EDGE: Mario Kart 8 gets a 9/10

• 73 results
#1 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27676 posts) -

Source: CVG

"Even 2011's effervescent 3DS outing, Mario Kart 7, feels somewhat lifeless by comparison.The new HD visuals are gorgeous, but Nintendo has also built on 7's neatly interlaced mechanics and introduced a nuanced handling model to create the greatest Mario Kart yet."

"The Mario Kart series' battle arenas were designed to funnel players into each other, but now you'll spend long stretches of time without even catching sight of a potential target as you trek round the circuit."

"But even this isn't enough to detract from an otherwise-joyous follow-up to the series' excellent 3DS outing. That it offers as much of its own innovation again speaks volumes; Mario Kart 8 is as essential a purchase as Super Mario 3D World."

The full review is in both the print and digital versions of the magazine, but it's the first review score released.

#2 Edited by Heil68 (46421 posts) -

Good score. What is selling me is the free game you get with purchase. I have no doubt this will be the best version to date, but when you have the Wii version and the 3DS version, those are still fun to play.

#3 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5992 posts) -

Of course MK7 should feel lifeless.

#4 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11560 posts) -

Can't wait for this... Anyone know when the GS review goes up?

#5 Edited by Kjranu (1221 posts) -

Well, I think this game will be released with rave reviews. No doubts about it.

#6 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4236 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Good score. What is selling me is the free game you get with purchase. I have no doubt this will be the best version to date, but when you have the Wii version and the 3DS version, those are still fun to play.

Agreed. For me the added game is just a bonus though. I was getting this regardless.

#7 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3170 posts) -

IT HAS BEGAN

#8 Edited by Cloud_imperium (5329 posts) -

Great news .

#9 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5992 posts) -

"follow-up to the series' excellent 3DS outing." LOL.

#10 Edited by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

It's going to be received well by most reviewers. My only question is, will it bump the sales for a long period of time.

#11 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9727 posts) -

The game doesn't come out for almost another two weeks (May 29th in Japan, to be exact) and reviews are already being posted for it? How can they even critique the online mode for it if no one else has the game?

#12 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27676 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

The game doesn't come out for almost another two weeks (May 29th in Japan, to be exact) and reviews are already being posted for it? How can they even critique the online mode for it if no one else has the game?

Other journalists have the game? EDGE probably has more than one copy in order to try it?

#13 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5992 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

Other journalists have the game? EDGE probably has more than one copy in order to try it?

Paid review! :P

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (60225 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

May 15

@Demonjoe93 said:

Print publications get early embargo dates. Online modes are populated by hundreds of other journalists worldwide playing the game.

#15 Edited by princeofshapeir (14912 posts) -

I really want to buy a Wii U and get in on that free game with MK8. And here I was thinking I could wait until SSB4

#16 Posted by charizard1605 (60225 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

I really want to buy a Wii U and get in on that free game with MK8. And here I was thinking I could wait until SSB4

Technically, you could get Mario Kart 8 and the free game without buying the Wii U until later, so if you are tight on funds, I suggest doing that instead :)

#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (11894 posts) -

My friends, I called this. I, specifically me, called this. By saying this would happen. Me. Due to being right.

All the Nintendo haters, eat it suckers. eat it. Masterpiece.

#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (30522 posts) -

6.4 GS review confirmed.

#19 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34230 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

6.4 GS review confirmed.

I'd find it more hilarious if the game scored an 8.0 (though I'm thinking the game will score higher than that)

#20 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27676 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, I called this. I, specifically me, called this. By saying this would happen. Me. Due to being right.

Ugh...

#21 Posted by bobbetybob (19296 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

Yeah the free game is the cherry on top of the delicious ice cream sundae that is Mario Kart 8

#22 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18257 posts) -

Mario Kart 8...oh yeah baby.

#23 Posted by inb4uall (6108 posts) -

It don't care what reviews are I'm getting it day one regardless. Gameshit will probably low ball the game for hits. Not like I take this sites reviewers seriously anymore though.

#24 Posted by Slashkice (13543 posts) -

They were similarly enthusiastic about MK7 so the review isn't really selling me on the game. The bundle is still tempting though.

#25 Posted by Blabadon (27987 posts) -

Mario Kart 7 got the same praise and it was weaker than its predecessor.

#26 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -

Same people that gave MK wii a 6? hmmmmm.

#27 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9727 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

Well, that makes more sense then as long as there are plenty of other people playing it online.

#28 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3692 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

Mario Kart Wii was garbage. The worst since Mario Kart 64. And because of breaking Wii's I've had to unlock all the characters multiple times so I've spent plenty of time with the game.

#29 Posted by kuu2 (7783 posts) -

Isn't Edge notoriously tough on games????

If so that is a great score from them.

#30 Posted by starwolf474 (930 posts) -

I think this is going to be the best Mario Kart ever...for the racing part, but I'm really disappointed that for the 3rd time in a row on consoles, it looks like Nintendo found a new way to screw up battle mode. They thankfully brought back free-for-all balloon battle and survival rules, but then screw it up by using tracks for battle mode instead of arenas.

I hope that Nintendo will at least release some retro battle arenas as DLC. Just give me Block Fort and Double Deck and I'll be happy. If not, it looks like Mario Kart 64 will have to continue being my go-to Mario Kart for battle mode for at least another 5 years until the next Mario Kart where, if the trend continues, Nintendo will most likely fix their mistake of not having battle arenas but simultaneously find a new way to screw up battle mode for a fourth time.

#31 Posted by allthatdown (1229 posts) -

Carolyn Petit will review it and criticize it because all of the female characters in the game enforce gender sterotypes by driving pink karts.

I can see it coming.

#32 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9727 posts) -

@allthatdown said:

Carolyn Petit will review it and criticize it because all of the female characters in the game enforce gender sterotypes by driving pink karts.

I can see it coming.

I can actually see her doing that, lol.

#33 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5772 posts) -

It looks good but Nintendo dropped the ball when they priced the bundle at $330.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (60225 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

It looks good but Nintendo dropped the ball when they priced the bundle at $330.

I think a really neat option is to just get the Wii U from Nintendo's online store for $200, and get the game separately for $60.

#35 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

NintendoLife confirmed the Blue Shell limited edition will be available at the Nintendo World Store in NY.

#36 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2712 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

@DaBrainz said:

Mario Kart Wii was garbage. The worst since Mario Kart 64. And because of breaking Wii's I've had to unlock all the characters multiple times so I've spent plenty of time with the game.

Do people just leave their consoles on for days at a time? How do so many people's Wii's break? I've literally never had a Nintendo console break on me. Those things are practically indestructible.

#37 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27676 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

It don't care what reviews are I'm getting it day one regardless. Gameshit will probably low ball the game for hits. Not like I take this sites reviewers seriously anymore though.

After what happened with DK, I wouldn't be surprised.

#38 Posted by lamprey263 (24976 posts) -

Pre-order Mario Kart 8 and get a free Club-Nintendo download... what?! But it's Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Super Mario/Luigi U? Dangit, I already got those. Good deal for others though.

#39 Edited by Sollet (7470 posts) -

I bet it'll score 8.0 here.

#40 Posted by MirkoS77 (8003 posts) -

Never been too much into the Kart series as its enjoyment to me has always been contingent upon multiplayer, but all's the better if it's good. May pick it up at some point.

#41 Edited by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2124 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Pre-order Mario Kart 8 and get a free Club-Nintendo download... what?! But it's Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Super Mario/Luigi U? Dangit, I already got those. Good deal for others though.

Sell the code on ebay.

#42 Edited by Gue1 (11005 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@inb4uall said:

dk got plenty of 8's, that's why its metacritic score's in the low 80's.

@kuu2 said:

only when it comes to sony exclusives.

#43 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18257 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

@DaBrainz said:

Do people just leave their consoles on for days at a time? How do so many people's Wii's break? I've literally never had a Nintendo console break on me. Those things are practically indestructible.

Wii's have survived so many damage tests online. I call BS on this. Nintendo has the MOST reliable hardware on the planet.

#44 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7754 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@inb4uall said:

DK didn't get plenty of 6's, though.

#45 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9033 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

We're not friends, we're enemies.

#46 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9255 posts) -

Hopefully Mario Kart 8 is a lot better than 7. What a disappointment that game was...

#47 Edited by Priapus10101 (117 posts) -

As a WiiU owner, buying MK8 is literally a no-brainer as not only do you get a good game, you also get a free game of your choice (Pikmin 3 here I come). The only question is whether this title and 'bundle' incentive will convince the masses to buy a Wii U.

#48 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27676 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@inb4uall said:

@kuu2 said:

Inb4uall and I were obviously talking about GS' review of Tropical Freeze... :|

EDGE is also pretty hard on several other developers/publishers too. Not just Sony. Even Nintendo has gotten this (LEGO City with TT games).

#49 Posted by kuu2 (7783 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@inb4uall said:

@kuu2 said:

Man Cows are so butt hurt. Everything that comes out of their mouth is 'woe is me', even though they are selling gangbusters.

#50 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17442 posts) -

Along what I expected.

This will be the best Mario Kart ever and one of the best games of this year.

@charizard1605 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

May 15

I was going to say this review is early. But the gamespot review is also early. Isn't this game launching 15 days after that ?