EPIC: PS4 & XBOX 720 not powerful enough for UE4

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2689 posts) -

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/21/epic-games-has-seen-ps4xbox-720-specs-theyre-not-powerful-enough/

Epic Games has a unique position in the games industry because Unreal Engine, owned by the venerable firm, is used by more developers than any other. Because of this, the companys bosses believe they have the ability to help shape what next generation games should look like, however after seeing PS4 and Xbox 720s specs, theyve concluded its not enough and are actively lobbying Sony and Microsoft to make the next PlayStation and Xbox more powerful.

inb4 Bu..bu... loosingENDS said its gona be GeForce GTX 980 with 20 GB RAM :cry: :lol:

#2 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha,
#3 Posted by super600 (30723 posts) -

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/05/21/epic-games-has-seen-ps4xbox-720-specs-theyre-not-powerful-enough/

Epic Games has a unique position in the games industry because Unreal Engine, owned by the venerable firm, is used by more developers than any other. Because of this, the companys bosses believe they have the ability to help shape what next generation games should look like, however after seeing PS4 and Xbox 720s specs, theyve concluded its not enough and are actively lobbying Sony and Microsoft to make the next PlayStation and Xbox more powerful.

inb4 Bu..bu... loosingENDS said its gona be GeForce GTX 980 with 20 GB RAM :cry: :lol:

BlbecekBobecek

Really old link.:lol:

#4 Posted by RR360DD (12001 posts) -
An article from May? Really?
#5 Posted by Blabadon (26676 posts) -
Optimization. It'll be fine. Epic made the biggest name for itself on the 360, they won't not support the next console without their premier engine.
#6 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2689 posts) -

An article from May? Really?RR360DD

Myths need to be busted with the means we have ;)

#7 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -
Super old article. I'm sure the specs have improved since then, if not oh well.
#8 Posted by jimmyrussle117 (774 posts) -

Owned

#9 Posted by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

Optimization.Blabadon

LOL! I was going to do the whole "In b4 teh Optimizationz!!!" But man, that was quick.

Sure kid, optimization is going to turn a mid range GPU into 3 GTX 680's in SLI... Uh huh, don't you fret.

#10 Posted by SolidTy (43887 posts) -

I think I read this news back in May this year...

EDIT : Yeah, I'm fairly certain this was posted in SW months ago.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (45267 posts) -
As long as the PS4 can run it, I'm good.
#12 Posted by AdobeArtist (22951 posts) -

The date of the article aside, if Epic is really unhappy with the next gen console specs, they should just build their own machine to run their engine as they want to see it. In the end they have to tweak their engine to work with the available hardware, same as every other developer in their given time. Wanting more is pointless.

#13 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

197 day old link.

#14 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -
Sounds a bit worrying. Since the article is a bit old I hope Epic, Crytek etc have managed to convince MS/SOny to add a bit more power. I guess we will see next year.
#15 Posted by lundy86_4 (43571 posts) -

Sounds a bit worrying. Since the article is a bit old I hope Epic, Crytek etc have managed to convince MS/SOny to add a bit more power. I guess we will see next year.Sushiglutton

Yep. After all, we saw this with the 360.

#16 Posted by Sushiglutton (5340 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]Sounds a bit worrying. Since the article is a bit old I hope Epic, Crytek etc have managed to convince MS/SOny to add a bit more power. I guess we will see next year.lundy86_4

Yep. After all, we saw this with the 360.

Yep that's one of the reason they give out prototype ;)
#17 Posted by SectorSix6 (204 posts) -
before you go google searching for any kind of news you can find to create a topic check the dates.
#18 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Honestly the UE3 wasn't anything special and it's pretty ugly so the UE4 being MIA on next gen consoles wouldn't be much of a loss at all. I would rather see what kind of progress DICE and Cryteck can make with their Frostbite and Cryengine engines.

#19 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Optimization.Kinthalis

LOL! I was going to do the whole "In b4 teh Optimizationz!!!" But man, that was quick.

Sure kid, optimization is going to turn a mid range GPU into 3 GTX 680's in SLI... Uh huh, don't you fret.

No... but it can lower the gap between what would be a huge difference and diminishing returns. We are getting there because each time you need a bigger and bigger jump in hardware to notice the small differences.

We are not talking about raw power. Obviously a consoles power would always be the same.

Edit: Also the article is old as f*ck.

#20 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

Honestly the UE3 wasn't anything special and it's pretty ugly so the UE4 being MIA on next gen consoles wouldn't be much of a loss at all. I would rather see what kind of progress DICE and Cryteck can make with their Frostbite and Cryengine engines.

Rockman999
I have no doubt UE4 will be great, but I agree, Frostbite and CreyEngine has just always been a bit more friendly to open world/large worlds. I want to see more of that next gen, but if UE4 can improve on that then hey why not.
#21 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4713 posts) -
If true I called it. Doesn't even need to be that powerful anyway. We'll all make due with 2GB RAM and Quad-Core CPUs for the next generation guys. EDIT: Wait, this is crazy old!
#22 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -

Epic needs the income too much to abstain from next gen consoles, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that when UE4 arrives on the next-gen systems it will be a very dumbed-down version. The Wii could run Unreal Engine 3, after all, but that does not mean that the games for it were impressive looking.

At the end of the day, engines are only toolboxes for making games. It is easier to buy a pre-made toolbox than to make each tool yourself, but buying a good tool box does not guarantee that you will be able to build a beautiful house. UE4 will likely be made to run on the next-gen systems regardless of how powerful they end up being, and it's in Epic's best interest to make sure that the systems are as powerful as they can be, but in the end, the weight lies on Sony and Microsoft to make sure their systems are up to snuff, which has always been the case with new hardware. either there will be a next-gen leap that people will want to pay for, or there won't be.

#23 Posted by Sphensen (771 posts) -

it wouldn't surprise me that next gen consoles couldn't fully run UE4 because they just built UE4 and spent some jack on it, hopefully they tried to do some future proofing with it. But, I"m calling BS because they have also said that UE4 will be scalable for all different platforms, like smart phones and such, so why would they lobby for better consoles?

#24 Posted by getyeryayasout (7607 posts) -
If UE4 is going to be the future standard I'm fairly confident that Sony and MS's next machines will run it, even if it's scaled down. If not, next gen is going to hurt Epic badly.
#25 Posted by Wasdie (50003 posts) -

Not only is an old link Epic would never really be satisfied with the power of the next gen consoles.

#26 Posted by gamecubepad (6120 posts) -

They never say it's not powerful enough for UE4. They said it's not powerful enough for their liking. Current gen consoles can run stripped-down versions of CE3, so I'm sure even a A10+7670 or a 7750/70 would be able to handle it.

Consoles aren't getting any better than a 7850. Who cares? Look what ND or T10 can do with a 7800gt or x1800 gpu.

#27 Posted by Bigboi500 (30113 posts) -

But I thought PS4 and 720 would be total beasts that could display dual 1400p and 120fps and light the sky with fireworks?

#28 Posted by SoraX64 (29221 posts) -
For everyone complaining how old the link is, do any of you have something that actually refutes the point in the article? Just because it's old doesn't make it automatically worthless.
#29 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, clyde46
#30 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8774 posts) -

Trying to lobby Sony and Microsoft to make their system powerful is a bad idea. Especially with today's economy, can anyone really afford $400+ consoles?

#31 Posted by Wasdie (50003 posts) -

Trying to lobby Sony and Microsoft to make their system powerful is a bad idea. Especially with today's economy, can anyone really afford $400+ consoles?

FireEmblem_Man

Comes a point where people are going to be taking serious looks at the alternatives. How many people are going to drop $500 on a console when they can get a good tablet for $300.

#32 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

FireEmblem_Man
Yes.
#33 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

MAY 21 2012

/THREAD.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE. MOVE ALONG.

#34 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

oldnews.jpg

OLD NEWS!

#35 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -
Why don't mods lock this? Making this thread is the equivalent of bumping the thread of same topic made in May
#36 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
old article..
#37 Posted by AM-Gamer (4050 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Optimization.Kinthalis

They wont need optimzation to run UE4 they will do it with raw power , hermits grasping for straws hoping everything will be like the Wii U.

#38 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

it has been said on countless times next gen wont be that big of a jump , epic can just F them selfs if they want everyone else to break their bank , ,

#39 Posted by 67gt500 (4621 posts) -
An article from May? Really?RR360DD
Naturally, nothing that was said in May could possibly be either true or relevent today...
#40 Posted by ChelGirl86 (87 posts) -
[QUOTE="RR360DD"]An article from May? Really?67gt500
Naturally, nothing that was said in May could possibly be either true or relevent today...

The video game business changes all the time. News from that long ago usually isn't considered reliable.
#41 Posted by thechuck11 (2 posts) -

I don't think you quite understand. Optimization is everything in consoles, they run much more efficient than a PC ever could. This is why 7 years from launch they can still play bf3 with a decent picture, try using a pc with the xbox 360 video card and cpu and see how far that gets ya. by the way I'm both a pc and xbox gamer

#42 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

may 21, 2012....

sure somethings has changed lol.

epic did push microsoft to up the 360

i would say half of ms/sony fans are hardcore and if they can't get what they want from next gen console i am sure they flock even faster getting a rig

#43 Posted by Epak_ (6791 posts) -

Super old article. I'm sure the specs have improved since then, if not oh well. Blazerdt47

Have things changed since then?

#44 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5666 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"] Super old article. I'm sure the specs have improved since then, if not oh well. Epak_

Have things changed since then?

It's like comparing Pre-Alpha to Alpha to Beta.

#45 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

They never say it's not powerful enough for UE4. They said it's not powerful enough for their liking. Current gen consoles can run stripped-down versions of CE3, so I'm sure even a A10+7670 or a 7750/70 would be able to handle it.

Consoles aren't getting any better than a 7850. Who cares? Look what ND or T10 can do with a 7800gt or x1800 gpu.

gamecubepad
What Naughty Dog can do is a testament to their stellar art team, not a testament of how technologically amazing their engine or the PS3 is
#46 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

Epic can kick and cry all they want. Neithermanufacturer is dumb enough to make another super computer.

#47 Posted by sailor232 (4835 posts) -

I dont get it, if a console is under spec'd people say "optimisation", with the wiiU they just plain out bash it.

#48 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

Epic can kick and cry all they want. Neithermanufacturer is dumb enough to make another super computer.

goblaa
They are, however, dumb enough to make motion controls the focus of their consoles.
#49 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Will they be powerful enough to run Samaritan (Unreal Engine 3.9) and Agni, tho?

Could be quite hard to stuff that GTX 680 and 32 gigs of RAM in that small console case...

#50 Posted by Epak_ (6791 posts) -

Will they be powerful enough to run Samaritan (Unreal Engine 3.9) and Agni, tho?

Could be quite hard to stuff that GTX 680 and 32 gigs of RAM in that small console case...

nameless12345

Well they can always make 'em huge.