Eidos President: Xbox 720 to block used software

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by _Matt_ (9341 posts) -

"Microsoft's next Xbox will require an always-on internet connection and block pre-owned software, says Ian Livingstone."

Source (Gamespot)

Just a rumour? Or possibly true?

Personally I think this is a load of bogus rubbish, and very unlikely to be true, especially when half the World does not have a decent internet connection. What do you think System Warriors?

#2 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
old, numerous threads on it.
#3 Posted by _Matt_ (9341 posts) -

old, numerous threads on it.campzor

There were rumours, but this is the first the Eidos man has said anything isn't it?

#4 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"]old, numerous threads on it._Matt_

There were rumours, but this is the first the Eidos man has said anything isn't it?

no what i mean is the very exact thread has been made from the eidos guy
#5 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1330 posts) -

Yay go Microsoft! The developers will love it and come flocking. MS leading the way once again :cool:

#6 Posted by getyeryayasout (8378 posts) -
I'll save a ton of money this gen buying no systems. This gen blows goats.
#7 Posted by _Matt_ (9341 posts) -

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]old, numerous threads on it.campzor

oh, my bad, i couldn't see it on the first page and don't remember seeing it, so assumed it wasn't there.

#8 Posted by PAL360 (27242 posts) -

That's stupid. At least it makes my decisionn easier!

#9 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20498 posts) -

"Microsoft's next Xbox will require an always-on internet connection and block pre-owned software, says Ian Livingstone."

Source (Gamespot)

Personally I think this is a load of bogus rubbish, and very unlikely to be true, especially when half the World does not have a decent internet connection. What do you think System Warriors?

_Matt_
I think its false too but remember that the half of the world that doesnt have decent internet is the half that usually cant afford consoles lol. Sure consoles are sold in Africa and what not, but the percentage sold in those regions is drastically lower than in the US/EU. But I agree with u, I dont think MS would go that route cause its suicide if they do.
#10 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -
These rumors about the PS4 and 720 blocking used games are just that for now, rumors. That being said though, I'll be getting a Wii-U for sure if the PS4 and 720 block used games. My sons and I all share our console games, and I am not going to buy several copies of every console game that we want...
#11 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="_Matt_"]

_Matt_

oh, my bad, i couldn't see it on the first page and don't remember seeing it, so assumed it wasn't there.

i dont really care, as any thread which owns lems is a thread i can approve of ;)
#12 Posted by Duckyindiana (2288 posts) -
Thread title is wrong I will quote what he said With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it wont play on another," said Livingstone!! He states you SUPPOSEDLY, seems even he does not know.
#13 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -
I wonder if these rumors were all created by an anti-MS secret society because I swear there is not ONE positive rumor about the 720.
#14 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

I wonder if these rumors were all created by an anti-MS secret society because I swear there is not ONE positive rumor about the 720.Kaszilla
Well, it has a hard drive and Blu Ray, so that's positive at least.

#15 Posted by silversix_ (15837 posts) -
if they do this even the wiiu will sell more systems lol can you imagine that
#16 Posted by KungfuKitten (21401 posts) -
I wonder if these rumors were all created by an anti-MS secret society because I swear there is not ONE positive rumor about the 720.Kaszilla
Taste of their own medicine then :P It's interesting for sure.
#17 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -
"the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it wont play on another," said Livingstone!! He states you SUPPOSEDLY, seems even he does not know.Duckyindiana
If my sons and I can't swap discs between our consoles, I'll have no problem skipping over the console that implements a system that locks a disk to one console. I don't mind buying an extra copy of a PC game every now and then for my oldest son's PC, but we go through way too many console games to be buying 3 copies of every damn game...
#18 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.
#19 Posted by silversix_ (15837 posts) -

DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.kuraimen
If this happens i don't think there will be many lems left (just like sheep these days) so SW will die and cow domination continuation

#20 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -
DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.kuraimen
Nintendo would make quite the comeback in my house if Microsoft or Sony does this...
#21 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.silversix_

If this happens i don't think there will be many lems left (just like sheep these days) so SW will die and cow domination continuation

You underestimate the brainwashing lems got through. M$ already managed to make them pay for online and they defend it so they'll fall for this too.
#22 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

[QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]"the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it wont play on another," said Livingstone!! He states you SUPPOSEDLY, seems even he does not know.superclocked
If my sons and I can't swap discs between our consoles, I'll have no problem skipping over the console that implements a system that locks a disk to one console. I don't mind buying an extra copy of a PC game every now and then for my oldest son's PC, but we go through way too many console games to be buying 3 copies of every damn game...

Dude you should of gone PC a long time ago.

I just picked up Sim City, Bioshock Infinite, AND the new Tomb Raider from sales on Amazon and GMG for a total of $85 Vs the $180 that console gamers need to pay (well, if they ahd access to Sim City, which they don't).

On a single Steam sale you could have a nice library for yourself and your sons for a fraction fo the price, even taking used games on console into account. And in a couple of sales you probably would have saved twice whatever you spent on PC hardware, on video games alone.

Leave the retail, overpriced console game behind man. 

#23 Posted by thedork_knight (882 posts) -
does anyone actually read these posts, the eidos bloke didnt actually confirm it
#24 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Duckyindiana"]"the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it wont play on another," said Livingstone!! He states you SUPPOSEDLY, seems even he does not know.Kinthalis

Dude you should of gone PC a long time ago.

I just picked up Sim City, Bioshock Infinite, AND the new Tomb Raider from sales on Amazon and GMG for a total of $85 Vs the $180 that console gamers need to pay (well, if they ahd access to Sim City, which they don't).

On a single Steam sale you could have a nice library for yourself and your sons for a fraction fo the price, even taking used games on console into account. And in a couple of sales you probably would have saved twice whatever you spent on PC hardware, on video games alone.

Leave the retail, overpriced console game behind man. 

I do game on consoles too, but I'm a PC gamer first and foremost. Hell, I started PC gaming back when our x286 with 2MB of RAM was top of the line...
#25 Posted by lamprey263 (25292 posts) -
I don't buy the "always online" claim, though I think being online will be required for registering games, like gamers will not be able to play a game until it's registered. But once that game is registered it will be tied to both the user's online account and the console. From that point forward I think the games once registered will be allowed to play offline as long as it's being played on the console it is registered to, and all accounts will have access to it; but lets say people remove their HDD and put it in another console, in those cases I think always online will be required for the user that game is tied to, unless a license transfer takes place. Pretty much I imagine the digital rights to be like MS treats XBLA games already, only difference is that the game can be bought at retail or online. I don't really think it will be much different than how PC gaming works these days. That's just my guess of how it'll happen if it's well thought out, if they do indeed go "always" online then they're really asking for trouble.
#26 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

If true, f*ck that console.

#27 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

PAL360
Welcome to the high life. :cool:
#28 Posted by delta3074 (18770 posts) -
does anyone actually read these posts, the eidos bloke didnt actually confirm itthedork_knight
you know that according to cows, rumours, speculation, assumptions and forcasts= FACT,lol
#29 Posted by delta3074 (18770 posts) -
[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Pete-B

what, PC gaming?
#30 Posted by PAL360 (27242 posts) -

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Pete-B

Thanks, buddy, but i'm already there! PS4 and 360 have alot in common :twisted:

#31 Posted by MacBoomStick (1822 posts) -

Did his uncle tell him that?

#32 Posted by _Matt_ (9341 posts) -

[QUOTE="thedork_knight"]does anyone actually read these posts, the eidos bloke didnt actually confirm itdelta3074
you know that according to cows, rumours, speculation, assumptions and forcasts= FACT,lol

According to any fanboy group if it favours them. Though a lot people in this thread seem to agree with me that this is highly likely a load of rubbish.

#33 Posted by coasterguy65 (6237 posts) -

Lots of rumors. Of course this is from a developer so it is worrisome. Only time will tell I guess. The always on internet doesn't bother me as long as there is a way to play games if the Live service is down. I'm not going to accept another Diablo 3 type setup.

What worries me more though is the no used games rumor. Not because I buy very many, but because I want to ability to rent games to try them out, and to sell my games. If the Nextbox has the no used games restriction I won't be buying one.

Honestly though I don't expect MS to be stupid enough to try either scheme. 

#34 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -

How many times are you all gonna make this same thread?

#35 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

Source (Gamespot)

II_Seraphim_II

I think its false too but remember that the half of the world that doesnt have decent internet is the half that usually cant afford consoles lol. Sure consoles are sold in Africa and what not, but the percentage sold in those regions is drastically lower than in the US/EU. But I agree with u, I dont think MS would go that route cause its suicide if they do.

true, MS are greedy not stupid

#36 Posted by Bren128 (2353 posts) -

IF this is true , I hope it fails miserably. You know some people will buy it regardless, some of which who have no internet.

#37 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

Great move from MS, will help the industry a lot

#38 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1977 posts) -

You're not lying about that. They'll just get excited about teh profit. Btw,  what happened to your avatar and sig? 

#39 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I hope they do block used games.
#40 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1977 posts) -

[QUOTE="thedork_knight"]does anyone actually read these posts, the eidos bloke didnt actually confirm itdelta3074

Wake up,  this is coming from a developer. Why would he speculate this at all if MS wasn't heading in this direction. If MS wasn't, he would've shot this rumor down instead of all but confirming it. 

#41 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.NineTailedGoku

You're not lying about that. They'll just get excited about teh profit. Btw,  what happened to your avatar and sig? 

Some Mods stripped me and beat me up :cry: [spoiler] j/k well sort of :P. I was modded because of my sig (too big) but my avatar went away too for some strange reason. I'm too lazy to fix it. [/spoiler]
#42 Posted by sts106mat (20399 posts) -
[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.kuraimen

Some Mods stripped me and beat me up :cry: [spoiler] j/k well sort of :P. I was modded because of my sig (too big) but my avatar went away too for some strange reason. I'm too lazy to fix it. [/spoiler]

sony = buh buh buh we don know what to do about anything http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-on-ps4-pre-owned-we-ll-do-the-right-thing/0111458
#43 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -
[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]DAT innovation! Lems would be happy as long as M$ makes money at their expense.kuraimen

Probably a lem who got his jimmies rustled. :cool:
#44 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

Pete-B

Poor lem. He didn't know I look better naked :cool:
#45 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1977 posts) -

[QUOTE="NineTailedGoku"]

:lol: Ok,  I was just curious. That's a shame, sig was hilarious. 

#46 Posted by Shewgenja (10707 posts) -

Next gen is starting to look like a Sony bloodbath!

#47 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Pete-B"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Some Mods stripped me and beat me up :cry: [spoiler] j/k well sort of :P. I was modded because of my sig (too big) but my avatar went away too for some strange reason. I'm too lazy to fix it. [/spoiler]

Poor lem. He didn't know I look better naked :cool:

Dat nakedness. :cool:
#48 Posted by FinalFighters (1882 posts) -
i hope this turns out to be true. I Need a good laugh
#49 Posted by Shewgenja (10707 posts) -

I wonder if it ever occurs to these people that a lot of gamers sell used games to pay for new ones.

#50 Posted by RR360DD (13028 posts) -

"With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an Internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it wont play on another,"

"supposedly"

supposedly