Elite developer explains why no console version

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Also the reason the franchise "froze".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-07-if-elite-were-on-console-there-would-be-an-expectation-the-game-would-be-dumbed-down

"There was publisher interest - but the problem is, they're after a schedule and a release and for you to say what's going to be in it. It would constrain what's in the game, and there would be an expectation that we would be on console, and there would then be a follow-on expectation that the game design would be dumbed-down."

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

looks good sadly but yes if the game looks drastically worse then PC version people would flip out

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@lancex2: umm that's not what he said

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup

My friends, console gamer logic seems very odd. Whenever a pc gamer fellow says "dumbed down". They blame pc gamers piracy. Or, outright deny the phenomenon exist.

But the truth, at the hart of it.... Publishers think you are stupid, console gamers. They do not credit you with intelligence. Indeed, the gaming media would rather you be incredibly stupid Jersey Shore cast members as well. One look at gamespots front page shows excessive dumbing down since it's incarnation. Resorting to staff members looking "wacky" to catch the eye of potential traffic.

I feel, you younger fellows really need to start developing some form of dignity, stand up, say "no more, I am better than this".

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I feel, you younger fellows really need to start developing some form of dignity, stand up, say "no more, I am better than this".

And do exactly what, shitpost like you do everyday and speak to imaginary friends? You should stop with the rubbish, people like Danny O'dwyer are awesome.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen are real AAA games . Can't wait for the release of both .

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, console gamer logic seems very odd. Whenever a pc gamer fellow says "dumbed down". They blame pc gamers piracy. Or, outright deny the phenomenon exist.

But the truth, at the hart of it.... Publishers think you are stupid, console gamers. They do not credit you with intelligence. Indeed, the gaming media would rather you be incredibly stupid Jersey Shore cast members as well. One look at gamespots front page shows excessive dumbing down since it's incarnation. Resorting to staff members looking "wacky" to catch the eye of potential traffic.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/03/minecraft-sells-14-million-on-pc-series-total-over-35-million

Enough said.......

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Sorry, but the idea that consoling and casualising a game are the same thing is overwrought BS.

If it were true it would stand that console franchises can't be dumbed by over time (which many most certainly have). These are two different, but parallel processes.

Put down the wine glass (filled with grape juice) and take off the monocle.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Articuno76

@uninspiredcup said:

Sorry, but the idea that consoling and casualising a game are the same thing is overwrought BS.

If it were true it would stand that console franchises can't be dumbed by over time (which many most certainly have). These are two different, but parallel processes.

Put down the wine glass (filled with grape juice) and take off the monocle because it sounds like it is comments like yours that are what the developer is worried about.

edit: I have no idea what your trying to say in the first paragraph. Who is saying what to who?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup

@Articuno76 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, we have direct confirmation in the very post you quote. Publishers think you, the console gamers are stupid, below pc gaming. Regardless if it is true or not, is irrelevant. They think you are and have games designed accordingly.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Articuno76

@uninspiredcup said:

@Articuno76 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, we have direct confirmation in the very post you quote. Publishers think you, the console gamers are stupid, below pc gaming. Regardless if it is true or not, is irrelevant. They think you are and have games designed accordingly.

He alternates in that particular paragraph between talking about meeting publisher demands (top-down) and player expectations (bottom-up). The 'follow-on' expectation sounds like it is talking about consumers, not the publisher.

Publisher expectation that a game will be dumbed down is not a problem for a product pitch towards publishers, it's a a problem when pitching a product to consumers.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Could be console gamers never asked for it in the first place. Please keep this pc garbage off our consoles.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts
Loading Video...

consolites just aren't smart enough to play this kind of games.