Electronic Arts: worst videogame Publisher and Developer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Erick_Colletti
Member since 2011 • 38 Posts

By far Electronic Arts, especially their EA Sports division, is the worst videogame Publisher and Developer. I'm a hockey fan and I buy EA Sports' NHL games, not because they're good, but because I'm a hockey gamer and need something to play. I haven't bought one in 5 years! I'm actually still playing "NHL 09." I refuse to buy a game and support a company that makes a few cheesy changes and updates the rosters every 9 months. Also, most of the flaws return year after year. They don't even bother to add new cutscenes most of the time. David Littman is an awful Producer, and I have no idea how he still has his job. EA Sports' Developers are lazy and so out of touch with consumers. The same goes for Madden NFL. Even after 9 years, 2K Sports' "NFL 2K5" is still a better football game -- and it's for Xbox.

Do you agree EA needs to start producing or pack it up?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I agree you're full of crap

You haven't bought one in 7 years though you're playing NHL 09 that's 5 years at most

Also NHL and FIFA are some of the best sports games you can buy currently

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

You haven't bought one in 7 years though you're playing NHL 09 that's 5 years at most

True that!

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Erick_Colletti

@Jaysonguy said:

Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant 5 years and corrected it. I was counting since 07 originally.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I think the worst publisher has to go to Namco Bandai tbh.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I'm not really a fan of EA; but really, the WORST? Apparently you don't really understand what that means.

Say what you want about EA, but they happen to produce some pretty slick titles. They aren't without their fair share of problems mind you, but for the most part they can put out some decent stuff.

They have some pretty shifty practices, but every now and then they realize that they are screwing up and attempt some sort of course correction. They aren't the worst by a long shot. I'd put Ubisoft ahead of them any day of the week, and even Ubisoft can be ok when they want to.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

After they butchered Dead Space, Burnout and Medal of Honor I don't see the point buying any EA game for the foreseeable ever.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

I can't speak for the American sports but FIFA just goes from strength to strength.

I'm also wondering how you can the latest version is crap when you have not played it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't play sports games unless you count racing with NFS. As a publisher they are fine. The only developer i have a problem with is Capcom. The only publisher i have a problem with is Activision and that's because they treat their dev studios like crap.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

After they butchered Dead Space, Burnout and Medal of Honor I don't see the point buying any EA game for the foreseeable ever.

I thought Dead Space was a pretty decent series. It wasn't really scary but it had outstanding visuals and some pretty cool set pieces. I am a bit upset about Burnout/Criterion. I don't think they ruined Burnout so much as they just put it on a shelf to be forgotten in favor of Need For Speed (I called that one). Burnout Paradise was awesome and EA should be commended for allowing Criterion to go crazy for an entire year with free DLC. BP was one of my favorite coop experiences of the last gen.

As for Medal of Honor, yeah I agree. They ran that into the shithole.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I don't understand the vast EA hate... sure they've done some lame stuff but over all nope i don't get it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I just got the last NCAA game on XBL a few days ago and its really good compared to the last ones. I just wish they'd add an accelerated clock like Madden because I like playing 15 minute quarters. All their other sports games are absolute shit and have been for years. EA is generally decent but this year was horrible for them. So many bad/broken games and they've had to publicly issue at least 3 apologies for releasing broken games this year. They need to turn it around and rethink their entire online infrastructure because they are way behind in that area and they have a lot of really good franchises that are being ruined by shitty online.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

For me personally, as mentioned in a previous thread, wearing "I love new york t-shirts" at a Crysis 2 press event in a cynical attempt to hide the fact the images shown in the game look like images of 911 is one of the most dubious acts ever seen in the gaming industry. EA, of course. Aside from that Origins cynical (and arrogant) attempt to muscle in on steam was met with well deserved hate.

Do they make the worst games though? Well no, not really. Some of the games they put out are fairly decent. Activision by comparison put out much worse games. Are they the greedyest? Possibly. Ubisoft are pretty greedy and **** like as well.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

The only series I care about from them is Need For Speed, but it's been so hit or miss lately with it. But yeah, not a big fan of them tbh. Especially with BF4

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Wii U missed out on all these phenomenal platinum must have titles:

Battlefield 4.jpgMadden NFL 25 Next-Gen.jpegDead Space 3 PC game cover.jpgCrysis 3 cover.jpgFuseInsomniacGames.jpgArmyOfTwo3.jpg

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They published The Old Republic. I have nothing negative to say.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I wouldn't say they are the worst in terms of overall talent, but I think they are in it to drive profits as high as possible regardless of the product they put out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

ubisoft, they are like a poor mans version of activision. EA is just bland. Teen rated shooters is about as lame as you can get

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@RogueStatus28 said:

Wii U missed out on all these phenomenal platinum must have titles:

phew, Nintendo really dodged the bullet there,

ea is one of the worst publishers, let me list off examples....

they had ssx tricky which was basically gold on a disc, ssx3 was like an mtv cribs episode with famous skateboarders

def jam fight for ny was the pinnacle of branded fighting games, def jam icon somehow made mk vs dc playable

fight night round 4 once again, towers above other sports sims, anyone beyond fight night champion should be knocked out.

oh yeah, mass effect 3, dead space 3,

need for speed most wanted.

sim city and probably titanfall because ea hate games and love money so **** em

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Ubisoft for uplay is worse, lost at least 3o hours of AC4 because of that crap service, disables cload saving for it without telling anyone so that 100s lost their saves. They deserve to get pirated, pirates get better treatment than paying cosumers.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I think EA is a wonderful publisher. They publish some of my absolute favs.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Im afraid complaining about sports games making subtle changes with each edition just doesnt make sense. These games are ALL about the subtle changes. The games have limited scope to develop because the subject matter is the same sport year after year. The best you can hope for is a total overhaul of the game engine with new game/season modes and an updated roster. Where else are these sports games supposed to go exactly???

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

EA's backlog of being possibly the biggest dev and pub on both ends for XXX years is way to damn big Even now that crap out a must have game, and not with large gaps between the, let alone them making AAAAAAA's every other 3 days. Or publishing every other 2 days games to fill the void.

Trip Hawkins was stupid, he should have stayed and THEN did the console. Because EA has bigger brand name than 3DO, Granted, random upstart company never in the industry before filled with people not involved in the industry having 400+ games and estimated 5 million, and outselling most other U.S. consoles in japan, and not mistaken was the best selling console ever in Russia before the PS2 is pretty damn impressive.

Imagine if it was the EA interactive Multiplayer. EA would be different and AAAAAA's out the ass.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

The worst thing about EA recently is their awful 'IGNITE' engine. It makes people look cartoony. Compare the players in NBA Live using the Ignite engine on next gen consoles to players in NBA 2K14. The difference is night and day. The NBA 2K14 characters look natural, the IGNITE Live characters look plastic.

The Ignite engine is a bust and just the latest failure from the worst company in America.

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Erick_Colletti

@muffin2020 said:

I can't speak for the American sports but FIFA just goes from strength to strength.

I'm also wondering how you can the latest version is crap when you have not played it.

I research it, and every year for the last 5 years, I came to the same sad conclusion: EA Sports' NHL is not worth purchasing.

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Erick_Colletti

EA Sports sucks except FIFA.

EA Sports' Ignite game engine sucks.

EA Sports makes some good-to-great non-sports games, including The Sims, Need for Speed, Burnout, Army of Two...

Ubisoft does not suck. They make hits Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed...

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Erick_Colletti said:

EA Sports makes some good-to-great non-sports games, including The Sims, Need for Speed, Burnout, Army of Two...

Uh, EA sports does not make those.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Well FIFA is great (haven't played any NHL games this gen) but I'll be honest in saying that I don't own many EA games this past gen.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I am big sports guy. Played many, watch when I can. Hockey, football (NFL), and boxing are my favorites. I don't hate or call someone evil or bad for continuing to give people what they want. If people didn't want yearly releases, they wouldn't buy them. Its stupid imo, to get mad at a business for basically, doing business. Like nobody here ever spammed an easy win at something?

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

They are pretty bad, but definately not the worst. I still play quite some games of them though

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@Erick_Colletti said:

Ubisoft does not suck. They make hits Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed...

have you actually played this years NHL? its absolutely astounding and the amount of reworking that has went into the game is immense, no wonder 2k moved all their eggs into the NBA basket.

EA is like any other big pub, neither good nor bad but the industry and you would surely miss them no matter how much you wish them to dissapear, they are a necessary evil and even the self proclaimed EA haters will like at least one of their titles.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#33 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher: Thet didn't butcher burnout, they just stop putting new installments, not that is any better.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I like EA. I understand why some people are upset with them, but I'm not one of them. They have done me no wrong.

I only wish the NHL games would get rid of the stick controls. I don't like them. I wish the 2K hockey games were still around. I preferred their games a lot more.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

EA delivers lots of very entertaining and satisfying games.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

The dev teams that develop for EA are great, they make amazing games. On the other hand, EA as a publisher is one of the worst, they treat thier devs like crap.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

EA might not be the worst, but they are certainly my least favorite. I honestly don't think I have played an EA game that didn't feel like it was rushed or rehashed since Dragon Age: Origins.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

I think the worst publisher has to go to Namco Bandai tbh.

I somehow liked the way Namco Bandai handled Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. So I will disagree there.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

my last EA games is SSX ......... and it glitch ... lol

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@Telekill said:

I don't play sports games unless you count racing with NFS. As a publisher they are fine. The only developer i have a problem with is Capcom. The only publisher i have a problem with is Activision and that's because they treat their dev studios like crap.

EA may as well be the king of that.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Would The Old Republic be any worse if someone else published it? If your answer is no, then it's more like there's nothing positive to say about EA as well.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

EA are no worse than any other publisher I don't think.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Would The Old Republic be any worse if someone else published it? If your answer is no, then it's more like there's nothing positive to say about EA as well.

They seem to have done a good job with the game. It's fun and I'm thinking of subscribing in the new year (at least for a couple months). EA getting my money is rare. Getting my money for an MMORPG? Impossible.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Its funny to see how long people spent hating EA, but soon as they announce a new battlefront game and mirrors edge 2 people lose their shit and start shouting "TAKE MY MONEY". EA is an awful awful company not so much for their games but for their business ethics and practices.

I also have to throw Namco Bandai, Capcom, Nintendo, ubisoft, Bethesda and square enix in the mix also.

@Jaysonguy said:

They have some good games, but as a company EA is awful. You don't have to buy their current games to see they are a shit company because it isn't about the actual product, its about how they handle customers, their business practices and policies, and how they present themselves.

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Erick_Colletti

@razgriz_101 said:

@Erick_Colletti said:

have you actually played this years NHL? its absolutely astounding and the amount of reworking that has went into the game is immense, no wonder 2k moved all their eggs into the NBA basket.

EA is like any other big pub, neither good nor bad but the industry and you would surely miss them no matter how much you wish them to dissapear, they are a necessary evil and even the self proclaimed EA haters will like at least one of their titles.

No, but I've watched "NHL 14" videos. I'm just not impressed. New rosters, new equipment, a few new lame features, and some AI tweaks. 2K stopped making hockey games because they can't. Ever since the Xbox and PS2 days, NHL 2K has been a loser. It was great for Dreamcast. The 2K Sports' Artists are great at making football and basketball player models, but their hockey player models look really bad until "NHL 2K10." That doesn't make any sense. EA is either bad, okay, good, or great; they vary game to game. You're right. I don't want EA to die. I want them to stay, but only with the understanding that they must put things in their hockey and football games people actually want. The truth is EA is an industry bully with a money mint. If EA had class, they would've told the NFL "Sorry, we want competition, so we'll pass on your exclusive deal." That would've gained them a lot of respect points and kept lots of gamers happy.

Erick_Colletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Erick_Colletti

Another sad thing about EA is they actually have community managers that take consumer feedback...and the games STILL suck. The Developers are in the wrong line of work. That's the real problem with EA.