• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AdobeArtist (22789 posts) -

So yeah, we've had battles over the Graphics Kings, Audio Kings, Physics Kings, Stealth Kings, Best lead character, hottest gaming babe, level design, etc...

But what about the engines which makes all of these things possible? This one seems overdue, so get voting.
Oh and what better way to judge than to see what these babies can do :)

UNREAL

gears3

batman

masseffect3

FROSTBITE

BF3-1

BF3-2

CRY-ENGINE

crysis01

crysis02

RED ENGINE

witcher02

witcher03

MODE 7

f-zero

castlevania

#2 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

I like the Red Engine.

#3 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21431 posts) -
hitman absolution engine.
#4 Posted by RR360DD (11517 posts) -
Frostbite
#5 Posted by Blabadon (25681 posts) -
It'll be between CryEngine's gorgeous-with-mods, great vanilla engine, or FrostBite's gorgeous vanilla but buggy engine.
#6 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

White Engine

SE = hair gods :P

#7 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

Unreal and CryEngine are the best engines, IMO. But I think CryEngine takes the edge for optimisation. I ran Crysis 2 almost maxed out on my old GTX 260. I know that the game is consolised but it still looks amazing.

#8 Posted by freedomfreak (38717 posts) -
hitman absolution engine.TheGuardian03
Glacier engine, methinks. I like the Anvil engine.
#9 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
The CryEngine was definately impressive but frostbite is the only engine thats been used effectively for shooters AND racing games (please note that vehicles in shooters don't count as racing).
#10 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

The CryEngine was definately impressive but frostbite is the only engine thats been used effectively for shooters AND racing games (please note that vehicles in shooters don't count as racing).Lulekani

Which racer used Frostbite? Was it NFS or something else?

#11 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

RAGE for me.

#12 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42583 posts) -

Rage Engine for me.

Cheleman
Tech 5, as Rage proved, was utter-sh*t.
#13 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

CryEngine>Red Engine>Mode 7>Frostbite>Unreal

#14 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Probably Unreal. It's used in so many games and consistently provides great looking games.

#15 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Rage Engine for me.

Stevo_the_gamer

I think he means Rockstar's Rage Engine (Rockstar's Advanced Game Engine)

#16 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Rage Engine for me.

Stevo_the_gamer

Whoops, fixed it:P

#17 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42583 posts) -
It's a toss up between Unreal and CryEngine for me.
#18 Posted by Cheleman (7616 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Rage Engine for me.

BPoole96

yap:P

#19 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42583 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Rage Engine for me.

BPoole96

Oh good, for a minute there, I thought he was referring to Tech5.
#20 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Tech 5, as Rage proved, was utter-sh*t.Stevo_the_gamer

Yeah id Tech 5 is a joke. Rage has some of the worst looking textures ever and the texture pop in is atrocious (although Unreal has it's fair share of pop in as well)

#21 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

Tie between unreal and cryengine. Very easy to make games to pc and 360 using these tools and systems sets.

#22 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

no infinity engine?

#23 Posted by JohnF111 (14047 posts) -
Unreal has given us many more and better games than any other engine. Nough said.
#24 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Euphoria engine. I don't get why more developers don't make use of this. The physics in GTA IV, RDR and Max Payne are absolutely fantastic.

The Quake 3 engine is still alive and kicking. Pieces of it live on in games even today and is pretty much what all the COD games are running on.

#25 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42583 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Yeah id Tech 5 is a joke. Rage has some of the worst looking textures ever and the texture pop in is atrocious (although Unreal has it's fair share of pop in as well)

Yeah, I can't believe Carmack would give PC gamers the biggest middle finger I've seen in years. RAGE on PC was just downright insulting at launch.
#26 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]The CryEngine was definately impressive but frostbite is the only engine thats been used effectively for shooters AND racing games (please note that vehicles in shooters don't count as racing).NeonNinja

Which racer used Frostbite? Was it NFS or something else?

I think it was Need For Speed The Run.
#27 Posted by TheEroica (13240 posts) -

The thought of frostbite running Mass Effect 4 has indoctrinated me...

#28 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Oh good, for a minute there, I thought he was referring to Tech5.Stevo_the_gamer

Yeah, I can't believe Carmack would give PC gamers the biggest middle finger I've seen in years. RAGE on PC was just downright insulting at launch.

It never even got support for Crossfire setups for PC. I'm not sure if that is AMD's or id's fault since AMD cards don't perform as well as they should on OpenGL engines. I get better performance running a single GPU than I do if I have CFX enabled. It's the only game I have come across that has negative CFX scaling.

#29 Posted by Blabadon (25681 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Oh good, for a minute there, I thought he was referring to Tech5.Stevo_the_gamer

How is it now?
#30 Posted by PAL360 (26647 posts) -

Probably RAGE (GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption and soon GTA V). It's impressive how it handles huge worlds, physics, euphoria animations, etc...

#31 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

Mode 7 is still King!

#32 Posted by topgunmv (10136 posts) -

Avalanche engine.

#33 Posted by topgunmv (10136 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Blabadon

How is it now?

Fine, after downloading the custom config settings file from the steam forums.

#34 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42583 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Yeah, I can't believe Carmack would give PC gamers the biggest middle finger I've seen in years. RAGE on PC was just downright insulting at launch.topgunmv

How is it now?

Game still looks like sh*t on PC even with the custom config.
#35 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Would be nice to know what all these engines have to their name. I couldn't tell you what game uses what engine.

-

inb4googleit.

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Probably RAGE (GTA 4, Red Dead Redemption and soon GTA V). It's impressive how it handles huge worlds, physics, euphoria animations, etc...

PAL360

the euphoria engine is the engine that handles physics and animations in those games.

#37 Posted by topgunmv (10136 posts) -

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] How is it now?Stevo_the_gamer

Game still looks like sh*t on PC even with the custom config.

It's weird, it looks good and like sh|t at the same time.

Characters at least look great even up close.

#38 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Avalanche engine.

topgunmv
Avalanche is awesome too. Dem explosions
#39 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Geo Mod 2.5 is excellent as well for it's insane destruction (as seen in Red Faction Guerilla and Armageddon)

#40 Posted by gettingpatches (210 posts) -

It may be not be the most advanced, but I still have quite a soft spot for the source engine, but probably more for the games that are on it than the technology itself. Although that said some of the stuff implemented in the left 4 dead version, specifically the ai director/composor is very nice (There was a really good article about how it depawned and spawned zombies keeping a suprisingly low number on screen despite there feeling like lots).

Since I'm already doing my best to avoid the engines on the list I'm also going to through mtFramework mobile, which is probably one of the best engines on the 3ds as of current for the simple fact that it applies anti-aliasing when the 3d is off which is nice as well as providing pretty mcuh the most impressive visuals it's got.

Of the listed engines cryengine sticks in my mind mostly for an incredibaly impressive mod which gave vehicles soft body physics which looked really realisitic. Going purely by physics though I also really like endorphin (not an engine but such a good idea) which is implemented in RAGE as well as possibly others.

#41 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

7bdbcb1feda2112de22b53e254dd96e5cd605cac

final-fantasy-vi-advance-gameboy-advance

Mode 7 was so advanced for its time

#42 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -
Love this thread, but it needs MOAR PICTURES!
#43 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -
The Unreal Engine of this generation is the Quake 3 engine of the previous generation.
#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

FireEmblem_Man

Why is yoshi driving the wrong way ?:P

#45 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

R4gn4r0k

Why is yoshi driving the wrong way ?:P

Because Yoshi is da coolest, and he only needs to drive backwards to win

#46 Posted by gettingpatches (210 posts) -

Love this thread, but it needs MOAR PICTURES!musicalmac

your wish is my command ;)

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/170/soruce.png

Oh and as I couldn't copy straight off the PDF I made the mistake of searching l4d2 groin injury...

#47 Posted by RoccoHout (974 posts) -

Frostbite is probably the best engine. Its amazing in showing destruction, cinematics, making the game as real as possible.

I can't wait to play Generals 2 in this engine

#48 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
CryEngine, no doubt.
#49 Posted by musicalmac (22818 posts) -
Am I the only one who was never impressed with the Frostbite engine? It always seemed to be less of a dynamic system, and more of a scripted, fake system.
#50 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Am I the only one who was never impressed with the Frostbite engine? It always seemed to be less of a dynamic system, and more of a scripted, fake system.musicalmac

I'm not impressed much by it either, especially Frostbite 2. Most of the destruction looks scripted and overall pales in comparison to GeoMod 2.5's destruction/physics.