EDGE: Daring and diversity seal confident PS4 victory!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

Link:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/sonys-e3-2014-press-conference-greater-daring-and-diversity-seal-another-confident-ps4-victory/

Story:

EDGE: SONY’s E3 2014: Greater daring and diversity seal confident PS4 victory

PlayStation continues to outstrip Xbox at every turn this generation. Sony’s showcase had more surprises, more impressive game demos and far greater diversity than Microsoft’s briefing. Sony also had a wider range of things to talk about: there was PlayStation TV, Vita, PS Plus, Project Morpheus and the same kind of services Microsoft once focused on too much, but above all, the games therein simply looked better and more daring. This was a high pressure, high stakes showcase, and yet Sony’s executives were clearly brimming with the kind of easy confidence and good humour that comes with a significant lead in the console race, a superior games line-up and a richer ecosystem.

Bungie’s Destiny led the way. A new hardware bundle complete with a white PS4 plus alpha and beta access for existing PS4 owners show the strength and extent of its partnership with Activision’s expensively-constructed next big thing. It’s an important deal for Sony, and not just because it feels like Xbox mainstay and Halo creator Bungie has somehow ‘switched sides’. It felt as if Sony was parking its tanks on Xbox’s lawn and declaring itself the ‘shooter box’ of choice this generation, countering Microsoft’s well-established Call Of Duty partnership with a wider variety of its own ‘better on PS4’ shooters. Later, a spectacular Far Cry 4 demo was backed up with the news that even PS4 owners who hadn’t bought the game could jump into the game’s co-op; Sony also had Battlefield Hardline in its armoury, with PS4 players able to sign up for its beta now.

It all fed into what Andrew House talked about at the show’s outset, that his goal was to ensure that the biggest multiplatform games would look better and have exclusive content on PS4. Often, they’ll come to PlayStation first; there was a surprise remastering of Grim Fandango, for example, and all of Devolver Digital’s mouthwatering indie offerings – including Hotline Miami 2, Broforce and The Talos Principle – will debut on Sony consoles. Batman: Arkham Knight will have exclusive scarecrow missions on PS4, and those intending to pick up the newly ’next-gen’ GTAV will be able to transfer their online profile and progress to PS4 from PS3 and even Xbox 360. And let’s not forget No Man’s Sky, a game of stunning ambition which continues to dazzle with every new sighting. It was difficult to tell whether Hello Games’ Sean Murray wanted to cry or vomit (maybe both?) as he took the stage to confirm that it’ll arrive first on PlayStation.

This assortment of incentives added up to a rounder, more diverse offering than we saw at Microsoft’s briefing several hours previous, and was also joined by meaty, old-fashioned exclusives, from both firstparty and thirdparty studios. It was difficult to tell where the cutscenes and live play in The Order 1886 began and ended, such was its terrifying fidelity. Hidetaka Miyazaki’s Project Beast is now officially Bloodborne, a PS4 exclusive for 2015, with Suda51 striking the same deal and targeting the same launch window for his latest project, Let It Die.

It was impossible not to raise a smile at LittleBigPlanet 3’s unveiling, though it was interesting to note that the series is now being helmed by Sumo Digital, not Media Molecule. Uncharted 4’s presence at the finale of the Sony briefing was just as expected as Crackdown’s appearance at the end of Microsoft’s, and its presence was just as welcome. Though like so many of the game announcements we’ve seen over the course of the last 24 hours, it was a CGI trailer for a game not to be released until 2015.

Other, more offbeat surprises added to the mix. In place of the new Thatgamecompany project, we got Entwined and Abzu – the former got a good chunk of time on stage and went live on PSN as the conference unfolded, a game created by a small, young team whose gently abstract whimsy and soothing soundtrack might be described as Rez meets Flower. Giant Squid, a developer with more explicit ties to the Journey developer, was founded by that game’s art director and composer; its debut Abzu’s sedate, dreamy underwater adventuring signals another credible indie first on PS4.

Our first reference to “raising the bar” arrived a little earlier during this mammoth, overlong conference. It was in reference to Infamous Second Son’s performance capture and lead into the first sighting of standalone DLC for that game in the form of First Light, coming in August. Later, Dead Island 2’s bro-friendly, taste-free unveiling was short on detail but its trailer had some of the sunny cartoon exuberance of Xbox One’s Sunset Overdrive, without its class; a fun promo for Paradox Interactive’s Magicka 2 provided a few laughs but will generate even fewer headlines, and a brief mention for Project Morpheus, which will host two new demos plus Eve Valkyrie on the show floor, reminded us that Sony is continuing to gaze into one of our medium’s potential futures with interest.

SCEA president and CEO Shawn Layden, a newcomer to the Sony press conference circuit, was lumbered with the less exciting ‘platforms and services’ stuff. 95 per cent of PS4s are online, he said, and the Share button continues to be an important part of of the platform – the ability to upload PS4 capture straight to YouTube is coming, and more bells and whistles on Sony’s Share Factory and Playroom apps will add to its video sharing functionality. A section on forthcoming free to play games was pitched as if Sony itself had invented the model, while PlayStation Now’s arrival in the US and Canada on July 31 as open beta on PS4 was confirmed, as was its later rollout on PS3 and Vita. Selected Sony smart TVs would also host the service, but details of rentals and subscriptions remained elusive. Layden said that over 100 Vita games were in development but didn’t show any of them off, though there was confirmation that Minecraft would be arriving on Vita soon.

The bigger news was the rebranding and western launch of PS Vita TV, now christened with the rather snappier moniker PlayStation TV. It’ll be $99 and released in autumn in the US and across Europe, with a slightly pricier $139 bundle including a Dualshock pad and a free download of the LEGO Movie Videogame. The latter package is indicative of Sony’s target market with this lower-end, more casual device, which will also play host to its PlayStation Now service and a slew of Vita games and other more bitesize downloadable titles.

A grim, gory and wholly unnecessary showing of Mortal Kombat X was a strange move, and an overlong discussion of PlayStation’s efforts in making original TV and movies introduced Powers, an adaptation of a comic series, and the Ratchet And Clank movie. A remastering of the first Ratchet and Clank game would also be released alongside the movie, overseen by Insomniac, but by the time that announcement rolled around, interest was waning terribly. Thankfully, there was a change in pace and focus for the lead-in to the finale, a stirring five-strong string of big-name titles The Last Of Us Remastered, The Phantom Pain, GTAV, Batman Arkham Knight (which looked properly incredible) and the final flourish, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

Just as in Microsoft’s showcase, CGI trailers for games that won’t arrive until late 2015 were slightly too dominant throughout, but it just goes to show that building these ever more complex, expansive and expensive experiences takes time and manpower. Until the next generation truly arrives in late 2015, then, we’ll have to make do with remastered and repackaged titles like The Last Of Us and GTAV, a not entirely unwelcome prospect.

PS4 and Xbox One’s line-ups for the end of this year might not actually look all that different, in fact, and yet Sony’s PS4 continues to represent the better option for players both right now and for the future. The games on show here were more diverse, its firstparty studios can boast of marginally more compelling output and in its partnerships with Activision, Ubisoft and EA it has ensured that some of the biggest forthcoming thirdparty releases will be better on PS4. And unlike Microsoft, it wasn’t scared of talking about its wider ecosystem, either – PlayStation Now, Project Morpheus and PlayStation TV are each smart and intriguing new ways in which PlayStation is broadening its horizons without abandoning its core support altogether.

Another confident display in which Sony trumped Microsoft’s efforts once more, then. PS4 shows no signs of relinquishing its lead over Xbox One anytime soon – and if Sony’s superiority continues like this for much longer, that lead could become all the more drastic by the time E3 2015 arrives.

----------------------------------

Lems am cry. Sheeps don't even get to play :D E3 WON CONFIRMED!

Opinions, SW?

#2 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

It was pretty obvious who had the better e3. I said it last night. Straight up murder.

Sony - 8/10

MS - 6/10

Ubisoft - 5/10

EA - 4/10

#3 Posted by Scipio8 (622 posts) -

LOL Edge you got be blind not to see their bias and hypocrisy.

#4 Edited by always_explicit (2743 posts) -

MS had a conference wall to wall with games. I buy consoles to play games.

PS4 had Uncharted.

#5 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Have to agree. Sony's conference slowed down in the middle, but still came out on top due to diversity and exclusives.

#6 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

PS4 had Uncharted.

lolno

#7 Posted by SecretPolice (21561 posts) -

Lol Edge, they lost their edge years & years ago and now just another Sony drone. :P

#8 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

Lol Edge, they lost their edge years & years ago and now just another Sony drone. :P

Ha! Edge lost their edge! Dem puns! lol

#9 Posted by Suppaman100 (3802 posts) -

Both were very mediocre imo.

Edge lost its edge.

Anyway still won't change the fact that PS4 will have the best exclusives in the future because of their superior first party.

#10 Posted by SecretPolice (21561 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@SecretPolice said:

Ha! Edge lost their edge! Dem puns! lol

Too Punny... haha. :)

#11 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Its not the only site saying Sony beat MS, articles all over the net.

Another big indicator is the amount of dc going on in the Sony e3 conference. Over 5k more views, and 500 posts. Other factions aren't taking it too well, sad because this is supposed to be the time where we forget our gaming disagreements , and enjoy gaming announcements.

#12 Posted by Suppaman100 (3802 posts) -

Yeah actually very weird, I'm seeing more positive things about Sony's conference than MS's. Bother were almost the same, multiplat fest and little exclusive announcements.

#13 Posted by delta3074 (17927 posts) -

This is just so typical, it's pretty obvious they where both about Even.

Cows will say SONY won

Lems will say MS won

Sheep are not as stupid as the other 2.

#14 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1575 posts) -

Yeah actually very weird, I'm seeing more positive things about Sony's conference than MS's. Bother were almost the same, multiplat fest and little exclusive announcements.

I'm seeing the reverse in most comments liek Kotaku, eurogamer, ign, etc.

I really have to watch Ubisoft's. Keep hearing they had the best games.

#15 Edited by musalala (2154 posts) -

They were both pretty meh IMO....

#16 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

This is just so typical, it's pretty obvious they where both about Even.

Cows will say SONY won

Lems will say MS won

Sheep are not as stupid as the other 2. don't even get to play.*

*Fixed

:D

#17 Posted by Sollet (7348 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

Yet Lemmings loved them during 360 era (and cows hated them).

Ah yes hypocrisy indeed.

#18 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

Completely. MS has talked about TV and features before E3, so they were set up already with where they were going entertainment wise, and with Games with Gold. PSTV, PSNOW and PM are interesting if you are into that thing, but game wise I felt MS had a far superior showing. Halo Collection and Forza Horizon 2 have so much in the way of sheer content, lol, while Drive Club wasn't even shown onstage. Sunset Overdrive looked spectacular, Halo 5 beta this year, EVOLVE beta this year first, all DLC content first on the One from CoD, Killer Instinct Season 2, Ori all this fall. MS killed it game wise. Little Big Planet 3... hey, it has its fans but whatever. BloodBorne looks cool, but knowing Crackdown 3 is on the way, and Phantom Dust in dev, Fable Legends next year the games kept coming. The Order didn't wow me with its presentation, nor did the indies as a great deal of them will be on the One as well, and PC already. We can all play Battlefield: Hardline, CoD, AC, Destiny, Madden, Batman, Mass Effect, Star Wars on both consoles. Some will get DLC first or excluisve content, but the vast majority of the game will be on both and lately resolution wise things are evening out slowly.

I just felt the PS show was way to boring towards the end, relied heavily on multiplats, and didn't have that great stage demo. Uncharted will be great and for those that haven't played TLOU they'll enjoy the update, but neither of them outweighed Halo 5 or Quantum Break, which we'll see at Gamescon in a bit. My final scores remain

MS: 8

Sony 6

I could not disagree with that article more. MS has a exclusive 4 player co-op RPG, an open world third-person shooter, open world arcade racer, first-person shooter, indie side-scroller, fighting game, and exclusive TV programming. That's a hell of alot of diversity right there. If Edge had made a case for a draw, I might have considered the article relevant. But a confident Sony win.. what the fuck were they watching? Then again, opinions are like assholes, everybody got one.

#19 Posted by Heil68 (43603 posts) -

Huge media outlets agree, SONY delivered and WON E3.

2 years in a row of knocking MS the fuck out.

Hope MS can recover.

#20 Posted by lglz1337 (3232 posts) -

yup edge knows whats up

MS was a shooter mess

#21 Edited by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Hope MS can recover.

Last year, yeah. This year absolutely not, lol. IMHO of course :)

#22 Posted by Heil68 (43603 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Hope MS can recover.

Last year, yeah. This year absolutely not, lol. IMHO of course :)

Well IMHO they did :)

I own both so in the end I win(like always)

#23 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Scipio8 said:

Completely. MS has talked about TV and features before E3, so they were set up already with where they were going entertainment wise, and with Games with Gold. PSTV, PSNOW and PM are interesting if you are into that thing, but game wise I felt MS had a far superior showing. Halo Collection and Forza Horizon 2 have so much in the way of sheer content, lol, while Drive Club wasn't even shown onstage. Sunset Overdrive looked spectacular, Halo 5 beta this year, EVOLVE beta this year first, all DLC content first on the One from CoD, Killer Instinct Season 2, Ori all this fall. MS killed it game wise. Little Big Planet 3... hey, it has its fans but whatever. BloodBorne looks cool, but knowing Crackdown 3 is on the way, and Phantom Dust in dev, Fable Legends next year the games kept coming. The Order didn't wow me with its presentation, nor did the indies as a great deal of them will be on the One as well, and PC already. We can all play Battlefield: Hardline, CoD, AC, Destiny, Madden, Batman, Mass Effect, Star Wars on both consoles. Some will get DLC first or excluisve content, but the vast majority of the game will be on both and lately resolution wise things are evening out slowly.

I just felt the PS show was way to boring towards the end, relied heavily on multiplats, and didn't have that great stage demo. Uncharted will be great and for those that haven't played TLOU they'll enjoy the update, but neither of them outweighed Halo 5 or Quantum Break, which we'll see at Gamescon in a bit. My final scores remain

Sony 6

I could not disagree with that article more. MS has a exclusive 4 player co-op RPG, an open world third-person shooter, open world arcade racer, first-person shooter, indie side-scroller, fighting game, and exclusive TV programming. That's a hell of alot of diversity right there. If Edge had made a case for a draw, I might have considered the article relevant. But a confident Sony win.. what the fuck were they watching? Then again, opinions are like assholes, everybody got one.

Dude. You contradicted yourself alot in this posts XD

#24 Edited by Animal-Mother (26582 posts) -

Lemmings

How cows think sony was after the conference

I swear did anybody see what I saw yesterday?

#25 Posted by always_explicit (2743 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@always_explicit said:

PS4 had Uncharted.

lolno

So MS didnt have a conference with wall to wall games?

Didnt Sony show Uncharted?

What exactly is your "no" regarding.

My personal preference regarding games?

If so you can jog on. Idiot.

#26 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Scipio8 said:

Sony 6

Nah, just gave my opinion of the games I saw. I don't agree with the article, but as I said at the end, everyone got an opinion. I felt MS had a far better show. Edge discussed Sony's vision and diversity and I pointed out MS detailed their vision on things non-gaming before E3 and at E3 their show not only focused on games, but had a great deal of diversity as well. But the writer of the article has his or her opinion that's just as valid as mine. I greatly disagree with it though.

#27 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@always_explicit said:

PS4 had Uncharted.

lolno

Your implication that Sony only had Uncharted.

#28 Posted by LanceX2 (305 posts) -

Edge saw a different conference then I did. I say neither was better really. Sony did not beat anyone by a landslide, bored me for 30 minutes.

#29 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Scipio8 said:

Sony 6

Nah, just gave my opinion of the games I saw. I don't agree with the article, but as I said at the end, everyone got an opinion. I felt MS had a far better show. Edge discussed Sony's vision and diversity and I pointed out MS detailed their vision on things non-gaming before E3 and at E3 their show not only focused on games, but had a great deal of diversity as well. But the writer of the article has his or her opinion that's just as valid as mine. I greatly disagree with it though.

No, you literally contradicted yourself in that post alone lol Example:

(...), all DLC content first on the One from CoD, Killer Instinct Season 2, Ori all this fall. MS killed it game wise. (...) vs (...) Some will get DLC first or excluisve content, but the vast majority of the game will be on both (..).

Either hype exclusive content or don't, pick one lol

Plus this sentence didn't make much sense:

"BloodBorne looks cool, but knowing Crackdown 3 is on the way, and Phantom Dust in dev, Fable Legends next year the games kept coming."

(...), "relied heavily on multiplats" - oh, MS didn't? lol- , "and didn't have that great stage demo"- Did you not see Batman or No Mans Sky?-. (...)

(..)" Quantum Break, which we'll see at Gamescon in a bit." vs "lol, while Drive Club wasn't even shown onstage" Either criticize stuff for not being shown or don't XD

Me thinks you wrote that post a bit too fast brah :P

#30 Edited by always_explicit (2743 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@always_explicit said:

@Desmonic said:

@always_explicit said:

PS4 had Uncharted.

lolno

Your implication that Sony only had Uncharted.

lolno

#31 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Scipio8 said:

Sony 6

No, you literally contradicted yourself in that post alone lol Example:

(...), all DLC content first on the One from CoD, Killer Instinct Season 2, Ori all this fall. MS killed it game wise. (...) vs (...) Some will get DLC first or excluisve content, but the vast majority of the game will be on both (..).

Either hype exclusive content or don't, pick one lol

Plus this sentence didn't make much sense:

"BloodBorne looks cool, but knowing Crackdown 3 is on the way, and Phantom Dust in dev, Fable Legends next year the games kept coming."

(...), "relied heavily on multiplats" - oh, MS didn't? lol- , "and didn't have that great stage demo"- Did you not see Batman or No Mans Sky?-. (...)

(..)" Quantum Break, which we'll see at Gamescon in a bit." vs "lol, while Drive Club wasn't even shown onstage" Either criticize stuff for not being shown or don't XD

Me thinks you wrote that post a bit too fast brah :P

Now, you just read it to fast:

I'm not hyping exclusive content, just stating that both consoles will have it, but both will see just about all of the multiplat games content.

Second sentence could have been worded better, lol. Just meant MS has a very solid gaming line-up.

Quantum Break will be shown and showcased at an event, while DC wasn't shown at all at E3, the same show Forza Horizon 2 debuted. Wasn't a smart move on Sony's part IMHO.

Read slower next time, lol.

#32 Edited by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

lolno

PS4 had Uncharted.

lolyes

That's what your own post implies.

#33 Posted by l34052 (3133 posts) -

Nothin mind blowing about sonys conference, nothing shown by them blew me away like it would've done back in the day but my effort for sitting through it all was the confirmation of GTA V coming to my ps4.

I love that game more than my own life and play it constantly when work/wife/kids leave me alone for long enough so im hugely excited to see what R* have done with a PS4 version.

Truth be told it'll prob be the pc version we play on our PS4's but im more than happy with that seeing how much R* pulled off with the older consoles.

#34 Posted by wolverine4262 (19089 posts) -

Sony may have had some good stuff to show, but the whole event was such a disgusting unorganized mess that it didnt matter.

Microsoft, on the other hand, was focused and clear in their purpose. They made a significantly more compelling argument for why you should buy an X1 this year.

#35 Edited by Chutebox (36762 posts) -

Only difference between Sony and MS conference was Sony's was longer and had stuff in the middle. Same shit from both for me.

#36 Posted by Desmonic (13525 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

I'm not hyping exclusive content, just stating that both consoles will have it, but both will see just about all of the multiplat games content.

Second sentence could have been worded better, lol. Just meant MS has a very solid gaming line-up.

Quantum Break will be shown and showcased at an event, while DC wasn't shown at all at E3, the same show Forza Horizon 2 debuted. Wasn't a smart move on Sony's part IMHO.

Nah, you clearly hyped it the first part brah :P Or you used it as postive for the first part of the post, vs a neutral one later one.

Now that doesn't make sense :P Hyping a possible QB showcase (which was not show this E3) and criticizing a lack of DC this year (which can have a Gamescom event for all I know) seems double standard-y brah XD

#37 Edited by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

If MS had shown half of the filler from guys in suits that Sony showed, then they would be getting crucified upside down. All I know is that they showed wall to wall games with no down time and a lot more that I am excited for. *Shrugs* Whatever.

#38 Posted by Netret0120 (2048 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

yup edge knows whats up

MS was a shooter mess

Yeah I just saw shooter after shooter and lost interest quickly. It looked fantastic but shooter after shooter after shooter. I liked the fact Sony had so many diverse games from indies to littlebigplanet with it's inevitable shooter collection aswell.

#39 Posted by wolverine4262 (19089 posts) -

The cow delusion never ceases to amaze me.

#40 Posted by kuu2 (7001 posts) -

I guess the TC is picking and choosing the media outlets biased on who liked Sony more.

#41 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

Nah, you clearly hyped it the first part brah :P Or you used it as postive for the first part of the post, vs a neutral one later one.

Now that doesn't make sense :P Hyping a possible QB showcase (which was not show this E3) and criticizing a lack of DC this year (which can have a Gamescom event for all I know) seems double standard-y brah XD

Only a little bit, brah :)

#42 Posted by remiks00 (1743 posts) -

I dunno if I can agree with Edge.., both conferences were really meh. Sony's started off strong, but "quickly" became a snooze fest. I can't specifically remember, but Microsoft's seems to have been consistently talking about games. Every game wasn't WOW worthy, but they were consistent.

#43 Edited by Telekill (4431 posts) -

Microsoft showed us the new Tomb Raider.

Sony showed us the new Uncharted, plus a few other games I'll buy.

Ubisoft had the new AC games that I'll eventually buy.

EA had Mass Effect 4 that I'll buy.

It's not a matter of which of them won, because gamers are this year's winners. Right now is a good time to be a gamer.

#44 Posted by always_explicit (2743 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@always_explicit said:

lolno

@always_explicit said:

PS4 had Uncharted.

lolyes

That's what your own post implies.

But PS4 did have Uncharted. Which is fantastic. I like Uncharted 1 and 2.

#45 Edited by xxyetixx (1264 posts) -

@shawn30: Agreed, MS said they were only talking about games for the E3 conference. They announced, changes to Xbox Live,Games with gold for X1 adding more apps, and other non gaming features in the 2 weeks before E3.

MS delivered, showed me some really great games, I was informed on the new features X1 is offering me before the conference.

Bias articles are bias, lol

There shouldn't be any disappointed X1 owners after that E3

#46 Posted by NFJSupreme (5192 posts) -

Meh it wasn't that good. Article seems hella biased.

#47 Edited by StormyJoe (4964 posts) -

@Desmonic: Edge has a hard on for Sony right now. Both conferences had their strengths and weaknesses. I don't think one outperformed another.

#48 Edited by gamefan67 (9876 posts) -

I swear I must have watched a different conference...

out of almost 2 hours Sony only showed 5 minutes of anything worth while. The Order was okay but incredibly short, Destiny looked worse than it did from when it was first revealed, LBP3 was a nice surprise, Bloodborne was nice but almost nothing was shown (same goes for UC4).

So are we getting excited for Sony T.V. and remastered versions of games that released less than a year ago?

MS' conference wasn't all that great either, but at the very least they did not bore me to tears for minutes on end so I would rate it above Sony's conference.

#49 Edited by charizard1605 (56260 posts) -

Sorry Des, there's a sticky to discuss Sony's E3 conference, so I'm gonna lock this