Elite coming to console

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (12869 posts) -

Link

Good news my friends, pc gamers are paying £100 to help the developer ensure it works for consoles. Since that's what pc gamers do now, pay extortionate prices for alpha's and beta's.

Excitement ensues? Care level very high, yes?

#4 Posted by kinectthedots (2673 posts) -

Before...

Hermits: Not possible on consoles, exclusives like this that's why I threw down the $$$. Games like this you can only find on PC baby.

now...

Hermits: Derp

#5 Edited by delta3074 (18874 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Link

Good news my friends, pc gamers are paying £100 to help the developer ensure it works for consoles. Since that's what pc gamers do now, pay extortionate prices for alpha's and beta's.

This game could be the one that gets me to upgrade, played the original Elite on the Commodore 64 and BBC micro when i was younger, put hours into it, Darkstar one on the 360 was a pretty good clone and i am playing GOF 2 on my nexus 7 at the mo which is also pretty good but none of them are as good as ELITE was back in the day.

I love space sims but there just doesn't seem to be enough of them on consoles.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (12869 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

This is because consoles have 8 buttons and publishers actively think you are stupid.
And indeed, want you to be stupid, so they can spread the butter as far as humanly possible.

#7 Posted by delta3074 (18874 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

Before...

Hermits: Not possible on consoles, exclusives like this that's why I threw down the $$$. Games like this you can only find on PC baby.

now...

It's just one game out of the Many space sims there are on PC, the PC has tons of them and you are calling ownage on Herms over one game? seriously?

Console controllers are not suited for an in depth Space sim, Elite will be a great game but it will lack the depth of most PC space sims like star citizen.

They can still easily justify dropping bucks on a PC over a console as far as space sims are concerned so you don't really have a point.

#9 Posted by lostrib (42848 posts) -

What us this?

#10 Edited by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -
@delta3074 said:

Space sim is very niche genre. they were popular in 80s. after that they decline and now they are returning. its a PC genre.

#11 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5610 posts) -
@delta3074 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Before...

now...

It's just one game out of the Many space sims there are on PC, the PC has tons of them and you are calling ownage on Herms over one game? seriously?

Console controllers are not suited for an in depth Space sim, Elite will be a great game but it will lack the depth of most PC space sims like star citizen.

They can still easily justify dropping bucks on a PC over a console as far as space sims are concerned so you don't really have a point.

Since when is there tons of Space sims on PC? There has only been 2 since freelancer (2001, best space game btw...then MS disbanded the dev :( )
Those being: X series and Darkstar 1

Both were lacking big time! X series is to hardcore of a sim and less of a game. The game feels like it uses real time space flight time, as the ships fly so slow... and the controls are totally crap!
Darkstar 1 played good, with good controls, but there was only 1 ship, and it wasn't a game where you could make your own way.

Now if you meant of all time Pc has tons, then sure.... but then you have to go back 15-20 years.... kinda sucks. Been waiting for a proper space sim forever.

And if this comes out on PS4.... I will get a copy on both PC and PS4.... I love space sims and the last one on console was Wing Commander series and Colony Wars...back in the damn 90s (that I remember anyway)

#12 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5080 posts) -

You stole my thread.

@SYSTEM-REBOOT: Actually, EVE Valkyrie is also getting a console release. Atleast, from what i've read, it's space combat type game, so i guess it counts.

#13 Edited by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

lolshitcup thread.

graphic representation of TC, those who played portal 2 will understand.

#14 Edited by kinectthedots (2673 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Before...

now...

Why so serious lol. Don't care about this game in the least but herms made a big deal about it for the upcoming exclusive PC line-up so I reminded them about it them with this little jab.

This is the way it is, If PC devs believe there is a chance for success with their games in the console sector this gen they are going to jump at it. The difference between consoles this gen and and the average PC gamer is too close for the majority of PC developers to ignore.

#15 Posted by delta3074 (18874 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@delta3074 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Before...

now...

Since when is there tons of Space sims on PC? There has only been 2 since freelancer (2001, best space game btw...then MS disbanded the dev :( )

Those being: X series and Darkstar 1

Both were lacking big time! X series is to hardcore of a sim and less of a game. The game feels like it uses real time space flight time, as the ships fly so slow... and the controls are totally crap!

Darkstar 1 played good, with good controls, but there was only 1 ship, and it wasn't a game where you could make your own way.

Now if you meant of all time Pc has tons, then sure.... but then you have to go back 15-20 years.... kinda sucks. Been waiting for a proper space sim forever.

And if this comes out on PS4.... I will get a copy on both PC and PS4.... I love space sims and the last one on console was Wing Commander series and Colony Wars...back in the damn 90s (that I remember anyway)

Colony wars was an excellent IP, SONY should consider bringing it back.

#16 Edited by Cloud_imperium (6351 posts) -

Don't care even if they are going to release it for web browsers , once PC version is out . If more people are going to play this then it's a good thing . All we want is , true PC game . Later they can do whatever they want with the game , at least I don't care .

And no they didn't say it is coming to consoles ATM . They said , they'd stupid to not try to do so .

#17 Posted by Heil68 (47238 posts) -

No chance to do that good on consoles.

#18 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (28565 posts) -

Glad they'll have something to decent play at last!

#19 Edited by Wasdie (50651 posts) -

Nothing is confirmed. They said they'll probably look into it in the future but they aren't working on it now.

Not like the game is doing anything ridiculously demanding. The interface is actually very simple and can be navigated with a controller already.

#20 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5610 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Don't care even if they are going to release it for web browsers , once PC version is out . If more people are going to play this then it's a good thing . All we want is , true PC game . Later they can do whatever they want with the game , at least I don't care .

And no they didn't say it is coming to consoles ATM . They said , they'd stupid to not try to do so .

This is my feelings on this exactly. Back in the 6th gen and before... PC games were made first and then adapted to console after the fact if it suited. A lot of the PC games were tweaked to fit console or even remade entirely... (example: Far cry instincts, Battlefield2: Modern Combat, Baldurs gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 , etc...)

I hate how since gen 7 Pc games get a port of most console games, instead of the other way around. It seems like all game past 2007ish were made for the lower common denominator (consoles) and up resed for pc. Even big PC only titles did that last gen...remember Unreal T ornament 3 ...game didn't even have proper pc spec settings and had a console menus...with big bulky gears of war models ...what a peice of shit compared to the pc centric UT2004 (which also had a console release but pared down from the proper pc version).

Its good this game is coming to console...at a later date...like diablo 3.. More games need to do this. I hope it's now a trend of making a PC game first and then porting to console, instead of making a console game and porting to the pc like happened all last gen.

I got so frustrated when games started being ported over from console, instead of pc to console. Everyone shrugged it off and said I was talking crazy, that it wouldn't be a trend, and it happened all last gen. Really pissed me off. So many great series were borked because of developers trying to chase the console money pie instead of making the most compelling advnaced in depth game they could. Gen 7 sucked in that regard! It didn't start to get better until recently.

#21 Posted by Star0 (451 posts) -

Hmm, I have a mint copy of the NES original...wonder how much it would go for.

#22 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

So, inferior consolized port coming possibly, perhaps, a year + AFTER PC version + expansion and won't affect PC version in the least?

Awesome, IMHO.

#23 Posted by osan0 (13028 posts) -

oddly enough the one console they ignore is the one console this could work really well on imho: the wiiu.

having that second screen for trade, ship configuration, navigation and so on (not the radar), combined with the combination of motion sensor and analogue stick for movement + all the buttons...it could work really well if done properly. i often say that this is the direction starfox should take if nintendo are ever interested in a reboot.

it wouldnt look as good as the PC but i think it could still look pretty nice (frontier did great work with lostwinds 1 and 2 on the wii many moons ago).

a vita version would also be very neat. a galaxy to explore in your pocket. its a type of game that can work really well on handhelds also (suitable for a quick play and really long stints). the vita also has many options open to it in terms of controls. they would need to make sure its not too hard to make out objects in the distance on the vita screen though.

if it does happen on the PS4 and X1 itll be interesting to see how it works.

#24 Posted by milannoir (1571 posts) -

You can port that sort of game to any console, but it will become a turd. Gamepads suck too much for space sims.

#25 Posted by Wasdie (50651 posts) -

@milannoir said:

You can port that sort of game to any console, but it will become a turd. Gamepads suck too much for space sims.

What's your proof behind that statement? Even Chris Roberts prefers playing Star Citizen with a controller.

#26 Posted by Zen_Light (1639 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Wow the moderators here are annoying fanboys too I see. I bet if I posted a pic of a fat basement dwelling PC fan it would get deleted and I'd get suspended.

#27 Posted by poptart (6877 posts) -

@delta3074:

It was great... until I got Tribbled. In the end I jumped from the C64 to the PC version as it had filled in vector graphics (whoohoo) and saving was a whole lot easier/less time consuming.

Really looking forward to checking out the new Elite though : )

#28 Posted by lundy86_4 (44340 posts) -

This thread fails hard. It's not even announced lol.

#29 Edited by lundy86_4 (44340 posts) -

@Zen_Light said:

Wow the moderators here are annoying fanboys too I see. I bet if I posted a pic of a fat basement dwelling PC fan it would get deleted and I'd get suspended.

Are moderators not allowed to have a laugh? The new consoles are lacking in the games department ATM.

#30 Posted by Zen_Light (1639 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Zen_Light said:

Are moderators not allowed to have a laugh? The new consoles are lacking in the games department ATM.

They have power and perks that regular posters don't have. Therefor they should be more professional and responsible and set a better example.

#31 Posted by lundy86_4 (44340 posts) -

@Zen_Light said:

They have power and perks that regular posters don't have. Therefor they should be more professional and responsible and set a better example.

They shouldn't break rules, sure. You're being a bit of a mard-arse.

#32 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (28565 posts) -

@Zen_Light said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Was just a joke! We are regular posters too. As a PS4 owner I can attest there is not alot out or coming soon ...

"They have power and perks that regular posters don't have." Perks eh? Do tell? We're all volunteers who spend a good deal of our time moderating and receive no compensation, but a decent amount of abuse :P

#33 Posted by lawlessx (47198 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Link

you're hilarious sometimes..nothing was confirmed in that interview.

#34 Edited by pelvist (5246 posts) -

If it does end up on consoles I really hope it has cross platform multiplayer (with a mute option to mute the kids on XBOX).

#35 Posted by WallofTruth (2117 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

lolshitcup thread.

#36 Edited by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

Wait, I thought cows didn't want primarily PC games to go to the console?

#37 Posted by Jankarcop (10791 posts) -

Consolites begging for inferior ports, well w/ their gaming drought ofcourse.

#38 Posted by wis3boi (32011 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

lolshitcup thread.

#39 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11647 posts) -

Isn't that the interview when they show some interest but in no way confirm it? If so, isn't that grounds for a lock, since the thread is purposefully misleading?