EA's ridiculous forum moderation will ban you for someone else's swearing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/05/ea-origin-bans-update-edition/

I'm building up quite the portfolio of affected gamers, who find after a forum violation they're unable to access their Origin games. And within this is a more disturbing trend – those who are finding that their forum bans are, without explanation, becoming permanent bans. Permanent bans from accessing their Origin accounts, their Battlelog accounts, and therefore downloading purchased games, and playing online. Something which obviously raises serious questions about consumer rights, which is of course another angle we're currently investigating.

The pattern tends to go like this:

Person says a naughty word on an EA forum.
Person receives 72 hour ban from forums, which blocks Origin too.
Person contacts EA customer support and is told "tough".
Person writes to RPS.

With the occasional addition of:

Person finds their ban has become permanent with no warning, and no option to appeal.

Of those people who contact us, we tend to get two types. The first who write invective-speckled fury on the forum, and then to us, and obviously entirely deserve their forum bans. The second are those who have done absolutely nothing wrong on the forums, but are punished erroneously, either for quoting an insult someone else has called them, or doing nothing offensive whatsoever. But neither group, according to EA's words to us in March, should be being banned from Origin or accessing their games. A statement, however, that EA doesn't appear willing to repeat nine months on.

So there's Rob, who was accused of posting a commercial to his support site – a site that EA links to itself in its own support site FAQ – who received a ban. And James, permanently banned (until his account mysteriously popped back to life recently, with no communication from anyone) for saying "e-peen". We've heard from Alex, who put a sweary joke on the forum, not directed at anyone, and found himself locked out of his games. Toma got in touch to say that after previous bans for what sound like entirely unacceptable forum posts, months later he has now found himself banned because of his Gravatar logo – a Reddit troll face. Buh? Pointing out that one of the main devs at EA uses the Me Gusta face got nowhere, and he has been told he'll learn of his account's fate in seven days, so certainly longer than the traditional 72 hour ban, potentially permanent.

Most exceptional perhaps is Aaron, who after receiving a 72 hour ban was told by EA support they couldn't help because "the game developers control this". Pardon? His crime? Someone else swearing on the forum, with his username in their post. Trying the live chat support instead, he was then informed that his account was permanently banned, and that "all property, items, and characters associated currently are or will soon be deleted." Followed by, "Is there anything else I can do for you?" Aaron tried again, pointing out that forum bans shouldn't affect games. And then came this incredible reply:

"Please be informed that your account not only suspended, But it is also Banned, So you will no longer to play the game in single player."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.328868-EA-now-issuing-permanent-Origin-bans-through-content-filter?page=1

So, not only do they ban you from accessing the games you paid full price for if you break their forum rules, but sometimes it is completely unjustified. Someone swearing with your name in THEIR post is somehow your fault. And, if you contact EA for an explanation, you get a "tough luck", a sudden perma ban and lose the ability to ever play your games even in singleplayer.

Think about it. Imagine if someone posted "godamn it F*** you Ravenloud" on the steam forums and suddenly I won't be able to play Counter Strike, Team Forteress 2, Portal 2 or any valve games in my library, even if I bought them on disk!

Plus

Get auto-suspended from BF3 forums based on their content filter? Had that suspension result in your account deleted and characters terminated (according to Abdul in support)?

BONUS! The ban also will wipe out your access to Bad Company 2, even if you bought it through Steam like I did!

-From escapist link above

This is a utter insult in the face of consumers. It's "you're paying for a license" accompanied with a massive middle finger while dancing in front your face with a rickrolling trollface.jpg.

Why should anyone buy any of EA's games with their non existant customer support and disturbingly milked franchises anyway?

(Getting this post up was a complete struggle against HTML errors, apparently the escapist link just won't work no matter what due to some characters in it, GlitchSpot I am dissapoint :evil: )

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Ah i see, the forum can accept commands so "F**k you Aaron!" is actually a command and was carried out successfully.. What a clever system.

Oh and btw you ARE paying for a license, it has always been like this forever and ever.

MisterWWEfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MisterWWEfan
Member since 2011 • 124 Posts
Wow, that gotta suck! I understand cussing can be bad when its used in a way, in a way that could offend others (I hate them), but banning you to play their games? I'm sorry, but thats just wrong, and for the fact that you pay $60 for it, thats straight up wrong if you think about it. I could understand If its out of line, but still, they shouldn't ban you to play their games just because you cussed on a freaking forum, its just wrong. Then again, I barely cuss, so this doesn't effect me.
Nega3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nega3
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

Absolutely disgusting.

Too bad my favourite series ever (Burnout) is published by those dumbasses.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

So, not only do they ban you from accessing the games you paid full price for if you break their forum rules, but sometimes it is completely unjustified. Someone swearing with your name in THEIR post is somehow your fault. And, if you contact EA for an explanation, you get a "tough luck", a sudden perma ban and lose the ability to ever play your games even in singleplayer.

Think about it. Imagine if someone posted "godamn it F*** you Ravenloud" on the steam forums and suddenly I won't be able to play Counter Strike, Team Forteress 2, Portal 2 or any valve games in my library, even if I bought them on disk!

This is a utter insult in the face of consumers. It's "you're paying for a license" accompanied with a massive middle finger while dancing in front your face with a rickrolling trollface.jpg.

Why should anyone buy any of EA's games with their non existant customer support and disturbingly milked franchises anyway?

RavenLoud

That is absolutely f*cking ridiculous. Nobody should be locked out of their game for something that happened on a forum, especially if it was out of their control.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#6 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
This is the kind of BS that is a testament to how DD is far from being the wonderful thing many make it out to be.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

EA never made any sense with their idiocy,since I decided to boycott Origin due to spyware issues,if I approached the EA forums and posted anything,would probably get banned instantly :P

I hate EA a lot,explaining all my reasons would take for quite a long time,so we'll just do the basics:Buying great developers and slowly killing them with corporate crap,introduction of Online Passes,overpriced DLC,butchering of C&C franchise,Origin spyware,etc.

Also,off-topic,I love your sig,both the Ubisoft-pirates and that quote :)

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I actually planned on trying origin out, after hearing about all this stuff though I don't care how rare it is that this happens. The simple fact that things like this happen is more than enough reason for me to avoid origin like the plague.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I don't think I'll be going back to EA's forums. The risk is just too great to justify participating in their community.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The more sh*t that comes out about EA and their draconian practices, the more justified my boycott of their products becomes.
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
This is why I always keep two accounts on all sites that use such a system, such as Ubi forums, EA forums and Steam forums. One for the games, and one for forum posts. And I make sure that they never find out what my game account is.
DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

This is why I always keep two accounts on all sites that use such a system, such as Ubi forums, EA forums and Steam forums. One for the games, and one for forum posts. And I make sure that they never find out what my game account is.starjet905
Steam don't let you use your game-account with Forum account, so if you get banned on their forum you can still play your games.

Anyway BF3 is my last EA game. Btw do anyone know if you need EA account to post on SW-TOR forum? Will be fun to see how EA reacts when they ban alot of people that play SW-TOR...you know Forum+MMORPG= fun time :D.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

[QUOTE="starjet905"]This is why I always keep two accounts on all sites that use such a system, such as Ubi forums, EA forums and Steam forums. One for the games, and one for forum posts. And I make sure that they never find out what my game account is.DarkblueNinja

Steam don't let you use your game-account with Forum account, so if you get banned on their forum you can still play your games.

Anyway BF3 is my last EA game. Btw do anyone know if you need EA account to post on SW-TOR forum? Will be fun to see how EA reacts when they ban alot of people that play SW-TOR...you know Forum+MMORPG= fun time :D.

Oh, yeah, they don't. But just to be on the safe side, I have two different names. :D Well, I doubt EA would be quick to ban there. No more subscription fees if they do. :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
protip: don't use the EA forums.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
This is the kind of BS that is a testament to how DD is far from being the wonderful thing many make it out to be.DerekLoffin
your physical retail copies are also banned :/
captaincavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 captaincavey
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have been banned as of November 26th due to a TOS violation. They didn't like my avatar. It was the old cartoon character Captain Caveman. I got an email from one person telling me that my account should of never been banned...then a few days later...my account was permanently banned. Now all of my games linked to my E-mail address and blocked even the ones bought and ran through Steam. This is not just an Origins ban!!! I've sent tons of e-mails and little response. I'm getting ready to call a lawyer......I have over 10 EA games which are now unplayable.....BECAUSE OF A CARTOON PICTURE!!!!!
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

And I thought our forums were strict.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="starjet905"]This is why I always keep two accounts on all sites that use such a system, such as Ubi forums, EA forums and Steam forums. One for the games, and one for forum posts. And I make sure that they never find out what my game account is.DarkblueNinja

your SWTOR.com account is your EA account
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Wow. EA sucks.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I guess EA didn't like the fact Activision was taking all the hate away from them. Looks like they want it back, they've been on a tear lately.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
protip: don't use the EA forums.BrunoBRS
even if this wasnt happening, id still avoid them...probably a cesspool of scum and villainy
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

It doesn't affect EA. Their consumers are mostly kids. And they often can't help it and don't have much self control to boycott a gaming company no matter how abusive that company might be to their consumer rights.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

You'd think people would have realized not to post on EA's forums by now, but I guess not.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

You'd think people would have realized not to buy EA's games by now, but I guess not.

DarkLink77

This would be better. (yehyeh I know editing quotes is offensive)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

You'd think people would have realized not to buy EA's games by now, but I guess not.

DrTrafalgarLaw

This would be better. (yehyeh I know editing quotes is offensive)

It's cool, I was just thinking that myself. :lol: Garbage publisher.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
This is the final straw for me...wow.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
@ RavenLoud Go see a lawyer.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ronvalencia

Ah i see, the forum can accept commands so "F**k you Aaron!" is actually a command and was carried out successfully.. What a clever system.

Oh and btw you ARE paying for a license, it has always been like this forever and ever.

JohnF111

Depending on the jurisdiction, consumer laws can still cover the paid licensing situation i.e. does it "fit for the purpose" test.

Demand for a refund if it fails the "fit for the purpose" test.

PS; I bought my BF3 PC as a retail box in Oz.

nurnberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nurnberg
Member since 2005 • 1313 Posts

I can't believe this is true. This is clearly abuse of powers.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

EA is now worse than Activision and Capcom put together.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Wonder how EA would respond to a significant amount of users spamming their boards with protests?

EA never made any sense with their idiocy,since I decided to boycott Origin due to spyware issues,if I approached the EA forums and posted anything,would probably get banned instantly :P

I hate EA a lot,explaining all my reasons would take for quite a long time,so we'll just do the basics:Buying great developers and slowly killing them with corporate crap,introduction of Online Passes,overpriced DLC,butchering of C&C franchise,Origin spyware,etc.

Also,off-topic,I love your sig,both the Ubisoft-pirates and that quote :)

Rocker6

Them suffocating development studios is kind of water under the bridge. EA has reformed and moved past that, now they're more into strangling their customers.
This is why I always keep two accounts on all sites that use such a system, such as Ubi forums, EA forums and Steam forums. One for the games, and one for forum posts. And I make sure that they never find out what my game account is.starjet905

Ideally you'd have one account for every game you buy too.

I have been banned as of November 26th due to a TOS violation. They didn't like my avatar. It was the old cartoon character Captain Caveman. I got an email from one person telling me that my account should of never been banned...then a few days later...my account was permanently banned. Now all of my games linked to my E-mail address and blocked even the ones bought and ran through Steam. This is not just an Origins ban!!! I've sent tons of e-mails and little response. I'm getting ready to call a lawyer......I have over 10 EA games which are now unplayable.....BECAUSE OF A CARTOON PICTURE!!!!! captaincavey
You should do that. Seems to be the only thing EA responds to. Although I'm not sure if you can file a clas action lawsuit against EA since you agreed to their ToS. I should say I know extremely little about the US legal system.

Avatar image for AtheistPreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AtheistPreacher
Member since 2002 • 1130 Posts

I actually planned on trying origin out, after hearing about all this stuff though I don't care how rare it is that this happens. The simple fact that things like this happen is more than enough reason for me to avoid origin like the plague.Moriarity_

For BF3 at least, it's not something you can choose to use or not use. Even if you buy a physical copy at a retailer, and even if all you want to do is play single player. You MUST use Origin to play the game at all. In fact, you need to wait for Origin to launch, then Origin launches your internet browser, and only then are you allowed to launch the game. Seriously. And I can only guess they'll start giving all their games this treatment.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Never had to download a large amount of data trough Origin before as the only Origin game I have is the retail version of Battlefield 3. Tyring to download the 3.9GB Battlefield 3 update through it and not impressed at all. First of all the speed of 240kb/s is not impressive at all. Further more, according to modems measurements of network traffic this is been over inflated by 30%. Got the download to about 25% when and I paused it. 30 minutes later I attempted to resume it and it reset to 5% and now I'm only getting 70kb/s. Origin Uninstalled.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Wow, I thought that part of of Terms of Use was just theoretical. I didn't realize EA was terrible enough to have actually banned people from gaming, innocent people no less.

Jeez, finally they start to make good games this gen and get Capcom and Activision more hated then them, then they do so many boneheaded moves it boggles the mind.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Never had to download a large amount of data trough Origin before as the only Origin game I have is the retail version of Battlefield 3. Tyring to download the 3.9GB Battlefield 3 update through it and not impressed at all. First of all the speed of 240kb/s is not impressive at all. Further more, according to modems measurements of network traffic this is been over inflated by 30%. Got the download to about 25% when and I paused it. 30 minutes later I attempted to resume it and it reset to 5% and now I'm only getting 70kb/s. Origin Uninstalled.Marka1700

I had it downloading at 2MB/s. Sucks for you.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Marka1700

[QUOTE="Marka1700"]Never had to download a large amount of data trough Origin before as the only Origin game I have is the retail version of Battlefield 3. Tyring to download the 3.9GB Battlefield 3 update through it and not impressed at all. First of all the speed of 240kb/s is not impressive at all. Further more, according to modems measurements of network traffic this is been over inflated by 30%. Got the download to about 25% when and I paused it. 30 minutes later I attempted to resume it and it reset to 5% and now I'm only getting 70kb/s. Origin Uninstalled.ChubbyGuy40

I had it downloading at 2MB/s. Sucks for you.

No way I could get that speed. But I at least expect the 600-700kb/s I get out of other DD services.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ronvalencia

Wow, I thought that part of of Terms of Use was just theoretical. I didn't realize EA was terrible enough to have actually banned people from gaming, innocent people no less.

Jeez, finally they start to make good games this gen and get Capcom and Activision more hated then them, then they do so many boneheaded moves it boggles the mind.

SPYDER0416

The contract doesn't override local laws.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Marka1700

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

ronvalencia

The contract doesn't override local laws.

Good luck getting them enforced unless you can afford a really good lawyer.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#39 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
And this is why I never post on Steam forums (I know it's separate from my game account, but after reading some threads on that site in some case a game is giving me problems, some posters do get a little pissy if you say the wrong thing...a lot worse than SW :?). EA just seems a lot more strict with their game library linked with your forum account (which is a stupid, stupid idea). Anyway, I've learned a long time ago that it's just not worth even so much as chatting in-game nowdays, because getting suspended/banned is as easy as someone falsifying a report against you, and for some reason or another, the ones who deal out the punishments buy it.