EDGE Magazine: Microsoft has the edge

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-power-of-the-crowd-how-critical-and-consumer-feedback-made-xbox-one-a-contender-again/

"Here, right now, Microsoft has an edge. The £80 price disparity between the two consoles will be a decision maker for many, but for others, Microsoft’s exclusives are more convincing than anything Sony has shown on PS4 to date. Killzone is no Halo; DriveClub, now delayed, never looked like measuring up to Forza; and Dead Rising 3 now looks like a smarter bet for open-world mayhem than Second Son.

Even a second-tier title like Ryse makes a stronger case for its host hardware’s graphical capabilities, at least, than anything set for PS4’s launch day"

#2 Edited by 35cent (892 posts) -

Isn't this old?

Edit: Never mind, it was posted today.

#3 Edited by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

@35cent said:

Isn't this old?

Full, final article just went live on their site I think. Before it was just some choice quotes.

#4 Posted by lazerface216 (7495 posts) -

ummmm....i thought M$ fans didn't care about exclusives? remember? multiplats is where it's at?

#5 Posted by Chutebox (36675 posts) -

Seems short sighted, but no biggie. Opinions vary

#6 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Garbage article.

Infamous >>>>>>> Dead Rising

How the hell will they say Killzone is no Halo but then proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo which sells even better than Halo? £80 is definitely a big deal to most people. No one is going to spend an extra £80 to buy a weaker console no matter how you look at it, and the preorder numbers in UK already reflect this. Sony is way ahead of MS in UK and EU preorders.

Also if this gen is any indication (PS3 still receiving AAAs while 360 is dead) Sony will destroy MS in exclusive games so the whole better exclusives at launch argument is moot.

#7 Edited by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

A console without exclusives will fail. M$ goes after the bro crowd while Sony focuses on pumping out unique exclusives for the PS brand.

#8 Edited by TheFadeForever (1700 posts) -

meh Microsoft should have made the kinect optional and lowered the price since first announcing the xbox one

#9 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

For me, yeah, Xbox One does have a slight edge over PS4. But that's because of the launch exclusives available day one, and the launch titles announced into Q1 2014.

I see myself getting both PS4 and XB1 over the gen, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get my first one until Christmas 2014 and by then the tables could have turned.

#10 Posted by Shewgenja (8489 posts) -

A more expensive console with less power and fewer announced titles has the edge.. Riiiiiiiiiight.

How much did MS pay for this article?

#11 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

A more expensive console with less power and fewer announced titles has the edge.. Riiiiiiiiiight.

How much did MS pay for this article?

Indeed. Thread title should say "Microsoft has EDGE in their pockets".

#12 Posted by 35cent (892 posts) -

@35cent said:

Isn't this old?

Full, final article just went live on their site I think. Before it was just some choice quotes.

You're right, most of the article wasn't there before.

On topic: I agree with the article. I think the Xbox One definitely has the edge over the PS4 in terms of games so far.

#13 Posted by Whiteknight19 (1303 posts) -

I think the person that wrote the artical is a xbone fanboy hmm ps4 might have alot of indies But them including the games gives ps4 a distinct advantage and to say ryse has better graphics then anythink ps4 has I believe killzone has the advantage in graphics

#14 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Cows now hate edge. And lol at cows talking about their indies lol get some games olease

#15 Posted by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

The article is riddled with holes. DR3, Infamous comparison was comical, the way the bigged up Ryse and ignored Killzone's graphics is obvious bait. That paragraph is written for clicks alone.

#16 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

lol Edge magazine.

#17 Posted by always_explicit (2716 posts) -

Garbage article.

Infamous >>>>>>> Dead Rising

How the hell will they say Killzone is no Halo but then proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo which sells even better than Halo? £80 is definitely a big deal to most people. No one is going to spend an extra £80 to buy a weaker console no matter how you look at it, and the preorder numbers in UK already reflect this. Sony is way ahead of MS in UK and EU preorders.

Also if this gen is any indication (PS3 still receiving AAAs while 360 is dead) Sony will destroy MS in exclusive games so the whole better exclusives at launch argument is moot.

£80 is not a major investment considering this generation was nearly ten years long. Id rather spend extra money and get an xbox.

#18 Posted by EG101 (857 posts) -

Never expected known Sony Fanboy Magazine Edge to admit the XB1 has a much better launch than the PS4. Guess its too obvious to anyone with a brain.

I remember that Edge cover that went something like this: your next console.... the PS4.

#19 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@always_explicit: It's a major investment when you consider its context. Spending extra £80 for weaker hardware is a solid investment, and if you're going for the long run Sony has already proven they can deliver AAA far more consistently and longer than MS can (see PS3 and 360 current situation).

#20 Posted by Basinboy (11060 posts) -

So, it's basically an "exclusives are what matter" argument?

#21 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8376 posts) -

Did Edge went full-on bipolar? A couple of months ago they were boasting about how MICROSOFT AND XBOX ONE IS DOOMED AND SONY IS FULL OF WIN!!!

Seriously, what happened?

#22 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Did Edge went full-on bipolar? A couple of months ago they were boasting about how MICROSOFT AND XBOX ONE IS DOOMED AND SONY IS FULL OF WIN!!!

Seriously, what happened?

There is your answer.

#23 Posted by Heil68 (43508 posts) -

#24 Posted by EG101 (857 posts) -

@always_explicit: It's a major investment when you consider its context. Spending extra £80 for weaker hardware is a solid investment, and if you're going for the long run Sony has already proven they can deliver AAA far more consistently and longer than MS can (see PS3 and 360 current situation).

It is an extra $100 but the XB1 does come with the Kinect 2.0 which actually adds value for many people. The Kinect 2.0 may not have ANY value to you but there are many people looking forward to the UI, Snap features, NFL deal and voice control of other video equipment. So it not an apples to apples comparison because there are a quite a few unique features to the XB1. Not saying the XB1 is better than the PS4 just stating that there are people who would prefer to have what the XB1 is offering.

#25 Posted by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

I will accept all this BS except for one thing .... DR > Second Son !!!

Seriously !!!!

#26 Edited by HadOne2Many (1255 posts) -

Edge is a joke, click bait in magazine form.

Also @I_can_haz

...proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo...

Can you blame anyone for forgetting about GT? A next gen Gt will be out in "year or two" right? Not having a first party high profile racing game to launch the console is a mistake.

#27 Edited by tormentos (17162 posts) -

@35cent said:

Isn't this old?

Edit: Never mind, it was posted today.

Yep i think they remade it,like DF did with the xbox one architect interview...

#28 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@EG101: Obviously there will always be people that see the value in paying $100 extra for Kinect even if the rest of the hardware has to be downgraded. Unfortunately for MS not many of those people exist hence MS trying to tell people that they Kinect can be disconnected and won't be required to play games.

#29 Posted by BranKetra (48192 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

There really is not anything to say. This issue speaks for itself.

#30 Posted by Syn_Valence (1348 posts) -

Also @I_can_haz

@I_can_haz said:

...proceed to compare Forza to DriveClub like Driveclub is Sony's major racing title? Did they suddenly forget Gran Turismo...

Can you blame anyone for forgetting about GT? A next gen Gt will be out in "year or two" right? Not having a first party high profile racing game to launch the console is a mistake.

Actually not having a exclusive shooter is a bigger mistake

#31 Posted by Giancar (19050 posts) -

An edge =/= the edge

I agree with the article regarding the launch lineup. I am not buying a PS4 for the launch lineup neither.

#32 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Also @I_can_haz

@I_can_haz said:

Yea it's a mistake but no bigger than MS not launching with a high profile FPS at launch. You don't release your biggest guns at launch unless you're Nintendo. The reduced userbase practically guarantees they will not sell as well as they should.

#33 Posted by Suppaman100 (3779 posts) -

Why oh why does Edge publish controversial articles?

It's all about viewers and ad money. Doesn't help the credebility of Edge though.

#34 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

even the well known ps3 supporter edge magazine is posting this now. it's really not looking good for sony. :(

#35 Posted by Sushiglutton (5226 posts) -

Focusing that much on the launchlineup is dumb for obvious reasons. Besides how did Dead Rising suddenly transform from garbage franchise into something people hype? Gameplay I have seen looked tedious as hell.

#36 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Well, what does Sony expect?

They don't focus on providing value with their console. No good games, no cool features, no next-gen control method.

Just Killzone.......and Knack.

Sony is trying to sell a $400 paper weight in an age when everyone is going paperless.

#37 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@treedoor: You make it sound like the Xbone is full of quality exclusives. Other than Forza 5 the XB1 launch lineup is terrible to say the least. Both Ryse and DR3 look mediocre. It can be argued that the XB1 is just as much of a paper weight as the PS4 is albeit a $500 one.

#38 Posted by sebbi11 (1190 posts) -

Damn, its been a good week for the bone.

#39 Posted by navyguy21 (12750 posts) -

LOL, cows will hate them now.............even though they loved them when they had PS4 on the cover :P

We should all remember not to trust anything they say now, they will say (or review) anything to get hits just about.

#40 Posted by Bigboi500 (29373 posts) -
#41 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -
#42 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8713 posts) -

I have to admit, I do like the X1 launch line up better. That being said, I have less interest in the console overall so the PS4 will still be my first purchase.

#43 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9469 posts) -

People fail to realize that the actual launch of the console isn't always that important. What's important is the launch window. I don't give a **** what your going to be playing on Day One. I care about what your going to be playing 6 months from launch. You spent $400/$500 on a new console; you don't want to be playing the same games. The Xbox One does have a better launch line up but guess what, the PS4 has more launch window games and Infamous Second Son is coming out in February with DriveClub probably following up shortly after that. The next big post-launch Xbox One game is Titanfall yet the game doesn't even have a release date. People look at exclusives like their the only games at launch but I guarantee you most people will be playing multiplats like COD, BF, FIFA, Madden etc. People buy a console at launch for many different reasons. Exclusives are just one part of that equation.

#44 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6169 posts) -

MS getting all the praise and Sony getting bashed on all fronts. Role reversal at its finest.

#45 Edited by TheEroica (13327 posts) -

People spent so much time hating it, they're finally starting to see those exclusives and some promise in it... Gonna make this gen a mono E mono battle all gen long... That is soooo good for gamers.

#46 Edited by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1995 posts) -

Basing a consoles success or failure on launch titles is just moronic. If this was the case, the PS3 would have been DOA and it wound up being a very good system. I have been a XBOX and XBOX 360 fan for years, but I have made the switch to the PS4 simply because I am tired of Halo, Gears of War and Fable. I want to play Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, Deep Down, Killzone Shadow Fall, Drive Club and of course what ever Naughty Dog comes out with. The PS4 is technologically superior to the XBOX ONE, the DS4 has bested the X1's controller and in all likelihood, multiplats will be superior on the PS4. Being $100 less than the XBOX ONE doesn't hurt either.

#47 Edited by Douevenlift_bro (5035 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Well there goes Edge lol.

DR3 compared to ISS... really... REALLY? DR3 could be comfortably done on 360. Ryse, while good looking isn't doing 1/10th of the graphical marvels KZ:SF is. On top of that its 900P/30FPS and 3ft by 3ft combat space

#48 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5035 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Well, what does Sony expect?

They don't focus on providing value with their console. No good games, no cool features, no next-gen control method.

Just Killzone.......and Knack.

Sony is trying to sell a $400 paper weight in an age when everyone is going paperless.

All in all you forgot to mention PS4 has more cool gaming features, motion control, and KZ is a much more robust launch title than anything X1 offers, is cheaper, runs quieter, is more powerful, has a better controller etc

Hey don't believe it? Check Amazon. Facts >> Money hats

#49 Posted by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

All X1 games are bound to flop lol

#50 Posted by Gatman32 (429 posts) -

All X1 games are bound to flop lol

Great speculation, you should apply for a journalism position!