ESA Study: 59% of Americans play games, 68% on consoles

#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16825 posts) -

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/27/esa-study-59-of-americans-play-games-68-on-consoles/

"Ladies. Gentlemen. Look to your left. Now look to your right. Data from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) suggests that nearly 2 out of 3 Americans - 59 percent, to be exact - play games. That's right. One of you is a non-believer. Shuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Yes, the ESA's data for 2014 has been released, and there's plenty more numbers to be read, analyzed and scrutinized. For example, 68 percent of respondents reported they they play games on consoles, making them the most-played dedicated gaming device. Smartphones are catching up, however. The ESA's data reports that 53 percent of Americans play games on their smartphones, an increase of 22 percent since 2012.

While, according to the ESA, 95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play, only 56 percent of parents found video games to be a positive part of their child's life. That may not be too big of an issue however, as the average gamer is 31 years old, and has been playing games for 14 years.

There's plenty more data to be found in the ESA's full report, if you're feeling so inclined."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes a lot of sense to me. I remember how people used to say video games were just for kids. Now it's pretty much a big part of our culture. I also don't feel old anymore lol. Your thoughts, SW?

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6937 posts) -

How many of those games being played are real video games and not some mobile shit though.

#3 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3474 posts) -

Console Domination Continuation.

#4 Posted by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

PC gamers would've been part of the count if they'd come out of the basement dwelling

#5 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15917 posts) -

Depends too were the bulk of them little rascals are gaming on. If I canvassed the gamers among my family and relatives, the little kiddies outnumber us adults and older teens by more than 2 to 1.

#6 Posted by Blabadon (25934 posts) -

Well, here's hoping smartphones somehow become more positive influences than what they look like so far.

#7 Edited by melonfarmerz (1125 posts) -

@princessgomez92: Well the majority of gamers are still kids so I'd be surprised if consoles weren't dominating. This isn't and insult, there is no kid who's parents will buy them an 800 dollar PC if they could just get a 400 dollar console.

Side note, i'm quite curious as to what stats in asian and europe are, where PC's much more popular

#8 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

And most Europeans plays games on PC than Console.

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

#9 Posted by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

What is really interesting is that 53% of households play on a smartphone, and that segment of the market is only really a few years old, with phenomenal growth rates. Mobile takeover of gaming confirmed.

#10 Posted by inb4uall (5351 posts) -

What is really interesting is that 53% of households play on a smartphone, and that segment of the market is only really a few years old, with phenomenal growth rates. Mobile takeover of gaming confirmed.

Until phones can offer games of equal quality to consoles, PC that will never happen. The games target completely different consumers and markets.

#11 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

PC Beggars about to have nuclear meltdown.

#12 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -
#13 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -
#14 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

and rest of the world play PC more.

my country is not rich. but majority gamers here are PC gamers.

#15 Edited by Suppaman100 (3771 posts) -

Where you from?

#16 Posted by jake44 (1960 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Where you from?

He lives in the past.

#17 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2114 posts) -

@jake44 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

Where you from?

He lives in the past.

Change the past to save the future.

#18 Posted by Merex760 (4284 posts) -

US has always been dominated by consoles. While in Europe, PC gaming is extremely popular. Massive LAN gatherings happen there like Dreamhack and The Gathering. Nothing of that scale PC wise happens in the US. Quakecon is probably the closest.

#19 Posted by MBirdy88 (7704 posts) -

Gotta love the PC comments.... American's will take shallow convenience over depthful enthusiast devices? shock-horror? *rolls eyes*.

#20 Edited by Mr-Powers (224 posts) -

OUCH

#21 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16825 posts) -

This proves a fact that USA is cheap country. They always buy what is cheapest, while Europe buys what cost a lot and is most quality.

Americans are not nation. They are people around the world, all immigrants in there.

but according to SW PC is suppose to be cheaper than consoles, remember?

#22 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6146 posts) -

Did you know? 98% of us will die at one point of our lives or another.

#23 Posted by kipsta77 (939 posts) -

lol. 'Murica.

#24 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Where you from?

I find it ironic how he never replies when he gets called out. He'll only reply if it suits him. My money is on him living in America.

#25 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150326 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

I have a gaming PC, a laptop, several consoles and will upgrade to more consoles when games come out, a couple tablets, and a smart phone. I'm not the only one in the US that does that. So maybe it's Europe that's cheap.

#26 Posted by Kinthalis (5306 posts) -

PC gamers would've been part of the count if they'd come out of the basement dwelling

Clueless consolite, news at 11!

ESA combines PC and console into one category for a number of it's reports.

#27 Posted by Heirren (16542 posts) -

How many of those games being played are real video games and not some mobile shit though.

I think you'd be surprised. Games are accepted nowadays. It isn't uncommon for someone you may not think to own a game console to have one near their tv. It is part of the reason games like COD and Uncharted are so popular. They allow for casual thrills, or to be completed in a weekend. One can call them kiddie games, but in reality a lot of the AAA games are also made for the gamer from the 80s that still buys and plays games. They just no longer have the time to invest in more lengthy games.

#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150326 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I think you'd be surprised. Games are accepted nowadays. It isn't uncommon for someone you may not think to own a game console to have one near their tv. It is part of the reason games like COD and Uncharted are so popular. They allow for casual thrills, or to be completed in a weekend. One can call them kiddie games, but in reality a lot of the AAA games are also made for the gamer from the 80s that still buys and plays games. They just no longer have the time to invest in more lengthy games.

What does that have to do with his comment about mobile games?

#29 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

#30 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150326 posts) -

"95 percent of parents pay attention to the content of the games their children play"

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

#31 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150326 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

Sorry...that really isn't proof of your statement dude.

#33 Posted by Heirren (16542 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

What does that have to do with his comment about mobile games?

I'm saying that it is unlikely that mobile games play such a large role.

#34 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9880 posts) -

If this casual mobile gaming bs ruins console gaming in the future ima be pissed!

#35 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6986 posts) -

Well, I'm an American who plays on both consoles and the PC. The poll didn't ask if they played exclusively on consoles, so I think people are reading facts from this that just aren't there. I will say that PC gaming is a lot cheaper than console gaming, though, and most Americans that I know believe the opposite to be true. Really, I think the biggest barrier to entry for PC gaming in the USA is that you have to actually learn what parts are needed, how to understand and compare specs, and how to put it all together. It's a culture thing, really. Most people don't like learning new things. I have no idea if that is the case in other countries, but it really is the case here.

#36 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

#37 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

#38 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16825 posts) -

Well, I'm an American who plays on both consoles and the PC. The poll didn't ask if they played exclusively on consoles, so I think people are reading facts from this that just aren't there. I will say that PC gaming is a lot cheaper than console gaming, though, and most Americans that I know believe the opposite to be true. Really, I think the biggest barrier to entry for PC gaming in the USA is that you have to actually learn what parts are needed, how to understand and compare specs, and how to put it all together. It's a culture thing, really. Most people don't like learning new things. I have no idea if that is the case in other countries, but it really is the case here.

Another thing that I consider is the fact that PC sales overall are in a decline. I can't imagine someone justifying a desktop purchase unless they have a specific need in mind.

#39 Edited by Motokid6 (5246 posts) -
#40 Edited by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

That is a very high amount and from personal experience many parents don't really have a clue about games. I'd imagine that will change now with average gamer age being around prime first time parent age or atleast having a child a few years old; will know what is in what game.

It would be interesting to know just how little parents know abot their kids games.

#41 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (759 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

Oh, yes it is LOL. Also Call of Duty, and any other mature rated games.

#42 Posted by heretrix (37310 posts) -

Consoles aren't cheap. It's not like they asked if people only buy consoles when they drop to 99 bucks. Also, a lot of those people also own Ipads and PC/Macs as well. Some people like myself own more than one gaming PC and several laptops. So, whatever dude.

#43 Posted by Heil68 (43462 posts) -

Well with the best games made only available on console, you can see why.

#44 Posted by clyde46 (44983 posts) -

@stationplay_4 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@stationplay_4 said:

LOL what a load of shit.

Any proof otherwise?

grand theft auto online

What proof do you need? Have you played GTA:O or COD on XBL? Have you not had your ears raped by a 12 year old calling you a *&$%£?

#45 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

dat console domination that make herms angry. And it's particularly painful in the ass to them when they realize that like half of the PC revenue comes from 2 or 3 games. lol

#46 Edited by clyde46 (44983 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

dat console domination that make herms angry. And it's particularly painful in the ass to them when they realize that like half of the PC revenue comes from 2 or 3 games. lol

Do you think that we see any of that money? Are console gamers going to see any of that money made by GTA5?

#47 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

To be expected.