. Not since coneption. Non game related features make them more attravtice to the average person, this earning MS or SONY more money, which leads to increased game development.

You DO like game, right?

BiggGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BiggGaming

[QUOTE="BiggGaming"]

Stats_

The HD consoles have never been JUST about gaming. Not since coneption. Non game related features make them more attravtice to the average person, this earning MS or SONY more money, which leads to increased game development.

You DO like game, right?

100% disagree. The only non game feature this gen that has been worth anything is BLU-RAY. The rest of this fluff has zero significance and does nothing to sell systems. Are you saying Facebook and Twitters shoddy implementation on XBOX 360 has sold a single console? The average person is buying a Wii, so your argument falls a bit flat.

Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stats_

[QUOTE="Stats_"]

[QUOTE="BiggGaming"]

BiggGaming

You DO like game, right?

100% disagree. The only non game feature this gen that has been worth anything is BLU-RAY. The rest of this fluff has zero significance and does nothing to sell systems. Are you saying Facebook and Twitters shoddy implementation on XBOX 360 has sold a single console? The average person is buying a Wii, so your argument falls a bit flat.

I'm just looking at ad campaigns. Over the Holiday season the Xboc was advertised not as a game console as such, but a do it all box. The ads mentioned ONLY the features you just called useless. And yet, it sold pretty damn well in the UK. Sky Player, Zune marketplace, Facebook, Twitter and Last Fm are actually pretty attractive things for a less hardcore gamer.

Since neither of us have any evidence as to why consumers bought a console, i thought i'd just give you that bit of information. Also, you want to know what's shoddy? Facebook on the PS3.

BiggGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BiggGaming

[QUOTE="BiggGaming"]

[QUOTE="Stats_"]

You DO like game, right?

Stats_

I'm just looking at ad campaigns. Over the Holiday season the Xboc was advertised not as a game console as such, but a do it all box. The ads mentioned ONLY the features you just called useless. And yet, it sold pretty damn well in the UK. Sky Player, Zune marketplace, Facebook, Twitter and Last Fm are actually pretty attractive things for a less hardcore gamer.

Since neither of us have any evidence as to why consumers bought a console, i thought i'd just give you that bit of information. Also, you want to know what's shoddy? Facebook on the PS3.

Facebook on PS3 is beyond shoddy. I also forgot to mention I really enjoy the Netflix streaming on my consoles, so I will give that feature a thumbs up.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
So uhh...these are still consoles, right?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#40 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I wouldn't pay for it, but it would be a semi-interesting addition (for free), I guess. I mean, I'm not so lazy that I can't turn on any one of the 4 ESPN channels I get...
KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts

StatsSky Player, Zune marketplace, Facebook, Twitter and Last Fm are actually pretty attractive things for a less hardcore gamer.Stats_

My GF likes last.fm and Netflix in the bedroom and living room with the 360s in the house. She never uses the360s for anything else.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

I thought ESPN was the first tier for most all cable and satellite. I'd rather they do some programming that is 2nd tier or better. It's a good start though, can only get better.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

I don't see the point. I'll just shut the 360 off if I want to tune into ESPN.

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Idream2010
Member since 2010 • 469 Posts

I would definitely like that. Thanks for evolving Live more and more MS, at least I know when im paying 50 bucks a year I know they will have things in mind to make the Xbox live experience better.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts

[QUOTE="Stats_"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

mdh1982

I use the sky player quite a lot I can watch any of the 400+ movies instantly any time instead of waiting for it to come around on TV again