EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no 2ndHand games, 50GB Bluray and new kinect

This topic is locked from further discussion.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

The lems have been owned

gaf link

Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsofts next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsofts next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xboxs recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the consoles hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsofts extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sonys solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsofts next console is more oppressive than Sonys equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sonys next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the companys PlayStation event on February 20.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

The lems have been owned

gaf link

[quote=""]Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsofts next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsofts next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xboxs recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the consoles hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsofts extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sonys solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsofts next console is more oppressive than Sonys equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sonys next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the companys PlayStation event on February 20.campzor

Question : How is it that 2 Cows post exactly the same post at nearly the same time on SW's?
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I have no idea if this is true or not but if it does indeed turn out to be true i wont be buyin an xbox, im not goin to be told what i can and cant do with somethin i paid for I.E. games and whether i want to sell them or not.

I would suggest taking this with a truck load of salt until we know different.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 campzor
[QUOTE="campzor"]

The lems have been owned

gaf link

[quote=""]Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsofts next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sonys next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the companys PlayStation event on February 20.dobzilian

Question : How is it that 2 Cows post exactly the same post at nearly the same time on SW's?

Because its Lem Hunting time?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
butthurt LoosingENDS if this is true Raged about D3 constant online connection required
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
[QUOTE="dobzilian"][QUOTE="campzor"]

The lems have been owned

gaf link

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sonys next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the companys PlayStation event on February 20.campzor

Because its Lem Hunting time?

Happy Hunting... lol
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts
This sounds incredibly accurate.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Yawn, doesn't effect me. Not buying any Console. Waiting for GTX 780.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

"Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function...  A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsofts next console..."

Xbox live gold takes even the singleplayer portion of the game as hostage.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 campzor

"Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function...  A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsofts next console..."

Nohtnym
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I've never seen the cows and lemmings so obsessed over rumors.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
"Microsofts next console will require an Internet connection in order to function" Well, Looks like M$ will fail this gen.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Inbound Lem defense force. ETA 30 seconds.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

If true this could be enough to tie two big horns on my head and yell MOOOOOoo

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Saaaweeetnesss...

funny-gif-Ed-ONeil-laughing.gif:P

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 campzor
cows now listening to Edge?sts106mat
dont shoot the messenger. Just reporting the "news" I dont believe it the next xbox will be always online... that is beyond pathetic.
zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Microsoft whatever you do don't you ever fvck up DirectX. And yeah it's about time we should have DirectX 12.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
If always Online is true LOL at consolites for having fun of Diablo 3.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

cows now listening to Edge?sts106mat

yeah, I saw the irony. :P

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

time to stick with PC or PS4 than! Now I will pass the next box 100% for you if this is true!

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Reminds me of this from mega64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlL09nriFfk&list=UUgc4xqIMDoiP4KOTFS21TJA&index=25

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

campzor

Seriously it is weird cows and their love for Kaz. There is no other fangroup that loves the president of the company of their console choice like cows. Seriously could you imagine lems having avatars or as many gifs of Bill Gates or any other Microsoft head guy the way cows do or Nintendo fans having Reggie things. Hell even look how they were with Kevin Butler. Sony fanboys and their obsession with not Playstation but Sony itself is just weird.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I've had a feeling since the U launched that the Kinextbox 8 and PS4 are going to be huge disappointments. Rumors are starting to show me I may be correct.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
The way things have been going I've little doubt that this will happen. If it does....so long MS, it was fun while it lasted. I'll be a Sony/Nintendo/PC gamer only. If Sony does it, then Nintendo and PC only, also getting heavily into retro. There's really no exclusives MS has that I can't live without. Missing Forza would suck, but oh well. GT would suffice. If MS does this and Sony doesn't, they are going to get decimated. I'll also be interested to see the outcry from places such as Gamefly and Gamestop, and especially the announcement and reaction at E3.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]cows now listening to Edge?HalcyonScarlet

A lot of the PS4 rumours came from Edge :?

Doesn't sound good. Either both companies block used games or neither of them.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

I wouldn't go near that.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

CanYouDiglt

Seriously it is weird cows and their love for Kaz. There is no other fangroup that loves the president of the company of their console choice like cows. Seriously could you imagine lems having avatars or as many gifs of Bill Gates or any other Microsoft head guy the way cows do or Nintendo fans having Reggie things. Hell even look how they were with Kevin Butler. Cows are their obsession with not Playstation but Sony itself is just weird.

well the reason why lems dont (even though they used to) and why sheep dont is because their presidents sucks. Kaz is cool. Bill gates is a nerd and iwata has a lame hair cut... whats to love?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
If true, then I don't see this succeeding. Also campzor, you realize Sony isn't safe from these rumors either, right?
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="campzor"]

Seriously it is weird cows and their love for Kaz. There is no other fangroup that loves the president of the company of their console choice like cows. Seriously could you imagine lems having avatars or as many gifs of Bill Gates or any other Microsoft head guy the way cows do or Nintendo fans having Reggie things. Hell even look how they were with Kevin Butler. Cows are their obsession with not Playstation but Sony itself is just weird.

well the reason why lems dont (even though they used to) and why sheep dont is because their presidents sucks. Kaz is cool. Bill gates is a nerd and iwata has a lame hair cut... whats to love?

Ya seriously you did not just help what I said. The way you feel about a ceo of a company just because you like a console they make is weird. Face it you are not a Playstation fan you are a Sony fan. You are a fan of a company.
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

If this is true, Sony better not copy it or no next-gan consoles for me.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

It's always online? If that's the case count me out for buying this and the fact that they remove used game usage.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 campzor
@ nintendoboy16 - yes i know, but if the vita is any indication.. it shouldnt be happening. @CanYouDigIt - Just having some fun dude. I dont have "feelings" for a CEO, I just like using the gifs with them as they are humorous.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

sts106mat

A lot of the PS4 rumours came from Edge :?

majority of cows, hate Edge, think they are hugely biased towards MS and a waste of everyones time.....

The majority of cows isn't the TC, one single forum member is the TC. lol.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I wouldn't go near that.

Thefatness16
Sad thing is, I think many people would.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CanYouDiglt
[QUOTE="campzor"] @CanYouDigIt - Just having some fun dude. I dont have "feelings" for a CEO, I just like using the gifs with them as they are humorous.

You may not but many on here do and I always just found that just weird as hell. Even though I game on a few systems the 360 is the one I enjoyed the most but that does not mean I love Microsoft like how many on here love Sony. Sony has created a weird cult.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
If true, then I won't buy the nextbox
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]cows now listening to Edge?campzor
dont shoot the messenger. Just reporting the "news" I dont believe it the next xbox will be always online... that is beyond pathetic.

It didnt say you need to always be online to play single player portions of its games. It says an internet connection will be required. Most likely because games will need to be unlocked and "activated" online and every game will probably come with activation keys next gen, just like the PS4 is rumored to be doing.

Personally I dont have a problem with this on either platform, because it also means every game will finally have TRUE full game installs.  That, we will always be able to redownload our games.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
The only point that really bothers me is the always online thing. I doubt it is true though. They would be shooting themselves in the foot
Seriously it is weird cows and their love for Kaz. There is no other fangroup that loves the president of the company of their console choice like cows. Seriously could you imagine lems having avatars or as many gifs of Bill Gates or any other Microsoft head guy the way cows do or Nintendo fans having Reggie things. Hell even look how they were with Kevin Butler. Sony fanboys and their obsession with not Playstation but Sony itself is just weird.CanYouDiglt
1) It is a joke that was born in Neogaf 2) Reggie was actually the first one to have this kind of gifs. 3) Lol at thinking about Ballmer gifs.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="sts106mat"]cows now listening to Edge?StrongDeadlift

It didnt say you need to always be online to play single player portions of its games. It says an internet connection will be required. Most likely because games will need to be unlocked and "activated" online and every game will probably come with activation keys next gen, just like the PS4 is rumored to be doing.

Personally I dont have a problem with this on either platform, because it also means every game will finally have TRUE full game installs.  That, we will always be able to redownload our games.

Wasn't that the reason console users use to discredit Steam? Have fun only having licenses for your games.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Ouch, everything are negative apart from 50GB Blu-ray.

Sorry lems...

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

If any console uses an always online DRM, I will simply not buy it.

That's where I draw the line.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"] @CanYouDigIt - Just having some fun dude. I dont have "feelings" for a CEO, I just like using the gifs with them as they are humorous.CanYouDiglt
You may not but many on here do and I always just found that just weird as hell. Even though I game on a few systems the 360 is the one I enjoyed the most but that does not mean I love Microsoft like how many on here love Sony. Sony has created a weird cult.

Agreed, It's been bothering me and it's quite embarrassing, this cult of personality the young heads full of mush seem dangerously tied to especially when it comes to much, much more important things than VG and having to do with world affairs where all that matters is that coolness of teh, cult of personality, flavor of the week. :?

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Can someone help me understand this.

I'm assuming to play a game you need to activate it with a one time code which ties the game to your account. If you get a used copy, you have to purchase this code in order for the game to work.

Is that right?